Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

BUICK? With 1919 MASS LICENSE PLATE

The man in the middle reminds me of the repentant alcoholic in the Movie "Hang 'Em High" (1968) with Clint Eastwood.

BUICK 1919 MASS LICENSE PLATE.jpg

A 1919-'21 Studebaker Special Six Model EH

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Queen Elizabeth II' Rolls Royce during her Visit To Melbourne in 1954. 

Visit To Melbourne of Queen Elizabeth II during 1954. Rolls Royce.jpg

Are you sure about the date?

As far as I know a small fleet of Daimlers was used for the royal tour of Australia and New Zealand in 1953-54, six in NZ and four in Australia.

5 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Are you sure about the date?

As far as I know a small fleet of Daimlers was used for the royal tour of Australia and New Zealand in 1953-54, six in NZ and four in Australia.

Is that even an Australian license plate?

Craig

12 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Is that even an Australian license plate?

Craig

I found this pic on the net - definitely a Rolls - but is it 1954? The photo is from a 'members only site', the Herald Sun. I snuck the photo off the google page but couldn't access the info.

See the source image

Here is one that say it is 1954 and it is one of Daimlers that were built in 1946-37 for the tour by George VI that didn't happen due to his health.

[Royal visit. Queen Elizabeth II, Melbourne 1954] [picture] , State Library of Victoria (slv.vic.gov.au)

a41541.jpg

1954 again, with the Daimler landaulet, a Humber Imperial, two Humber Super Snips and two Daimler Conquests.

See the source image

Posed with Flying Cloud and Wolverine automobiles from the Winthrop Motor Co., Reo distributors, are the Maylon Players theatrical troupe. They are enjoying a sunny July day in 1928 at Point Defiance Park. The actors presented plays for appreciative Tacoma audiences including "Rain" and "Naomi of the North."

Kurt M.

Tacoma, WA

download.png

• Like 2

History Motor Car Mysteries, form all over the world, just what this thread was created for. It makes you think about the cars, the people, the places, the architecture and the answers are not always at the press of a plastic button on a keyboard that is hooked up to a box of electronics. 🧐

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

SHORPY_12860a.jpg

Army Dually U.S. Army General John J. Pershing's car and driver in 1918 in Washington, D.C.

Reportedly two were built.  One survives in the Bacon collection in Minden NV and is occasionally run on the Modoc Tour.  Has FOUR spare wheels: two as sidemounts plus two on the rear.  I remember when this car was parked as an attraction outside a dive in SF in the early to mid-1960s.

• Like 7

What is the story about the front wheel in the photo?  Aren't those protrusions on the inside of the wheel fellow valves to fill the tube with air?  Why are there ten of them when one should suffice?

Who is the native American?  I have not yet been able to discover his name.  He certainly is decked out in his finest wear; great feather bonnet.  He appears to be either Hunkpapa or Ogallala Sioux.  He appears to be the same man as in the 1899 studio photo.

1915.jpg.9c2e85e1cefa1415ab6a58f2e7ceb52b.jpg

1899.jpg

2 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

What is the story about the front wheel in the photo?  Aren't those protrusions on the inside of the wheel fellow valves to fill the tube with air?  Why are there ten of them when one should suffice?

Not valve stems, they are part of a system that was to keep the inner tube from slipping on the rim.  Here they are on a 1905 White steamer.

1905 E.jpg

• Like 1

A period photo from facebook. Apparently the driver is the grandfather of the fb poster and the photo was taken in Illinois.

Car identity unknown - It looks to have 'knobs' on the hood to prevent the lifted side from flopping over.

old photos MelodyMike Smith gf in Illinois.jpg

Another period one from facebook. Taken in Nevada in 1917.

Varun reckons Cadillac but I disagree, although I don't know what it is.

Posted to look as if it has right hand drive - 

20s auto nevada 17 Jim Divoky.jpg

- but maybe really has left hand drive??

20s auto nevada 17 Jim Divoky (2).jpg

Christchurch, New Zealand, 1952.  The Waltham Road over bridge - it is still there but much updated. I think the road surface was in the midst of an upgrade when this photo was taken.

It was a time when there were still post war shortages - especially of new cars, although due to the demand for wool brought on by the Korean War there were more cars imported in 1952 than in the year before and after. Licences to import relied heavily on the country's balance of payments at the time.

Taxis were all black - the closest one is a Vauxhall Model LIP Velox and the other is a '39 Oldsmobile. 1939 was the last year that Oldsmobiles were sold new in NZ. A total of 98 were imported and sold over the period 1939-40, most would have been the low price Series 60. In the 1950s NZ's car imports were mostly from Britain.

Most importantly many people still relied on bicycles to get around town.

waltham rd.jpg

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

A period photo from facebook. Apparently the driver is the grandfather of the fb poster and the photo was taken in Illinois.

Car identity unknown - It looks to have 'knobs' on the hood to prevent the lifted side from flopping over.

old photos MelodyMike Smith gf in Illinois.jpg

Not quite enough of the car and detail to be sure? But I would guess a 'barrel hood' Franklin from about 1906 to 1910. Some of them had the hood hinged that way so the entire barrel hood and front screen lifts up and gets propped up to service the engine.