Beautiful Packard

rwchatham

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

• Look at thses two 1932 Packards wheels.  Are they the same size?  The best Resto-Mods
  • I've seen are hard to tell from stock.  Could the red one be one of those?
wallpapers_packard_custom-eight_1932_1_b.jpg

905D2FF6-EFA2-499D-8BA5-AB5AEFBF5536.jpeg

The gray/green car is a '32 Super Eight, with 19-inch split rims. The red car is a '34 Twelve, with 17-inch drop-center wheels. The '34 is NOT a resto-rod. It is a known car, worth a few million dollars.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

The gray/green car is a '32 Super Eight, with 19-inch split rims. The red car is a '34 Twelve, with 17-inch drop-center wheels. The '34 is NOT a resto-rod. It is a known car, worth a few million dollars.

West........your estimate is low........the last few have changed in much higher numbers. Especially the last two private treaty sales. The split windshield cars are now insane. Only the convertible sedan goes for under 2. Interesting that the closed cars bring more money than the open ones.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

THANK YOU! Explaining the obvious is sometimes necessary, why I have no idea. Bob 

39 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

If you want to see the red one in the flesh, it is routinely on display at the Gilmore Car Museum.  Definitely not a resto mod / street rod.  

D6BB9FD1-F94E-4401-84DF-8298BD68FE8F.jpeg

1 minute ago, rwchatham said:

Ed you are living a good life driving around in one of those ! 

Driving the rarest of the Packard Individual Custom Dietrich’s has its down side............I just haven’t figured out what it is yet........

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

YES....on two of the three. The last one would require extensive paint work. I took off the Pilot Rays.......and a bunch of other junk. If I can find an original photo of our car without them.......they would be off in thirty seconds. We were told it had them new..........I don't believe it.

I see I have rubbed off on you.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Cadillac Fan said:

If you want to see the red one in the flesh, it is routinely on display at the Gilmore Car Museum.  Definitely not a resto mod / street rod.  

D6BB9FD1-F94E-4401-84DF-8298BD68FE8F.jpeg

I was just thinking isn't this Packard Coupe the same one that was photographed unrestored "as found" in an open field? Think the photo is on this Forum somewhere. Bob 

6 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I see I have rubbed off on you.

No.......I had good taste long before you did. Just look at what your wearing! I bet if your wife saw this before you asked her out she would have said “no way“! Look at those wide white walls.........and you probably rode on the small busses with the headgear........it explains a lot. 

Just for the record.......this was BEFORE he started medication. 🤪

It’s a good thing I work on your cars for free......otherwise you should be mad at me....😛

2A28AC67-A63A-4878-8F30-37B24C0DD986.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, edinmass said:

No.......I had good taste long before you did. Just look at what your wearing! I bet if your wife saw this before you asked her out she would have said “no way“! Look at those wide white walls.........and you probably rode on the small busses with the headgear........it explains a lot. 

Just for the record.......this was BEFORE he started medication. 🤪

It’s a good thing I work on your cars for free......otherwise you should be mad at me....😛

Since that picture was taken just before I drove over for our first date I’d say she knows my style.

• Haha 1

Just now, alsancle said:

Since that picture was taken just before I drove over for our first date I’d say she knows my style.

I shall withhold a funny and inappropriate comment, for your very lovely wife’s sake. Just like my cars....I have class. 🤭 

• Haha 1

There was a '33 Dietrich V-12 coupe that was bought new in Houston and lived here until the '90s. My father was second in line to buy the car back in the 1960s for $10,000. He needed one day to get the money out of the bank, but another guy (a friend) walked in with that much cash in his pockets. The seller needed the cash that day to get out of a financial/legal jam. Sometimes, you just need a little more luck in this hobby. We always knew just what a treasure the car was, and both my dad and the other guy had made long-standing offers to buy it. The car was great running and looking, totally original, sort of a two-tone silver-blue. The buyer had the car restored in the '80s, and it has since been restored once or twice more. 

• Like 3

On 12/27/2020 at 7:32 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

If that's a street rod, count me in,  the 15" wheels indicate it might be.

No. Its is one of 3-4 real-deal Packard 12 individual custom stationary coupes by Dietrich.  Ed knows more about these cars than I do but it's definitely NOT a street rod.

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Nice job covering up the ski rack holes.

JOHAN CAR vintage out of production plastic model kits for sale Gasoline  Alley Antiques

One of these days I'll find a picture of our Red 69 Eldorado that my dad went fully Huggy Bear on.   However,  I would advise against making fun of it as he will wack you with his cane if he gets in range.

Well, I wouldn't call the Mona Lisa a finger painting, but I asked if the Packard could be a street rod.

Thanks for the education on early packard wheels.  However I've seen some beautiful cars that not

even the wheels would tell me it was a Resto-Mod

129017213_PackardNSRA.thumb.jpg.478f76120404f5e36fe2befcaef1612b.jpg 

Maybe the wheels were a clue on this Packard, because they were 15".

836665287_32BuickNSRA.thumb.jpg.f109fa1c1d98e2ee2f76d6ef1c5bc1be.jpg

1932 Buick, but the color was a clue too.

The 34 Packard had a much wider 17" wheel than I'm use to.  My 1934 Ford Phaeton.

PheatonEstate.jpg.44d7c9689e41d2c7584daebfd6ef692e.jpg

Or the 15" wheels on my 35 Buick.

Buick@Parkers.thumb.jpg.83e7109a5945e971ef5acc255bd604b8.jpg

But now I know that 1932 Packards could be 19" or 20" and 1934 Packards could be 17".  Thanls to all of you 

for sharing and don't worry about the Mona Lisa being called a Paint by Numbers painting, by me.

On 12/28/2020 at 12:06 PM, edinmass said:

All this Packard Dietrich talk made me want to go for a spin. Taken twenty minutes ago..............Yes, I straightened the bird out.

IMG_1255.thumb.jpg.8e8f6c11e130419abb4732cbd1bd2b57.jpg

It's no Dietrich, but for those of us slumming around in an Eight, here's my view 20 minutes ago.

IMG_8731.thumb.JPG.c71bc41dcc002be3d49a2ff680af7467.JPG

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

It's no Dietrich, but for those of us slumming around in an Eight, here's my view 20 minutes ago.

A 1934 100 point eight...........👍👍👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Well, I wouldn't call the Mona Lisa a finger painting, but I asked if the Packard could be a street rod.

Thanks for the education on early packard wheels.  However I've seen some beautiful cars that not

836665287_32BuickNSRA.thumb.jpg.f109fa1c1d98e2ee2f76d6ef1c5bc1be.jpg

1932 Buick, but the color was a clue too.

The 34 Packard had a much wider 17" wheel than I'm use to.  My 1934 Ford Phaeton.

PheatonEstate.jpg.44d7c9689e41d2c7584daebfd6ef692e.jpg

Or the 15" wheels on my 35 Buick.

Buick@Parkers.thumb.jpg.83e7109a5945e971ef5acc255bd604b8.jpg

But now I know that 1932 Packards could be 19" or 20" and 1934 Packards could be 17".  Thanls to all of you 

for sharing and don't worry about the Mona Lisa being called a Paint by Numbers painting, by me.

There are so many things wrong with the maroon convertible coupe that it screams resto rod to me.    The fat tires are usually the easiest give away,  but the missing hood doors is another give away.

• Thanks 1

Never disappointed by a Packard, but if you’ve seen the Mona Lisa in person, a real disappointment.  A little bit bigger than a sheet of paper in your printer, hard to even get close to with the crowds....I can’t draw a stick figure, but that particular painting is so over rated.  Find a masterpiece you can stand in front of for two hours, and still see nuances...I have, and such a painting puts the Mona Lisa to shame...

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, alsancle said:

There are so many things wrong with the maroon convertible coupe that it screams resto rod to me.    The fat tires are usually the easiest give away,  but the missing hood doors is another give away.

The 34 Packard that started this discussion had fat tires too, (By comparison)

hence my question.   

The Packard convertible coupe could even be fiberglass too,  I've seen them also,

but it was the first one I found in my pictures.

1 hour ago, 1935Packard said:

IMG_1255.thumb.jpg.8e8f6c11e130419abb4732cbd1bd2b57.jpg

Don't feel bad about having a lowly Standard Eight Packard.  At least your car had a radio.  Something the Dietrich does not.        

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, trimacar said:

if you’ve seen the Mona Lisa in person, a real disappointment.  A little bit bigger than a sheet of paper in your printer, hard to even get close to with the crowds.

Agree...

Been there done that.

On 12/29/2020 at 4:12 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

The other clue is the alligator-opening hood and no hood vents. Also, I suspect that this whole car is one of the reproductions made out of plastic.

• Like 1

Interesting comments on the Mona Lisa. Beyond early automobiles, and history in general, I have always had a great deal of passion for music and art (I however have absolutely no talent in those areas!). I have never had a real opportunity to travel the world, anymore than I can afford a million dollar Packard. However, I have read a lot about it, and watched documentaries on the subjects. I came to the conclusion years ago that the painting may have been over-hyped somewhat. But this is the first time I have seen someone willing to say (write) so aloud.

I knew the painting was small, in spite of the fact it is seldom written so. A few years back, there was a typical Hollywood costume piece movie that involved Leonardo Da Vinci (I don't offhand recall which movie). It showed him carrying his unfinished Mona Lisa rolled up in a tube. I laughed as I knew the painting was on a piece of wood that could not be rolled up!

It is historically a remarkable work of art. It is also interesting that a lot of early master works are smaller than we tend to believe. Many of the greatest artists of those years were sponsored by wealthy or royal patrons of the arts, and had to work within the confines of the patron's wishes. If they were working independently, canvas in large art sizes was expensive. In those days, even paper was very expensive (google "palimpsest").  So other alternative mediums were often used, including used or scrap wooden boards. Many larger works were the frescos which could cover an entire wall! They required a great deal of work and time to complete, and then could not be moved to better locations for public viewing. Even smaller frescos tended to be heavy and awkward to transport. The majority of frescos did not survive beyond a few local wars. 

• Like 1

I'm more interested in the story behind the license plate. Always liked the 76 Eldo 'vert particularly with FI. Never had one though, my cars are smaller.

ps back in the day Florida required a helmet. Had a Snell 75 Bell Magnum with speakers in the sides.

95.jpg

I've viewed the Mona Lisa at least ten times over the past thirty-five years, my first impression was that it was smaller than I had envisioned, but it is a beautiful painting (it is not an over-the-sofa velvet Elvis).  We always avoided the Louvre during the busy tourist times so that we can take in the art and antiquities at a leisurely pace.  However for real art lovers the Musee d'Orsay in Paris is likely your best bet for more of the Masters.

My wife and I have had the good luck to visit many great galleries and museums during our travels around the world over the years and we still consider ML a highlight.  IMO it was the love of art that brought me to my Packard and the old car hobby.

Gangster, you then remember when the Mona Lisa was unobtrusively mounted on the east wall of the room.  It sort of surprised you there and you could have your opinion if it really stood out or not.

Now it's on the north wall and surrounded by idiots with selfie sticks.  There is some talk of taking it out of the Louvre to a new location for "check the box" tourists.

The Orsay shows a different period - most of the art there was not in the Louvre, but in the Jeu de Paume. 

The big room at the top of the escalator blows you away if you are into Impressionism.  It's like the Magnum Opus was to Packard people at the Centennial meet

I've seen the ML once, and after elbowing all the chinese and/or Japanese aside I realized they were all gaping and selfie stick picturing at the ML. It's about the size of a glorified stamp! Dont know what all the fuzz was about; I'd rather look and drive an early 30's Packard by Dietrich! 

The Egyptian & Mesopotamia side of the Louvre were more interesting to me.

• Like 1

Was messing around in u-tube one day looking at a video totally unrelated to classic cars when I stumbled upon the Holy Grail!  

Fast forward on the link below (if the link doesn't work, copy and paste it into your browser) to the 30 minute 20 second mark.  If that doesn't work, go into u-tube and search for a video called "Secrets of Llewellyn Park"

My religion says "Thou shalt not lust"  but I can't help it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQPW_VyL9ZE

Brian

7 minutes ago, packard12man said:

Was messing around in u-tube one day looking at a video totally unrelated to classic cars when I stumbled upon the Holy Grail!  

Fast forward on the link below (if the link doesn't work, copy and paste it into your browser) to the 30 minute 20 second mark.  If that doesn't work, go into u-tube and search for a video called "Secrets of Llewellyn Park"

My religion says "Thou shalt not lust"  but I can't help it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQPW_VyL9ZE

Brian

Judge Cassini's pontoon fendered Dietrich.   Only known car built like that.

1934 Packard Twelve Individual Custom Convertible Victoria by Dietrich -  Sports Car Market

I'm actually not a huge fan of the back of the car.

fbf1b359b93fcd18eb285db7dd53ef03.jpg

_wsb_474x316_Packard-Outside-023.jpg

dietrich1.jpg

• Like 1