Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 5/9/2021 at 11:43 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

Well we didn't either alsuncle and there were 830 of us., Course it was in 1969 but still...

We had 419 classmates in 1963, two Corvettes and both of the still belong ot the now 75 year old boys that owned them then.

One was a used 1958, the other a new 1962.   First of the Babyboomers!

The new 62 Corvette guy was a doctors son who inherited the father's Franklin Automobile collection. 

He still has all of it.  The 62 Corvette was a 16th Birthday gift.

The 58 guy became a real car guy and had 59 Fifty Nine Cadillacs at one time in Columbus OH.  Still plays

with cars including the 58 Vette.   Both live on Florida where they grew up.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
The rest of the story (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

We had 419 classmates in 1963, two Corvettes and both of the still belong ot the now 75 year old boys that owned them then.

One was a used 1958, the other a new 1962.   First of the Babyboomers!

You had some lucky mates , love both the 58 and 62 corvettes , the 62 must have been quite expensive then being only a year old , he obviously had parents with a few bucks . My friends and I were 16 in 63 , no one had cars , not allowed to drive until 18 then in Uk , still pedal power , but I had a cyclemaster ( bicycle with 50cc engine in back wheel ) which I did my paper round on , I think I probably should have had a licence but no one ever stopped me , I acquired it through a swop of a valve radio. Had pictures of corvettes then would have loved to have had one even 2 years later when 18 , didn’t pass driving test till 20 , no urgency as had scooter by then , but could never have afforded a 62 corvette, 50 years nothings changed still can’t as good ones fetch 80/100k , perhaps I’ll sell my house 😁

In my newspaper this morning was a brief mentioning about a car accident here in Helsinki almost 83 yeas ago.  Two pedestrians were killed, the car was a Ford "of sporting type". That sounded interesting I quickly found a newspaper clipping. It was a 1934 Ford Model 40 De Luxe Coupe that was involved in reckless driving. 

1938 accident.jpg

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

In honor of my friend Walt, who egged me on to spend a small fortune on 30 odd copies of Omnia magazine I'll post a cool picture that I've never seen before.     The Salon issues are the ones to have and I think I got 3 or 4 in the batch.   But all issues probably have 1/2 dozen cool pictures that I've never seen before.

IMG_8089.jpg

• Like 4

It is an honor to spend other peoples $. Omnia is not a common magazine here in the USA as it was never really imported and put on the newsstand when new because it is in French. It was a monthly magazine that started in 1920 and lasted until 1931. Many researchers have not heard of it often . I have almost a full run of all issues , lacking perhaps 3 or 4 total. It had coated stock paper so the quality of the photographs on that type of paper still is amazing 90 plus years later. Great information and images and the color cover artwork is outstanding. I had the help of getting the run of that publication from a close friend in England who was a motor book dealer , and had a list of things that I was looking for to add to my library/archives for my research, it took several decades to finally get the set I have.  Most likely the AACA library will wind up with my run of Omnia one day.

Walt

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

Interesting claims for the technical advantages of  Panhard's fenders, especially eliminating the need for bumper guards. 

Would you translate for those of us for whom high school French classes are too many decades past now...

New fenders of unusual shape, falling to the bumper.  Better protection against thrown mud, avoids gusts of wind under the fenders which cause a large resistance to moving forward.  Avoids the need for supplemental bumper guards.

Not word for word

• Like 1

I really enjoy and appreciate all these photos but especially the ones like this with artwork painted on the sides of buildings, barns, tops of hotels etc. to advertise a product .

I taught art for 40 years and to see anything hand lettered, or painted is a skill and art form that is being lost to modern technology ( perhaps it its already gone)  There is no computer generated plans to refer to, everything was hand drawn, painted with a brush. Even the lettering on the door of the truck was hand painted/lettered. That bottle they are working on appears three dimensional yet you know it is on a flat brick wall that has the irregular surface of the bricks and mortar joints to contend with.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I really enjoy and appreciate all these photos but especially the ones like this with artwork painted on the sides of buildings, barns, tops of hotels etc. to advertise a product .

I taught art for 40 years and to see anything hand lettered, or painted is a skill and art form that is being lost to modern technology ( perhaps it its already gone)  There is no computer generated plans to refer to, everything was hand drawn, painted with a brush. Even the lettering on the door of the truck was hand painted/lettered. 

Hello Walt

Attached is a detail of the artwork on (formerly) my 1931 Chevy fire engine. Many detail photos were taken before the old paint was blasted off. A fairly young fellow recreated the gold leaf scrolls and striping. It's truly an art form to paint in the shading to get a three dimensional appearance. The original artist at Bickle Fire Engines in Woodstock, Ontario faced a problem when the new Imron paints came in. The gold leaf would fall off the glossy finish. He sliced a potato in half and slid the cut part of the spud along where the gold leaf was to be applied. The acid in the potato softened the paint just enough for the gold leaf to stick !

I asked the painter what the most difficult part of the job was. Interestingly,he said the hardest part was getting the stripes on the 20 inch disc wheels to line up when he had gone full circle.

Slides from carousels 1970's 033.JPG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

I taught art for 40 years and to see anything hand lettered, or painted is a skill and art form that is being lost to modern technology ( perhaps it its already gone)  There is no computer generated plans to refer to, everything was hand drawn, painted with a brush. Even the lettering on the door of the truck was hand painted/lettered. That bottle they are working on appears three dimensional yet you know it is on a flat brick wall that has the irregular surface of the bricks and mortar joints to contend with.

In my day, it was Letraset!

Craig

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Would you translate for those of us for whom high school French classes are too many decades past now...

If you ever want to translate a piece of foreign language - eg French -  just type 'translate French to English' in the search line of a new page, and it should come up with a couple of boxes for each language. Then all you do is copy and paste the section of text, et voila. I think sometimes it struggles with more technical stuff but you get the idea.

One more on the Royals.

1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan  Presidential Limousine  -  Bubble Top Parade Car  - Presidential Motorcade

President Eisenhower - Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip - United States Visit - Washington DC  - October, 1957

18068753023_4dc4d0dd5b_b.jpg

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Credit for this thread goes to all of you!   Not me.  I just have a lot of ideas ( to many) for looking and learning about history , stories that need to be shared all generated by the images we view and marvel at. I  felt that there had to be a few more like me beyond the dozen or so I knew were already as odd as I was. Even if you don't contribute because you don't have the resources or time to seek things - you are here looking at this, learning and having a good time. That is what old cars are all about. The comradeship , it's all good. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Credit for this thread goes to all of you!   Not me.  I just have a lot of ideas ( to many) for looking and learning about history , stories that need to be shared all generated by the images we view and marvel at. I  felt that there had to be a few more like me beyond the dozen or so I knew were already as odd as I was. Even if you don't contribute because you don't have the resources or time to seek things - you are here looking at this, learning and having a good time. That is what old cars are all about. The comradeship , it's all good. 

No dodging the credit for coming up with one of the best threads I have ever seen.  Like all great leaders you passed the credit to the others. But we know....

• Thanks 1

SHORPY-8c00898a.jpg?itok=jfnP3avS

Showtime in Chicago

SHORPY-8c03972a.jpg

November 1940. "The main square in Colchester, Connecticut."

SHORPY-8c04725a.jpg

March 1941. "Traffic on the main street of Fayetteville, North Carolina."

SHORPY-8c00261a.jpg

December 1940. "San Diego, California. Workers' automobiles parked near the airplane factories."

SHORPY-8b14858a.jpg?itok=ziayivsB

August 1942. Washington, D.C. "Corner store at 11th and P Streets N.W."

• Like 2