Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Thank you, Wayne and Craig, for your input about this car.  A photo of this car is on a wall in the Minnesota Discovery Center, located at Chisholm, Minnesota.  Chisholm is in northern Minnesota about 100 miles from the border with Canada.  That area of Minnesota is home to the Chippewa (aka Ojibwe) native American tribe.  The people in the automobile appear to be a mixture of European-Americans and possible native Americans.  It is an interesting photo.  Considering the apparent vintage of the automobile and the relative remoteness of the Chisholm area in those days, simply getting the car to Chisholm would be a story by itself.

DSC01309.JPG

Dave, thank you for posting the Indy 500 pace car photos.  Have any of these pace cars survived with the official pace car logo / information remaining today?  Or was the pace car information removed later and the car returned to "just another car" status?

Regarding this '33 Chrysler.  Nice wide whites, and very excellent side mounts.  And the two-piece industrial grade windshield is a plus.  I don't have any phobias about white walls and side mounts.  But the chrome plated louver doors, IMHO, are a distraction.  My '32 Chevrolet had chrome louvers as well and I never liked that.  Wire wheels would have looked much better on this pace car.

33 Chrysler Imperial (Phaeton).jpg

• Thanks 1

Hook, this magnified image of the wheel/tire is really interesting.  Ignoring the abundance of lugs and/or lug nuts, in a way the "tire" portion resembles a modern day "recap" hull.  It resembles a recap thrown off a semi-truck's tire.  Looking more closely at the interface of the possible recap with a rim-mounted tire, there appears to be a number of arched or semi-circular devices that hold or mate the recap to the tire.  After recognizing the possibility that this is indeed an recap device held to an underlying tire, the entire tire/wheel makes sense.  The appearance of 16 supposed lug nuts may not be true.  There may be 8 lug nuts that secure an adapter plate to truck's wheel flange, and then another 8 lug nuts that hold the recap tire/wheel components that clamp to the tire (or blown / defective tire).

1243189516_Only8lugs.jpg.1f5a147cdf34d98daa518f81f0bad79a.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 1:32 PM, Cadillac Fan said:

Yes, this is the same car. The tan version (complete with vinyl upholstery) is how the car looked after Daleiden's body shop of Kalamazoo,  MI finished it for Donald Gilmore in the 1960s. The photo in greenish gray is how the car looks today following Mr. Gilmore's grandson's re-restoration to modern standards. The car is a centerpiece of the Gilmore Car Museum's permanent collection. 

31 minutes ago, ericmac said:

Yes, this is the same car. The tan version (complete with vinyl upholstery) is how the car looked after Daleiden's body shop of Kalamazoo,  MI finished it for Donald Gilmore in the 1960s. The photo in greenish gray is how the car looks today following Mr. Gilmore's grandson's re-restoration to modern standards. The car is a centerpiece of the Gilmore Car Museum's permanent collection. 

But is the Gilmore car the same as the period photo?

9 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Dave, thank you for posting the Indy 500 pace car photos.  Have any of these pace cars survived with the official pace car logo / information remaining today?  Or was the pace car information removed later and the car returned to "just another car" status?

Regarding this '33 Chrysler.  Nice wide whites, and very excellent side mounts.  And the two-piece industrial grade windshield is a plus.  I don't have any phobias about white walls and side mounts.  But the chrome plated louver doors, IMHO, are a distraction.  My '32 Chevrolet had chrome louvers as well and I never liked that.  Wire wheels would have looked much better on this pace car.

33 Chrysler Imperial (Phaeton).jpg

They look like chrome artillery wheels but it is quite possible they are painted.  I’ve never seen a CL with steel artillery wheels, never mind chrome ones.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BucketofBolts said:

GM had an option to have artillery wheels chromed in 1933. I assume that Chrysler did the same. 

Would love to see paperwork or photos of this. The shape and size make chroming a artillery wheel ALMOST impossible.......and the time required to set up the wheel just to attempt to throw nickel would take hours for each wheel. Every artillery wheel I have ever seen that was “chrome” were actually stainless steel. They were popular on a very select few high end cars from 1931-1932. They were made by Budd Wheel Corporation, and thus far I have only seen them on Pierce Arrow and Studebaker......which were both the same company at the time, and using the same hub and lug pattern............the actual wheels and flanges were different in each year and series. It was a rather strange look.......and I like it. Many do not. The Chrysler pace car was obviously a special......and shouldn’t be taken as “approved” or “available” special options.........I’m certain they are stainless. I am looking forward to the 1933 GM stuff............it should prove to be interesting automotive archeology.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Would love to see paperwork or photos of this. The shape and size make chroming a artillery wheel ALMOST impossible.......and the time required to set up the wheel just to attempt to throw nickel would take hours for each wheel. Every artillery wheel I have ever seen that was “chrome” were actually stainless steel. They were popular on a very select few high end cars from 1931-1932. They were made by Budd Wheel Corporation, and thus far I have only seen them on Pierce Arrow and Studebaker......which were both the same company at the time, and using the same hub and lug pattern............the actual wheels and flanges were different in each year and series. It was a rather strange look.......and I like it. Many do not. The Chrysler pace car was obviously a special......and shouldn’t be taken as “approved” or “available” special options.........I’m certain they are stainless. I am looking forward to the 1933 GM stuff............it should prove to be interesting automotive archeology.

I had never given much thought to the finish on those 'shiny' artillery wheels that Pierce and Stude used.

I may have posted these before.

This is a car that was supplied new by Tourist Motors in NZ to a local tobacco magnate - 1935?

The second photo is from when it was owned by author Maurice Hendry in the early 1960s. I believe Maurice is still with us but whether he is in any state to tell about the Piece wheels I don't know.

Pierce-Arrow for Husheer -TouristMotors-1-800x523-1.jpg

34 Pierce-Arrow ex Gerhard Hussheer then Maurice Hendry fb 210819.jpg

This 2013 Flickr photo of the same car in the Southward Museum doesn't really give a clue to the finish on the wheels.

Web capture_3-6-2021_03048_www.flickr.com.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Hook, this magnified image of the wheel/tire is really interesting.  Ignoring the abundance of lugs and/or lug nuts, in a way the "tire" portion resembles a modern day "recap" hull.  It resembles a recap thrown off a semi-truck's tire.  Looking more closely at the interface of the possible recap with a rim-mounted tire, there appears to be a number of arched or semi-circular devices that hold or mate the recap to the tire.  After recognizing the possibility that this is indeed an recap device held to an underlying tire, the entire tire/wheel makes sense.  The appearance of 16 supposed lug nuts may not be true.  There may be 8 lug nuts that secure an adapter plate to truck's wheel flange, and then another 8 lug nuts that hold the recap tire/wheel components that clamp to the tire (or blown / defective tire).

1243189516_Only8lugs.jpg.1f5a147cdf34d98daa518f81f0bad79a.jpg

You really are trying to over think this picture. It's dried mud/dirt on the tire, forget about your complicated retread theory and semi-circular devices. As far as the outer 8 bumps on the rim, they are probably the location of the bolts on the reverse side of a split rim. 

Great looking wheels on the Pierce-Arrow, and the louvres on the side of the bonnet are very nice (thankfully not chrome plated).  Unfortunately the headlights in the fenders are there to mar the overall beauty of the look.  I understand that England forbade the in-fender lights on the Pierce-Arrow, and that such cars imported to England needed to have headlights mounted separate from fender architecture.  Was England's requirement in this regard not required in New Zealand, or did the requirement change before this Pierce-Arrow was imported?

2098531401_Pierce-ArrowforHusheer-TouristMotors-1-800x523-1.jpg.bfdd73a2d42b25c0cb32bfb5f41fd19b.jpg

Bracket headlights were an option on Pierce Arrows and were installed due to customer preference.  There were no laws which banned them in the United States, although that rumor has been told so many times it’s sometimes taken for fact.

I’ve never heard that a foreign country banned fender headlights.  Does anyone have documentation of this, such as a copy of a law or some official document?

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

Bracket headlights were an option on Pierce Arrows and were installed due to customer preference.  There were no laws which banned them in the United States, although that rumor has been told so many times it’s sometimes taken for fact.

I’ve never heard that a foreign country banned fender headlights.  Does anyone have documentation of this, such as a copy of a law or some official document?

The Parts Catalog might also mention the 'export' parts as a footnote.

Craig

On 5/29/2021 at 9:01 PM, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

I absolute find this artwork astounding and had to post it.

I believe  it meets the theme of this thread.

The artist who did this work made no attempt to hide the fact that this car is a 1938 Buick.

Great artwork for the cover of the comic book "The Shadow".

Love this piece.

1938 Buick - The Shadow -  Comic Book Cover Artwork (4).jpg

My Shadow named after the comic book character

53703438_10157318768982189_1426062161704124416_n.jpg.04fe1389efdd243971c80ef58e190dea.jpg

• Like 3

So, one can not assume anything about this photo. I’m certain it’s not factory wheel covers, trunk rack, artillery wheels, and running board treatment. I’m guessing it may have been imported in pieces unassembled to save on import costs. The current photos i have of the car don’t indicate they are anything special. I am suspicious that the wheels are not chrome......but aluminum paint. 

37749FFD-CDD5-42A9-BE6B-660FAC1BC23B.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1