Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

ca. 1906. A small crowd scattered on the sidewalk pauses to admire a fleet of new Fords lined up outside the Washington Automobile Co., 710-12 Pacific Ave., circa 1906. The Washington Automobile Co. was the first car dealership in Tacoma.

Kurt M.

Tacoma WA

download (1).png

download (2).png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, alsancle said:

DoodleBug.jpg

This is how millions of young people started out in the car hobby back in the day......an off brand doodlebug.

• Like 1

The Car and Mascot are obvious.  The location isn't readily identifiable to me.  Google of Thames and Paris bridges don't come up with matches, and the photo hasn't been on Google either. My guess is the UK based on the mascot and possible source of the photo. 

BugattiType55_000155.jpg

• Like 5

This looks to me like the Duesenberg Weymann Tapertail J437.   Based on where the photo was found and the Kodak Velox paper, likely taken at some car meet in the 1950's.  Auburn maybe?   You know, that car probably didn't get much attention, they had to add a big arrow stripe along the body accent line to make it stand out a little more !

DuesenbergSpeedster_000154.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HK500 said:

The Car and Mascot are obvious.  The location isn't readily identifiable to me.  Google of Thames and Paris bridges don't come up with matches, and the photo hasn't been on Google either. My guess is the UK based on the mascot and possible source of the photo. 

Looks like Putney Bridge A316 into London to me it’s just before Chelsea , just a guess it is similar 

13 hours ago, HK500 said:

BugattiType55_000155.jpg

I agree it's probably in the UK but Putney Bridge doesn't have semi-circular "bastions" between the arches. It certainly looks familiar though.

• Like 2

This is two pages from a 1921 catalog that is 15 pages long and issued by Disteel "the safe wheel" . The wheels were made by the Detroit Pressed Steel Company, and as can be seen from the list were available for many makes of cars. The main claim by the company was the safety of a steel wheel over a wood spoke wheel and examples were shown of how a wood wheel would collapse and break apart in an encounter with an object . I thought it would be interesting to not only see the photos but also the list of cars.

Disteelwheel1922TWO.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2021 at 6:34 PM, HK500 said:

This looks to me like the Duesenberg Weymann Tapertail J437.   Based on where the photo was found and the Kodak Velox paper, likely taken at some car meet in the 1950's.  Auburn maybe?   You know, that car probably didn't get much attention, they had to add a big arrow stripe along the body accent line to make it stand out a little more !

DuesenbergSpeedster_000154.jpg

"A former owner in the early Fifties tried out a novel decorating scheme on this car. The cutaway fenders were an even earlier redo".

• Like 1

Walt, thank you for the advertisement page for the Disteel wheels.  The idea of a steel wheel versus a wood spoke wheel was not new in the 1920s.  A November 1, 1907 article (page 228) in the Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal provided information about the Indestructible Steel Wheel Company, of Chicago.  The article mentioned that a Premier roadster automobile was driven on a promotional trip through Indiana, Ohio and Michigan demonstrating the new open pattern of their steel wheel.  The article said that many factories placed orders for the wheels for their 1908 output of cars.  The inference is that the Indestructible Wheel Company had already be in production of a solid steel version of their wheel since because open pattern was new.

Advertising for the Indestructible Steel Wheel shows a small car with the steel wheels going down a steep ramp, launching and flipping in the air to presumably safely land.  The demonstration vehicle was called "The Somersault Automobile."

Another steel wheel manufacturer was Gler-Lewis, who advertised their wheel in The Automobile, February 2, 1922, page 216.  I have no photographs actually showing Indestructible Steel Wheels nor Gler-Lewis metal disk wheels on any cars.  I do have a number of photos of the Disteel wheels.

Indestructible Steel Wheel 02.JPG

Indestructible Steel Wheel 05.JPG

Indestructible Steel Wheel 03.JPG

Gler-Lewis metal disk wheel The Automobile 2-2-1922 P216.JPG

• Like 1

I'm as interested in the backgrounds as I am in the cars themselves.  It would be nice if the posters would include location information, if known, so that we could all check the accuracy of our guesses.  Keep up the good work.

This is a V.E.C. electric bus built in Brooklyn, NY by the Vehicle Equipment Company , location is south east of Penn Station in New York CIty at the Flat Iron Building on 5th Avenue.

Second photo is circa 1926 of a Panhard with torpedo body by Belvalette

Third photo is a Hispano Suiza Torpedo Grand Tourisme by coach builder Alin Liautard also circa 1926

VECelectricBUS ca1905inNYC.jpg

PANHARDca1926.jpg

HISPANOsuiza1926maybe.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

This is a V.E.C. electric bus built in Brooklyn, NY by the Vehicle Equipment Company , location is south east of Penn Station in New York CIty at the Flat Iron Building on 5th Avenue.

Second photo is circa 1926 of a Panhard with torpedo body by Belvalette

Third photo is a Hispano Suiza Torpedo Grand Tourisme by coach builder Alin Liautard also circa 1926

VECelectricBUS ca1905inNYC.jpg

PANHARDca1926.jpg

HISPANOsuiza1926maybe.jpg

It's a good thing that that bus has solid rubber tires!.......and then there's stopping it, or should I say trying to stop it.

24 minutes ago, Ben P. said:

I was looking for pictures of 19 ‘teens camping furniture when I ran across these photographs on this strange but delightful website⬇️
https://sausageheavenoutdoors.com/vintage-arrowhead/

(I’m bewildered by the guy’s use of the word ‘wold’. It’s no typo - he uses it repeatedly. It’s not Swedish or German. What the H is a wold?)

DC68B384-296A-4E3B-B5C2-C503D3C1C6D1.jpeg.f0f1a42085956762555d27c3c2f70827.jpeg

0966253F-395C-4ECA-87F8-6EA4341F9A99.jpeg.ea93ef82e8d45617fc4427dd20839a50.jpeg

I don't understand. The photo says Timber Wolf, not Wold. However, according to Wikipedia the word wold is explained as:

The name Wold is derived from the Old English wald meaning "forest", (cognate of German Wald, but unrelated to English "wood", which has a different origin).[1] Wold is an Anglian form of the word, as in other parts of England, different variations can be found.[3]

Over the years the meaning has changed from "forest" to "open high ground". Wold originally would have applied to high forest land. However when the forest was cleared, it is probable that the original name survived. This was particularly true in the Cotswolds, the Lincolnshire Wolds and also the Yorkshire Wolds.[1] 

I just couldn't resist looking it up

• Like 1

The sight seeing bus was electric powered and probably was not designed to go fast so people could linger looking at what was on view, also if power from the batteries was cut down or off the weight of the vehicle and passengers would have slowed it down ( kinda like letting up your finger pressure on an electric, battery powered drill) Steering that huge machine was what makes me think that it must have been very interesting to accomplish, even with the paved city streets. the rear wheel seems to have a bit behind it that probably was a disc that was part of the braking system.  Someplace a ladder was stored to let people climb up into and down from their seats.

Interesting to note that only perhaps two people are not wearing hats or caps. Everyone had high button collars and the women there had to be careful not to show an ankle getting in or out as that would have been just to much "flash".

13 minutes ago, Walt G said:

The sight seeing bus was electric powered and probably was not designed to go fast so people could linger looking at what was on view, also if power from the batteries was cut down or off the weight of the vehicle and passengers would have slowed it down ( kinda like letting up your finger pressure on an electric, battery powered drill) Steering that huge machine was what makes me think that it must have been very interesting to accomplish, even with the paved city streets. the rear wheel seems to have a bit behind it that probably was a disc that was part of the braking system.  Someplace a ladder was stored to let people climb up into and down from their seats.

Interesting to note that only perhaps two people are not wearing hats or caps. Everyone had high button collars and the women there had to be careful not to show an ankle getting in or out as that would have been just to much "flash".

Walt, I can't see the ladies of the times climbing a ladder to get in/on the bus. I'm sure they had an emergency ladder, but my theory is there must have been a platform at the sight seeing base headquarters. After all it's just not lady like to climb a ladder in public, not to mention someone touching them for support! That would have been worse than showing ankle. haha

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, J. Hawkins said:

J-???

x1931_12_02_The_Chicago_tribune_and_the_Daily_news__New_York_Retronews[1]-1.jpg

Sadovich was a very active dealer of Duesenbergs in Paris. He always made sure as many cars as possible got good press coverage in all the car periodicals in France such as La Carrossiere, Omnia , La Vie Automobile , Le Equipment . Not sure what connection he had developed with the A-C- D Company in Indiana , but it obviously was a good one and he was well known by coach builders in both France and England. I believe he even had a sales piece published in France on Duesenberg specifically. I have seen it and may even have one here someplace.  Sadovich would also make sure that there was a Duesenberg at the annual Salon in Paris and the concours in Monte Carlo and near Paris. The cars received good press at these highly acclaimed social events for the rich and famous and wannabes.

Walt

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This old, yellow newspaper was too big to scan, but it's an interesting piece about the opening of Packards In Hollywood, 6660 Sunset Blvd, Douglas Longyear's Packard Dealership.  As you'll see if you click on this VERY detailed link, it went on to be WH Collins Packard, and then Howard Buick, and then a mini-mall. https://jhgraham.com/2020/12/13/6660-sunset-longyear-packard-howard-motor-co-buick/   I think the Southern California CCCA magazine "The Sidemount Mirror"  published something on this topic also.

PackardsInHollywood3.JPG

PackardsInHollywood2.JPG

PackardsInHollywood1.jpg

• Like 4