Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

The roadster is a 1929 series 645 and has a Rollston body, not the factory catalog coachwork.  History of the Rollston/Rollson Company is in issue #1 of the new Crankshaft magazine and shows this car as well as many other cars that have the bodies built by that company that was located on the west side of New York City . It's final location was at 601 West 47th Street, the same building today is home to Toyota of Manhattan. Rudy Creteur who was the head of Rollston was a great guy, excellent memory of what he built and for who in the pre war era. He and Austin Clark and I used to go out to lunch on a regular basis - oh the stories that Rudy could tell about some of the customers !  Priceless.

My first thought when I saw the picture was that it was this car.

29-Packard-645-Deluxe8_DV-15-PBC_t011-800.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, md murray said:

I'm always fascinated by the old photos of the early club meets in the 1940's and 50's. Young men wearing a tie and jacket on a weekend for a vintage car club outing seems other worldly but it was only a generation ago.

There is a nice video here of the 1962 AACA meet, where one also sees the same.  It was in the late 1960's when much of the younger people decided to 'dress down' for school, and other not-so-formal events which didn't enforce a dress code.

Craig

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Thanks.   I would assume dad in the middle.

Maybe Dad's dad was tall?

My ex-wife's father was only about 5' 8' but his two sons are both 6' 6" plus. Their grandfather, born 1907, was very tall - about 6 3". 

• Like 1

On July 4, 1921, at 2:30 in the afternoon, the flag dropped starting the 10th annual Tacoma Speedway Classic. Nine drivers had entered the 250 mile race. It was driven on Tacoma's infamous board track and had a purse of $25,000, to be divided nine ways. On the right is the pace car, a Marmon Speedster, carrying referee Eddie Rickenbacker and pace maker Ray Harroun. The car would pace the drivers for one lap before the race actually took off. Rickenbacker was a former star of the race track and a famous ace of the air and Harroun was also a veteran driver. Harroun was a last minute replacement for Louis Chevrolet. The car on the left of the pace car is #6, the Duesenberg driven by Roscoe Sarles. Sarles had earned the pole position by driving at the top speed of 101 mph during the trials. The race was won by favorite Tommy Milton. Milton broke all speed records for distance with his average speed of 98 mph.

race.png

• Like 3

On 4/25/2020 at 11:32 AM, Gary_Ash said:

The giant wooden model of the 1931 Studebaker roadster.  It lasted for many years but eventually was burned by the company as it got too outdated.  Also, a modern Zippy cartoon of the car. from December 2004.  There is a video available of the Studebaker band playing music from the car, though I can't find it today.

31giant_roadster_sm.thumb.jpg.777245b2dcfea5e90d03c78509107a95.jpg

Zippy_31Stude_122204_color.gif.eaf2ecf6e75df25f22323bc9d96ad8fc.gif

As consolation, here is one old video of the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3muLAOy_lDk.

19 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Please enlighten as to why this car would be an embarrassment today?  I admit to not recognizing it.  Thsnk you.

The car as pictured is pure awesomeness.   But if it was restored anytime between 1965 and 1995 it would look like this.

CircusWagon.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

The car as pictured is pure awesomeness.   But if it was restored anytime between 1965 and 1995 it would look like this.

CircusWagon.jpg

I don't get it yet. I think it is a nice looking Olds.

2 hours ago, GARY F said:

I don't get it yet. I think it is a nice looking Olds.

It is.   My point was you can't find that car anymore.   It was restored out of existence in the 70s and 80s.

I think I'm going to start a thread challenge for someone to find me a picture of basically the same car but taken now.

In addition to the after market enhancements put on this fine motor car, what is with the tires?  The tread pattern is U.S. military, as seen on Jeeps and up to 1 1/2 ton utility vehicles.  We had an old Army ambulance having tires with that very same U.S. government approved, military tread pattern.

CircusWagon.jpg.fc1a182ef49a67e88b4c95a8b91c9ae7.jpg

On 4/12/2021 at 6:57 PM, LCK81403 said:

Lots of red 47 Olds, but there are others.

47 Oldsmobile 98 convert.jpg

47 Oldsmobile 98 Custom Cruiser.jpg

47 Oldsmobile convert.jpg

47 Oldsmobile Series 88 convert.jpg

The Blue was the same color that my fathers 1948 2dr was. He sold it to my grandfather who had it until about 1960. I vaguely remember riding in it with him driving. By then the Blue had faded and dulled. It did have red wheels.

One of my first attempts at buying an older car back in 1971 was in the form of a 1947 Olds 98 convertible stored in a garage not run for over 14 years. Owned by a local old car collector who had old cars stored all over various properties around Monongahela PA. It was a medium green metalic, low miles under 35,000.  Hydramatic with the same fender skirts, leather, power windows, nice untorn black top. Also.... 4 flat tires. My father liked it because he was always an Oldsmobile man. But he thought the $800 the collector wanted for the not running car was outrageous!

I would like to know where all these cars ended up..

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

In addition to the after market enhancements put on this fine motor car, what is with the tires?  The tread pattern is U.S. military, as seen on Jeeps and up to 1 1/2 ton utility vehicles.  We had an old Army ambulance having tires with that very same U.S. government approved, military tread pattern.

CircusWagon.jpg.fc1a182ef49a67e88b4c95a8b91c9ae7.jpg

Is it possible that the photo was taken in the Philippines?  A lot of material was left there after WWII.