Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Looks like a European press release to me, and the tires are Michelin.........so it's a photo from over the pond is a reasonable guess..

You don't have to guess,  I know where the picture came from.    It was taken in Southhampton Long Island NY.

Isotta Fraschini was delivered new with Michelin tires,  as it was built in Europe.

• Like 1

More on the subject of the Royal Daimlers. This photo is from the National Library of New Zealand collection.  I have posted three versions of it.

It shows the Queen and Prince Phillip in one of the Daimler landaulettes entering the premises of the Ford assembly plant in Seaview near Wellington on 11 January 1954.

In the background is the yard of Gillies who dealt in war surplus vehicles, mostly GMC trucks from the Pacific islands.

Also there is the car park of the Ford plant, which among other things contains a '32 Ford roadster.

The photo gives an idea of the large crowds assembled just to get a glimpse of the royal couple.

Web capture_8-5-2021_0237_ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz a.jpeg

Web capture_8-5-2021_02529_ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz d.jpeg

Web capture_8-5-2021_0273_ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz b.jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, alsancle said:

You don't have to guess,  I know where the picture came from.    It was taken in Southhampton Long Island NY.

Isotta Fraschini was delivered new with Michelin tires,  as it was built in Europe.

Isotta Fraschini had an active sales agent/dealership in New York City. I-F chassis were imported mostly not as complete cars with coachwork ( was less tariff to do so as an import) and bodies were built to order here. I have the original sales catalog issued by I-F here in the USA ( and printed here as well) , Fleetwood did a lot of bodies for I-F as Manhattan and Fleetwood , Pa. were not to far apart to transport a chassis then a completed car by rail . I also was friends with Joe Gaeta, from Port Washington, NY on long island ( about 14 miles north of where I reside) and he worked for I-F in Manhattan. He bought the Valentino I-F roadster new because Valentino died before he could take delivery. As a mid age teen I would go to car shows with my Dad, and when my Dad would walk around I would sit with Joe in his I-F to talk about the time he worked for I-F , I was fascinated and he thought it was great to talk to a kid about cars that stopped being made half a century before. Joe was a great guy! He had R-R pedal pads on his I-F because he said the ones with the I-F logo fell off with age and he couldn't find any to replace them but Phantom I Rolls Royce fit fine!

To many stories to much information to many memories. This I-F in the USA could become a major story, I have all the images to go along with it.

Walt

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Isotta Fraschini had an active sales agent/dealership in New York City. I-F chassis were imported mostly not as complete cars with coachwork ( was less tariff to do so as an import) and bodies were built to order here. I have the original sales catalog issued by I-F here in the USA ( and printed here as well) , Fleetwood did a lot of bodies for I-F as Manhattan and Fleetwood , Pa. were not to far apart to transport a chassis then a completed car by rail . To many stories to much information to many memories. This I-F in the USA could become a major story, I have all the images to go along with it.

Walt

Like Minerva, I wonder how many were sold new in Canada.

Craig

On 5/6/2021 at 7:58 AM, edinmass said:

The video titled........"The world's most stylish Cadillac." Either they are blind, retarded, or selling the car.

I agree.  The 1941 Series 60 Fleetwood is much better looking.   This one looked like a Prototype for the 49 Buick.

51 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I agree.  The 1941 Series 60 Fleetwood is much better looking.   This one looked like a Prototype for the 49 Buick.

You know, they didn't say the most beautiful or anything about best looking. They said stylish. It has a subtle elegance and a very well done interior. No one said it was the worlds best looking Cadillac. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hook said:

You know, they didn't say the most beautiful or anything about best looking. They said stylish. It has a subtle elegance and a very well done interior. No one said it was the worlds best looking Cadillac. 

Ditto for me as well. Very well said.

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Or an Austin Atlantic for the side sculpting.

Craig

11 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Is there a German version of the Beach Boys "Little Deuce Coupe", I think not. 

635126680_GermanPigeonCarrierandvehicle1913.jpg.849d044a0108fe4979320ed0196da5b8.jpg

No! I think it's "Run chicken run" or "My little stoole pigeon" by the Keiser Billy Five. Actually this is a pigeon coupe carrier. I think the Germans had a carrier pigeon corp before and during the first world war. 

16 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

The Flynn convertible is a custom, but the fender line fading into the door is factory Packard Clipper, I think designed in-house by Werner Gubitz

On the production Clippers, the crease ends in the center of the front doors.  The Flynn Clipper clearly shows that crease is through the entire front door.

Craig

On 5/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, Paul Dobbin said:

On 5/7/2021 at 12:16 PM, hook said:

For those who wish to compare.

The Duchess On Top

The Fleetwood Shown On The Bottom.

1941 Cadillac Limousine - The Duchess.jpg

1941-cadillac-sixty-special-fleetwood-imperial-3-speed-manual-346ci-l-head-5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is this a 1932 Reo?  Any guesses what the car is in the background?  It appears to be a close coupled body and has a trunk (boot) lid.  At sometime I saw photos of a car with a trunk like that but I am blank on the identity now.

32 Reo possible.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Is this a 1932 Reo?  Any guesses what the car is in the background?  It appears to be a close coupled body and has a trunk (boot) lid.  At sometime I saw photos of a car with a trunk like that but I am blank on the identity now.

32 Reo possible.jpg

'32 Essex.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

For those who wish to compare.

The Duchess On Top

The Fleetwood Shown On The Bottom.

1941 Cadillac Limousine - The Duchess.jpg

The Duchess is essentially a Torpedo C-Body lengthened ten inches mid-ship.   Whether it was the prototype for the next iteration of the 60 Special is debatable, though the influence is obvious.   According to the book by Michael Lamm and Dave Holls, A Century of Automotive Style, 100 Years of American Car Design, page 108:

"As for the 1942 Buick and its "Airfoil" through front fenders, Earl had offered them to Cadillac at first.  He reasoned that fenders had been stretching farther and farther back into the front doors, and it seemed natural that the final iteration-the through version- should appear first on GM's highest car line.  But Nick Dreystadt wasn't buying, saying it was too expensive to produce.

Whereupon Earl offered the idea to Buick and Harlow Curtice.  Curtice jumped at it, and the through fenders appeared on two Buick models for 1942: the Roadmaster and the Super two doors.   The technical feasibility that made the through fender possible involved Fisher Body figuring out how to engineer the hidden hinges."

'42 Cadillac-60 Special profile.jpg

'42 Buick Roadmaster sedanet.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The Duchess is essentially a Torpedo C-Body lengthened ten inches mid-ship.   Whether it was the prototype for the next iteration of the 60 Special is debatable, though the influence is obvious.   According to the book by Michael Lamm and Dave Holls, A Century of Automotive Style, 100 Years of American Car Design, page 108:

"As for the 1942 Buick and its "Airfoil" through front fenders, Earl had offered them to Cadillac at first.  He reasoned that fenders had been stretching farther and farther back into the front doors, and it seemed natural that the final iteration-the through version- should appear first on GM's highest car line.  But Nick Dreystadt wasn't buying, saying it was too expensive to produce.

Whereupon Earl offered the idea to Buick and Harlow Curtice.  Curtice jumped at it, and the through fenders appeared on two Buick models for 1942: the Roadmaster and the Super two doors.   The technical feasibility that made the through fender possible involved Fisher Body figuring out how to engineer the hidden hinges."

'42 Cadillac-60 Special profile.jpg

'42 Buick Roadmaster sedanet.jpg

… and possibly an influence for this model Caddy.

49_Cadillac-60S_Special_DV-12-RMA_01-800.jpg

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

… and possibly an influence for this model Caddy.

49_Cadillac-60S_Special_DV-12-RMA_01-800.jpg

The Duchess long-term influence was to demonstrate to management and product development that a premium sedan as an extension of their volume sedan could be built as simply as adding wheelbase length for interior space and longer OAL.   The last feature was one of Misterl's major contributions to GM dominance in the medium and luxury segments: the extended deck top-line models which every GM brand fielded except Chevrolet.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dictator27 said:

How about the BMW 501/502?

Or Franay body Bentleys, Labourdette body Rolls Royce, some, but not all Figoni & Falaschi body Delahayes prior to those.  

The list can go on.

Craig

Jennison.jpg

Mrs Jennison storms up Bwich-y-Groes on her Brough Superior during the 1923 ACU Six Days Trial. Mr Jennison minding the route cards. Mrs Jennison liked her fast motorcycles, the family was all involved. 

She held a record of 70 mph on a 200cc Velocette in 1922. About the Brough, she said "It's not a beginner's motorcycle, the motor is a big lump of joy. If it doesn't break your neck it will break your heart."

Also, (and I know this audience might disagree about this statement on motorcycling in general), she said, "Even though you might be wet-through at the end of the day, there are feelings of well-being that just can't be duplicated by crocheting."

jenni.jpg

wall.jpg

bernarlimo.jpg

jolly.jpg

OK, I'll stop now.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

If I ever did know the story on this Packard, I've long since forgotten it.

R.jpg

Don't worry, if it's still around and hidden in some barn or collection, when it gets rolled out there will be a much more interesting and exciting story made up to go with it..........😝

Fun photo!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, twin6 said:

If I ever did know the story on this Packard, I've long since forgotten it.

R.jpg

My guess is a factory phaeton that was updated in the late 40s with a windshield, skirts, and carson top.

I'm thinking post war based on the rear window treatment.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alsancle said:

My guess is a factory phaeton that was updated in the late 40s with a windshield, skirts, and carson top.

Yeah, the sealed beam headlamps are bad enough! But what looks like a Lincoln greyhound ornament on a Packard really kills it!

It would probably be incredible if properly restored back to it original form.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I agree; especially if those curved sections are clear plastic.

It appears to be an attempt to make a 20's touring into an 'all-weather' car.

Craig