Spotted a post referencing "Forest Park, 1952" by 

TG57Roadmaster

• TG57Roadmaster
  • Members
  • 4,498 posts

post-87514-0-34345200-1442551589_thumb.jpg.3bdfff500bc7d2b0cf8316c30e62592f.jpg

post-87514-0-74866800-1442552658_thumb.jpg.e50274700d9446198202f1296eb442a3.jpg

post-87514-0-58430300-1442552505_thumb.jpg.b61def2131ccf676dcf4bf2cc6bd197a.jpg

This looks a grand event , wonderful cars , love the speedster / tourer in top photo real class , wish I could go back in time would love to have been there 

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

The two b & w period photographs that my long time friend John submitted were taken at the Paris Salon - the annual motor show that was the inside venue and showcase for motor cars in that country. The majority of the cars at the show all had custom built bodies specifically made for that annual exhibit. The signs were hung over the areas to let viewers know where to head to see their favorite cars. The OMNIA sign notes the leading French car magazine of the era. It was a monthly, had enamel stock pages ( ie glossy face) and contained amazing photographs of the cars on display. Omnia was published from 1920 to 1931 and towards the end of the year had a larger edition that was the "show" number. This was typical of most motoring magazines of the pre war era both in Europe and in the USA. MoToR in the USA had its auto number in January to feature all the new cars. It is unusual to find anyone having any issues of Omnia in the USA - even auto libraries ( unless they have added collections of paper from Europe) The Henry Ford Museum collection has the Omnia issues that were in the library of Henry Austin Clark Jr. but it is not complete.  I would say the majority of current author's of automotive subjects are not familiar with this periodical. Two people who frequently contribute to the AACA forums and more specifically this thread have a fairly substantial quantity .  One collection is nearly complete for all issues.

Walt

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 9:00 PM, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

I have been trying to find the clip of the film showing the  car in the movie Double Danger.

YouTube had it at one time but now it is gone.

It made a great sedan delivery in the film.

Wish I could find it.

I wonder if we are thinking of the same movie?  The one I've seen a couple of times (can not remember the movie name) shows a short clip of a L-29 Cord "Town Car Delivery" for a high end jewelry store.  The Cord even has a pair of Pilot-Ray lights on it.  One of the few back-in-the-day instances where you see a car running them.

Capt. Harley😉

Skirts are for women not car fenders! 

13 minutes ago, Captain Harley said:

I wonder if we are thinking of the same movie?  The one I've seen a couple of times (can not remember the movie name) shows a short clip of a L-29 Cord "Town Car Delivery" for a high end jewelry store.  The Cord even has a pair of Pilot-Ray lights on it.  One of the few back-in-the-day instances where you see a car running them.

Capt. Harley😉

Skirts are for women not car fenders! 

Oops!.....  I didn't read the whole statement at the bottom of the pictures before I commented

Before & After. Something for all of you who aren't attending the Amelia concours to focus on. The unrestored car is in a garage in Flushing , N.Y. in the 1940s, the family home of Henry Austin Clark Sr. and his family . His son HAC Jr. dragged this home much to the dismay of his father. The other photo is of the same car when it was restored was taken in the early 1970s at the very latest. location is Glen Cove, N.Y . on the lawn of HAC Jr.'s house in Meadow Spring ( name of a community of about a dozen homes)  Car is a 1901 Columbia Mark VIII gasoline runabout. I had some great rides with Austin in that Columbia , defoliated a few trees when it was misfiring at one point in time.

To many stories, to many photographs , lots of great memories.

COLUMBIA1901HACgarageFlushing1948.jpg

COlumbia1901GlenCoveca1970.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Can someone tell me the name of these headlights? Maybe a brief history.

I can never remember the name of them, if it was an option etc.

I think they were called Woodlites?

Howard Dennis

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

They are Woodlite headlights.

Woodlight.jpg

Edited by jukejunkie1015 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2021 at 1:54 AM, nzcarnerd said:

This one makes frequent appearances on facebook.  There are those who think it is photoshopped but I think it is for real.

Location the end of the St Angelo bridge in Rome looking towards the Castel Sant'Angelo. We were driven across that bridge on our Rome city bus tour in 2014. It is only a short distance from St Peters.

old photos Sophia Brett Forester.jpg

Twin Eyes.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 12:29 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Same with the people...

Some people lose their memory at 80 to 90 years of age; which was unheard of in cars that are now the same age as they never had an on-board memory.

In today's new cars which have memories for the keyless entry, alarm, audio, seat position, et al; will they still be able to retain it 80 to 90 years from now??!?

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Very popular accessory found on many cars. Here's a 1930 Franklin. I've never witnessed their use and don't know how much better, if any, they were over the original headlights.

1930 Franklin with Woodlites getting gas.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Some people lose their memory at 80 to 90 years of age; which was unheard of in cars that are now the same age as they never had an on-board memory.

In today's new cars which have memories for the keyless entry, alarm, audio, seat position, et al; will they still be able to retain it 80 to 90 years from now??!?

Craig

Good thought but, since I'm closer to 80 than I am to 70............................I'll never know!!!!!!

7 hours ago, hook said:

Very popular accessory found on many cars. Here's a 1930 Franklin. I've never witnessed their use and don't know how much better, if any, they were over the original headlights.

1930 Franklin with Woodlites getting gas.jpg

Note the cowl light.

A mini.

DSC_0331.JPG

R50c74a3704c42097cb3428dd85b5e269.jpg

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Reportedly, Woodlites offered poor illumination

29_Cord_2.jpg

I know nothing about this period of Automobile. I have read a few posts where guys say something like 'looks nice except the woodlites', which I dont understand. I think these are one of the coolest looking auto accessories one can get.

I was on a tour at night and a car had the Woodlites on it. Great looking light, I agree. So far as being to see anything with the light they cast - well - you get more illumination when you press the button on your wristwatch to see what time it is. I have found that Marchal lights and Grebel lights are fairly decent for after dark illumination.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How well did those E & J headlights with the magnifying lens illuminate that have the shape of a stuff olive?

Walt, Is that Franklin with the Woodlites a Sport Salon?   The top and windshield looks low enough to have been.

Edited by 58L-Y8
E & J not F & J (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

How well did those F & J headlights with the magnifying lens illuminate that have the shape of a stuff olive?

Walt, Is that Franklin with the Woodlites a Sport Salon?   The top and windshield looks low enough to have been.

The E&J is just as bad.  There was a Halogen conversion kit for them that I bought.  I assume there will be an LED one soon if not already.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 8:53 PM, dibarlaw said:

Bucket :

I don't think the shoes are that dirty. They look to be SUMMER SHOES. Fine mesh sides to ward off the summer heat on the feet. I had several pairs untill they dissapeared from the Tom-McKan shoe stores in the early 1970s.

I do not know the location. Wish I did, as it is a great main street scene.

The Franklin with the Woodlites is most likely a club sedan . Interesting it also has the parking lights on the top of the fenders made by the same company. Most likely this sedan was sold by one of the string of dealerships owned by Ralph Hamlin if the photo was taken in southern California.  Hamlin was very successful and also on the dealership committee of owners that would see the Los Angeles auto shows and custom body salon take place each year. He even issued his own Dealer's newsletter that he send to Franklin owners titled The Franklin Camel News.

Walt

• Like 4

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

The E&J is just as bad.  There was a Halogen conversion kit for them that I bought.  I assume there will be an LED one soon if not already.

An E&J as used on an EMF.

Craig

10_EMF_2.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Walt G said:

I was on a tour at night and a car had the Woodlites on it. Great looking light, I agree. So far as being to see anything with the light they cast - well - you get more illumination when you press the button on your wristwatch to see what time it is. I have found that Marchal lights and Grebel lights are fairly decent for after dark illumination.

Walt, when I got the Franklin Club Sedan I have now, the previous owner had, had the headlight reflectors chrome plated. Well, they were beautiful to look at, and when they were on, they were beautiful to look at.................. But, you couldn't read your watch with the light they cast if your arm was touching the headlight lens. I didn't know that until the first night I got caught out in it. Thank goodness I had just install a pair of Trippe lights. Now things are all better with them re-silvered.

Bill

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)
  • Like 2