On the Road - Need Suggestions Colorado to Philly via Kansas

supercargirl

I am in Boulder Colorado where I have just delivered the family dog to my son. 

I am technically free - free from all responsiblities!  The only place I have to be is in Kansas City to view a car for a client sometime on my way back to Philly.  The world is my car oyster as long as it is accessible from/to I-70 east. 

I know Auburn is on the way but not until Labor Day so I either find enough to keep me busy till then or I have to come back in a few weeks to Indiana.  But Auburn (as opposed to Lime Rock Historics which falls on the same weekend) is on my itinerary. 

Looking for car related suggestions - shows, races, hillclimbs, get togethers. collections, cars and coffee's, musuems, the off beat, the eccentric. Please let me know what it is going on in your neighborhood. 

Also if you would like to be added to my newsletter PM your email address  I talk about everywhere I visit and I generally only send out about one a month.

Kelly Dietrick

P.S. The Blonde is my sister that drove out to save on airfare and is flying back hence the solo trip back east.

Colorado (1).jpg

Edited by supercargirl (see edit history)

If you drive on U.S. 36 instead of I-70, you can stop at Lebanon, KS, the geographic center of the 48 U.S. states.  It's a pleasant drive off the Interstates. It's a short stop.   

When you get to Indiana, the Indy Speedway Museum is also a good visit, plan for a few hours.

• Like 2

I strongly recommend the William E. Swigart Automobile Museum.  It's the oldest antique car museum in the country.  It's a fabulous collection of very rare and interesting automobiles and tons of automobilia.  Their license plate and radiator emblem collections are the most comprehensive you'll ever see.  It's very convenient to you coming from Pittsburgh on Rt 22 from Altoona Pa.  It's the best!  http://www.swigartmuseum.com/cars.html

Terry

• Like 1

Before leaving the area, see the Dougherty Museum just a few miles north of Boulder, and the Forney Museum in Denver. Both are very worthwhile, and the latter contains Amelia Earhart's "Yellow Peril" Kissel speedster as well as one of the gigantic "Big Boy" steam locomotives. In addition you can drive I-70 for less than an hour west of Denver and get a good taste of the Rocky Mountains, and stop in Idaho Springs and find good restaurants and bars along a pedestrian mall. Or drive westbound from Boulder up Boulder Canyon for spectacular scenery, and in 45 minutes reach Nederland with it's own restaurants and bars. Boulder also has a restaurant row downtown along a pedestrian mall that's well worth a stroll. I've been to Boulder/Denver twice in the last couple months. And for an off-the-wall visit, see the Lee Maxwell Washing Machine Museum in Eaton, Colorado, an hour northeast of Boulder. It's surprisingly interesting, and situated out on the peaceful prairie. 

As for alternative routes back, people also rave about the Classic Car Collection in Kearney, Nebraska. Among the best museums I've ever visited is the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, and since you're from Pennsylvania, the National Clock Museum in Columbia.

I've seen all these places as part of past Glidden Tours for pre-1942 cars. 

Edited by jrbartlett (see edit history)

Harold Warp's Pioneer Village in Minden Nebraska! 

http://pioneervillage.com/ 

in the 1950s a guy started collecting-accumulating "old" stuff that he remembered from his  childhood. 

It is now the biggest collection of common everyday things from the early 20th century. Not restored, not in perfect condition, but that is what makes it appealing. A bunch of old stuff! 

Maybe 100 cars. Typically bought from used car lots in the 1950s. There's an unrestored L-29 Cord sedan and a 36(?) Packard 12 coupe in the condition they were found in about 1955. The 1958 Ford Skyliner he bought new and put into his museum a few years later. 

• Like 1

@plymouthcranbrook I am actually on their newsletter list.  Love it.

Thanks everyone for all of the truly great suggestions. Could not fit them all in but from them I have culled three different itineraries that I will do over the next two months.

Leaving Boulder tomorrow and heading to Kearney NE to see if I can view the Classic Car Collection there (distance from Boulder 5 hrs) and then I can shoot down to Minden which is only a half hour away  for Harold Warp's Pioneer Village in Minden Nebraska.

Then I will head to the Gilmore Museum which is about 13 hours away.  I drive about 10 hrs a day so will stop somewhere before I get to Hickory Corners.  A night or two in Gilmore before heading to Philly - a one day 10 hour drive.

Second trip will be when I go out to Auburn for the ACD Festival.  I can visit the Studebaker Museum in South Bend from there since it is only 1.5 hrs from Auburn.

Finally I travel to Pittsuburgh alot as it is my old hometown and I still have family there.  I can stop at the Swiggert Musuem on that trip - I did not even know it existed.  So that can be done on the way to Pgh. from Philly.  The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI is 4.5 hrs from Pittsburgh.  The Indy Speedway is 4.5 hrs from Dearborn MI and Pittsburgh is 6hrs from the Speedway.  It is actually a triangle and would be about a three day trip which I will probably do at the end of September early October.

So glad I posted this.  If anyone has any suggestions on the trips laid out please let me know.  Would love to hear them.

• Like 2

You're not too far from The collection created by Clive Cussler just outside of Denver in Arvada, Colorado.

Unfortunately, the museum may not be open due to Covid-19

https://www.cusslermuseum.com/

Since it sounds like you have travel time beyond the weeks leading to ACD festival, fall in New England is pretty nice. 

This year, the Newport Concours runs Sept. 30 to Oct. 2 or 3, of course Hershey follows immediatly after that. Newport is quickly becoming a car destination with two museums.  Plenty to do and see otherwise as well.

Greenwich, usually a Spring event, is in late October this year, 22, 23 I think.  

Lime Rock is a great event but conflicts with ACD every year. Still, they draw great cars and racing action is fun as well.

Last, September, October are strong touring months for many clubs who do regional events here. 

We are starting to see some strong events here in New England in the fall.

So maybe not one of the three trips this time, but for future. Time is the greatest luxury, if your looking for ways to fill it, good for you!

20180902_133407.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

Dayton Ohio.......the Air Force Museum is a MUST see. Also the Packard museum on Ludlow Street.

Saw both of these in the one day on one of my US trips. Both well worthwhile. However you need days to see the Air Force Museum properly. I had 1/2 a day and could only take in one of the halls, WW2.

Thanks Steve Mack.  The east coast events I know and have attended plenty.  I have just never had the opportunity to do the midwest.  Driving from Boulder back to Phillly gives me the chance.  Now that the dog is safely with my son I can do what I have been dreaming of doing for a decade or more - driving around the country doing all things cars.  After the US I plan on doing the same thing in Europe starting in April albeit a bit more organized.  

First stop Classic Car Collection Kearney NE!  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Dog pic???  Seems to be central to making things happen... 🐕🐕🐕

A soldier and his dog reunited.  When my son Henry left for the Army I inherited the dog.  Now that he is going to college in Boulder JR has come home to his rightful owner.  

In Kearney NE as I write.  Tomorrow the Classic Car Museum and the Pioneer Village in Minden.  

Henry.jpg.f016bebf887b23241e82525dfaf00500.jpg

JR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Geneva Concours is August 22 in Geneva, IL. http://genevaconcours.net

The British Car Festival is September 12, in Palatine IL. https://www.britishcarunion.com/index.htm

Ariens Art on Wheels Vintage Weekend featuring VSCDA Sept 17-19 at Road America. https://www.roadamerica.com/ariens-art-wheels-vintage-weekend-featuring-vscda

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)

CarNucopia indeed.  Those are all good events.  I need to rethink my calendar.  I've never done Road America.  I wanted to do the Collier Cup at Wakins Glen September 10-12 with Dave Nicholas's MGVR Group.  This is a great bunch of people but I think the only thing available is camping and sister does not camp:)  So perhaps Road America instead.

• Like 2

If you  take Interstate 80 it's worth a stop at the Iowa 80 Trucking Museum located at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop, the "World's largest truck stop" at Walcott, Iowa.

The truck stop is a wonder itself with 900 parking places,  a huge store selling any accessory a trucker can dream of, a restaurant and all the amenities you would expect at a truck stop. Additionally there is a barber shop, a dentist office, a chiropractor,  a movie theater, a library, a laundromat and even a dog wash for the trucker's canine traveling companion. 

The Trucking Museum in a separate building on the site has a large, well displayed collection of trucks from the last 100+ years.

In July of each year they host the annual "Truckers' Jamboree".

Don

• Like 1

4 hours ago, supercargirl said:

@Fargoguy I did not know about either museum so thanks.

If anyone is ever in Philly I can give you a tour of the Simeone Automotive Museum.

NAtmus shares a parking lot with ACD- but ford v8 was an absolute gem my daughter and I stumbled upon

On 8/10/2021 at 10:10 PM, supercargirl said:

Finally I travel to Pittsuburgh alot as it is my old hometown and I still have family there.

My Dad is from the greater Pittsburgh-Johnstown PA area, too. We still have family there as well.

You are welcome to stop here in Elgin IL ... along historic US 20! Maybe you could plan to be here for a Cruise Day (Sundays, 3p-6p) or Cruise Night (Wednesdays, 6p-8p)?

Cort, pig & cow valves with pacemaker
2003 MGM LS + 1981 cmc SC; want 1975 Chrysler Cordoba
"A long white line stretching out on the road ahead" | Vince Gill | 'The Radio'

23 hours ago, supercargirl said:

CarNucopia indeed.  Those are all good events.  I need to rethink my calendar.  I've never done Road America.  I wanted to do the Collier Cup at Wakins Glen September 10-12 with Dave Nicholas's MGVR Group.  This is a great bunch of people but I think the only thing available is camping and sister does not camp:)  So perhaps Road America instead.

I have a bit of a bias towards Road America. To give you a sense of it, I’ve instructed my family to scatter my ashes there after I die. I’ve never been to the fall vintage event, but the summer one has always been great. If you head up there, the Harley Davidson museum in Milwaukee is really good. And that’s from a guy who is not fond of “The Motor Company”. There’s also a Wisconsin Automotive Museum, but I’ve never been and can’t speak to it’s quality. https://wisconsinautomuseum.com

There’s a car show on September 11th at the old, long closed Meadowdale raceway in Carpentersville. Not a huge show, but an interesting mix.

The weekend after RA vintage event, Eyes on Design is going on in Dearborn.  http://www.eyesondesign.org/carshow 

@CarNucopia:  This sounds promising: There’s a car show on September 11th at the old, long closed Meadowdale raceway in Carpentersville. Not a huge show, but an interesting mix.  I like stuff off the beaten path.  Notice I am heading in the complete opposite direction of Pebble Beach where I have countless clients and business associates taking part in the events.

I did do the Classic Car Museum in Kearney today and will post about it tomorrow.  Great cars, truly awesome people - when I was driving through the town to get to the museum I was looking around taking it all in (never met a town I didn't love:) and when I glanced in the rearview mirror the woman behind me gently shushed her hands like a parent moving a kid on and I realized I was sitting through the green light.  Safe to say that would not be the reaction of the other driver in Philly LOL.  

More tomorrow.  Drove within four hours of the Gilmore Museum.  Very excited about that.

• Haha 1

@Ozstatman - took your advice and booked two nights in Kalamazoo.  Never thought I would be writing those words!  Tomorrow at the Gilmore starts the Lincoln Homecoming Weekend and the Kalamazoo Orchestra plays on Saturday.  Update later. Getting a late start. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

• Like 1

While in Kalamazoo, Look into a place call the “Air Zoo”.  Our tour stopped there on the recent Celebration of Brass HCCA tour.   The Air zoo is a fantastic air museum heavy in early and WWII planes and even has an SR71 and a B1 stealth bomber.   It’s all air conditioned and has a cafeteria.   Was a nice surprise for me just three weeks ago.  

3 hours ago, Bob McAnlis said:

While in Kalamazoo, Look into a place call the “Air Zoo”.  Our tour stopped there on the recent Celebration of Brass HCCA tour.   The Air zoo is a fantastic air museum heavy in early and WWII planes and even has an SR71 and a B1 stealth bomber.   It’s all air conditioned and has a cafeteria.   Was a nice surprise for me just three weeks ago.  

Bob I did not see that but I will be updating the post on my trip to the Gilmore Musuem that I visited today.  The Gilmore is pretty incredible.  Pierce Arrow, Lincoln, Ford, the CCAC. 

They have a good thing going on.  

On 8/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, supercargirl said:

@CarNucopia:  This sounds promising: There’s a car show on September 11th at the old, long closed Meadowdale raceway in Carpentersville. Not a huge show, but an interesting mix.  I like stuff off the beaten path.  Notice I am heading in the complete opposite direction of Pebble Beach where I have countless clients and business associates taking part in the events.

I was just looking at the registration form for the show and it states the first 200 cars get a goody bag. So maybe I'm wrong about it being small. One of the cool things about the show is trophy winners get to drive a parade lap around the old track. I received Judges' Choice in 2018 and got to do it. The front straight is still there, but the rest of the track is a narrow nature trail. Still, it was pretty cool. If you go, shoot me a DM. I should have a car there along with all the other shows I posted.