Jump to content

Period images to relieve some of the stress


Walt G

Recommended Posts

Is this a 1932 Reo?  Any guesses what the car is in the background?  It appears to be a close coupled body and has a trunk (boot) lid.  At sometime I saw photos of a car with a trunk like that but I am blank on the identity now.

32 Reo possible.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Is this a 1932 Reo?  Any guesses what the car is in the background?  It appears to be a close coupled body and has a trunk (boot) lid.  At sometime I saw photos of a car with a trunk like that but I am blank on the identity now.

32 Reo possible.jpg

 

'32 Essex.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

 

For those who wish to compare.

 

The Duchess On Top

The Fleetwood Shown On The Bottom.

 

 

 

1941 Cadillac Limousine - The Duchess.jpg

 

The Duchess is essentially a Torpedo C-Body lengthened ten inches mid-ship.   Whether it was the prototype for the next iteration of the 60 Special is debatable, though the influence is obvious.   According to the book by Michael Lamm and Dave Holls, A Century of Automotive Style, 100 Years of American Car Design, page 108:

 

"As for the 1942 Buick and its "Airfoil" through front fenders, Earl had offered them to Cadillac at first.  He reasoned that fenders had been stretching farther and farther back into the front doors, and it seemed natural that the final iteration-the through version- should appear first on GM's highest car line.  But Nick Dreystadt wasn't buying, saying it was too expensive to produce.

Whereupon Earl offered the idea to Buick and Harlow Curtice.  Curtice jumped at it, and the through fenders appeared on two Buick models for 1942: the Roadmaster and the Super two doors.   The technical feasibility that made the through fender possible involved Fisher Body figuring out how to engineer the hidden hinges."

'42 Cadillac-60 Special profile.jpg

'42 Buick Roadmaster sedanet.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The Duchess is essentially a Torpedo C-Body lengthened ten inches mid-ship.   Whether it was the prototype for the next iteration of the 60 Special is debatable, though the influence is obvious.   According to the book by Michael Lamm and Dave Holls, A Century of Automotive Style, 100 Years of American Car Design, page 108:

 

"As for the 1942 Buick and its "Airfoil" through front fenders, Earl had offered them to Cadillac at first.  He reasoned that fenders had been stretching farther and farther back into the front doors, and it seemed natural that the final iteration-the through version- should appear first on GM's highest car line.  But Nick Dreystadt wasn't buying, saying it was too expensive to produce.

Whereupon Earl offered the idea to Buick and Harlow Curtice.  Curtice jumped at it, and the through fenders appeared on two Buick models for 1942: the Roadmaster and the Super two doors.   The technical feasibility that made the through fender possible involved Fisher Body figuring out how to engineer the hidden hinges."

'42 Cadillac-60 Special profile.jpg

'42 Buick Roadmaster sedanet.jpg

… and possibly an influence for this model Caddy.

49_Cadillac-60S_Special_DV-12-RMA_01-800.jpg

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

… and possibly an influence for this model Caddy.

49_Cadillac-60S_Special_DV-12-RMA_01-800.jpg

The Duchess long-term influence was to demonstrate to management and product development that a premium sedan as an extension of their volume sedan could be built as simply as adding wheelbase length for interior space and longer OAL.   The last feature was one of Misterl's major contributions to GM dominance in the medium and luxury segments: the extended deck top-line models which every GM brand fielded except Chevrolet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2021 at 4:53 PM, 8E45E said:

Or an Austin Atlantic for the side sculpting.

 

Craig

How about the BMW 501/502?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, dictator27 said:

How about the BMW 501/502?

Or Franay body Bentleys, Labourdette body Rolls Royce, some, but not all Figoni & Falaschi body Delahayes prior to those.  

 

The list can go on.

 

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

Would you believe that with a graduating class of 312 kids in my class in the early 80s we didn't have a single Corvette at school?

Corvette71.jpg

Well we didn't either alsuncle and there were 830 of us., Course it was in 1969 but still...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Jennison.jpg

 

Mrs Jennison storms up Bwich-y-Groes on her Brough Superior during the 1923 ACU Six Days Trial. Mr Jennison minding the route cards. Mrs Jennison liked her fast motorcycles, the family was all involved. 

She held a record of 70 mph on a 200cc Velocette in 1922. About the Brough, she said "It's not a beginner's motorcycle, the motor is a big lump of joy. If it doesn't break your neck it will break your heart."

 Also, (and I know this audience might disagree about this statement on motorcycling in general), she said, "Even though you might be wet-through at the end of the day, there are feelings of well-being that just can't be duplicated by crocheting."

 

jenni.jpg

 

 

wall.jpg

 

bernarlimo.jpg

 

jolly.jpg

 

OK, I'll stop now.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, twin6 said:

If I ever did know the story on this Packard, I've long since forgotten it.

R.jpg

 

 

Don't worry, if it's still around and hidden in some barn or collection, when it gets rolled out there will be a much more interesting and exciting story made up to go with it..........😝

 

Fun photo!

 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, twin6 said:

If I ever did know the story on this Packard, I've long since forgotten it.

R.jpg

 

 

My guess is a factory phaeton that was updated in the late 40s with a windshield, skirts, and carson top.

 

I'm thinking post war based on the rear window treatment.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, alsancle said:

My guess is a factory phaeton that was updated in the late 40s with a windshield, skirts, and carson top.

 

I'm thinking post war based on the rear window treatment.

 

Yeah, the sealed beam headlamps are bad enough! But what looks like a Lincoln greyhound ornament on a Packard really kills it!

It would probably be incredible if properly restored back to it original form.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

 

 

My guess is a factory phaeton that was updated in the late 40s with a windshield, skirts, and carson top.

 

I'm thinking post war based on the rear window treatment.

 

I agree; especially if those curved sections are clear plastic.

 

It appears to be an attempt to make a 20's touring into an 'all-weather' car.

 

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It’s probably post war, as the tires on the ground look new. Those would not have been available for the car from 1940 to 1946. I think the Greyhound adds a touch of class...........🥸

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2021 at 1:52 AM, alsancle said:

BuickCoupe.jpg

 

1931 Buick Series 60 on the 118" wheelbase I think. The 8 radiator cap distinguishes it from a 1930 model.

 

Since I have become the owner of a car with a golf bag door I been noticing the shapes and method of opening of various cars with them. There is quite a variety.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Jennison.jpg

 

Mrs Jennison storms up Bwich-y-Groes on her Brough Superior during the 1923 ACU Six Days Trial. Mr Jennison minding the route cards. Mrs Jennison liked her fast motorcycles, the family was all involved. 

She held a record of 70 mph on a 200cc Velocette in 1922. About the Brough, she said "It's not a beginner's motorcycle, the motor is a big lump of joy. If it doesn't break your neck it will break your heart."

 Also, (and I know this audience might disagree about this statement on motorcycling in general), she said, "Even though you might be wet-through at the end of the day, there are feelings of well-being that just can't be duplicated by crocheting."

 

jenni.jpg

 

 

wall.jpg

 

bernarlimo.jpg

 

jolly.jpg

 

OK, I'll stop now.

 

Pic #3 - looks to be a Smiths Auto Wheel. The AT registration is Kingston-upon-Hull. From the look of the grumpy spectators the date is probably just pre WW1.

Pic #4 looks like a stretched Purvis Eureka.

Pic #5 - the bike was registered in the Reading, UK, area in 1952. Not much clue to the identity of the bike, but it competing in a trial, a very popular type of event in the UK.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2021 at 11:57 AM, twin6 said:

Schlitz.jpg

Great shot of a 1910 E-M-F sporting the Studebaker radiator badge.  They didn't splurge for the top or windshield, though.

 

I did a search for Hall & Walls Wholesale Liquor and found this from Anaheim, CA.  Looks like they got robbed.  I wonder if the E-M-F was the getaway car?

Title:

Hall and Walls Wholesale Liquor store, Anaheim [graphic]
Digital Anaheim

Description:

View of a shattered safe in the doorway of Hall and Walls Wholesale Liquor store, located at 133 West Center Street (now Lincoln Ave.), evidence of a burglary on December 18, 1910; view shows five men and one boy, all unidentified, standing on either side of the doorway and safe.

Date:

18 December 1910 (issued)

Contributing Institution:

Anaheim Public Library

hi-res.jpg

Edited by Ian Hayhurst (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2021 at 11:17 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Anyone from Canada know the story behind this team?

 

My search said Dawson City Canada (Yukon)

 

still_from_dawson_city_frozen_time_daaa_family_theater_courtesy_dawson_museum_hypontic_pictures_picture_palace_pictures.jpg

Not sure about the team, but that's a 1914 Overland 79T followed by a Model T.  The T's windshield appears to be the 1914 style, but the headlight looks to be all brass (1912) rather than black & brass.  I sure would love one of those license plates!.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...