Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

The poor sales manager is forced to put up with tire kickers - and tire grabbers!  The tire grabber is actually a B-lister, and can be seen in a supporting role many years later in "The man who shot Liberty Valance".  Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to figure out which character he played! 

1931CadillacUsedCarLot_000011.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

45617321354_b3efbdd971_b.jpg

4 hours ago, hook said:

What is with those blacked out headlamps? I didn't think we had black out during WWI.

I can't make out what it is with the headlamps on that second car? They may be gutted, or covered over? The rims/bezels appear to be there.  The near car is missing its rim and lens on its right headlamp. The left headlamp appears to be intact. The near car appears to be a 1916 to early 1918 Studebaker

Both cars appear to have some sort of winter-front or blankets over the radiators. The Studebaker's covers most of the hood as well as the front of the radiator.

3 hours ago, HK500 said:

The poor sales manager is forced to put up with tire kickers - and tire grabbers!  The tire grabber is actually a B-lister, and can be seen in a supporting role many years later in "The man who shot Liberty Valance".  Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to figure out which character he played! 

He looks like Ken Murray, he played Doc Willoughby

Thank you Walt, it is indeed an incredible car with an amazing history. I feel privileged to be the caretaker . I have made it a mission to tell of the remarkable story and accomplishments of the original owner and builder of the car, Carl Graham Fisher. He is truly a forgotten American hero. To others that do not know the story, just Google Carl Graham Fisher and be prepared to become immersed into a story of a great American entrepreneur and an indomitable spirit and patriot.  Imagine, one person with the vision to create the first super speedway, the first real road across America, and the creation of Miami Beach from a snake infested swamp. And these are just a small part of his legacy that he built and handed off to the country. Remarkably, he never wanted his name attached to his successes, and always gave the recognition to the others involved. His influence is as great or more than many of the Titans of the industrial development of The United Sates and yet he is barely remembered.

rc14105.jpg

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, HK500 said:

1931 Cadillac 355A Sport Phaeton by Fleetwood. Obviously, the actor played the drunk doctor, it sure isn’t Pompey!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Missouri - St. Louis , 1930

Missouri - St. Louis , 1930.jpg

Comparing this to the images in the Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, edited by Kimes and Clark, the six nearest Moons are 1928 six cylinder models, the next three are 1927 sixes and the last on the right is a 1926-'27 Diana.  Moon replaced their Rolls-Royce-style radiator shell for 1927 with one that look vaguely like the eight cylinder Diana, itself with Belgian Minerva-inspired styling.  The Diana transitions for 1928 to become the Moon 8-80 Aerotype, then itself becomes Windsor the next season. 

Must have been a confusing time at the Moon plant, workers asking 'what make of car are we building today?'   This before the craziness of the Ruxton debacle...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Does anyone have an idea what this car is?

DSC01309.JPG

Some similarities, unusual radiator, steering column angle. Fenders are different, frame horns look different. But I remember a thread from a few years back about a 1908 big model Lambert friction drive touring car (I haven't heard any updates in the past couple years and do not know its current status). However I found the mtfca thread. Might be a place to start looking? I did look at one of the links in that thread, It went to a lengthy article in a 1907 'Automobile Trade Journal'.  If the second link doesn't take you directly to the article, it starts on page 91.

MTFCA forum thread

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/881787.html?1544090925

Link to Google Books 'Automobile Trade Journal',

https://books.google.com/books?id=MnTPHt_y9qIC&pg=RA5-PA83&dq=lambert+1907+automobile&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjF-Zq6zK3cAhVR3VMKHaOoAgEQ6AEIJTAA#v=onepage&q=lambert 1907 automobile&f=false

Edited by wayne sheldon
spotted a typo :( (see edit history)

14 hours ago, GARY F said:

I remember during WWII my father painting the top half of the headlights on his 36 Olds black.

Yes, but this is WWI time. We had no fear of any air bombardment in that war. Zeppelins hadn't made any trans-Atlantic crossings. (nobody had) 

On 5/30/2021 at 4:58 PM, SC38DLS said:

1196232833_steameng.JPG.6822c3c78fcb408e0e608589f95d5ced.JPG701361438_logt1.JPG.98fc72c0220b039cd0e9da6d85b16936.JPG

Would you say that this is a Christmas time "Yule Log"?

I've read that for slaves in this country (USA), Christmas had special meaning. December was a slow work month on the typical plantation, and it became the social season for them. The slaves' holiday lasted until the Yule log burned, which sometimes took over a week. I think this one might have lasted all winter.

• Like 1

This is a 57,  but one of my distinct HS memories was being down the Cape on a Saturday night and meeting a kid that had just bought a 55 running a 327 Vette Engine with a m22 Rock Crusher.  Since this was the early 80s and not the 60s it was a very rare sight.   The sound of that transmission was magical to a HS kid.

Chevy57.jpg

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

They seemed REALLY worried that the front wheel was going to fall off. How many lugnuts do you need?

I hear Rahal was missing one at Indy.....that aside, that does look excessive and then some...anybody have any idea why?