Jump to content

Period images to relieve some of the stress


Walt G

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Tph479 said:

My friend Jim took the picture when he owned it. Picture was in frame when he gave it to me. Before arriving in Chicago the car came of of Ireland and was owned by a man named Desmond Fitzgerald. In later years this car was painted bright red and given whitewalls and chrome wires wheels.




Jim Debikero?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, alsancle said:




Jim Debikero?

yes. He gave me some old pictures over the weekend. Incredible cars and stories. He told me how he raced his 540 k special roadster against the Model J 437 Weymann tapertail in the early 1960's on a country road. Said the engine sounds and exhaust notes that the cars made under full throttle is a sound you never forget. He later bought the tapertail for $20k..... It is interesting seeing amazing cars and hearing how the cars were driven and enjoyed when they were just used up old cars.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Can you identify the car, seen through the tree branches?  I can't begin to guesstimate what it is. 

 

10 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

 

Home place - Copy.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Just not enough detail to identify that one. The lighting is bad, appears to be snow on the running board. Tree branches in the way. Cannot tell for sure what the suspension is? Car appears to have side curtains on it, and a front bumper? (But could be the tree branches?) Body is not a typical model T. It could possibly be an after-market body (it looks something like an after-market roadster body that ABC Body company and a couple others made for the model T?) The rear trunk area does not look typical either. It may have been built up with a utility box of some sort?

Interesting car though. 

And I love that steam engine!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Folks,

 

Some pages back earlier on there was a string on the "Brooklands Track'. You may be interested that the track is now an industrial estate with only a very small part of the banking and the Club House retained.  In 2017 after they moved the Bellman Hangar and completed the factory car parks I took the photo below of what remains of the main straight. Some other photos on https://www.svvs.org/brooklands17.shtml  

 

Regards 

Vintman(UK)

www.svvs.org

 

The new view of the Finishing Straight and Members Banking in the distance with the Bellman Hangar gone. Rest is now car park for industrial units and normally packed with cars.1336556185_Brooklandsmainstraightnow.jpg.6bdc4218bdf0da6ef9994eaeea3ca9f2.jpg

Edited by Vintman (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Tph479 said:

yes. He gave me some old pictures over the weekend. Incredible cars and stories. He told me how he raced his 540 k special roadster against the Model J 437 Weymann tapertail in the early 1960's on a country road. Said the engine sounds and exhaust notes that the cars made under full throttle is a sound you never forget. He later bought the tapertail for $20k..... It is interesting seeing amazing cars and hearing how the cars were driven and enjoyed when they were just used up old cars.

Any period photos of his ownership of the Duesenberg J 437 Weymann 'taper-tail' among those photos?  We'd love to see them!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Vintman said:

Hi Folks,

 

Some pages back earlier on there was a string on the "Brooklands Track'. You may be interested that the track is now an industrial estate with only a very small part of the banking and the Club House retained.  In 2007 after they moved the Bellman Hangar and completed the factory car parks I took the photo below of what remains of the main straight. Some other photos on https://www.svvs.org/brooklands17.shtml  

 

Regards 

Vintman(UK)

www.svvs.org

 

The new view of the Finishing Straight and Members Banking in the distance with the Bellman Hangar gone. Rest is now car park for industrial units and normally packed with cars.1336556185_Brooklandsmainstraightnow.jpg.6bdc4218bdf0da6ef9994eaeea3ca9f2.jpg

I had a Norton flat tank that was purported to be a Brooklands racer, even had the funky exhaust!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is the story about the wheels / hubs of this Cadillac with the three well dressed men?  Looking at period photos of the same year and year-class of Cads, I see wood wheels, wire wheels, hub covers, and a more modern pressed steel wheel with a hub cover.  Back to basics, which wheel or wheels did Cadillac actually produce and roll out the factory door?  Which wheels are after market types, and are after-market wheel considered to be true to the make of car?  Presumably all of these six attached photos show 1934 Cadillacs.  Sometimes on the internet sites the year-date ascribed to a vehicle is not correct and my apologies in advance if there are errors.

34 Cadillac V-16 - Copy.jpg

34 Cadillac V16 Limo shopped.jpg

34 Cadillac Rdstr.jpg

34 Cadillac V-16 Limousine Town Car 01-14.jpg

34 Cadillac coupe.jpg

34 LaSalle Club Sedan.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Hubcaps on the top V16 are correct.   I think the later series V16 like that car had full steel wheels.

 

The town car which is actually a cut down limo is an earlier series 34 which had spokes with a wheel cover.

 

3r car is a 34 Lasalle which is very cool.

 

Last car is a 835 Reo Royale Victoria with painted wood spoke wheels.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

The Hubcaps on the top V16 are correct.   I think the later series V16 like that car had full steel wheels.

 

The town car which is actually a cut down limo is an earlier series 34 which had spokes with a wheel cover.

 

3r car is a 34 Lasalle which is very cool.

 

Last car is a 835 Reo Royale Victoria with painted wood spoke wheels.

3rd car is a 35 LaSalle with the split windshield. 34 had bi-plane bumpers and a flat windshield. Common mistake. They look almost the same otherwise. 35 dash is not as fancy as 34. Also, 34 had a Fleetwood body, and I think 35 Fisher.

Edited by 34LaSalleClubSedan (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you saying 3rd car down from top or after the pic with the 3 guys?  Car with girl has flat windshield, car with red mini car next to it has split windshield. So depending on how you’re counting pics you can both be correct, I think. But what the heck I don’t know any of this stuff but sure enjoy the pics and info. What’s the white car with two ladies? 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, You think you want a car phone. Just wait a few decades and you can slip one in your pocket and carry luggage in your trunk 

car phone 1.jpg

1961 Cherry blossom parade in Washington, DC. 

scan0015.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Are you saying 3rd car down from top or after the pic with the 3 guys?  Car with girl has flat windshield, car with red mini car next to it has split windshield. So depending on how you’re counting pics you can both be correct, I think. But what the heck I don’t know any of this stuff but sure enjoy the pics and info. What’s the white car with two ladies? 
dave s 

 

'Car with girl' is an Auburn.

 

3 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Are you saying 3rd car down from top or after the pic with the 3 guys?  Car with girl has flat windshield, car with red mini car next to it has split windshield. So depending on how you’re counting pics you can both be correct, I think. But what the heck I don’t know any of this stuff but sure enjoy the pics and info. What’s the white car with two ladies? 
dave s 

 

The white car with two ladies - actually three -  is a '35 LaSalle.

 

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

The Hubcaps on the top V16 are correct.   I think the later series V16 like that car had full steel wheels.

 

The town car which is actually a cut down limo is an earlier series 34 which had spokes with a wheel cover.

 

3r car is a 34 Lasalle which is very cool.

 

Last car is a 835 Reo Royale Victoria with painted wood spoke wheels.

 

Counting the first photo - V16 and three guys - as the first photo, the third car is an Auburn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

 

'Car with girl' is an Auburn.

 

 

The white car with two ladies - actually three -  is a '35 LaSalle.

 

 

Counting the first photo - V16 and three guys - as the first photo, the third car is an Auburn.

 

Sorry, I did skip over the Auburn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Any period photos of his ownership of the Duesenberg J 437 Weymann 'taper-tail' among those photos?  We'd love to see them!

In a race down a straight line I think I would take the Duesenberg....but then again I could have fun with either one of them.

36415277-D7A5-4D7E-AF3D-92639BC8C4BF.png

26CF8536-0820-45B6-94DF-7E5DFB13CE00.jpeg

Just beat up old race cars. Do you think that the cars had ashtrays?

ADA0D1B5-1639-4EC7-AD53-88293FB8D79C.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having run a Duesenberg J up against a blower Mercedes, it’s no contest..............the J eats the car with a star every time. Been there, done that. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

In a race down a straight line I think I would take the Duesenberg....but then again I could have fun with either one of them.

36415277-D7A5-4D7E-AF3D-92639BC8C4BF.png

26CF8536-0820-45B6-94DF-7E5DFB13CE00.jpeg

Just beat up old race cars. Do you think that the cars had ashtrays?

ADA0D1B5-1639-4EC7-AD53-88293FB8D79C.jpeg

 

About twenty years ago an acquaintance ran his Bugatti Type 35B in a local flying quarter mile event on a narrow bumpy country road. It recorded 128 mph. Not bad for a car of that age with only 2.3 litres, supercharged of course.

 

At the same event he also had his Jaguar D-type - a car which was sold just recently. On the same piece of road the Jag went 144 mph.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

Could you image being dropped off to t-ball practice  in this?

AE53AE14-D3AE-46AD-AADC-FBD927E1FFB2.jpeg


 

I have been lucky enough to beat the snot out of one of these...............wasn’t impressed. And it was the special with the neat carb set up. Actually ran it against a 120 Jag. Pasadena hasn’t been the same since. Going through the In and Out Burger, Priceless!  We were going “animal style”!  🤫

Such is the insane world I live in.

 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:


 

I have been lucky enough to beat the snot out of one of these...............wasn’t impressed. And it was the special with the neat carb set up. Actually ran it against a 120 Jag. Pasadena hasn’t been the same since. Going through the In and Out Burger, Priceless! 
 

Such is the insane world I live in.

I understand that this was a total rattle box. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How shall I explain it..............my neighbor down here has one. I call it his bread delivery truck. It really pisses him off. I was driving a good one, that was properly dialed in. Except for the thrill of pounding a machine that cost twenty times my net worth..........not much to report. I kept thinking the last five owners never spun it faster than 1500 rpm. Well, I can report it turned a lot faster than I expected...........but didn’t make any power worth remembering. I’ll never look at one again the same way.........It’s a Briggs and Stratton with fancy tin.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure you guys are all familiar with the famous Lake Muroc match race between Phil Berg's Duesenberg and Zeppo Marx's Mercedes S.  Both cars are still around.   

 

In order for the Mercedes to keep up with the Duesenberg,  the blower was engaged the whole time and it is not designed to run like that.   So,  the Mercedes got out in the lead on the first lap,  but a couple laps latter the Duesenberg passed it and that was that.   Lots of excuses if you are a Mercedes guy like me.

 

 

MurocMatchRace.jpg

PhilBerg-Muroc-Duesenberg.jpg

The_Los_Angeles_Times_Sun__Oct_2__1932_.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I was driving.........it wouldn't have been close. Look at the two power plants.............420cid and 265 hp, and the star car is 180 with the blower.........110 without? And a much smaller displacement on a heavy chassis also.  I don't think the Mercedes ever had a chance. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, edinmass said:

If I was driving.........it wouldn't have been close. Look at the two power plants.............420cid and 265 hp, and the star car is 180 with the blower.........110 without? And a much smaller displacement on a heavy chassis also.  I don't think the Mercedes ever had a chance. 

 

 

Eddy,  don't confuse a 540K with a 327 cubic inch engine and 115/180 HP with the 29-32 Mercedes SS which has more cubic inches than a J (433) and around 225HP.

 

The Mercedes was successfully raced and an apples to apples race between an SS Mercedes and a Model J Duesenberg would be more competitive than you think.

 

If you want to go SSJ with the Duesenberg than a SSKL Mercedes is a full blown race car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, edinmass said:

Having run a Duesenberg J up against a blower Mercedes, it’s no contest..............the J eats the car with a star every time. Been there, done that. 

I wish I could remember where I read it, Ed you may very well have more info.  Back in the day, I dont think it was Groucho, may have been one of his brothers, had a Duesenburg as well as other celebrity's at the time. The blip I read was about the Marx fellow and 'street' racing, said they would strip everything that wasnt needed off the car, fenders and such, then run the heck out of them. It may have been some one like Clark Gable they were racing. I really wish I knew where I read that, it was quite interesting.

UM!!! Senior Moment. SORRY Alsancle, I saw the post about Ed racing a MB, and somehow didnt see your post at all. Im a bit late to this one. Thanks for posting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2021 at 3:47 PM, Tph479 said:

My friend Jim took the picture when he owned it. Picture was in frame when he gave it to me. Before arriving in Chicago the car came of of Ireland and was owned by a man named Desmond Fitzgerald. In later years this car was painted bright red and given whitewalls and chrome wires wheels.

 

I was talking about Jim Debickero several weeks ago. We were all wondering about his health, or even if he was still with us. The discussion we had about him revolved around a 1937 SS-100 that he bought in Minneapolis around 1962. The car recently resurfaced and its very interesting history was revealed.

Here's the car when my dad had it, and the last photo is just before restoration started ab out a year ago.

 

 

IMG_3399.jpg

7991915.jpg

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Manufactured on May 1, 1937, registered FMT 984 and finished in black with red upholstery, chassis 18093 was despatched from Jaguar to Halls Car Sales in London’s Great Portland Street, via Henlys. Although there is no record of the original owner, the history file shows a photograph of the car at a Swiss petrol station in August 1939, which was taken by the motor racing photographer Robert Fellowes. Fellowes was travelling with the owner, said to be a Cambridge student called Monday, to photograph the 1939 Swiss Grand Prix (a walkover by the German Mercedes team, pursued by Auto Union).

Less than a year after the photograph was taken, Fellowes joined the Artists Rifles. He had reached the rank of Acting Captain when he was badly injured at El Alamein, losing one leg and the other left in bad shape. Although he seemed to recover well, even acting as a liaison officer for a propaganda film, he was to lose his life as a result of sand entering his lungs during the injury.

 

Author Chris Nixon has published a book of Fellowes’ photographs covering the Grand Prix from 1934 until 1939, based on the archives now owned by Neil Corner. An earlier book, published in period, was penned by Rodney Walkerley. Virtually nothing is known of the car’s activities, although the black-and-white photograph in Switzerland is as evocative as it is fascinating. Surrounded by locals and off-duty soldiers, the men look on while a lady pumps fuel into the SS. Could the owner be standing by the car? Why is there a spanner located in the passenger door? A reoccurring problem, maybe. There’s a leather bonnet strap, and the name Little Audrey along the bonnet. Little Audrey has long since gone, as has the multitude of car badges, with the exception of two Union Jack ones (at the edge of the louvres). By September, war was declared and the SS 100 went into hiding once back in England.

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 7.58.10 PM.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, West Peterson said:

 

I was talking about Jim Debickero several weeks ago. We were all wondering about his health, or even if he was still with us. The discussion we had about him revolved around a 1937 SS-100 that he bought in Minneapolis around 1962. The car recently resurfaced and its very interesting history was revealed.

Here's the car when my dad had it, and the last photo is just before restoration started ab out a year ago.

 

Jim has good taste in cars, didn't he?

 

Tim Heywood who frequents the forum still sees Jim once in a while so he is still with us.  

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

 

I was talking about Jim Debickero several weeks ago. We were all wondering about his health, or even if he was still with us. The discussion we had about him revolved around a 1937 SS-100 that he bought in Minneapolis around 1962. The car recently resurfaced and its very interesting history was revealed.

Here's the car when my dad had it, and the last photo is just before restoration started ab out a year ago.

 

 

IMG_3399.jpg

7991915.jpg

 

Yes, he is in excellent shape. He lives near me and was hanging out with me last night when I was working in the garage.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

Yes, he is in excellent shape. He lives near me and was hanging out with me last night when I was working in the garage.  


Tim,  thanks.  I fixed my post above.   I was getting you and Tim Martin mixed up.   You are both Packard guys and both named Tim.   Too much for my feeble mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...