1934 Packard Twelve 1107 Club Sedan on BaT

18 minutes ago, cjmarzoli said:

At least its not 2 tone baby blue like most of the cars of this vintage get repainted.

Maybe the owner at the time was a clown in the shriners circus?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

And one of the photos shows it took a 1st place at the CCCA event - why? what is authentic about the colors? SO authnticiiity is not a major factor in car judging?

Interior looks nice. so does the engine compartment.

• Like 5

The car has been advertised as an authentic color combo in the past.  Its an old restoration.  Last time I saw it the paint was checked.  So, its time to pick your own colors.

Packard and Rolls did have a color called Chrome Yellow in 1928. But they can only be verified as used on a Rolls a single time………..the 34 Packard ad was also used for a justification of this car……….

IMG_1099.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Packard and Rolls did have a color called Chrome Yellow in 1928. But they can only be verified as used on a Rolls a single time………..the 34 Packard ad was also used for a justification of this car……….

IMG_1099.png

TAXI!!

image.jpeg.73de4532d6542bed2bcbb0cbfefbe6a4.jpeg

• Like 2

I hope everyone hates the colors as much as you all do! Maybe I can get a deal on this one.    I'm not saying I love them nor that I would have painted it this way.    But I don't hate it and at least its different from your common seen pukey light blues and tans, and the two toning pattern is ostensibly correct.  

34 Packard 12 is probably the pinnacle of all Packard production.   It is the top of the mountain.   This car is a product of a generation and time when collectors wanted their car to stand out.  Sort of like naming your kid something stupid or misspelling their name to make them unique.

It is a great car.  Usually I can think of a way to tone it down,  but other than putting the correct tires on it and throwing the pilot rays in the trash I don't know what else to say.   Maybe repainting the light orange color black?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Maybe repainting the light orange color black?

or maybe some shade of brown.  Needs to be darker than the body color.  I prefer the painted grille shell to the plated one.

I'm sure this one campaigned under "you could have any color you wanted", which was true.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

or maybe some shade of brown.  Needs to be darker than the body color.  I prefer the painted grille shell to the plated one.

I'm sure this one campaigned under "you could have any color you wanted", which was true.

I didn't even notice the grill!    Agree,  dark brown fenders, body color grill,  correct tires and toss the pilot rays and we have a winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bryankazmer said:

"you could have any color you wanted", which was true.

Yes, for about $40 to $50 extra cost BUT who in 1934 had that kind of $. It was the depths of the depression. which did not take hold until the end of 1930 a year after the crash ( the majority of people thought the crash was a thing that would recover over time and much quicker but it wasn't)

Back in the 1960s when I first got into the old car hobby , cars were painted bright colors based on magazine ads of the same era. The owner of the car would frame the ad and display it with the car to justify the color. Well the ad agencies and the advertising/promotion dept. of the car manufacturers were there to sell cars so the bright colors in the ads would make people reading a magazine stop and spend further time. Mission accomplished. BUT if they did go to the showroom and a car in bright colors was at the center of the floor did they order one just like it ? Nope , conservative colors was what they paid for. the bright colors may work in a magazine advertisement but when put into a three dimensional object like a 18 foot long car not so much. The attitude in the pre war era was not so much like it is today that of "lookie me, notice me, I am important"

Warmer climates in the USA did see lighter colors - Florida, California - sunshine - also a dark color in a lot of sun holds the heat and scalds your arm if you rest it on a door edge while driving! Remember those days before universal A/C?  window open , arm on the door while driving.

I had a Professor when in college for Art that worked as a commercial artist in the pre WWII era, we had classes at his house as he had an incredible library to share of what was done over the course of history on art in advertising. I often stayed after everyone left to continue conversations which of course drifted into cars as well and how they were presented. Bright colors sold car in promotion but when actually sold the product did not wear the promotional colors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

There was a 33 or 34 coupe roadster in similar colors here in CT for many years.  It was part of a nice collection, rest were a bit more toned down.  I think I last saw it at Hershey maybe 10 years ago.

My first knee-jerk reaction to a car painted a horrible color is to think “maybe you could buy it cheap.”

I wonder if later in life I would encounter a lot of anger and resistance if I strongly encouraged my two single daughters to date exclusively paint and body men?

• Haha 5

I saw this car in person many years ago at the Straits Area Antique Auto Show in St. Ignace, MI. Granted, that is a show that has become dominated by street rods, yet the result was interesting; People's Choice for Best of Show. I couldn't argue as in person it was, by far, the most memorable car at the show.

• Like 1

The tires are the easy part, it’s the color….and I’m just guessing, but with all the break lines to deal with, it’s probably just as expensive to paint the whole car as it is the paint the light orange and then you could pick a color without having to work with the dark orange, which is not a color I’d have chosen either. 

I think at that price there's still room for a $50,000 paint job to make it Packard Blue or maroon or dark green or something attractive. A '34 Twelve club sedan is the most desirable closed non-custom Packard there is and I think there's still meat on the bone for a car in proper colors.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I think at that price there's still room for a $50,000 paint job to make it Packard Blue or maroon or dark green or something attractive. A '34 Twelve club sedan is the most desirable closed non-custom Packard there is and I think there's still meat on the bone for a car in proper colors.

I think that is a tough car to paint for 50k.

• Like 1

I agree with AJ, if the car was painted in enamel recently and it was prepared properly, meaning down to the bare metal then yes.  When you start to deal with cracked paint and the car has acres of landscape to deal with.  I can see hours of hand sanding to the shiny metal, pull glass, throw fabric top away to paint inset, partially remove interior as they painted multi colors deep into door jams.  I will go out on a limb and say that to give a paint job to take to the show field $75,000(not pebble), and then pray that you do not find other items that are impossible to see on a internet auction until it is sitting in front of you, ask me how I know?

• Like 1

If you think the paint color was over the top, wait till someone removes the paint to find out what’s underneath it. Look at the chassis photos closely……….tells you everything you need to know. Been there, done that, seen it ten thousand times before.

27 minutes ago, edinmass said:

If you think the paint color was over the top, wait till someone removes the paint to find out what’s underneath it. Look at the chassis photos closely……….tells you everything you need to know. Been there, done that, seen it ten thousand times before.

You'll have to fill us in on what you saw on the chassis. Apparently the listing has been taken down.

I mean it’s definitely different. I can’t say that I hate it but can can’t say I like it. 

38 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

You'll have to fill us in on what you saw on the chassis. Apparently the listing has been taken down.

It is still there West.  I see nothing wrong with the chassis other than it doesn't match the shiny paint.  If the car had 60 year old paint on it the chassis would be fine to me.

1934_packard_sedan_IMG_2997-50290-scaled.jpeg?fit=2048%2C1536