Jump to content

Period images to relieve some of the stress


Walt G

Recommended Posts

The video titled........"The world's most stylish Cadillac." Either they are blind, retarded, or selling the car.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A photo of a mystery steamer ? was posted earlier.  Is there something on the car that shows it is a steamer?  I searched my photo files and the closest visual match I could find was a 1908 ad for the Waltham Model 18 runabout, but the Waltham was not steam powered.

4.jpg.537971dbc4ca9af1e5528a62ad08ac9c.jpg

08 Waltham Model 18 Runabout DSC07763.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LCK81403 said:

A photo of a mystery steamer ? was posted earlier.  Is there something on the car that shows it is a steamer?  I searched my photo files and the closest visual match I could find was a 1908 ad for the Waltham Model 18 runabout, but the Waltham was not steam powered.

4.jpg.537971dbc4ca9af1e5528a62ad08ac9c.jpg

08 Waltham Model 18 Runabout DSC07763.JPG

 

The Waltham Runabout is a variation of the buckboard which has its engine in the tail.

 

I think the mystery car may be one the many body variations available for the Locomobile steamer. Note the 'valves' next to the woman's skirt. You can see where the vertical engine is under the seat and the chain drive to the rear end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

MysterySpeedster.jpg

 

Going by the wheel hubs I think this one is either French or British.

 

Unusual wire spoke set up which someone might recognise.

 

Note the quarter elliptic rear springs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

Stutz.jpg

 

Stutz Bearcat. I thought perhaps the drum lights might make it a later date - 1921-22? - but a quick look at photos shows they used those drum light from quite early - 1918 or so? Way before other makers found them to be fashionable.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_26__1928_.jpg

 

Does 'leaving' mean just getting out of it, or is she leaving the car there and perhaps going away? The vagaries of the English language - as she is spoke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_26__1928_.jpg

Would that be Southampton UK or Southampton US , interested as Southampton Uk my home and thought may be the docks as home of the big liners , and the lady may boarding for translantic voyage to US 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Would that be Southampton UK or Southampton US , interested as Southampton Uk my home and thought may be the docks as home of the big liners , and the lady may boarding for translantic voyage to US 

 

That would be United States as it is from a US Newspaper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

 

Does 'leaving' mean just getting out of it, or is she leaving the car there and perhaps going away? The vagaries of the English language - as she is spoke.

 

Silly Americans!

 

I took it to mean she was getting out of the car to attend an event.   That car was as expensive as a smaller mansion level house in the US in 1929 and much more than a Model J.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, alsancle said:

 

That would be United States as it is from a US Newspaper.

 

 

Looks like a European press release to me, and the tires are Michelin.........so it's a photo from over the pond is a reasonable guess..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

 

 

Looks like a European press release to me, and the tires are Michelin.........so it's a photo from over the pond is a reasonable guess..

 

You don't have to guess,  I know where the picture came from.    It was taken in Southhampton Long Island NY.

 

Isotta Fraschini was delivered new with Michelin tires,  as it was built in Europe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More on the subject of the Royal Daimlers. This photo is from the National Library of New Zealand collection.  I have posted three versions of it.

 

It shows the Queen and Prince Phillip in one of the Daimler landaulettes entering the premises of the Ford assembly plant in Seaview near Wellington on 11 January 1954.

 

In the background is the yard of Gillies who dealt in war surplus vehicles, mostly GMC trucks from the Pacific islands.

 

Also there is the car park of the Ford plant, which among other things contains a '32 Ford roadster.

 

The photo gives an idea of the large crowds assembled just to get a glimpse of the royal couple.

 

 

 

 

Web capture_8-5-2021_0237_ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz a.jpeg

Web capture_8-5-2021_02529_ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz d.jpeg

Web capture_8-5-2021_0273_ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz b.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, alsancle said:

 

You don't have to guess,  I know where the picture came from.    It was taken in Southhampton Long Island NY.

 

Isotta Fraschini was delivered new with Michelin tires,  as it was built in Europe.

Isotta Fraschini had an active sales agent/dealership in New York City. I-F chassis were imported mostly not as complete cars with coachwork ( was less tariff to do so as an import) and bodies were built to order here. I have the original sales catalog issued by I-F here in the USA ( and printed here as well) , Fleetwood did a lot of bodies for I-F as Manhattan and Fleetwood , Pa. were not to far apart to transport a chassis then a completed car by rail . I also was friends with Joe Gaeta, from Port Washington, NY on long island ( about 14 miles north of where I reside) and he worked for I-F in Manhattan. He bought the Valentino I-F roadster new because Valentino died before he could take delivery. As a mid age teen I would go to car shows with my Dad, and when my Dad would walk around I would sit with Joe in his I-F to talk about the time he worked for I-F , I was fascinated and he thought it was great to talk to a kid about cars that stopped being made half a century before. Joe was a great guy! He had R-R pedal pads on his I-F because he said the ones with the I-F logo fell off with age and he couldn't find any to replace them but Phantom I Rolls Royce fit fine!

To many stories to much information to many memories. This I-F in the USA could become a major story, I have all the images to go along with it.

Walt

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Isotta Fraschini had an active sales agent/dealership in New York City. I-F chassis were imported mostly not as complete cars with coachwork ( was less tariff to do so as an import) and bodies were built to order here. I have the original sales catalog issued by I-F here in the USA ( and printed here as well) , Fleetwood did a lot of bodies for I-F as Manhattan and Fleetwood , Pa. were not to far apart to transport a chassis then a completed car by rail . To many stories to much information to many memories. This I-F in the USA could become a major story, I have all the images to go along with it.

Walt

Like Minerva, I wonder how many were sold new in Canada.

 

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2021 at 7:58 AM, edinmass said:

The video titled........"The world's most stylish Cadillac." Either they are blind, retarded, or selling the car.

   I agree.  The 1941 Series 60 Fleetwood is much better looking.   This one looked like a Prototype for the 49 Buick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

   I agree.  The 1941 Series 60 Fleetwood is much better looking.   This one looked like a Prototype for the 49 Buick.

You know, they didn't say the most beautiful or anything about best looking. They said stylish. It has a subtle elegance and a very well done interior. No one said it was the worlds best looking Cadillac. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, hook said:

You know, they didn't say the most beautiful or anything about best looking. They said stylish. It has a subtle elegance and a very well done interior. No one said it was the worlds best looking Cadillac. 

Ditto for me as well. Very well said.

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

   I agree.  The 1941 Series 60 Fleetwood is much better looking.   This one looked like a Prototype for the 49 Buick.

Or an Austin Atlantic for the side sculpting.

 

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Or an Austin Atlantic for the side sculpting.

 

Craig

Didn't Austin swipe the "swoop" from Buick?😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Is there a German version of the Beach Boys "Little Deuce Coupe", I think not. 

635126680_GermanPigeonCarrierandvehicle1913.jpg.849d044a0108fe4979320ed0196da5b8.jpg

No! I think it's "Run chicken run" or "My little stoole pigeon" by the Keiser Billy Five. Actually this is a pigeon coupe carrier. I think the Germans had a carrier pigeon corp before and during the first world war. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

The Flynn convertible is a custom, but the fender line fading into the door is factory Packard Clipper, I think designed in-house by Werner Gubitz

On the production Clippers, the crease ends in the center of the front doors.  The Flynn Clipper clearly shows that crease is through the entire front door.

 

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, Paul Dobbin said:

   I agree.  The 1941 Series 60 Fleetwood is much better looking.   This one looked like a Prototype for the 49 Buick.

 

On 5/7/2021 at 12:16 PM, hook said:

You know, they didn't say the most beautiful or anything about best looking. They said stylish. It has a subtle elegance and a very well done interior. No one said it was the worlds best looking Cadillac. 

For those who wish to compare.

 

The Duchess On Top

The Fleetwood Shown On The Bottom.

 

 

 

1941 Cadillac Limousine - The Duchess.jpg

1941-cadillac-sixty-special-fleetwood-imperial-3-speed-manual-346ci-l-head-5.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...