Minnesota Barn Find Collection - $350,000

"Among the gems of this collection is an older restored 1955 Oldsmobile Starfire Convertible worth over $100,000 all on it’s own!"

Yeah that isn't a 100G 55 Olds anymore.  Maybe 30 -35 with a good clean up if it has no big issues.  Looks like alot of rust that won't clean off the chrome. 

• Like 2

Looks like a couple of interesting cars, I'm wondering what the vertical finned one is that just shows the tail end.

I can say that his isn't hitting any high numbers IQ wise himself. These cars have sat for years unattended and must have rusty undercarriages, mice infested interiors, rotted radiators, rusty fuel tanks, dried rubber bits and ring-set cylinder bores. Good luck with paperwork, it was probably all stored in the collector's house and tossed.

• Like 1

From the post 1 link

Minnesota Barn Collection

Cars Asking Price

• 1955 Oldsmobile Starfire Cabriolet - $100,000 Older restoration
  • 1967 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible - $60,000 All original surviver, good shape
  • 1957 Cadillac Eldorado 2DR Hard Top - $55,000 All original, 40k miles
  • 1968 Crown Party Bus Conversion - $30,000  $250k invested, older restoration with fine leather couches, seats, electronics Motorcycle hauler in rear with ramp Located in L.A.
  • 1939 Plymouth 2DR Cabriolet - $20,000 Restored minus top & Rumble seat
  • 1938 Oldsmobile Business Coupe (Long Nose) $16,000 25 year old restoration
  • 1940 La Salle 4DR - $16,000  Good 30 year old restoration
  • 1940 (Cadillac) La Salle 4DR Cabriolet - $10,000 Unrestored, 1 of 75 built
  • 1962 Pontiac Bonneville 2DR Convertible - $10,000  Complete, rotted
  • 1939 Plymouth 2DR Cabriolet - $8,000 Unrestored, decent shape
  • 1965 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible - $8,000 Old engine rebuild, complete parts car
  • 1946 Cadillac Project $7000
  • 1963 Pontiac Bonneville 2DR Convertible - $5000 Complete, rust
  • 1962 Pontiac Catalina 2DR Hard Top - $5000 rough
  • 1963 Pontiac Catalina 4DR Hard Top - $4000 rough
  • 1955 Olds 2DR Hard Top - Rough $4000
  • 1941 Cadillac Limo - Project $3000
  • 1984 Chevy El Camino $3000
  • 1982 Chevy El Camino $3000
  • 1960 El Camino - Project $2000
  • 1939 Plymouth 2DR Cab and Chassis $1000

I have mixed emotions on these things.   We all want to try to get as much for our stuff as possible and every one of us overvalues our own cars.  I find out that lesson every time I got to sell something.  But there is a difference between being optimistic by 10-20% and asking 5x or more what real market probably is.    I feel bad for the sellers when reality finally sets in.   Probably good folk who inherited the cars and are going off of what dad thought they were worth 20 years ago.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I have mixed emotions on these things.   We all want to try to get as much for our stuff as possible and every one of us overvalues our own cars.  I find out that lesson every time I got to sell something.  But there is a difference between being optimistic by 10-20% and asking 5x or more what real market probably is.    I feel bad for the sellers when reality finally sets in.   Probably good folk who inherited the cars and are going off of what dad thought they were worth 20 years ago.

That’s the truth about it. 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)

Might be the right area of the country to get VanDerBrink Auctions involved especially if there are spare parts and automobilia lying around too. Clean the cars up somewhat and park them outside in rows. With the auction company's extensive advertising & marketing, many thousands of people show up on auction day and spend outrageous sums of money on junk cars. But then there are auction fees involved and maybe the owners have tried this already..........

You are right 55er.  I find the smartest auctioneers offer adult beverages and generally pull higher numbers.

Stone cold sober guys seldom tip strippers.

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

If they give the cars a basic clean, and spent a few hundred $ on the cars that could run, would be easier to sell.  If they could driven around the barn-yard (not on public street) a few could sell.

Sellers need to spend 5 minutes researching what you can buy for the same brand/year/model that is fully drivable & legal on the roads. Then deduct ~20% from the asking price. Asking price is not the same as price sold.

• Like 1

The issues at play here will work themselves out....they always do.  I think we all see the cars sitting at this price point and think "either reality will set in", or the cars will go to heirs who will drop the price until the cars disappear.  If you are interested in any specific cars shown, make contact with the individual, don't tell him he's an idiot who is way out of line with his asking price.  Be friendly, respectful, compliment the car(s) you are interested in, let him know that you'd like to stay in touch and give him your contact information.  End the dialogue wishing him well and again compliment his cars.  then sit tight.  It is very likely he or his family will contact you down the road and you'll get an opportunity to buy it at a price fair to the buyer and the seller.  This approach has worked for me almost every time.  

My most recent antique car purchase followed this track......A relationship developed over almost a year.  We became friends.  The seller became disgusted by people calling and lowballing a price when  they'd never even seen the car and had no intention of traveling to check it out.  They were rude and critical of the car (but strangely wanted to buy it......?).  As the seller became more concerned about his age and the need to get rid of the car before moving in with his adult children, he called me back and told me I was the only person who contacted him about the car who wasn't an asshole.  He told me "I really need to sell it and I'd like for you to have it".  I threw him an number that was about half of his asking price, but fair.  He said "come get it".   

Make no enemies, be kind to the seller and his family.  There is no downside to it.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have 8 cars here that one day when I am too old to do much of anything they will go to......     nobody.  No kids or even nephews that have the ability to even turn a key.  I have them ready to be donated to a wounded vet charity and guess they will try and sell them in the same manner

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I have 8 cars here that one day when I am too old to do much of anything they will go to......     nobody.  No kids or even nephews that have the ability to even turn a key.  I have them ready to be donated to a wounded vet charity and guess they will try and sell them in the same manner

I see the same outcome with mine. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Lincoln and wanted to say to all of you that you are all spot on.  Although some are more blunt than others, all of you are correct, However I agree with John Blooms approach the most.  I appreciate All of us that still love these vehicles.  I sometimes think we are dinosaurs and the meteors are falling, but I will enjoy all the time I have left driving with the top down and meeting all the personalities that share this passion.  I will try and post some pics.

AWYL1624[1].JPG

• Like 6

Home and cleaning up 60,321 original miles. The father purchased from Hershey PA back in 1979 and the car had 58,000 documented miles.  Lineage paperwork in glove box along with original build sheet from rear seat. 

IMG_1927[1].JPG

IMG_1925[1].JPG

IMG_1928[1].JPG

• Like 2

Cleaned all day 5 gal of gas and a  new bat and it started up and ran great. I found it needed a drivers reflector, rear trunk seal and pass door seal when I cycled the trunk for the first time all three NOS pieces were in the trunk, (score!).   It cleaned up great interior is like new and its like driving your couch down the road.  Top cycled perfect from the first time, and works with Key or dash switch

BRRU1417[1].JPG

VIDQ9320[1].JPG

CGLY1325[1].JPG

• Like 14

Looks like a great car!  I'd be very careful about just putting gas in it and driving, without cleaning the gas tank.

I bought an identical car, thought I'd stolen it at $6000.  It had been sitting, gas tank seemed empty.  Put in gas, started and drove great.  Next day, tried to start, no dice.  The varnish in the bottom of the tank had dissolved, gone to valves when running, and stuck every one.  Pushrods were pretzels, had to remove heads and drive valves out with heat, punch, and hammer, they were so stuck. Very expensive lesson.....

I'm glad you got a good one.  The one I bought nickeled and dimed me to death, I rarely wanted a car as badly but never been as happy seeing a car leave my ownership.....

as found front.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Looks like a great car!  I'd be very careful about just putting gas in it and driving, without cleaning the gas tank.

I bought an identical car, thought I'd stolen it at $6000.  It had been sitting, gas tank seemed empty.  Put in gas, started and drove great.  Next day, tried to start, no dice.  The varnish in the bottom of the tank had dissolved, gone to valves when running, and stuck every one.  Pushrods were pretzels, had to remove heads and drive valves out with heat, punch, and hammer, they were so stuck. Very expensive lesson.....

I'm glad you got a good one.  The one I bought nickeled and dimed me to death, I rarely wanted a car as badly but never been as happy seeing a car leave my ownership.....

as found front.JPG

This is excellent advice. Never attempt to start & run a car on old gas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carmambo said:

Cleaned all day 5 gal of gas and a  new bat and it started up and ran great. I found it needed a drivers reflector, rear trunk seal and pass door seal when I cycled the trunk for the first time all three NOS pieces were in the trunk, (score!).   It cleaned up great interior is like new and its like driving your couch down the road.  Top cycled perfect from the first time, and works with Key or dash switch

BRRU1417[1].JPG

VIDQ9320[1].JPG

CGLY1325[1].JPG

Looks like a great car!  Congratulations on your purchase.

I did scope the tank before I started it, however truth be told I found out yesterday the car was only in the Barn for a little over a year and a half. Before then it was in and out of a family friends shop. they put new tires, fuel pump and filter. oil change, plugs, wires cap rotor and points.  they also fixed the heater hoses and environmental unit.  It is now only in dire need of an exhaust.  

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Anyone watch the "Jay Leno's Garage" ep on the Lincoln convertibles? The amount of switches on the top ? 

I haven’t seen that show, but I have lived it first hand. It’s not that hard to understand if you spend some time with the factory manual. Lots of relays but they are very robust. The switches are pretty reliable too, although there is one complicated rotary one that can crack where it mounts to a shaft. My top has been good for the 17 years or so since I put it all together. I probably cycle it at least twice a week from May to late October. I did once have a connector come loose, probably my fault.  Looked like I didn’t squeeze it together all the way. 

Now, the neutral safety switch is a whole different story… 😡

On 5/24/2022 at 10:45 AM, Carmambo said:

I bought the Lincoln and wanted to say to all of you that you are all spot on.  Although some are more blunt than others, all of you are correct, However I agree with John Blooms approach the most.  I appreciate All of us that still love these vehicles.  I sometimes think we are dinosaurs and the meteors are falling, but I will enjoy all the time I have left driving with the top down and meeting all the personalities that share this passion.  I will try and post some pics.

Can I say "You are welcome" & "I did that" since I posted it? Glad to see some fruit from my small amount of labor.