Craftsman rachet repair parts

Hey all.

The little nib on the inside of the directional switch on my Craftsman 44985 snapped off.

Any ideas on where a replacement can be found?

I don't want to pay much for this one part, plus I have two other similar ones that work.

It's just too good a tool not to try to repair.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Rachet.jpg

Lowes now owns Craftsman.  Bring it to them and see if they still honor a replacement guarantee similar to what Sears use to have.  

• Like 2

I believe the warranty is still there, but he would be trading a good old tool (granted, a broken one) for an inferior new tool. 

If you like the exchange idea:

Ace hardware also has craftsman now, if they are a more local to you option. 

Gas money might be better spent cruising yard sales for an inexpensive replacement. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, MountGileadGuy said:

Thanks - good to know about Lowe's.

I do have cheap, newer ratchet I'll bring in.

As Gossp states, I hate to give up a great older tool, even though it doesn't work! 

eBay might be the next step for a 44985.

Thanks again!

Apparently this is a fairly common problem as there's a repair kit for it...

craftsman 1/2 ratchet repair kit 44985

I've also seen them on Amazon or Lowe's may have them.  They ain't cheap though.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drhach said:

I could see not wanting to give up an old wrench, but the new one should be guaranteed for life too. What's the difference? It might be different if they were offering a Harbor Freight replacement tool.

The difference is degrees of turn between clicks. 

Few years ago My favorite Craftsman ratchet gave up the ghost and after seeing the prices of the rebuild kits bought a used one at Hershey for $10. Later on the suggestion of a friend I took into one of the still open Sears stores to see if they had kits and they said they would take care of it and about n hour later they handed me my rebuilt ratchet back so now I have an extra.

• Like 1

Last time I took a broken ratchet to Sears, they reached under their counter and pulled out a replacement to give me. But it was a used one, with scars and obvious signs of wear....plus someone else's initials in it. I was not happy. 

Another time I broke a Craftsman 17mm universal socket, which was part of a set of about 6 universal-joint metric socket. But Craftsman no longer made that size as an individual socket, and they had even discontinued the complete set. The clerk offered me an Asian-made 17mm socket, but didn't have even that brand in a universal socket style. 

• Like 1

I hate to say it but I let my son borrow my 30 year old craftsman 3/8 ratchet. It came back broken. I sourced an original rebuild kit from EBAY. It was a bit pricey but exactly what I needed. I worked for 30 years as a Journeyman mechanic with Craftsman tools and am very partial to them. Good luck.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I recall taking one to Sears once. Behind the counter the guy had a 5 gallon bucket full of broken ones; he just tossed it in and got me a replacement. More recently, I took my 3/8 ratchet to Lowes. (It never did work very well, even when new.) The replacement isn't quite as well finished (import vs USA) but it works, and there were no questions asked. Also note that I've seen Craftsman at NAPA stores, as well. 

Now, some years ago we had a Snap-On ratchet with a broken gear. I'd been waiting for months for that rascal of a salesman to stop by so I could trade it in. He finally showed up....and handed me a repair kit. 

5 hours ago, drhach said:

It might be different if they were offering a Harbor Freight replacement tool.

Have you held the new China sourced Craftsman brand in your hand? In some cases the Harbor Freight wrenches feel better!😁

• Like 4

Some cases? Nearly all. Craftsman is not what it was. It's a lot of gimmick tools. If you look around be a little choosy, you can *definitely* do better at Harbor Freight. You can usually do better with Home Depot and Lowe's house brands too (like Kobalt, etc.).

As for the old Craftsman, I wouldn't turn it in. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dship said:

Lowes now owns Craftsman.  Bring it to them and see if they still honor a replacement guarantee similar to what Sears use to have.  

Lowes SELLS Craftsman now. They do not own the brand. Sears sold the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black and Decker in 2017. This is why you can find Craftsman tools at Lowes, Ace, and other stores. Sears retained the right to sell Craftsman after the sale of the brand.

Some Craftsman retailers still exchange tools, but you get a new imported tool to replace your broken US made tool. Your call. You can still buy ratchet repair kits on ebay and Facebook Marketplace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stanley Black and Decker had plans to start making Craftsman wrenches in USA again. They actually built a new plant in Texas. It was announced a few weeks ago plans have changed and they will NOT begin production in Texas in addition to closing/ consolidating some other american factories. 

This is according to the "Den of Tools" Youtube channel. 

I have also purchased Craftsman ratchet rebuild kits form Ebay for my American made ratchets. 

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)

Anything with Craftsman was guaranteed, we would take aviator snips back when they got dull. They phased that out by saying 'edge' tools no longer qualified. The last one I did it, I got a pair back that was branded sears only. No longer had craftsman printed. 

A funny aside, had a brick mason on a job. He sold his helper a broken craftsman 100' steel tape for something like $5. thought he was pulling a fast one. They were about $25 new at the time. Helper returned it for a brand new one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

They ain't cheap though.

I would really enjoy learning the origin of that statement and all the variations.

I bet the first one was pointing his finger Bernie Sanders style when he said it.

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I would really enjoy learning the origin of that statement and all the variations.

I bet the first one was pointing his finger Bernie Sanders style when he said it.

Dunno...why don't you research it and let us know?

Getting back on topic, the repair kits cost almost as much as a new wrench.  The OP will have to decide whether repairing old vs new imported is worth the cost.  My Dad was a Craftsman true believer and I inherited a bunch of tools from him.  I doubt any are newer than 50 years old, and many probably closer to 60 or 70.  In my case, repair would make sense if I ever break one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my youth I bought some Wards 'Powercraft"  stuff.

In my mid life Wards still had a store and there replacement (lifetime) was some cheepo offshore thing that didn't last long and they refused me.

No wonder they folded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Getting back on topic, the repair kits cost almost as much as a new wrench.  The OP will have to decide whether repairing old vs new imported is worth the cost. 

Is there any doubt?

In 1946 I was given a 1/2" Craftsman ratchet by a shop owner who was closing up.  Clunky, It looked prewar.  In 1956 it broke and I took it to Sears and was cheerfully given a new replacement that is STILL being used, including sometimes with a cheater bar!  
As a young teenager in early post-WW!!, I split the cost of a four dollar 4" Craftsman vise with my dad.  It must not have been forged, but rather just cast as it cracked.  A friend brazed it back together but it broke again shortly, and ended up in a dusty corner in the basement.  Fast forward to 1980 or so.  I was going to Sears for something and thought what the heck, I'll see if they will do anything about the vise.
Well, the sales person said they were "out of 4" vises".  Hmmm....  I happened to notice a nice, pricey 4" swivel one with removeable pipe jaws still on display, I pointed it out to him and, reluctantly he let me exchange for it.  He wasn't very happy about having to honor the Sears Craftsman guarantee.   In leaving I made sure he knew he had just replaced a $4.00 vise.
All in all though, I found much of their wares a good buy.  I miss the old Sears stores, they were the go-to place for reasonably priced good quality auto related merchandize.  

• Like 6

On 4/7/2023 at 4:46 PM, joe_padavano said:

Is there any doubt?

Dunno, why don't you ask MGG?  Like you said, his call...

On 4/6/2023 at 10:43 PM, joe_padavano said:

Some Craftsman retailers still exchange tools, but you get a new imported tool to replace your broken US made tool. Your call.