Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Limited

Autocrat

Defender

Looking at google images, only the Limited has the double running boards.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 10:30 AM, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

1959 Chevrolet Converetible.jpg

On 5/26/2021 at 10:30 AM, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

1959 Chevrolet Converetible.jpg

The 1E in the license tag indicates it's rental car in Dade County FL (Miami)  This was 1959 and later they changed the

law so that rental cars would not be so easily spotted and victimized.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Although these are not period photos, I believe the car deserves it's placement here in this thread.

Just Gorgeous. 

1929 Peerless 8 125 7 Passenger Sedan

As a side note.

This car was used in the weekly television series "The Untouchables" (1959-1963) as a "Mob" car. 

1929 Peerless 8 125 7 Passenger Sedan.jpg

1929 Peerless Model 8-125.jpg

1929 Peerless 8 125 7 Passenger Sedan - -.jpg

1929 Peerless 8 125 7 Passenger Sedan Rear View.jpg

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The Peerless was restored in Southern Florida, and I had a small part in getting it running. Neat car, very well done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Last fall we had an Autocrat on tour and the only photo I have which shows double running boards is this group shot.  The Autocrat is parked near the center of the line.  Gary

1398967608_DSC_3984(2).thumb.JPG.9c1fe25f9090cba3dba00162ee340814.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Although these are not period photos, I believe the car deserves it's placement here in this thread.

Just Gorgeous. 

1929 Peerless 8 125 7 Passenger Sedan

As a side note.

This car was used in the weekly television series "The Untouchables" (1959 to 1963 )as a "Mob Car".

That is a really nice car that they picked great colors on and then proceeded to crap in their pants when they did the wheels.

The later big Peerless cars are almost never seen.   There are maybe a dozen of them?   Jeff our Peerless guy can give exact numbers.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

That is a really nice car that they picked great colors on and then proceeded to crap in their pants when they did the wheels.

What do you mean?  

The color of the wheels really nicely offset the dark maroon paintwork on the body.

Craig

19 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

What do you mean?  

The color of the wheels really nicely offset the dark maroon paintwork on the body.

Craig

I have three issues:

1.   I hate whitewalls in general,  but especially on a car that had about a 1% chance of wearing them originally.

2.  Wheel color should be darker than body color as a rule.

3.  This wheel color with the whitewalls scream at you and all you see are wheels and no car.

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I have three issues:

1.   I hate whitewalls in general,  but especially on a car that had about a 1% chance of wearing them originally.

3.  This wheel color with the whitewalls scream at you and all you see are wheels and no car.

What 'should be' and what was are two different things.  Generally, if the wheels were a different color than the main body, they would be a contrasting color; in other words, if the car had a dark finish, the wheels would be a lighter finish, and vice versa.  I have some older Studebaker color charts, and the wheels were always a contrasting shade.

I am totally indifferent toward whitewalls on any car.  On this car, it would appear just as good with blackwalls, as it does with whitewalls.

Craig

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

What 'should be' and what was are two different things.  Generally, if the wheels were a different color than the main body, they would be a contrasting color; in other words, if the car had a dark finish, the wheels would be a lighter finish, and vice versa.  I have some older Studebaker color charts, and the wheels were always a contrasting shade.

I am totally indifferent toward whitewalls on any car.  On this car, it would appear just as good with blackwalls, as it does with whitewalls.

Craig

Everybody has different taste.   We can agree to disagree.   In this case, at least two guys in the world love it,   you and other owner.   So right now I'm outnumbered.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I have three issues:

Just because the 1920's & 1930's are most oftened photographed in black and white, does not mean that

color was not popular then.   While the Great Depression is shown in black & white and extra money for flashy

cars was not always possible.   Whitewalls and pin striping gave a little flair to an otherwise hard time.   Color was 

available, as evidenced by seeing the Concourse De Elegance pictures of today's shows.   The car that EdinMass

displayed at Amelia Island was awesome in blues & greys.   However it started out black with a white chassis in

1930.  While that was flashy in 1930, apparently the blues & greys were available then too.

Did you know that even old Henry Ford wrote to his dealers in 1915, saying "Paint the Model T any color the

customer wants, just sell them a car"   Suggested price to repaint the car in 1915 was $20.00.   On a $440.00

car, why wouldn't you choose other than black?  (I did)

It's kind of like going to chruch in a T-Shirt & baseball cap or the bride who got married with her hair in curlers

because she wanted to look good at the reception.

Whitewalls, Pin Stripes, wheel colors and accessories are all part of looking our best.   IMHO.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I have three issues:

Big whitewalls on a car from this era remind me of  "Big White Toilet Seats".  Great if your a plumber by trade :)

Edited by 34LaSalleClubSedan (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

Big whitewalls on a car from this era remind me of  "Big White Toilet Seats".  Great if your a plumber by trade :)

Let's take a vote.

Would you rather clean a toilet, or be continuously on your hands and knees keeping those wide whites spotless prior to every show??!?

Craig

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Just because the 1920's & 1930's are most oftened photographed in black and white, does not mean that

color was not popular then.   While the Great Depression is shown in black & white and extra money for flashy

cars was not always possible.   Whitewalls and pin striping gave a little flair to an otherwise hard time.   Color was 

available, as evidenced by seeing the Concourse De Elegance pictures of today's shows.   The car that EdinMass

displayed at Amelia Island was awesome in blues & greys.   However it started out black with a white chassis in

1930.  While that was flashy in 1930, apparently the blues & greys were available then too.

Did you know that even old Henry Ford wrote to his dealers in 1915, saying "Paint the Model T any color the

customer wants, just sell them a car"   Suggested price to repaint the car in 1915 was $20.00.   On a $440.00

car, why wouldn't you choose other than black?  (I did)

It's kind of like going to chruch in a T-Shirt & baseball cap or the bride who got married with her hair in curlers

because she wanted to look good at the reception.

Whitewalls, Pin Stripes, wheel colors and accessories are all part of looking our best.   IMHO.

Paul,  like I said to Craig, to each his own.

But I want you to compare the tires in the Marlene Dietrich photo of the Rolls with the tires on the Peerless and tell me they are the same.

To each his own so far as choice of "what works" and "what doesn't" . Wheel color will affect the appearance if whitewalls "work" or not. You are dealing with a sphere, that is a bulls eye target, it stops and starts within itself. It is why wheel discs were added with the color of the body or fender , and became popular in the 1930s , at the same time that the wheel size decreased and wire wheels, wood wheels etc were lost in favor of solid pressed steel wheels. It all blended in with the flow of the design of the car which went to the art moderne or "art deco" trend that became popular. 

I do like white wall tires, BUT it depends upon the make and size of the car, also the body style. Don't care for wide whites on smaller size sedans ( especially 2 door sedans , coaches) of the 1925-40 era. , can be ok on the coupes, roadsters etc but most of the time not because the cars are to small the tires to narrow. By 1933 with skirted fenders coming in that changed a bit for the better. Not every bigger car looks good with wide whites but it depends on a lot of factors - rear or side mounted spare tires, tire covers? cloth or painted metal?  To make a blanket statement that all cars look bad or good with or without white walls is perhaps misguided thinking?

The car shown here - Peerless sedan - I like the whitewalls , but it would be good with black walls too . The wheel color should be dark, no matter what color the tire side walls are.
What about blue, red, green walls? Before you smirk - and think they never had them , look at the article I did on that a few years ago , they were available in late 1932. Again I state , it is in my mind wrong to just say all  cars don't look good in white walls , or black walls are the only "authentic" way the cars were , just like it is popular to think that all cars prior to WWII look good with Trippe lights on the front and spotlights mounted at each windshield post.

WG

TIRES5bronzeblue.jpg

TIRES9redmagenta.jpg

• Like 6

Since we're focused on tire sidewall choices, these thin stripe LEE tires strike me a quite subtle but attractive.  Have they been produced in modern collector car tires to anyone's knowledge?   I seem to recall either Goodyear or Goodrich offered this style as well during 1931-'33.

'33 Packard Twelve Dietrich convertible sedan.png

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Friendship, Maine.jpg

This photo reminds me of a once small fishing / farming town near where I lived in my late teens, early 20's. But on the Pacific coast rather than the Atlantic. Ladner B.C. Greatly changed today as it has evolved into a bedroom community for Vancouver B.C.

DELTA THROWBACKS

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Cord.jpg

Well, some people have mentioned the "pie crust" edge style to tires, this has to be the 'crustiest' ever made. Come on everyone - this is authenticity!  Let's stop discussion on wheel color and start talkin about Zip Dang!!!  Note what is says on the windows at the back ground Falls Cords - hey we are lookin at  Cord . Now all we need to hear is Gomer Pyle saying "goll - lee". Automotive history and authenticity at its best......................... ( do any of these tires survive?)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Well, some people have mentioned the "pie crust" edge style to tires, this has to be the 'crustiest' ever made. Come on everyone - this is authenticity!  Let's stop discussion on wheel color and start talkin about Zip Dang!!!  Note what is says on the windows at the back ground Falls Cords - hey we are lookin at  Cord . Now all we need to hear is Gomer Pyle saying "goll - lee". Automotive history and authenticity at its best......................... ( do any of these tires survive?)

Did you just learn something NEW today?

(And note this Cord has lighter colored wheels than the main body color.)

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

Paul,  like I said to Craig, to each his own.

But I want you to compare the tires in the Marlene Dietrich photo of the Rolls with the tires on the Peerless and tell me they are the same.

No they are not the same!   Marlene's car was a mess in general, tires and auto body paint.  The Peerless

was a show car, Marlene's was a used car.

I had a friend with 250 judging credits and a black car with black wheels. black pinstripe and blackwall

tires.   Probably correct in some circles, but not in mine.   It was a boring car purchased new be someone

who wanted basic transportation at a minimal cost.  The guy who had the Peerless was not that kind of

buyer, neither am I.

But you are entitled to whatever floats your boat.  (I don't see many Plain Jane Gar Wood boats either.)

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Finished my thoughts and Spill Checked (see edit history)

9 hours ago, twin6 said:

Another big Olds.  If I recall correctly, the Autocrats and Limiteds had double running boards, but I have no idea how to distinguish one from the other.

flag.jpg

The various model wheelbases varied from year to year the but the Limited was always 14" longer than the Autocrat - due to the extra two cylinders in the engine I guess.

• Thanks 1

A 1920s photo from New Zealand. Looks to be a circa 1926 Chev roadster at far left, and maybe a mid 1920s Vauxhall or Standard at far fight.

Any thoughts on the car on the right? Double bead moulding on the fender - shiny ring on the rear of the drum head lamp - multiple rim clamp bolts. 

old photos Phil Brenchley Gisborne.jpg

old photos Phil Brenchley Gisborne (2).jpg

• Like 3