Car Clubs...On a different note, what is YOUR idea?

Steve Moskowitz

Help me get wealthy as I’m already retired so I can go on these tours. If AACA can do that I’m sure the membership would grow very quickly. 
dave s 

ps- already tried working my... off for 50 + years. Didn’t work well enough to afford the tours. Just an old 38 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I belong to a woodworking guild, the origination was from a bunch of guys that liked making reproduction 18th century furniture. There is an annual meeting that coincides with a furniture conference, and a mid year convention. There are many local chapters, the 2 that I would frequent had meetings about 3 or 4 times a year. Usually at a woodcraft store with the members putting on the program demonstrating different levels of craftsmanship and skil sets. Once in awhile we would meet a members shop and again have some sort of demonstration. Usually food is dunken donuts and coffee, and panera bread for lunch. They would last for a few hours and everyone seemed to have a good time. I would like to see a group of car guys doing the same. Meet at a guys shop, look over his project, maybe learn a techinique or two etc. Have a light lunch and enjoy the drive home. I dont have a lot to offer but my shop is open and I can fire up the grill!

• Like 1

Freebies for kids at car shows. When I had a bunch of old car magazines to get rid of, I'd take them to car shows and give out a handful to any boy who was interested. One time I picked up a box of toy cars at a yard sale for $10, kept a couple of the nicer old Matchboxes, and the rest I also took to a car show and let children dig in and pick one out. That was a big hit. 

• Like 7

On 11/16/2022 at 10:49 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

I would like to see my club have more joint activities with other car clubs"

We did that on the National Vintage tour in Kingston  Ont. 2019 . We went to the ACCCC Upper Canada Region club house in Odesa for a morning coffee stop and worked out great. The Canadian club also donated 3 large food trays for our hospitality room. 

That tour won a national award so I would say that club visit was a plus. 

There was a second tour we were discussing for the Ottawa area touring Quebec and Ontario and visiting another Canadian club but it was all shelved. 

Yes a good point Steve visiting other clubs.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Once in awhile we would meet a members shop and again have some sort of demonstration. Usually food is dunken donuts and coffee,

This is exactly what the Northern Virginia Corvair Club does. Meetings are at a member's garage and work is done on their car or another member's car. Fun times. Not so much Robert's Rules of Order, but business is dealt with as necessary.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

This is exactly what the Northern Virginia Corvair Club does. Meetings are at a member's garage and work is done on their car or another member's car. Fun times. Not so much Robert's Rules of Order, but business is dealt with as necessary.

If you could get 3 or 4 projects on a rotation, get a few guys on a saturday hitting it hard and a bbq lunch when youre done working. It would speed up the work load exponentially. People could get to learn something about a different car than their own, and maybe a new skil. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Steve,

foremost, I am proud to say and be member of AACA.

weekend or three-day tours. To better address working and families. The off set is that traveling distances for a short tour will impact numbers. 5 day tours are nice.

perhaps have a general group of experts who can be contacted to obtain guidance on restoration - like BCA. This likely will be challenging.

AACA seems to be more ‘show’ and less tour. This likely is unfair as one is more visible. There needs to be - imo - a very strong(er) emphasis on touring/driving. 

all organizations -ALL - have a pre-disposed nod to the very few members who have the assets to contribute most. There needs to be ‘faster turn-over’ or term-limits on senior positions. There needs to be a portion of the board that are clearly ‘rank and file’ -again, the organization does a good job. The perception is what needs to be addressed ( current president is a great example of what club needs more of.)  

the recent car event where all were invited ( was unable due to previous commitment attend) - need to have more.

there are many cars I will never own - or drive. An event where - for a fee- one could drive some - would be great. Not talking driving an F1 at track speeds but being able to drive one - a brass car, model T, CCCA, sports car, etc. 

have a return to driving fun- I.e. balancing egg on spoon - like was formerly done in very early AACA days. Etc. 

shutting up. Getting back into truck.

Just my thoughts

Being a past president of our club about 75 members 

We hold one car show a year have about 450/500 cars all years all brands

We give away 5 new memberships away each year they have to fill out a card to begin that drawing the winners get the 1st years due  free and have a current member as a mentor 

We do A HotDog run once a month ( never had a hot dog though) 

Call new members and invite them to go along

We do road rallies  progressive dinners  picnic in the park   all parades honoring our vets getting as much good press as possible

We have worked at keeping our car club growth moving up in numbers 

We just celebrated our 50th year

The age range is 30 to 80 + 

We dislike the idea of well we always did it that way sometimes  the president needs  to be a strong parent with the children LOL

• Like 2

Another thought after reading the ads in the current Ant. Aut. regarding upcoming tours. 1. I agree that they seem to be expensive, but I do understand the need to cover the expense. 2. Being an owner of a 70's car several of the tours exclude me! I know that a brass car cant keep up with 'modern' cars and I can see that one, however a cutoff for cars through say 1950's is not fair imo. If there was a tour for cars 1930-1990 perhaps they could be grouped in like time periods, and all could still meet up at the same places. Hate to sound like a broken record beating a dead horse but I think there are still too many people associated with AACA that discount cars made after 1950, let alone 1970!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Another thought after reading the ads in the current Ant. Aut. regarding upcoming tours. 1. I agree that they seem to be expensive, but I do understand the need to cover the expense. 2. Being an owner of a 70's car several of the tours exclude me! I know that a brass car cant keep up with 'modern' cars and I can see that one, however a cutoff for cars through say 1950's is not fair imo. If there was a tour for cars 1930-1990 perhaps they could be grouped in like time periods, and all could still meet up at the same places. Hate to sound like a broken record beating a dead horse but I think there are still too many people associated with AACA that discount cars made after 1950, let alone 1970!

All Divisional Tours allow cars up to 25 years or older.  Other national tours are by eras.  You would be surprised at the number of newer cars on Divisional Tours as many now prefer the conveniences of air conditioning, storage, etc.  Check out our national tour this summer in PA sponsored by our Library as soon as it is published.  It should be an affordable tour as far as national tours go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While I’ve already made my views of not being much into large social events, gatherings, group tours or other club activities fairly clear and prefer driving to showing, etc., I think any and all clubs, beit brand specific or generic, could benefit this hobby better (in the eyes of general public) by encouraging and focusing more on former than latter.

What could be better ambassadorship for the hobby of antique/classic/vintage cars than seeing them being driven/used, especially more often and randomly, without coming or going to a car show.

Most of the events, online forums/groups, shows, etc clubs commonly organize or support tend to create and harbor an air of elitism/exclusiveness, probably leaving general public feeling unwelcome outsider’s.

As someone who’s driven hundreds of thousands of miles with vintage cars in past 4+ decades, I’ve noticed ever growing amazement and appreciation from the members of “general public” whenever I encounter any during my drives and travels in vintage cars, my clients or my own.

Whenever I’m out with one and even suspect some bystander having any questions, I promptly try to engage with them in the most approachable manner I can and have learned that most or perhaps all seem to appreciate that.

Just yesterday, while out on a Sunday drive with my PB Roadster, which happens to adorn a small FCA decal, a twenty something young man, after staring at the car while I was filling her up at a gas station, asked “Is that really some old Ferrari  ?” (and yes, he appeared earnest with that question), to which I just replied “Oh man, I wish, but I do love driving this as much or more !“ and he appeared to appreciate that answer by saying “Very cool that you actually drive it”.

If I was in charge of any car club, I would try to encourage and organize more local/regional chapter single day or weekend (scenic) driving events and if awards/trophies were deemed necessary, I would simply offer the most significant ones to cars (not members) with most mileage accrued annually, as I think that is the best way to encourage/endorse this hobby to general public and future generations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that driving old cars is the most important part of the hoby and done in a casual environment generally fun.   However you simply can't drive concour cars much and keep them in top condition unless you are fortunate enough to have a staff to clean them.  I try to drive all my cars, the trailer queens get out on the best days for short trips but I enjoy the drivers the most, no worries just go.  The congestion in my area makes driving any old car a challenge.  Like everyone I get a lot of favorable comments from average drivers who are interested in the cars. 

• Like 1

Hoping I can cut and paste some of these ideas and present them at our next region meeting.

Seems like when we have a region event( with the exception of senior living/ assisted living exhibitions) it never includes a stop to show the cars to the public.

Most of the members of my region don't even access the AACA website or forums.  So sad.

When people want something done but won't step up and help . I have been doing just that for the last 45 years {AACA} when clubs will let me . At one time I was in a region that would not let outsider do anything {was a member for 25 years . left that region  .Kings32

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TTR said:

While I’ve already made my views of not being much into large social events, gatherings, group tours or other club activities fairly clear and prefer driving to showing, etc., I think any and all clubs, beit brand specific or generic, could benefit this hobby better (in the eyes of general public) by encouraging and focusing more on former than latter.

What could be better ambassadorship for the hobby of antique/classic/vintage cars than seeing them being driven/used, especially more often and randomly, without coming or going to a car show.

Most of the events, online forums/groups, shows, etc clubs commonly organize or support tend to create and harbor an air of elitism/exclusiveness, probably leaving general public feeling unwelcome outsider’s.

As someone who’s driven hundreds of thousands of miles with vintage cars in past 4+ decades, I’ve noticed ever growing amazement and appreciation from the members of “general public” whenever I encounter any during my drives and travels in vintage cars, my clients or my own.

Whenever I’m out with one and even suspect some bystander having any questions, I promptly try to engage with them in the most approachable manner I can and have learned that most or perhaps all seem to appreciate that.

Just yesterday, while out on a Sunday drive with my PB Roadster, which happens to adorn a small FCA decal, a twenty something young man, after staring at the car while I was filling her up at a gas station, asked “Is that really some old Ferrari  ?” (and yes, he appeared earnest with that question), to which I just replied “Oh man, I wish, but I do love driving this as much or more !“ and he appeared to appreciate that answer by saying “Very cool that you actually drive it”.

If I was in charge of any car club, I would try to encourage and organize more local/regional chapter single day or weekend (scenic) driving events and if awards/trophies were deemed necessary, I would simply offer the most significant ones to cars (not members) with most mileage accrued annually, as I think that is the best way to encourage/endorse this hobby to general public and future generations.

Another thing I would make sure if I was in charge of a car club is that any and all event volunteer members wouldn’t have to spend their own money to be there.

Much of the annual budget allocations from membership and event fees, donations, etc should go to make sure all volunteers get complimentary meals and overnight accommodations, etc. 

And again, if other awards were deemed necessary and there’s money left after the aforementioned volunteer accommodations, etc., they should be offered to best “club ambassadors” driving/using their car out in public and instead of plaques or trophies, awards could/should be gift cards/certificates from auto parts suppliers, gas stations, etc.

Those into collecting plaques, trinkets and trophies for attending to just showing their car(s) should just buy their own.

On 11/19/2022 at 1:45 PM, tcslr said:

AACA seems to be more ‘show’ and less tour. This likely is unfair as one is more visible. There needs to be - imo - a very strong(er) emphasis on touring/driving. 

I agree.  I joined the local AACA chapter several years ago.  I soon realized the locals were mostly interested in doing judged car shows and stopped attending.

• Like 2

I am a member of the AACA, HCCA, and the HH Franklin Club. I am a member of my local AACA region, but it is struggling and has almost folded recently. Here is my take: I like touring and have no interest in car shows. Sitting in a field of static cars while guys in hats pick them apart to see who gets the plastic trophy seems to be a waste of a sunny day, and that is all that my local clubs seem to want to do. I usually attend a few local shows, and I always leave frustrated and bored.

I have not been on an AACA tour for over a decade. Almost all of them seem to be scheduled when I have to work. I am a teacher and I get 12 weeks of vacation, but the dates are carved in stone by the board of education. When I have complained about tours being scheduled during the week. during the school year, I've been told that I need to consider my priorities when choosing my vacation time. When a tour is scheduled Monday to Friday, as many are, not only are you excluding teachers like me, but also families with children. If a tour were say, Thursday through Sunday, I could take a personal day or two, but not an entire week. The answer I get is that summer is too hot and weekends have too much traffic. 

I joined the HCCA a few years ago, as they call themselves "The Premier Touring Club." I even went out and bought a brass touring car. I find that most of their tours are also out of my reach. Maybe someday. I inquired about joining the local HCCA chapter, nad found out the next meeting was a lunch on a Thursday.

I am most active with the Franklin Club. I own five Franklins. Their annual, week-long meet is in July/August, and I never miss it. They also have a rule against judging, which I appreciate.  I have served on the board twice, and I have been the Franklin Trek (national meet) chairman for three years.

I look forward to retirement, when I can enjoy my antique cars with the rest of you.

Edited by Steve Braverman (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Steve Braverman said:

I have served on the board twice, and I have been the Franklin Trek (national meet) chairman for three years.

So, how would you feel about having a '38 Buick tag along on some of your CNY Trek tours?  I'd be happy to be the 'caboose', or bribe tour participants with food...  ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

So, how would you feel about having a '38 Buick tag along on some of your CNY Trek tours?  I'd be happy to be the 'caboose', or bribe tour participants with food...  ;)

If you get a negative answer to this, then it is a club you don't want to be in anyway.

There is a Model A bunch around here that gets together fairly often in the summers. 

They often ask if I would like to join them, I don't own a Model A but the Pierce Arrow fits right in.

There is only one other PA in the town that I live in, and I don't know the guy or see his car much.

I wouldn't mind making the trip up to Portland or Vancouver WA for that matter. But the AACA doesn't seem to be very active out here as there is one contact for all of Oregon and Washington.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steve Braverman said:

I like touring and have no interest in car shows. Sitting in a field of static cars while guys in hats pick them apart to see who gets the plastic trophy seems to be a waste of a sunny day

Steve,

I am retired and couldn't agree more about car shows.  My local HCCA club meets on Wednesday evenings about 30 miles away.  Attending requires driving through city traffic at night for what amounts to a boring meeting followed by sweets and coffee at about 9PM and another 30 mile drive to get home.  That is not for me either.  I belong to two HCCA regional groups to get enough summer tours to keep my cars exercised.  Both groups are suffering from age related attrition.  The local group refuses to change to make the club more friendly to working families.  So, I expect they will continue to circle the drain.  The other group meets on weekends and the brief meetings are followed by short day tours when weather permits.  I expect they will survive by doing so...

• Like 3

21 hours ago, EmTee said:

If you are interested in Franklins, you are welcome to attend. If you show up in a '38 Buick, you won't be kicked out. We often get visitors in water-cooled cars. The HH Franklin Club is open to all air-cooled cars built before WWII, but we've had a few Corvairs and VWs show up in the past. I'm sure some people would make remarks, but that's people. If you want to follow us on public roads, nobody can stop you. If you want to register for the Trek and be a participant, you have to be a club member or a guest of a member. I will warn you, we will try to convince you to buy a Franklin, and as they said on Star Trek, "Resistance is futile."

By the way, the 1937-38 Buicks are some of my favorites and I have one on my bucket list.

I hope this is a positive enough answer for Jack M. We pride ourselves on being a friendly and welcoming group. The HHFC is one of the most supportive car clubs I know of, and Franklins are one of the most affordable cars in their class.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Braverman said:

I will warn you, we will try to convince you to buy a Franklin, and as they said on Star Trek, "Resistance is futile."

As dangerous as it might be to my wallet, I'd love to have a ride in a Franklin!  ;)

My father has told me that his father always wanted to own one...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, EmTee said:

As dangerous as it might be to my wallet, I'd love to have a ride in a Franklin!  ;)

My father has told me that his father always wanted to own one...

Unfortunately, if you come to a Franklin Trek, you may be forced to actually drive a Franklin, as well as ride in one. Like I said, resistance is futile. I look forward to meeting you this summer. I am currently working on a recently acquired 1930 seven-passenger sedan, and I will have it at the Trek next year.

• Haha 1

1. Potluck meals at meetings will often encourage wives who don't generally attend. 

2. Auto-renewal of membership dues (optional).  I try hard not to be but often I am a procrastinator for no reason at all.  I know I am going to send my dues but often will delay doing so. 

3. Some clubs that I am a member give non-members virtually the same benefit as dues paying members. There should be a difference.  For example, to register for our annual swap meet or show, non-members pay a modest $5 more.  Meanwhile members are paying $25 (minimum membership level) to sustain the operation of the club.  Meanwhile this same club will refuse to send newsletters by email because they might be shared!!!!!  Let's share the newsletters to promote the club but encourage non-members to join by increasing the price difference to participate in our events. 

• Like 4

What Steve says about the Franklin Club annual "trek" is true, like him I was also on the club board and also ran the trek but 40+ years ago before he was born (!) and when I ran the trek as co chairman it was in the first few years it was located in Cazenovia, NY so was still in the planning stage so far as what worked and what didn't. Just a word to all - the event is held at a college and you stay in the dorms if you choose to be right there, food is done cafeteria style, and bring a folding chair as a lot of time will be spent sitting under a tree visiting ( or dozing off - snore ) . there are motels in the town if you desire your own room and bath and not have to share. No a/c at the college.  Not horribly costly like some week long events but not cheap either. People are friendly and it is a wonderful town to go for a walk in , used to be some great restaurants as well. Talks are given but mostly technical .

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Walt G said:

What Steve says about the Franklin Club annual "trek" is true, like him I was also on the club board and also ran the trek but 40+ years ago before he was born (!) and when I ran the trek as co chairman it was in the first few years it was located in Cazenovia, NY so was still in the planning stage so far as what worked and what didn't. Just a word to all - the event is held at a college and you stay in the dorms if you choose to be right there, food is done cafeteria style, and bring a folding chair as a lot of time will be spent sitting under a tree visiting ( or dozing off - snore ) . there are motels in the town if you desire your own room and bath and not have to share. No a/c at the college.  Not horribly costly like some week long events but not cheap either. People are friendly and it is a wonderful town to go for a walk in , used to be some great restaurants as well. Talks are given but mostly technical .

Walt, you should come back to the Trek. The food in the dining hall is quite a bit better than in the past. Most of the dorms are air conditioned. There are suites available to families with private baths and kitchenettes. We spend a lot more time touring and less time sleeping under the tree. Also, the Trek has been at Caz for 52 years, however we may need to relocate for next year as the college is facing some financial problems. We will know soon, and I am looking at other venues (slim pickings). We have also had well-attended psychology lectures given by one of our long-time members. It's a unique event for sure.

Why would I want to join a car club? Right now I can spend $10-20 for an entry fee to a car show if I have the weekend off from work, walk around at my own pace, even leave the show and come back as these shows are usually in conjunction with a town's summer celebration. Wide diversity of cars on display and very few people, if any will come up and tell me I have the wrong year wheel covers on my car, or the shade of paint is incorrect, etc.... Awards are participant choice and not based on "how correct" my car is, which I don't have the time or money, especially the money, to make it "correct", but more on curb appeal or uniqueness of the car. 

If I join a local club and they put on a show I have a huge time commitment along with being too busy to enjoy the show. And as I found out with one club that they had a membership requirement that you must work the show, be dammed if you have to work at your real job that day despite helping out the previous 3 months getting the show ready. Join a marque specific club and go to a national show and get my car nit-picked apart for what is wrong with it? No thanks! 

As a disclaimer, I do belong to the AACA and participate in activities the local chapter does (tours, parades, shows with only our club's cars) along with a national marque specific club, but that "local" chapter is over 2 hours away so I never attend their meetings. Attended an AACA National Meet a number of years ago, I don't ever plan on doing that again.

The suggestion I can make is what I have seen in churches/religious organizations. Slowly change from being very formal and structured to more of an informal environment to draw in more people or keep existing members.

Edited by ia-k (see edit history)

I've been involved with various civic organizations, churches, etc., usually ending up in leadership in some form or another. Building membership is always at the forefront. 

1. Most folks in their 20s/30s have better things to do than attend a meeting where they sit around with a bunch of 70 year old folks chewing the fat. That was true 20 years ago, 30 years ago. Don't blame today's younger generation. A week ago Thursday, I was one of the youngsters. I'm not quickly becoming one of the old timers. 
  2. If you do manage to get someone to come out, you have one chance to grab them. First impressions. If you don't catch them on that first visit, you've probably lost them forever.
  3. You catch new members by giving them something they aren't getting elsewhere. (And remember, it has to be something they WANT.)
  4. At any event, have at least one greeter, someone outgoing/friendly, to go around and say hello to every new face. The greeter can ask questions, find out what kind of bait that prospect is after, then they know how to bait the hook...and they can go about setting it.
  5. Like a business, if nobody is looking for what you have to sell, you're destined to fail. If there is a customer base hungry for a product, and you aren't filling it, someone else will eventually swoop in and fill the need. 

Two thoughts:

1) I joined the Horseless Carriage Club last year because they offered 1/2 price membership to new members.  I don't have a brass era car, but I figured it would be an inexpensive way to see a different part of the hobby. So I joined, went to some local club chapter events, and really enjoyed it and the people.  I decided to renew this year at the full price, and have become a semi-regular attendee at the local chapter monthly meetings.   So that 1/2 price membership trick worked, at least on me! :)

2)  Here in northern california, the AACA seems pretty quiet. I wonder if there's a way to get it active.  Lots of antique cars around here, but not a lot of local club activity.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

AACA has been in the forefront of half year memberships, free memberships to retired military and even a substantial amount of free one-year memberships to potential long term members.  AACA struggles in California mostly because of the geography (distances to attend events) and the lack of "spark plugs" out there who would be willing to start a region. Hopefully we will be able to change the trajectory out West in the coming years, we will be trying.

• Like 1

Maybe a state by state map showing where each local club is and where most of the members of that club live. I know you have a club listing by state but I live about equal distances from 3 or 4 possible clubs to join. I would prefer to join the one that has people living nearer to me so it makes it easier to possibly interact with them on a more frequent basis. If this would be too difficult maybe send members names to the local clubs so they might contact them to join. I’ve been an AACA member since 2016 and have lived in two states but have never been contacted by a local AACA club. 
The map maybe difficult but the notification would be done fairly easily via the membership update system with little added effort or expense. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

Maybe a state by state map showing where each local club is and where most of the members of that club live.

An interactive map of all the AACA Regions and Chapters is online at the AACA Home Page.

List of Regions & Chapters | Antique Automobile Club of America (aaca.org)

Also, if you are an AACA member, you can log in to the Member Area on the AACA Home Page and reach the membership roster which is searchable by State or City.  It does not list the region or chapter the member belongs to.

Edited by 61polara
Additional information (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 9:00 PM, Mark Shaw said:

Steve,

Both groups are suffering from age related attrition.  The local group refuses to change to make the club more friendly to working families.  So, I expect they will continue to circle the drain.  The other group meets on weekends and the brief meetings are followed by short day tours when weather permits.  I expect they will survive by doing so...

That seems true, and like older collectors passing away in droves, we may never know when these groups quietly pass away too. 

Clubs are like politics in that there are several levels or layers to them, all the way down to the local clubs.  Local governments get stagnant because newer folks don't join or attend meetings.  Same can happen with the older clubs. 

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

the lack of "spark plugs" out there who would be willing to start a region.

It is good that people want to participate but things do not get done unless everyone in some small ( or big ) way participate. Sure you don't have a lot of time - maybe volunteer to be the one to go out to have a flyer copied, buy the stamps to mail it, sure it takes a few minutes but that is one less thing the person who created it or planned the tour has to do. Seems a lot of people want activities, near by, convenient to their time allowance, not cost to much, etc. Everyone can't have it all their way.

Club publications are the one thing that every club member gets even if their car isn't on the road, useable or even if you don't own one! It keeps you connected. Editors are supposed to EDIT not write the whole publication. If you think you aren't a "writer" just do what you can and the editor will then make it read properly, correct spelling etc. We all need to participate in some way to make it all come together. I have been on both sides of publications - still am, Have been and Editor as well as a contributor/author. Not easy in either case. You are dealing with personalities just as you do everyday . But "don't worry, be happy" try what you can,. you can always become more enthused or less enthused . 

One of the best local clubs i have ever belonged to and been a member of is the Long Island Buick Club , it works because a lot of people there help out - even if just slightly maybe even once a year. Yes, you have to join and pay dues it will not be a free ride.

The "spark plugs" Steve mentioned are needed for new regions and for existing ones. Participation to me is not sitting in a arm chair and criticizing those who are making an effort . Have your "say" after you have made an effort .

• Like 5

Thank you 61polara I had no idea that existed or where to find it. Can’t remember ever getting anything from AACA regarding that but could be wrong. Information like that would be helpful in an easy to follow email to the new member. Contacting a new member like that would most likely give the person a good reason to check it out. It shouldn’t be too costly or hard to make it an automatic email based on the new or COA (change of address) transaction. 
dave s 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

AACA struggles in California mostly because of the geography (distances to attend events) and the lack of "spark plugs" out there who would be willing to start a region. Hopefully we will be able to change the trajectory out West in the coming years, we will be trying.

Steve,

California is not the only place out west where the AACA struggles to maintain and/or grow membership.  AACA membership density anywhere west of the Rocky Mountains is very low.  Yes, distance to events is a challenge, but most western car collectors are used to trailering a car to events.  The AACA's problem is that it seems so focused on eastern activities. 

If the AACA really wants to "change the trajectory out west", the AACA board needs to make some events happen on the west coast.   One or two driving tours in California, Washington and Oregon would certainly help current AACA groups boost membership, especially if other touring groups like the HCCA were invited to participate and help with tour planning.  

• Like 3

Isn’t Steve saying he agrees Mark, but it is up to the local clubs to host these events. If you feel that way talk to your club about hosting one and maybe it will happen. If you have the same problem as I have of not being sure which chapter to join check out the post 61polara posted above maybe that will help. I’m still lost on which but maybe will be able to solve the problem. 
dave s 

• Like 1