Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

So, one can not assume anything about this photo. I’m certain it’s not factory wheel covers, trunk rack, artillery wheels, and running board treatment. I’m guessing it may have been imported in pieces unassembled to save on import costs. The current photos i have of the car don’t indicate they are anything special. I am suspicious that the wheels are not chrome......but aluminum paint. 

37749FFD-CDD5-42A9-BE6B-660FAC1BC23B.png

Those wheels look a lot like Jumbo Generals to me. Here is one with fewer spokes....

General Jumbo spokes.jpg

10 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

44443593184_eb095b0d4b_b.jpg

That was back when gasoline pumps actually had hoses!!! Now your lucky if you can reach the hose to your car even if your tires are scuffing the pump island.

• Like 2

Just now, hook said:

That was back when gasoline pumps actually had hoses!!! Now your lucky if you can reach the hose to your car even if your tires are scuffing the pump island.

Costco's pumps have long hoses.  They even have graphic signage showing how long they are!

Craig

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Costco's pumps have long hoses.  They even have graphic signage showing how long they are!

Craig

I wouldn't know Craig. I live in Delaware and I'm not about to drive over a hundred miles to check their hoses!!! haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I know this one is not automotive related but I just had to share it:

jub.jpg

Your right it's not automotive. We have to stay on course, at least my train is on a highway!! Just joking, Is he waiting for the traffic light to change?

PC-Atlantic City NJ April 25 1954 PRR A5s 0-4-0 switcher.jpg

Edited by hook (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

So, one can not assume anything about this photo. I’m certain it’s not factory wheel covers, trunk rack, artillery wheels, and running board treatment. I’m guessing it may have been imported in pieces unassembled to save on import costs. The current photos i have of the car don’t indicate they are anything special. I am suspicious that the wheels are not chrome......but aluminum paint. 

37749FFD-CDD5-42A9-BE6B-660FAC1BC23B.png

New Zealand didn't have the requirement for the fender mounted side lamps that the UK did, as far as I know. English cars just arrived here with them fitted.

This Pierce was one of two imported for Gerhards Husheer. I don't have details of the other one to hand but will see what I can find.

Whether this one is the same car or another I don't know - 

Duncan Fox fb 0119.jpg

Here is the car in the main photo from the front - wearing a dealer plate that dates the photo to between 1 July 1934 and 30 June 1935 -  

Pierce-Arrow for Husheer f.jpg

And another of it in Southward's Museum in 2016 - giving a better look at the wheels and proving it is a Twelve - 

34 at southwards 2016.jpg

• Like 2

Yup, it’s the same car. What were the import taxes in New Zealand back in 1934? Was it likely to have been brought in disassembled?

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Yup, it’s the same car. What were the import taxes in New Zealand back in 1934? Was it likely to have been brought in disassembled?

Unlikely I think. It most likely came as SUP, a single unit pack. Tourist Motors also imported Studes at the time - there were three Presidents for Husheer, 1921, '32 and '33, all of which survive.

As far as I know those two Pierces were the only one to come to NZ in that era. Someone locally has had an engine from a teens Pierce for many years but I don't think its origins are known.

There was no local assembly of Studebakers either. I presume they mostly arrived in a big crate with the wheels removed to save space.

The only significant local assembly was of Fords,  which had been going on since the teens, and the lower and mid price GM stuff (including Vauxhalls) from early 1926 when GMNZ was set up and the plant established in Petone, near Wellington. As far as I know there was no local assembly of Mopars until 1935. A few English makes saw local assembly but to what extent they had local content I don't know.

Up until about the mid 1920s there were a few cars fitted with local bodies but the prices were much higher than the standard factory items. I have a photo of some Dodges at a local show with a mix of local and factory bodies. I will see if I can find it.

The NZ market was quite different to the Australian market where they had quite severe rules which had been introduced during WW1 to reduce pressure on shipping space and which also favoured the local coachbuilding industry. In NZ the rules varied but mostly did favour local assembly to some extent but not as much as Oz. Particularly post WW2 the import rules tended to change frequently depending on the country's overseas reserves.

Our imports of 'American' cars were quite mixed with most of the lower price stuff coming from Canada and the rest from the US.

My, my how times have changed. I think they've added a little asphalt to this location.  The house where Edgar Allan Poe wrote the Raven in 1844, the current day intersection of West 84th Street and Broadway in New York City.

The house where Edgar Allan Poe wrote the Raven in 1844, near the current day intersection of West 84th Street and Broadway in New York City..jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

This picture of a Reo Royale at first seems like it might have chrome artillery wheels.   But better views make it look more like silver paint.   Unless I have the chrome artillery in my hands,  I'm always leaning painted.

VictoriaWithArtilleryWheels.PNG

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, edinmass said:

More on this - I will have to see what I can find about the actual import duties in various eras.

• Thanks 1

I mentioned in an earlier post I was looking for some photos of local coachbuilt cars. Haven't found them yet but did come across these in my files. A series of photos of the same location from 1880 to 2011. The last just after the big earthquake of 22 February 2011 which resulted in the demolition of a significant proportion of the older commercial buildings in the city. The area in these photos is Papanui, a few miles north of the central city. I drive a bus through that intersection several times a day. It is now 1 am Friday - time I went to bed.

a 1880 Papanui_1880.jpg

b 14 rickerbys-papanui-building-1914.jpg

c 60 Pap roundabout 1960.jpg

1966 - the occasion was the funeral of a senior police officer.

d 66 Papanui Rd 1966 police funeral.jpg

1975. Firestone tyres had a factory not far from here which was closed only few years ago.

e 75 Papanui Roundabout 1975.jpg

f 2009 Papanui_Junction.JPG

g 2011 Papanui Building 2011 from Main Nth Rd.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, alsancle said:

This picture of a Reo Royale at first seems like it might have chrome artillery wheels.   But better views make it look more like silver paint.   Unless I have the chrome artillery in my hands,  I'm always leaning painted.

VictoriaWithArtilleryWheels.PNG

I think they are demountable painted wood wheels. Not artillery wood wheels or chromed or painted metal wheels.

This was the way cars were transported - interstate highways didn't exist ( as we know them today) . One of the first paved ( concrete, not oiled dirt)  and banked highways that ran any length was on long island and was a PRIVATELY OWNED ROAD. It ran between western Queens County ( a borough of NY City) to Suffolk County . The Long Island Motor Parkway - owned by auto enthusiast William K. Vanderbilt Jr.

Complete cars were loaded into box cars and transported - I have period photos of Packard's being loaded and secured for their trip to NY City  by train.  By the mid /late 1930s you started to see more transportation of new cars via trucks, also there were massive "drive aways" where on a select date new cars would be driven from the factory to assorted cities for delivery - sometimes 100 plus cars on a given day.

LI Motor PKY map 002.jpg

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

SFPD 1920's.jpg

That's good in theory and as long as you don't use full automatic. But, the way a Thompson pulls to the left on full automatic, I think I'd go AWOL before I would drive that motorcycle.   

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, hook said:

That's good in theory and as long as you don't use full automatic. But, the way a Thompson pulls to the left on full automatic, I think I'd go AWOL before I would drive that motorcycle.   

Really?, have you ever actually fired a Thompson?  Neither one of the two I had in Viet Nam ever gave me any control problem at all. So smooth on full auto I could hold it with one hand and still control it. It weighed a ton and that heavy bolt acted like a gyro to  stabilize  it.973626723_DizzyfiringhisThompsonattheRockpile.jpg.bc9af9cdac8d11716bd2ee89a3270102.jpg363604301_TheRockpile-Copy(2).jpg.2329b1094fcacd2f2a7b820cfa0e6401.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, hddennis said:

Really?, have you ever actually fired a Thompson?  Neither one of the two I had in Viet Nam ever gave me any control problem at all. So smooth on full auto I could hold it with one hand and still control it. It weighed a ton and that heavy bolt acted like a gyro to  stabilize  it.973626723_DizzyfiringhisThompsonattheRockpile.jpg.bc9af9cdac8d11716bd2ee89a3270102.jpg363604301_TheRockpile-Copy(2).jpg.2329b1094fcacd2f2a7b820cfa0e6401.jpg

Yes

A big old landmark in Boston built around the turn of the century. Wood beams, wood floors, wood inside walls. The arsonist managed to shut down the sprinkler system and set fires in many places. The first time in Boston's history that all but one fire house was called in to help plus more from surrounding communities. It was a cold February night in 1976.  

Plant shoe factory Circa 1900.jpg

(1) Plants Shoe Factory Bickford & Centre St..jpg

(3).jpg

(2) The end of Plants Shoe Factory.jpg

(4).jpg

Edited by hook (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Walt G said:

How sad is that , that building did its job for decades and one thrill for one person took it away from all of us.

I'm not sure what's worse. 

A historic building needlessly going up in flames by some senseless individual, or ones that get left behind and eventually open to the elements and decay.  The Packard plant in Detroit comes to mind, as does several other turn of the 20th Century buildings:  DetroitYES - Fabulous Ruins Table of Contents

Craig

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

I'm not sure what's worse. 

A historic building needlessly going up in flames by some senseless individual, or ones that get left behind and eventually open to the elements and decay.  The Packard plant in Detroit comes to mind, as does several other turn of the 20th Century buildings:  DetroitYES - Fabulous Ruins Table of Contents

Craig

I agree with you. The Plant shoe factory went out of business many years before the fire. But the building was repurposed into many different businesses. The ground floor that bordered Center & Bickford streets were used for retail. It was being well used. So many of the old buildings get tied up in bankruptcies, tax problems and other litigation that by the time they could be reused, they're in such decay and disrepair that it's not worth the investment to save or use.  

HUDSON Team race car that Ira Vail drove in the 1919 INDY 500. It was later owned by H.D. Carpenter in Philadelphia, I have the receipts for racing this car and a 122 MILLER. They would ship the race car by train and rent a truck for transport to the track. Bob 

This car is in the Samsung collection in South Korea, wonder if it may come home due to their search for funds to pay taxes. 

1917-HUDSON-racer-arcd06921-Philly-Free-Library-sm.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 5