Beautiful Packard

rwchatham

24 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

Beautiful automobile, especially without being overloaded with accessory lights etc.

Basically perfection.......why mess with it. They need to remove the side mount mirrors. I like the color.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rwchatham said:

The split windshield with also being curved is stunning .

It’s not curved.......they are flat as a pancake...........the photo is distorting how the glass looks.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rwchatham said:

Ed are you sure ? That windshield trim sure looks curved along the cowl area . 

Yes.....I’m sure. I have worked on one, and replaced a driver side glass.

The bottom is cut on an arc.......but the glass is flat. 

Might be a generational verbiage gap........at my age glass is flat.........or curved. Flat glass with a curved bottom is a given. No harm, no foul. 

👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

As wonderful as the Dietrich Custom Stationary Coupes Style 4068 are, one wonders why they weren't built the same way the other stationary coupes were i.e. a metal roof mounted on the coupe-roadster body.

The answer to your question would take an hour to explain. The Individual Custom Dietrich is a different animal than most anything on the planet...........refined is an understatement. They literally are a masterpiece of style and engineering. You have to experience one to truly understand it. 

• Like 3

Ed:

Indeed they are, but consider if the Dietrich stationary coupe had been constructed in the same manner as the other stationary coupes i.e. essentially as a hardtop coupe, it would not have detracted from the masterpiece of styling or engineering.  The greenhouse light. airy and elegant.

Further, imagine if the sport sedan had been built as a convertible sedan half-door lower body with the rear body section more close-coupled and a trim, thin-shelled top in place... 

17’s is correct. The 1934  Packard Individual Custom Dietrich Stationery Coupe is considered the most beautiful car ever made by the majority of the designers and collectors..........myself, I prefer the Phaeton from 1932.

• Like 4

Absolute perfection in a car.  I'd argue that regular-bodied 11th series Packards are also super-awesome at a small fraction of the price of the Dietrich.  But yeah, a Dietrich stationary coupe is perfection.

P.S. Recently hit 1,000 posts, which is a small fraction of some of you but seems like official proof I am wasting too much time here.  Which I will continue to do!  :)

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cadillac Fan said:

32 is my favorite too, but I love the hood of the 34

Easy solution....buy one of each. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ojh said:

Didn't the '32 have a shovel nose?

Only the 900 Series......released later in the year along with the Twin Six. The 900 was the "baby" Packard.......which I am sure someone will be insulted by. I own the press release and advertising kit Packard sent to the NYT for the announcement. It's a huge package of stuff......with countless clip art of cars and such. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recall that's the one Packard swept under the carpet because folks like Al Jolsen quickly realized it was actually a pretty cool car for the money! They feared it would cannibalize Packard's other lines rather than ad a layer of new sales in a lower priced segment as originally intended.

49 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Have you removed the mirrors on your car, yet?

YES....on two of the three. The last one would require extensive paint work. I took off the Pilot Rays.......and a bunch of other junk. If I can find an original photo of our car without them.......they would be off in thirty seconds. We were told it had them new..........I don't believe it.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, edinmass said:

17’s is correct. The 1934  Packard Individual Custom Dietrich Stationery Coupe is considered the most beautiful car ever made by the majority of the designers and collectors..........myself, I prefer the Phaeton from 1932.

Ed, I just watched Jay Leno driving around in his 1932 Twin Six Coupe, is there a big difference in the 1934? I like that '34 body, but prefer the open fenders of a 1932. Bob 

45 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ed, I just watched Jay Leno driving around in his 1932 Twin Six Coupe, is there a big difference in the 1934? I like that '34 body, but prefer the open fenders of a 1932. Bob 

Big difference between the '32-33 factory coupes and the '34s. In 1932-33, the coupe greenhouse was very tall (like a phone booth inbetween a trunk and a hood). For 1934, the coupes had a much lower greenhouse, much more like a convertible coupe. In Fact, basically the '34 coupe IS a convertible coupe, with a hardtop attached.

• Like 2

That smooth upright coupe roof line without trim to break the flow has always been a favorite of mine. I still remember spotting these 1990 Riviera coupes in traffic and really appreciating the lines.

Some cars just have an area where lines come together just right no matter what the year. I have had a few with certain curves I just can't help but enjoy waxing. Some shapes and confluences are timeless.

1990 Buick Riviera (CC-1060739) for sale in Canton, Georgia

I remember working on the digital dash and CRT computer tubes in those things..........a pain in the ass. We ended up specializing in them..........long story.