Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Tasted Moxie?  Annually at Hershey, a good fellow in our local WNY AACA region brings a supply from his junkets to Maine to share with anyone who dares try a sip.  Moxie is an acquired taste, the popularity of the word has long outlived its national popularity.  Just a regional soda pop brand now, though I had and rather liked Goslings Ginger Beer (Since 1806) bottled in Worcester, MA. on a trip to the Berkshires.

12 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Tasted Moxie?  Annually at Hershey, a good fellow in our local WNY AACA region brings a supply from his junkets to Maine to share with anyone who dares try a sip.  Moxie is an acquired taste, the popularity of the word has long outlived its national popularity.  Just a regional soda pop brand now, though I had and rather liked Goslings Ginger Beer (Since 1806) bottled in Worcester, MA. on a trip to the Berkshires.

First tasted it decades ago, still drinking it.  Bill is a good friend who does his best to get folks to at least try it.  Yes, an acquired taste for sure!

• Like 1

From the 1908 Glidden tour there are several great photos of "The Chairman" - a paper prop displaying Moxie - appearing in vehicles.  Must have been an inside joke at the time, now long lost in the mists of history.

1908 Glidden Moxie chmn 20633.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I have the acquired taste, wish it was sold someplace near long island. I tried to look that up once and the closest place was near MaCungie, Pa.!

Walt, Stop by Hershey Chocolate Field South C21 spaces 80-85, across and offset the broad avenue from Coker Tire.  Can't miss it, Bill puts up big orange Moxie banners on the tent.

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

There are some die hard Moxie drinkers contributing to this thread.  Here are some enthusiasts years ago, great advertising.

Moxie.jpg

Several of the moxie cars survive. The one below is at Clark's Trading Post in Lincoln, New Hampshire. 

NHLINmoxie_lg.jpg.ce9be64008b86a19e39acf9065b6fb1d.jpg

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

I have the acquired taste, wish it was sold someplace near long island. I tried to look that up once and the closest place was near MaCungie, Pa.!

I never thought I’d find Moxie lovers here! Did you know Moxie is owned by the Coca Cola Company? It’s presently produced in three places, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and the state of Washington. They even make diet Moxie.

I personally watched them tear down the Moxie building on the corner of Bickford and Heath streets back in 1954/55. The walls on that building (the large part) were over three foot of brick.

Please go to the following website and learn all about it.

http://www.moxiecongress.org   

moxiecongress.org.png

• Like 2

14906a.jpg?itok=zkmtacD7

A Pope-Waverley electric auto, Washington, D.C., circa 1905.

1a34797u.jpg?itok=NjZix2hg

12377a.jpg?itok=bDyFCBjE

Washington Truck Parade Pennsylvania Avenue on "Motor Transportation Day," Washington, D.C. June 28, 1919.

25885a.jpg

U.S. Treasury Building Fifteenth Street, Washington, D.C. circa 1938.

20509a.jpg?itok=w9XO46hh

1914 Marmon "48" touring car at the Washington Monument, circa 1914.

• Like 5

One just does not realize how impressive some of these cars really were! When a good friend's 1915 Marmon custom roadster's restoration was finished, they had me sit in the car sitting as naturally as I would, hands on the steering wheel. Then they got a tape measure and measured from my nose to the Motometer. Looking at that Marmon touring above, may give some idea how large that car was. It was nine feet from my nose, to the Motometer!

The wheel base of a model T Ford is 100 inches.

• Like 1