Is a 1913 chassis a good find and where can I sell it

Deewestcoast

Model A what ?  If it is Ford they were made from 1928 - 1931. Most 1913 cars will be at least some demand, many in quite a bit of demand and possibly even in the high value catagory. Ford Model A's are always in demand but relatively low value. Touring is one of the pricer ones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mickthecat said:

Wood wheels rule out Model A Ford, and pretty much any pre-1916 car is worth saving if there's enough left to save. But, in all likelihood the point is moot; I don't think we'll ever hear back from the OP.  

Now hold on a minute- it could be a 1903 Model A Fird and he made a typo??? Where are the pics?? Or, like Bob said, will it be another one of those threads???

• Haha 1

Dee, you're a newcomer here, and welcome.

Be sure to answer the questions if we are to

help you effectively.  Some newcomers pose a

question, then wait a week or more to reply or

never come back, missing all the help.

You need to answer more questions, already posed,

such as where it is, and what make.  Provide the pictures

requested.  Maybe you don't know the make, but tell us so.

Don't be terse.  Words are free!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is playing out like some sort of stupid guessing game. If the OP can't provide some pictures, or even anything other than cryptic clues, I don't think it's a serious question and not worth our time to bother to answer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

My guess is the OP has not bought it and was scratching around to find out if it's a good "investment" or not.  Commonly happens around here - often enough to make many followers reluctant to try and offer advice or help unfortunately.  

Terry 

• Like 1

Took a minute.. was Gunna ask what I had here but Google stumbled me on here with a bunch of snooty women hen pecking like some Avon party or some shit.but of your not from Africa or riding the cotton pony or negative Nancy .. I'd appreciate some feed back . Ty

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Deewestcoast said:

Never been to Nigeria is that where u guys are from? 

LOL...Give some of the negative guys here a well deserved b--chslap, this website has it's issues for sure. Very unfriendly at times IMO, and these snotty childish idiots don't realize their precious prewar/early car hobby is aging out FAST, and they don't seem to care if they drive new people away. 

I do not know what your chassis is, but some guys on this site are good at identifying makes/years by certain details.  I sure think it's more like mid 1920s back to maybe late teens?  IDK, but does not look 1913 details.

Give the good members some time to spot your pics before you stop coming here. 

• Like 5

Better...at least it is a real chassis.

Where does the 1913 date come from? I don't see any sign of front wheel brakes so it could be as late as the mid-20s. It clearly isn't a Ford. It's hard to get an idea of the scale but it's certainly a mid-size to big car. That said, with no engine or transmission it might be useful so someone who wants to build a speedster but there isn't enough of it left to be a parts car ... if we knew what it was.

Just based on statistical probability it is very unlikely to be anything exotic...

and keep something in mind here. The members of this forum may well be the most knowledgeable group in the country on American cars...but that knowledge has been frequently abused. All you have to do to get a polite answer is to give us enough data to work with and continue to be part of the conversation.

• Like 2

In all fairness to the forum members, we do tend to be a little jaded due to the relatively high number of "one hit wonders", posters who make one post asking for help but then never responding to our requests for further details.

The time span from your initial post to your second post was long enough to get the sarcasm flowing.

Stick around and work with us and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Forgive us. However, many (most?) of us here have been down this road LITERALLY hundreds of times!!!!!! I had probably been down this road more than a hundred times before there was an internet! Real time, face to face with real people.

Did I just win the lottery? Is my car I just bought really the last Stutz Bearcat existing in the world???  Did my model T really belong to Henry Ford himself???? I bet if I thought about it I could come up with a couple dozen silly questions I have ACTUALLY AND FOR REAL heard!

"No, you just paid $600 for something I refused to buy for $75 just two weeks ago. ACTUALLY HAPPENED!"

"No, you bought a model T speedster. And there are about fifty real Stutz Bearcats in the world!" Has actually happened to me personally at least five different times!

"Henry Ford actually owned every model T ever made because he owned the factory that made them! He never personally saw or drove YOUR car." Also actually seen myself about five times!

Facts get forgotten. Wild speculation gets enhanced and becomes rumors believed to be facts. All of a sudden, every part of a used to be a car becomes the holy grail.

What you show in these photos is interesting, and may be of some value. I can't tell from this what it was. However I could name a hundred things it is not.

It could be late 1910s, or early 1920s. That judging by the frame design and two-wheel brakes. I don't "think" it is as early as 1913? But it could maybe be?

Frames alone are not needed very often. Once in a while a frame may be damaged or rusted away enough that a better one is needed? Finding that one person that needs the one frame you have is like the impossible dream! The rear end, brakes and suspension would be good things for someone with the right car to have as spare parts. Unfortunately, most hobbyists these days don't believe in keeping spare parts (although I still do!).

If someone had the right engine and transmission for it? This could be the beginning of a great speedster! Even for that, not a lot of dollar value unless it is one of the fifty or so "right" cars.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I am thinking more in the Hudson direction. Buick would have a cantilever rear spring.  It's sort of hard to tell, but it looks like the rear springs are mounted as to be wider at the rear than the front. Hudson seems to do this consistently .  On most makes the springs are very close to parallel. Quite late teens - 1924 or so when most makes were fitting front brakes would be my guess on year.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, JayG said:

Looks early to mid 20's Dodge Brothers to me.

I don't think it is Dodge. I do not see an array of large holes on the rear frame member or the crank support on the front cross member.

Hi, Ty!  I'm sure others have noticed, but I didn't see anyone mention it...  The frame appears to be upside down on the trailer.  I don't know if you have the equipment to flip it over, but that may help identify it.  Where is the frame?  Maybe someone on this forum might be close by and can come over to take a look...  GLWTS!  Greg

Woulod the outrigger /cross member up towards front (along with some trailing sheet metal) suggest it may have had a truck cab? That might also explain why rear 2/3rds of frame have no details. 8 ply springs would be about normal for a large car or small truck. Large brake drums with outside shoes should also narrow vintage. Appears to have had 12 large and long spokes. Finally, a closeup of the hub/grease cap may help.

I adjusted the picture some...

Chassis.jpg.89a4cc0bb6440ce4688cfcb7cdcf83bb.jpg

I looks to me as if it has both expanding and contracting brakes on the drums. There are no front brakes at all. It also looks like (and it's hard to tell from this angle) as if there is a sub-frame to hold the motor. If so, that would indicate a fairy early date, I'm not sure when it went out of style but it is consistent with 1913/1914/1915...

The ends of the spring leaves aren't tapered which was a fairly standard feature on brass cars. Of course, the springs could easily have been replaced during it's working life but I'm leaning towards a date in the middle to late teens.

Upside down...yes. though I admit at first glance I thought it was underslung...then reality stepped in.

3 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Upside down...yes. though I admit at first glance I thought it was underslung...then reality stepped in.

The rear axle is underslung, i.e. the springs are hanging beneath the axle.  The front springs sit on top of the axle.  REO did this in the mid teens as well as other makes, I'm sure. 

More photos of the hub caps may help. Front and rear. These usually have a name on them. Being blank and made of iron may be a clue. Also, a photo of what is left of the drive shaft and of where the engine mounts. Also, Which side was the steering column mounted. It is not teens Buick. Most likely built during or after WWI or the hubcaps would have been Brass. And if you can, Flip the chassis right side up. A photo of the serial number and its location also. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

First, yes the NEWBIE posted a very difficult question with little for anyone to go on.  His fault but one of many who get on here and frustrate you.  However, this is a site paid for by AACA and the LAST thing we want is unkind treatment to people that post here.  We have board members that are beginning to complain to me that the general Forum is not in the best interest of the club due to some of the posts.  PLEASE, there is a way of getting your message across without chastising the poster.  If the post is that far off and is spam then let us know and we will remove the post.  The world is full of ranting, yelling, etc. let's not have our forums degenerate to that level.  Our forums do a lot of good and are enjoyable to most but some of my bosses are not so pleased with the tenor of some posts.  I'd hate for frustration to build up and see more drastic action occur.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7