Are There Any Antique Car Owners On Here Anymore?

hddennis

Multiple posts on here by myself and others seem to go unanswered or ignored ( I can't tell which) lately. I'm trying to find out what a twin coil set fits made by Delco Remy and can't seem to get any responses from antique parts suppliers, restorers and most importantly owners of Cadillac and Packard  V12 and/or V16 automobiles. I've come here for years for help and information and have always tried to help other owners to return the favor whenever possible. Have I asked an unanswerable question? Is it too much to ask owners of these cars to at least answer if what I have is the same or different from what they have on these type automobiles?

Howard Dennis

IMG_2642.jpg.8f7229ba98af900ff6161efb6b75dc9c.jpg.23bc47bc8f440b720a6c4410f5ca09ef.jpgIMG_2643.jpg.b2ddbad95dec4ef030d99730b1ddde46.jpg.b96530012e2c8174c5989d556c97ee5c.jpgIMG_2644.jpg.6dcb66914939f434f3b6ef5e1a2d9e91.jpg.cb35f0b2039daf59103e2cb1d7047b99.jpg

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

• Phillip Cole changed the title to Are There Any Antique Car Owners On Here Anymore
  • hddennis changed the title to Are There Any Antique Car Owners On Here Anymore?

Howard, people are happy to help--if they can.

You may know that some categories on the forum

are widely seen and answered, such as "General

Discussion" and "What is it?"  Others are little seen,

and questions go unanswered, making use of those

categories difficult.

Where have you been posting your question?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Howard, people are happy to help--if they can.

You may know that some categories on the forum

are widely seen and answered, such as "General

Discussion" and "What is it?"  Others are little seen,

and questions go unanswered, making use of those

categories difficult.

Where have you been posting your question?

Two posts on What Is It? and one each on Cadillac & LaSalle and Packard.

Howard Dennis

I would imagine that the number of people that own actual antique cars is getting smaller. I am in my late 60's and my ownership experience only goes back to 1950's era cars. Except for Model Ts and Model As it's harder to get into the antiques as the prices have risen so much over time. I suppose that your best resource would be a marque specific club. On the other hand, if you've got a question concerning a '96 Mustang, I'd be happy to help!

• Like 1

By definition from a reliable source I am the owner of a couple of antique cars.

The Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) recognizes "motorized vehicles 25 years old or older, which were built in factories and specifically designed and manufactured for transportation use on public roadways and highways." Judging by the AACA evaluates such vehicles to be in historic or that have "been restored

• Like 2

I am an antique car owner. If I have the time available and it's something I'm sort of familiar with, I'll try to help. Sometimes parts can be identified without too much trouble. Other times, not so much. OK, a part number. Is it for a car, truck, bus, tractor, grader, spreader, industrial, machinery, or what? The number might be in those books somewhere or it might not.  Sometimes you look for a long time and that exact part number just cannot be found. I have occasionally identified parts and posted results without even a thank you or any acknowledgement at all from the OP. For time reasons, some responders just have to pick & choose their spots. 

IMG_1486.JPG

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

By definition from a reliable source I am the owner of a couple of antique cars.

I decided to rewrite this response to be more in line with my thoughts (and humor). 

Howard,

60FlatTop isn’t Bernie’s age and hair style. There are plenty of us old car folks still here on the forum that are happy to answer the questions we have answers for. Sometimes the answer may not come right away or ever.  I get your frustration but often some of the more obscure questions take the right person to come across the post.

Edited by Stude Light
Reworded properly (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I will answer questions that I am reasonably confident I have a correct answer for. Assuming, of course, that I see the question. The the case of the question in the original post, I don't know.

With respect to the topic title question of "are there any antique car owners on here anymore?": I hope to own an antique car in about 10 years. I have had my 90 year old car for 50 years. If I still have it 10 in years it will reach the magic age of 100 where things other than cars start being called antique. In the meantime, I just have an "old car".

Maybe we should create and trademark a term for cars over 100 years old. Something like "Full Antique" as play against "Full Classic" used by the CCCA people. :)

• Like 3

I own multiple antique cars. I am an antique car dealer. I live, breathe, and sleep old cars, for better or for worse. I always try to help people when I can and I can attest to the fact that the people on this board are incredibly generous with their time, knowledge, and compassion. 

That said, I have no idea about your coils. No clue at all. Should I have chimed in to tell you that? Should I have just made a crazy WAG? I don't see how that would be helpful. If I don't know, I don't offer advice or answers. Better to say nothing than to spread bad information is how I feel about it.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

hddennis:

To help you narrow down what the mounting bracket might fit, here are some links to the discussion of dual ignition coils which were used by the 1933 and 1934 Packard Eights and Super Eights:

Re: What modell used this coil base? [Pre-War (1899-1942)] - Packard Motor Car Information (packardinfo.com)

The Packard 12 and a number of other luxury makes used dual ignition coils during the period, a question Owen Dyneto answered here:

Re: Why dual ignition coils? [Pre-War (1899-1942)] - Packard Motor Car Information (packardinfo.com)

Hope this helps.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the best parts of my day is having an opportunity to help with someone’s problem wether it be parts ID car ID or some other issue related how to or why does this happen.  I have a lot of books in reach around my work area for this reason.  The coil you pictured is something I never saw so can’t offer any advice.  Hope you get an answer as I would like to know too.

• Like 4

Howard D, I too have noticed that general activity in both this and the MTFCA forums has been down the recent couple months. Ed M wasn't updating his adventures much, several others also not starting as many threads as they often have. Without the especially interesting "adventure" or project threads, others of us with nothing good to share have nothing to comment upon.

General discussion, cars for sale, period photos (thank you Walt and others!), and what is it are the only sections here I look at almost every day. Several other areas I catch up on maybe once most weeks.

I do enjoy this site! Thank you AACA.

• Like 4

Being that cars from the 21st century are going to become “antique” in a couple of years the word is becoming meaningless across the spectrum of 1900s into the 30s & 40s and then the late 90s. Too much differentiation and specialization.  

When talking about my 20s to 40s cars I use the word “ancient”.  Those cars have little to nothing that is comparable to my 70s & 80s cars.  

Now as mentioned above.  You want a part identified. The exact identification can perhaps come from the numbers (but are they part or casting numbers?) but in most cases car  parts are identified in somebody’s mind.  Car people think in 3 dimensions and memorize shapes. 

A person who is incredibly familiar with a make, model or era and has handled many many different parts.  They see the posted picture and like facial recognition software, they run that picture against all the images in their mind that look similar.  When they think they have a match, THEN the numbers are confirmed with a book.  

The problem: You have a dual coil bracket that maybe, perhaps, might be from a multi cylinder Full Classic. (and I truly suspect that you are hoping that it doe$ fit one of those high $$$ cars) 

How many people (regulars?) on these boards have much experience touching, handling, repairing those types of cars?  The home collectors who had and repaired the big Classics did so in the 50s to 70s.  The club level experts in big Classics have all retired from the hobby or have died.  

The people who regularly touch and handle the parts from the big boys toys are paid professional restorers.  For those people the cars are more of a job and they they don’t hang around socializing on a message board away from work.  

This is why there’s lots of help and expertise for “affordable” cars around here and very little for the money cars.  

So if your part is from a big money car, it’s probably why we are not going to recognize it. 

• Like 10

I see your post on the "What is it" forum. Looks like you did get some response, alrhough not a positive Id.

What do you plan to do with it when you find out what it fits?

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

I see your post on the "What is it" forum. Looks like you did get some response, alrhough not a positive Id.

What do you plan to do with it when you find out what it fits?

Find a new owner for it.

Howard Dennis

• Haha 1

I found this by just googling 1936 Cadillac V16.    There were not many V16 made so it may be an easy hunt for you. If it is the correct one you are missing the top cover that would be a harder find than the holder I would think.  I will let you take over now. Good luck and try googling. 

Cadillac V16 Series 38-90 Convertible Coupe (LHD) Auctions - Lot 20 -  Shannons

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe in Canada said:

I found this by just googling 1936 Cadillac V16.    There were not many V16 made so it may be an easy hunt for you. If it is the correct one you are missing the top cover that would be a harder find than the holder I would think.  I will let you take over now. Good luck and try googling. 

Cadillac V16 Series 38-90 Convertible Coupe (LHD) Auctions - Lot 20 -  Shannons

Thanks Joe,

been all over Google collecting images since a V16 owner responded several hours ago on another post. Appreciate your help.

Howard Dennis

Another problem with Delco is they made ignitions for all types of engines. Marine, HD truck , Fire engines, stationary power units and probably aircraft as well. Just so many posible applications, many non automotive.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

I'm stunned! I thought @The 55er knew what EVERY part was! Seriously, he has helped me identify parts more times than I can count................😃

Hey, I don't know what most things are! Once in a while I'll recognize a piece, other times it might look like a Chevrolet or a Mopar part or something and I'll look in that direction. Most times though I am clueless. I have guessed wrong many times. Sometimes though even the blind squirrel finds the acorn. The ones that stick in my craw are when I see an unknown item and I know I've seen (or handled or touched it or owned a car with it) in the past and then I can't get it out of my head. I might dig and dig until I find it or until one of the "real Forum parts guys" like Keiser31 or drwatson & others have identified it, those folks have my utmost respect. I showed those Delco Parts manuals because they are over 6 inches thick and there are literally many thousands of numbers in there. It can be very time comsuming to research one item and the exact number I'm looking for may not be in there at all. IMO members can make parts easier to ID if they give as much info about it as possible like size, part numbers, casting marks (like DDCP), what they think it might be or even where they found it. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2023 at 1:44 PM, m-mman said:

This is why there’s lots of help and expertise for “affordable” cars around here and very little for the money cars.  

Excellent post, but even on affordable cars/trucks it does seem like it's getting harder to get help on things.

I've often wondered why I help others of like kind in the DBC when I can't even get a sniff of help in return sometimes, so I feel Howards frustration.

We all deal with it from time to time, I've always thought it was the nature of the hobby as we go through seasons of plenty and then dry spells....

and I've also wondered if the posts on the forum are so many that they (my posts) get buried and seem to be be forgotten by those who can help. 

@hddennis If we really stop to think about it I'd bet there are many other reasons why posts seem to be ignored and unfortunetly we've only touched on a few in this thread...

Hang in there Howard, the good news is help is on the way. The bad news is it may take months or years...

sometimes the waiting is the hardest part (pun intended).

Good luck in your search

Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks Dave,

It looks like the squeaky wheel (me) may have gotten the grease! Got a response on another post and it seems like the coil set fits 1938-1940 Cadillac Series 90 V-16's. Just waiting for final measuremnts to verify. Will post what I finally learn.

Howard Dennis

• Like 2