Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Ford sold model Ts as chassis only, either with or without front fenders.

Note in the Ford dealer picture below, three bare chassis parked in the street! This particular dealer (I do not know anything about them beyond this photo!) may have had a good local customer or body builder providing bodies for specific or various local needs.

Photo had been shared on the MTFCA forum.

Forddealers19.jpg

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Did Henry ever sell his Model T (cars, not TT trucks) as "chassis only" to aftermarket body builders such as these?

Or were Model T passenger cars only sold complete, and left up to the aftermarket coachbuilder to remove and either discard, or reuse parts from the original body?

Craig

According to The Standard Catalog, in 1924 when the T runabout was at its lowest price of $260, a chassis could be bought for $225. Ford apparently sold quite a few thousand each year. 

There have been several photos of cars with aftermarket disc wheels posted here recently. This one for the 'Homecoming Parade in the town of Jasper, Alabama in 1923' was posted on a facebook page today.

Going by the sign on the front of the car it is a Buick, although the lights don't look right. As the Buick is a 1924 model it has to be quite late in 1923.

May be an image of standing and outdoors

Edit - I did these as two separate posts but the programme apparently thinks they should be posted together - which I disagree with.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, J. Hawkins said:

Panhard pretended to be Duesenberg🤭.

tmp-cam-3372510484272767477.jpg

Panhard made some incredibly beautiful automobiles in the 1930-39 era. The Dynamic was particularly  swoopy just like in the USA the Chrysler and DeSoto Airflows ere. The larger Panahrds of the pre WWII era are really unknown in the USA as they had no import dealer as far as I am aware of in the USA or perhaps north America. Yes - I have a good source and quantity of period images on them too.

• Like 1

There was a four-door Panhard Dynamic in the Portland Art Museum in 2018 at the 'Shape of Speed' exhibit.   

And I believe 'SebastienBuick' who regularly posts photos of local car shows in his native France has shown some Dynamics.

Craig

39_Panhard.jpg

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

According to The Standard Catalog, in 1924 when the T runabout was at its lowest price of $260, a chassis could be bought for $225. Ford apparently sold quite a few thousand each year. 

There have been several photos of cars with aftermarket disc wheels posted here recently. This one for the 'Homecoming Parade in the town of Jasper, Alabama in 1923' was posted on a facebook page today.

Going by the sign on the front of the car it is a Buick, although the lights don't look right. As the Buick is a 1924 model it has to be quite late in 1923.

May be an image of standing and outdoors

Edit - I did these as two separate posts but the programme apparently thinks they should be posted together - which I disagree with.

nzcarnerd:

I love the photo as it shows the 1924 Model 49 7 passenger touring with Tuarc disk wheels.

• Like 1

Just look at the signage behind the touring car and all the kids and their bicycles. All of that was hand painted /lettered or carved and mounted. No neon, or adhesive backed paste on anything for advertising.  That is what I find so fascinating with these photographs, what is beyond the cars, attached to decorative poles, wrought iron hardware to hang things from etc. None of it created electronically . It speaks of an era that we no longer can embrace. An era of non instant.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

Just look at the signage behind the touring car and all the kids and their bicycles. All of that was hand painted /lettered or carved and mounted. No neon, or adhesive backed paste on anything for advertising.  That is what I find so fascinating with these photographs, what is beyond the cars, attached to decorative poles, wrought iron hardware to hang things from etc. None of it created electronically . It speaks of an era that we no longer can embrace. An era of non instant.

One no longer sees those crank-operated storefront awnings anymore.   

Today, its heavy roll shutters that are substantially well built, completely covering the windows and front door after hours.

Craig

On 4/9/2021 at 2:15 PM, Captain Harley said:

A '29 Packard 640 roadster with a running board spotlight.  Instead of the stock factory supplied CM Hall spotlight mounted on the left windshield stanchion bracket.

There is something about running board spotlights that just get to me!🤩  I've got two of them:  one in my bedroom and one in the living room.🤪  The car and the light are just pure class!

Agree, Very elegant Car !

19 hours ago, twin6 said:

Not sure this was sold as chassis only.  More likely a car stripped down and made into a speedster (a very light speedster).

T stripped.jpg

What's a period photo? This was taken over fifty years ago. Not a speedster but a fun time tryout Model A before throwing the body back on.

-.jpg

• Like 1

The video titled........"The world's most stylish Cadillac." Either they are blind, retarded, or selling the car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A photo of a mystery steamer ? was posted earlier.  Is there something on the car that shows it is a steamer?  I searched my photo files and the closest visual match I could find was a 1908 ad for the Waltham Model 18 runabout, but the Waltham was not steam powered.

4.jpg.537971dbc4ca9af1e5528a62ad08ac9c.jpg

08 Waltham Model 18 Runabout DSC07763.JPG

1 hour ago, LCK81403 said:

A photo of a mystery steamer ? was posted earlier.  Is there something on the car that shows it is a steamer?  I searched my photo files and the closest visual match I could find was a 1908 ad for the Waltham Model 18 runabout, but the Waltham was not steam powered.

4.jpg.537971dbc4ca9af1e5528a62ad08ac9c.jpg

08 Waltham Model 18 Runabout DSC07763.JPG

The Waltham Runabout is a variation of the buckboard which has its engine in the tail.

I think the mystery car may be one the many body variations available for the Locomobile steamer. Note the 'valves' next to the woman's skirt. You can see where the vertical engine is under the seat and the chain drive to the rear end.

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

Stutz.jpg

Stutz Bearcat. I thought perhaps the drum lights might make it a later date - 1921-22? - but a quick look at photos shows they used those drum light from quite early - 1918 or so? Way before other makers found them to be fashionable.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_26__1928_.jpg

Would that be Southampton UK or Southampton US , interested as Southampton Uk my home and thought may be the docks as home of the big liners , and the lady may boarding for translantic voyage to US 

4 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Would that be Southampton UK or Southampton US , interested as Southampton Uk my home and thought may be the docks as home of the big liners , and the lady may boarding for translantic voyage to US 

That would be United States as it is from a US Newspaper.

8 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Does 'leaving' mean just getting out of it, or is she leaving the car there and perhaps going away? The vagaries of the English language - as she is spoke.

Silly Americans!

I took it to mean she was getting out of the car to attend an event.   That car was as expensive as a smaller mansion level house in the US in 1929 and much more than a Model J.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alsancle said:

That would be United States as it is from a US Newspaper.

Looks like a European press release to me, and the tires are Michelin.........so it's a photo from over the pond is a reasonable guess..