Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 5/23/2021 at 5:12 AM, hook said:

Very popular accessory found on many cars. Here's a 1930 Franklin. I've never witnessed their use and don't know how much better, if any, they were over the original headlights.

1930 Franklin with Woodlites getting gas.jpg

Thanks for posting a photo of them NOT on a Ruxton. 

I think the rumor has finally been quashed over the years, but at one point, many, (including myself back in the '60's) thought they were exclusive to Ruxton, just as many thought the Wagner 'No-Rol' (Hill Holder) was exclusive to Studebaker.   Woodlites were all one ever saw on Ruxtons, and must have had their own Ruxton part number.  The top fin of the Woodlites on this Ruxton in the ACD museum are a match for the fin on the radiator cap.

12acd016.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Of all the art work that Cadillac put out, this one is my favorite.

1953 Eldorado. 

1953 Cadillac Eldorado Print Ad.jpg

Like it too, wonder if the pseudo British ‘Tally Ho ‘uniform is there to highlight the class look of caddy 😁

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 9:34 PM, Captain Harley said:

Dave, It is for the 1928 Chevrolet.  The 1929 motto was:  "The Outstanding Chevrolet of Chevrolet History".

Capt. Harley😉

Skirts are for women not car fenders!

The Peacock advertising, and the motto "The most beautiful Chevrolet" was used for the 1927 models.

ae50304c13e6b56fe11d9ade3cb9a2e2.jpg

Edited by BRB62
repeated comments, was supposed to be a reply to earlier post (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Photo of the Alfa Romeo with the guy holding the sheet up behind it was taken in London. The sheet would give a blank back ground for the photo to be used in a magazine. This was especially done in London before the annual Motor shows held at the Imperial Palace and "Ally Pally" Alexandria Palace . If you look in the annual show numbers of the magazines Autocar and Motor you will see photographs of the cars with no back ground, that is how this was accomplished - the back ground was not air brushed out - they also did it in the exhibition hall so the focus would be on the particular car and not see a distracting busy field of other displays , signs etc.

I have hundreds of pre war motor show and salon photographs that have this feature. It was mostly only done in London - Paris, Brussels and Berlin did not photograph cars that way.

Walt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2021 at 5:43 PM, alsancle said:

The E&J is just as bad.  There was a Halogen conversion kit for them that I bought.  I assume there will be an LED one soon if not already.

Aj, both Woodlites and E&J lights are as bright as your charming personality............but I shouldn’t always give you a hard time, even though you deserve it. Your wonderful wife and very well raised children do earn a tip of my hat in admiration............you have a wonderful family, and decent taste in cars........especially when you listen to my advice. Fortunately, I don’t plan on driving your Stutz (with original installed E&J lamps at night.). How are we doing on my tubes?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2021 at 12:41 PM, twin6 said:

A big Olds outside the Cliff House, San Francisco.

Cliff House.jpg

That’s not a big Olds......that’s a Limited. It defines BIG. Then, and now. Great shot. An identical car was sold new in my hometown of Ludlow Massachuetts. It was driven by a engineer who acted as chauffeur......his grandson is a good friend of mine, and has a bunch of photos of the car back in the day, but they don’t want them published unfortunately.

UPDATE- it could also be a mid sized Olds Autocrat...........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, raybelf said:

The Oldsmobile looks more like a 1912 Olds Autocrat 7 passenger rather then a Limited, based on the length of the hood

The double running board makes it a Limited? No?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobinVirginia said:

I like it whatever that big thing is!!! 

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

The double running board makes it a Limited? No?

Not necessarily. I would have to look up the models to refresh my memory. Been a long time since I have seen or talked with anyone that had one. However a good friend of mine fifty some years ago was a good friend of Wayne Weathers that had one of the largest Oldsmobiles ever built! I met him several times, and saw his Oldsmobile up close on several occasions. I think his was a 1914. (Sometime I should tell the story of the nasty accident he had with that car, well enough known it can be told, and a good story! (He told me the story himself.))

Oldsmobile had at least three large model cars during years between 1910 and 1915, given names like "Autocrat" and "Limited". For several of those years, the two largest models both had double running boards! I am fairly certain the pictured car is not the largest model, likely the middle size car. (I don't offhand recall the name for it?)

Also about thirty years ago, I visited an antique auto repair shop that was working on one of the middle size Oldsmobile cars (a 1912 or 1913 if I recall correctly?). So I got up very close to it and its double running boards! Standing next to that brass era monster and knowing it wasn't the BIG one was quite a feeling! Standing next to it, you know that one actually needed the two sets of running boards to climb into that thing. Having been next to the one thirty years ago, and seeing this picture now, the two cars look nearly identical.

Having stood next to both the middle size car thirty years ago, and Wayne Weathers' 1914 only a few years before? Wayne Weathers' car was considerably larger.

All that off the top of my head.