Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

38 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

169230024_10159665169632189_6828046564080132295_n.jpg

The woman is supposed to be actress Marion Davies.  She was 5' 5" tall and here is wearing heels which might perhaps make her as much as 5' 8".

Is a '29 Cadillac really that tall?

Does someone perhaps have a contemporary photo of one with a person of known height, or know exactly how far it is to the top of the windshield?

• Like 2

Quote from Walt G. “This whole thread to me is about making you think , observe ...................... yes, the historian and former teacher in me is still very much active and well , even on the annual country wide "bunny" day.”

I guess the teacher in you is going to have to give us all an ‘F’ or maybe a ‘D-“ because you are easy and we think you are such a good teacher! 
dave s 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

OK guys, it has been 23 hours since I contributed the image of the 1933 Ford in France , and no one has mentioned the headlamps - look inside past the lens on the car, does it look different? Stop gazing at your Easter basket 🤪 and tell me what is different? Are they stock Ford factory headlamps? are they European? or are they a combination of both?

This whole thread to me is about making you think , observe ...................... yes, the historian and former teacher in me is still very much active and well , even on the annual country wide "bunny" day.

Well, you got me to go back and look closer at that detail. But that is what I tend to do with era photographs, study details, try to understand what is going on in the photo. I want to feel the car, what it has gone though up to that moment in time. I want know how the people feel, their hardships, their sacrifices, and their victories no matter how small. 

It is how I try to understand the past at the level I try to. I believe that everyone would be better doing the same thing. Human beings are seriously flawed in that they cannot see into the future. It is only by really looking at the past, understanding what made people and society really work, that we can understand how to keep it working into the future. Nearly all the mistakes we may be considering today have been made in the past. Understanding that, and really looking at the past and paying attention to how those mistakes worked out (or didn't?) is the best way to know what we should be doing today, for a better tomorrow.

I won't (at least not yet) reveal some of what I see in that photo. Given its timeframe and the 'where' in which it was taken, I find it very interesting. The 1930s are not one of my favorite eras. Although they are an era that we today should be looking at very closely! I much more enjoy looking at photos in the decades preceding 1930. I can spend hours visiting within those black and whites.

I will comment on the headlamps. And yes I did notice them the first time I looked at it when it was posted. Although I have always had a great deal of interest in European and British automobiles from those eras, I haven't had many opportunities to work or play with the cars myself. I have seen some European and/or British cars with headlamps similar to those. I do not know what they are called, with their mostly clear lenses, and the inside lamp somewhat different than what was common in the USA those days. I would imagine those lamps were installed in Europe for the European market. Quite a striking photo! Who today wouldn't love to have that car just as it was when the photo was taken? Even I would love it! Actually, with its European touches? I would really love it!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

166941214_10159665194157189_2150675734430984313_n.jpg

165901638_10159665184912189_4825436116806546846_n.jpg

167882924_10159665188867189_2910330725158889437_n.jpg

167777142_10159665191012189_8878710726514726255_n.jpg

VanVooren 500K Mercedes.   This car still exists but has not been seen in years.   I think it could be a Pebble Beach winners circle car.

15 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Sunroof Cord 

167437784_10159665191577189_377134462121113094_n.jpg

Rollson did a few sun roof conversions on 812 Cords.   There was an unrestored one for sale at Hershey in the last 10 or 15 years.

Jim Davis owns one his dad bought in the 50s.   Have not heard from Jim in years but he was active on the Hamb.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

The woman is supposed to be actress Marion Davies.  She was 5' 5" tall and here is wearing heels which might perhaps make her as much as 5' 8".

Is a '29 Cadillac really that tall?

Does someone perhaps have a contemporary photo of one with a person of known height, or know exactly how far it is to the top of the windshield?

OK let's use some Sherlock Holmes on this subject. 1, it's a 29 with most likely 700-19 tires. Maybe bigger, but we'll go with that. The OD on a 700-19 is 33.5 to 34" in diameter making the center of the wheel approx. 17" from the ground. 2, notice that the center of the wheels are just about inline with the running board. That's a big step for anyone. This was normal up to 1929, then in 1930 and beyond they started to lower the running boards to less than the center of the wheels even though a lot of big cars still used 19" wheels. So yes, a 29 Cadillac is that big. What's your take on my theory Walt?

Bill 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

165867787_10159665195792189_7687814935556229493_n.jpg

Is this a Biddle?  The photo is an obviously posed publicity image of a child actor cranking his expensive touring.   Did you ever notice the similarity of the V-wind-split headlights and radiator of the Biddle and the 1932-'34 Packards?

Walt: The French 1933 Ford appeared to have Marchal headlights, difficult to tell for sure from the angle.

Edited by 58L-Y8
Note for Walt Gosden (see edit history)

Bill, to much thought at this time of the day right now , and I have to put thoughts on hold until I get a pile of original , period pre war Lincoln photos and images pulled out, sorted, scanned , saved etc to go into issue #2 of Crankshaft magazine. Than finish up a story for Pete Phillips for the BCA, and can't neglect Jeryl and Alex for Air Cooled News. Then there is the next show that my co host and good buddy John S. and I are working on to tape for 4 Village Studio here in Floral Park I need to get out  some props for .

So I thought I retired a decade ago? Yikes.........

• Like 2

Politics and religion are taboo, Walt, but I'm hoping you or someone can tell me what a top like this was called back in the day.  I don't recall ever seeing anything like it.  Kind of a jack-in-the-box arrangement.

Boston Catholic.jpg

T dog.jpg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Walt G said:

OK guys, it has been 23 hours since I contributed the image of the 1933 Ford in France , and no one has mentioned the headlamps - look inside past the lens on the car, does it look different? Stop gazing at your Easter basket 🤪 and tell me what is different? Are they stock Ford factory headlamps? are they European? or are they a combination of both?

This whole thread to me is about making you think , observe ...................... yes, the historian and former teacher in me is still very much active and well , even on the annual country wide "bunny" day.

Walt.......what's a Ford? 🤔

Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes. 

I have seen that "flip top" type of body on similar style vans of that same era but never in a sales or promotion piece in anything  by any body builder nor commercial periodical that focused on trucks. No specific name either . It seems to have been around in the 1913-1919 era, none before or after that time that I can recall an image of.
The bulldog on the hood of the model T racer looks great, need one of those looking like that at Hershey! Nice period accessory!

Ford - well it means Fantastic Overbuilt Reworked Duesenberg , Ed, thought you knew that , A.J. told me he reminds you of that all the time!

On 4/3/2021 at 2:36 PM, Walt G said:

One additional Ford of France image and I will be done for a few days , have to look some Lincoln stuff up to possibly go with a story a friend did for the 100th anniversary of that make. Happy Easter everyone.

FORDFrance193001.jpg

Obviously a photoshopped ad with a driverless flying 33 Ford Roadster 

with a young woman waving to the people below.   They also photo           

deleted the convex headlight lenses, left door handle and slanted

the left side windshield stantion to denote speed.  (Also common in

advertising with artists renditions of automobiles of the period)

My 2 cents worth.

Interesting comments Paul, thank you. I think cut and past and air brush were the way photos were "enhanced" in that era, photoshopped is a modern equivalent with the modern technology now available in the last 30-40 years, My thought was that the guts ( reflectors etc) of the Ford lamps were replaced with units from Marchal, the European lamp manufacturer/supplier. The laws in Europe for lighting were not the same as the USA. thus larger fender mounted lamps ( what we would deem parking lamps) were required in addition to the headlamps and most of the period photos I have seen for all cars had different interior equipment in the headlamps if the USA shells were used. Most of the time the entire light was replaced - it was just easier to do.

On 4/4/2021 at 12:25 PM, Colin Spong said:

1928 Lincoln L with  unknown French coachwork. Suggestions are Binder, Franay or Saoutchik. The licence plate can be dated to Paris, 1928.

The car has a full set of Grebel lamps and disc wheels (Michelin?) The photo was found by me at a Paris flea market.

French 1 001 (2).jpg

French 2 001 (2).jpg

That highly polished belt molding was a Fernandez & Darrin trademark wasn't it? 

d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

Interesting comments Paul, thank you. I think cut and past and air brush were the way photos were "enhanced" in that era, photoshopped is a modern equivalent with the modern technology now available in the last 30-40 years, My thought was that the guts ( reflectors etc) of the Ford lamps were replaced with units from Marchal, the European lamp manufacturer/supplier. The laws in Europe for lighting were not the same as the USA. thus larger fender mounted lamps ( what we would deem parking lamps) were required in addition to the headlamps and most of the period photos I have seen for all cars had different interior equipment in the headlamps if the USA shells were used. Most of the time the entire light was replaced - it was just easier to do.

I believe Lucas also had a headlight assembly with a flat glass outer lens which protected the silver reflector, with an inner diffusing lens immediately ahead of the bulb, (although I can't really see Lucas being sourced for a French-market car.)  A forerunner to the later Lucas P-100 headlamp assemblies?

Craig

8 hours ago, Walt G said:

I have seen that "flip top" type of body on similar style vans of that same era but never in a sales or promotion piece in anything  by any body builder nor commercial periodical that focused on trucks. No specific name either . It seems to have been around in the 1913-1919 era, none before or after that time that I can recall an image of.
The bulldog on the hood of the model T racer looks great, need one of those looking like that at Hershey! Nice period accessory!

Ford - well it means Fantastic Overbuilt Reworked Duesenberg , Ed, thought you knew that , A.J. told me he reminds you of that all the time!

I thought it stood for Fix I Again Tony !

Sorry, a bit of 'King of the Hill' humor

16 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Is this a Biddle?  The photo is an obviously posed publicity image of a child actor cranking his expensive touring.   Did you ever notice the similarity of the V-wind-split headlights and radiator of the Biddle and the 1932-'34 Packards?

Walt: The French 1933 Ford appeared to have Marchal headlights, difficult to tell for sure from the angle.

It's a Meteor (Philadelphia).