Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Back in the ancient times in the car hobby, the Northern Illinois region of the CCCA published "The Dashboard" with Purple mimeograph or ditto ink.  For graphic content, they included a glossy 8X10 photo called "Classic Salon".  Here's one with some captioning errors, which you can figure out by clicking on this link that show more pics of this stunning car.  Folklore is the original car is lost but replicas exist. https://www.scale143.com/viewtopic.php?t=12428

1936FigoniDelage_000002.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Looks like these two images were taken at roughly the same location. Amazing how much things changed in a very short period of time, since both appear to be late 1940s.

SHORPY-N4-038A.jpg&ehk=ZcdFMF0434coD%2B2wX1XdYE4KhHPL2PGt6WQesbZ9NUc=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

SHORPY-N4-017A.jpg?itok=_KzYHhuN

I don't understand your point. Both pictures were probably taken on the same day, just farther down the street, maybe a couple blocks. Even the flag on the columned building on the left. And the same overcast cloudy day. So, what changes? 

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jukejunkie1015 said:

Fill er up!

Muller_Bros.jpg

Standard_Station1931.jpg

El_Patio_Auto_Laundry_ca1927.jpg

"Filler UP',  by 1963 when I was a pump jockey, we never had 5 attendents on a car.  However I guess 

we never had a LaSalle come in our station.   We didn't have 5 employees either.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 11:20 AM, John_Mereness said:

COACHBUILD.com • View topic - LeBaron Cord

COACHBUILD.com • View topic - LeBaron Cord

Deco Diva Town Cars – 1917-1948 | Automobile companies, Automotive ...

As a sidenote:  There are motion picture film that briefly features this car out in Los Angeles circa 1938 = a "Mystery Studios" film called "Double Danger" staring Preston Foster, Whitney Bourne, plus Donald Meek and Samuel S. Hinds.   The car appears in the film as a delivery vehicle for a high end Jewelry store (the rear door window is blanked out with the company logo in the window).  In film it has lost it luggage trunk, though now sports Lyon two piece metal spare tire covers and a double pilot ray, as well as double whitewalls.    

I have been trying to find the clip of the film showing the  car in the movie Double Danger.

YouTube had it at one time but now it is gone.

It made a great sedan delivery in the film.

Wish I could find it.

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)

The photo posted on Tuesday by HK500 of the Delage D-6 fastback was taken at the Paris Salon when on display there.  The D-6 I believe was a 6 cylinder car and the D-8 their 8 cylinder car.  There will be a story on the Motor Shows and Salons held in Europe prior to  WWII in issue # 2 of Crankshaft magazine due out next month. It will have many period photographs taken at the shows in London and Paris.

• Like 1

I am 100% sure that one of the forum participants can identify the driver of this Auburn!  This pic came with a stack of A-C-D pics,  my theory is they stopped each car at the ACD parade to take a photo.  Is that right?  What year was this taken does anybody know?

Auburn852Speedster_000004.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 8:34 PM, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

life-magazine_rocket-ship-prize-crowd-1954.jpg

What was the deal here?   Was that model Chrysler so ugly they had to hand out paper bags for the spectators heads?

Or was the thing on the truck so secret that they had to shield the tax payers eyes.

Most of these pictures need some caption please, Dave.

4 hours ago, HK500 said:

I am 100% sure that one of the forum participants can identify the driver of this Auburn!  This pic came with a stack of A-C-D pics,  my theory is they stopped each car at the ACD parade to take a photo.  Is that right?  What year was this taken does anybody know?

My dad circa 1958.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

What was the deal here?   Was that model Chrysler so ugly they had to hand out paper bags for the spectators heads?

Or was the thing on the truck so secret that they had to shield the tax payers eyes.

Most of these pictures need some caption please, Dave.

Paul.

Here is the info.

Great story once you read through it.

I would have loved to be that kid back then.

The SPACEMAN'S TOYCHEST: The Day Ricky Won a Rocket (spacemanstoychest.blogspot.com)

• Like 4

I really don't like drifting the 'photos' thread too much. But some of the history is just too interesting, one way or another. When I first saw the photo in question, I recognized the space ship, but could not off the top of my head have told which of several historic era shows it was from. And I remembered the cardboard helmets! I remember reading the story about the kid and his space ship, was probably that LIFE magazine. It was a long time ago.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 10:23 AM, John_Mereness said:

I swear I saw the "Bevo Boat" as a little kid via one of the many visits to Ted Cull's out on North Main Street in Dayton. OH - Ted had a really nice original 1929 Packard Standard 8 Club Sedan (that he accidentally lost in Kruse Auction shenanigans) and had the customized 1938 Lincoln LeBaron Convertible Sedan (that Ralph Marano bought after I answered a inquiry in Cars & Parts seeking the location of car - I doubt 10 people knew it existed), plus Ted was into V-16 Cadillac's, CCCA parts, and upgraded countless cars for Leo Gephart (Leo's shop was a couple more blocks down the street and we stored cars a couple more blocks from that).  Anyway, I want to say the "Bevo Boat" was ROUGH, ROUGH, ROUGH and sitting in the side yard grass up on blocks and under a tarpaulin.  

1938 Lincoln LeBaron Convertible Sedan commissioned by Lincoln dealer James H. Knox and attributed to Holden ‘Bob’ Koto, Alex Tremulis, & Ralph Roberts.

1938 Lincoln Model K Convertible Sedan Vehicle Profile

I think this Lincoln looks good too.

1935 Lincoln Towncar Model K

1935 Lincoln Towncar Model K.jpg

amel3.jpg

Amelia Earhart arrived unannounced in Harbour Grace, Nfld on May 19th 1932,

SHORPY-8c08858a.jpg

January 1942. "Arecibo, Puerto Rico. A row of station wagons or 'publicos' waiting for loads and passengers."

SHORPY-1353A.jpg

June 28, 1946. "Midtown Motors Ford, 950 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco."

SHORPY-4a27524a.jpg?itok=VgPZaxsh

New York circa 1912. "Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street

SHORPY-1248.jpg?itok=5mTX-ZzI

San Francisco circa 1926. "Dodge ambulance."

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 11:07 AM, HK500 said:

AJ’s dad.......Big Al? If so, that would be before AJ was born.......late 1950’s?

On 12/20/2020 at 11:15 AM, Walt G said:

This photo makes me want to go find some movies like The Thin Man series of the 1930s - the dog looks like Asta of that great group of films .

I like these terriers also.

My wife and I had two.

Here is a period photo of two, Not mine.

Wired hair Fox Terriers.jpg

• Like 3