Carolina Limiteds: Living the Dream - 1958 Buick Limited Conv.

38Buick 80C

Usually my post are "Carolina Roadmasters" but this one is special... it's Limited...

Since I went to the Buick National Meet in LA in 1985, I've identified my favorite Buick as a '58... specifically the Limiteds for that year, specifically the convertible. I've chased several over the years and really got serious about getting one in early 2020. I thought i had one bought in February of that year, I only had to go look at it to complete the transaction, then COVID... and the seller changed their mind. I thought i had another one bought the following year but that one wasn't to be either. Back around when I was 8-9 years old I met Gene Reynolds who has had numerous 58 Limiteds over the years and I had been consulting with him on the 2021 purchase that got away. Late in 2021 he contacted me, letting me know his Limited would be available and he was giving me first option on the car, which I accepted.

The day before I was to pick up the car in late January of 2022, he had slight oops which misplaced (and bent) the rear bumper which is like 12 pieces in total by the way.  So despite owning the car for over a year I had not let the forum know about it. I acquired some spare bumper parts, sent them off to Paul's Chrome at Hershey and waited. I received those parts back about 10 days ago and removed, disassembled and reassembled the rear bumper with the good parts last weekend. It rained the next day so I couldn't get it out for pictures until today. So finally now presenting my newest acquisition...

image000000.jpg.386a13230905b5bc2b8e40a85dbb4fae.jpg

image000001.jpg.cf8e5f0da6952affa52db80e7618af43.jpg

image000002.jpg.94b9bfcc261a0aa5fc768a006ea5e652.jpg

image000003.jpg.3a7ebe192704d6de7a19d6e989874f08.jpg

image000004.jpg.e5ea48e80b313e4ba50f0f2c5ece8597.jpg

image000007.jpg.4dab9bfa706b1e7e146b00c711c66a51.jpg

image000006.jpg.a7da57deb12863514c3684335fda310f.jpg

image000009.jpg.56a4c914f9267c61bb2d53afbb8cc523.jpg

image000008.jpg.a4fd001a8cc1f2f8c4a47341e956e510.jpg

I've been driving her quite a bit and she runs great. There is no fabric on the top frame and the frame was not going up and down when i bought it, but i have got it working a finally the grey pinpoint vinyl came in and is ordered. I also got some silver fabric color seat belts that i have yet to install. It came with all the components for the factory AC, but none are installed under hood, nor are the heater hoses connected yet. Aside from the top, seat belts and heater hose I don't really plan to do too much until after the 2025 BCA National in Charlotte. Then I will want to go through some on the non-authentic items that have been done, which knowing me means i will likely go through the whole car.

The history of the car is as follows. The original owner was in the NorthEast (It was assembled in the Farmingham MA plant) possibly New Hampshire and he owned it until he was 93. It was briefly owned by another gentlemen in NH and then Gene bought it. I have the second gentleman's name but have yet to determine the original owner, but aside from an unsuccessful title search in NH I haven't tried too hard yet. It's an original green mist metallic car with a dark green top and silver interior.

@MrEarl@Centurion@Smartin@FireballV8@lancemb@95Cardinal@Dave Gelinas (XP-300)@Ben Bruce aka First Born@JohnD1956@Matt Harwood@NTX5467@NC-car-guy@NCReatta@Fr. Buick@dship@old-tank@kgreen@Thriller@buick5563

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Usually my post are "Carolina Roadmasters" but this one is special... it's Limited...

Since I went to the Buick National Meet in LA in 1985, I've identified my favorite Buick as a '58... specifically the Limiteds for that year, specifically the convertible. I've chased several over the years and really got serious about getting one in early 2020. I thought i had one bought in February of that year, I only had to go look at it to complete the transaction, then COVID... and the seller changed their mind. I thought i had another one bought the following year but that one wasn't to be either. Back around when I was 8-9 years old I met Gene Reynolds who has had numerous 58 Limiteds over the years and I had been consulting with him on the 2021 purchase that got away. Late in 2021 he contacted me, letting me know his Limited would be available and he was giving me first option on the car, which I accepted.

The day before I was to pick up the car in late January of 2022, he had slight oops which misplaced (and bent) the rear bumper which is like 12 pieces in total by the way.  So despite owning the car for over a year I had not let the forum know about it. I acquired some spare bumper parts, sent them off to Paul's Chrome at Hershey and waited. I received those parts back about 10 days ago and removed, disassembled and reassembled the rear bumper with the good parts last weekend. It rained the next day so I couldn't get it out for pictures until today. So finally now presenting my newest acquisition...

image000000.jpg.386a13230905b5bc2b8e40a85dbb4fae.jpg

image000001.jpg.cf8e5f0da6952affa52db80e7618af43.jpg

image000002.jpg.94b9bfcc261a0aa5fc768a006ea5e652.jpg

image000003.jpg.3a7ebe192704d6de7a19d6e989874f08.jpg

image000004.jpg.e5ea48e80b313e4ba50f0f2c5ece8597.jpg

image000007.jpg.4dab9bfa706b1e7e146b00c711c66a51.jpg

image000006.jpg.a7da57deb12863514c3684335fda310f.jpg

image000009.jpg.56a4c914f9267c61bb2d53afbb8cc523.jpg

image000008.jpg.a4fd001a8cc1f2f8c4a47341e956e510.jpg

I've been driving her quite a bit and she runs great. There is no fabric on the top frame and the frame was not going up and down when i bought it, but i have got it working a finally the grey pinpoint vinyl came in and is ordered. I also got some silver fabric color seat belts that i have yet to install. It came with all the components for the factory AC, but none are installed under hood, nor are the heater hoses connected yet. Aside from the top, seat belts and heater hose I don't really plan to do too much until after the 2025 BCA National in Charlotte. Then I will want to go through some on the non-authentic items that have been done, which knowing me means i will likely go through the whole car.

The history of the car is as follows. The original owner was in the NorthEast (It was assembled in the Farmingham MA plant) possibly New Hampshire and he owned it until he was 93. It was briefly owned by another gentlemen in NH and then Gene bought it. I have the second gentleman's name but have yet to determine the original owner, but aside from an unsuccessful title search in NH I haven't tried too hard yet. It's an original green mist metallic car with a dark green top and silver interior.

@MrEarl@Centurion@Smartin@FireballV8@lancemb@95Cardinal@Dave Gelinas (XP-300)@Ben Bruce aka First Born@JohnD1956@Matt Harwood@NTX5467@NC-car-guy@NCReatta@Fr. Buick@dship@old-tank@kgreen@Thriller@buick5563

OMG.  Drool....🤤

• Like 2

At one point in time, Gene had a black '58 Century convertible . . . in the late 1980s.  I was the guest of BCA Lifetime Member Wayne Meadlin for that BCA National Meet in Flint.  Gene came to the Flint airport to pick us up and take us to our hotel . . . just before they closed the airport that night.  Wayne had found Gene in his search for '58 Limited parts, which Gene brought some of to Flint with him.

Glad you got what you've been dreaming of!

NTX5467

• Like 1

Congratulations, Brian! That is one sharp looking Buick.

Edit: I was working for Honeywell, Inc. when the GM Framingham Assembly Plant reduced auto productions throughout the late seventies.  We hired a number of the GM workers for our computer production facilities in Brighton, Lowell, and Lawrence, MA.

Edited by dship (see edit history)
  • Like 2

You've jumped quite a distance from 38s to 58s. And found a buickful buy!  🤩 Congrats.  Just wondeing if it fits in your garage?  I was just remembering Dei gutted a whole house to get his in @MEI. Welcome to the 50s. 😃

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

You've jumped quite a distance from 38s to 58s. And found a buickful buy!  🤩 Congrats.  Just wondeing if it fits in your garage?  I was just remembering Dei gutted a whole house to get his in @MEI. Welcome to the 50s. 😃

fits with feet to spare...

• Like 2

Brian, thank you for sharing your great dream machine with us!  I love these cars, and can only imagine the thrill of owning one.  I look forward to the day when I might be able to see your new treasure first-hand.

Is the car equipped with a Flight Pitch, or is it converted to a Variable Pitch Dynaflow?  

During the fall of 1975, the Portland Oregonian newspaper advertised two 1958 Limiteds for sale in Salem, where I was a college student.  I had no cash to spare, but I could not resist looking at the cars.  I had opportunity to drive the 4-door hardtop, and we traveled to the storage unit where the seller kept a Silver Mist Limited convertible.  The convertible was a beautiful original, but in need of some transmission repairs.  The $3,000 asking price might as well have been $3-million given my financial position at the time, but you can bet that I have spent many years wishing that I had somehow scraped together the cash to bring that Limited convertible home.  . . . . The big bonus of that day was that the seller let me review his Buick Bugle magazines, providing me the impetus to join the BCA -- a decision I've always been most thankful for.

We look forward to reading about your Limited projects and, especially, all the opportunities you'll have to enjoy it during the years ahead!

• Like 3

'38 Roadmaster 80C, '38 Roadmaster 87, '58 Roadmaster 756....   GO BIG or GO HOME, tha's Brian. Congratulations Brian on finally finding and procuring your "favorite Buick"  I think it will look real good on you. I never realized the '58 Limiteds and especially the convertibles are so rare. Found this on line...

For 1958, these were called “Limited” Series 700, and a convertible coupe (model 756) was added. At $5,125, it was the most expensive Buick and, with only 839 built, the rarest stateside offering. It is believed that far fewer examples have survived; numbers as few as 20 cars have been suggested by respected sources. 

Few American cars of the era were more chrome-covered than the 1958 Buick Limited. True to the Limited heritage, the 1958 Limited was the top of the line, carrying the same dynamic “Fashion Air Dynastar” styling as other Flint products of the year, including a remarkable grille composed of 160 faceted chrome squares. This exceptional presentation of brightwork detail is seen along the cars exterior flanks, as well around the rear fascia and throughout the luxurious interior.

The platform is on a longer 127.5-inch-wheelbase chassis, for a total span from nose-to-nose of over 227 inches of decked out automobile. Distinctive to the three Limited body styles were the “hash marks” along the rear fenders. The Limited was also the only 1958 Buick model that featured the distinctively beautiful, bright lower rear quarter panels that blend impeccably into the massive rear bumper. Jewel-like chrome bands surround each wheel opening and the taillight towers are dramatic in presentation and also unique.

Again, congrats buddy, can't wait to go for a ride!!! 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

It is believed that far fewer examples have survived; numbers as few as 20 cars have been suggested by respected sources. 

Yeah , no I don't believe that for a second. In near 40 years of being enthralled with these cars and now having chased some I believe it is at least twice that number that have survived, but many have gone to Scandanavia. Heck I'm pretty sure I could rattle off 10 I know of without trying very hard, Gene Reynold has claimed to owned over 25 just himself over the the years.

but 839 original production is pretty low as is the number of coupes produced which if memory serves me is just over 1000.

• Like 5

There is probably close to a 100 of them in Sweden, probably more there than anywhere else in the world. I have been collecting pictures of 58 Limited convertibles and have close to 40 different ones. I often wonder what happened to the ones that were around the BCA in the 80's & 90's, I am sure they survived, but where are they? 

These numbers are also quoted often for the 53 & 54 Skylarks, but there are always a few for sale at any given time. 

I bet there are a lot less 54 or 55 Century Convertibles left compared to the Skylarks. 

Anyhow, Buicks are the best cars to collect and restore. 

Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 4:45 PM, 38Buick 80C said:

Since I went to the Buick National Meet in LA in 1985, I've identified my favorite Buick as a '58... specifically the Limiteds for that year, specifically the convertible.

I’m late to your Limited thread but the above quote reminds me of the guy in the Central Valley of California who had an entire field of 1958 Limiteds. They could be seen from US 99 somewhere in the  Fresno Merced Turlock Modesto stretch. I haven’t been on that 99 stretch in some time so I don’t know whether the Limited fold still exists. But it was one of those fun things to see by a Buick nut like me. 

• Like 3