Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

An armored car -- literally a car with armor added on.  It appears to have the general appearance of a 1934 Ford.  The photo suggests a weapons crew of no less than three - two M-1917 Enfield riflemen, a machine gunner, plus a driver.  Normally a manned machine gun, as shown, requires two men, hence there could be five men in the fighting compartment.  The top of the automobile must be open to provide operating room for the water-cooled Browning machine gun.  Identification of the M-1917 rifles is positive based on what is visible protruding from the firing ports.

Police 093.jpg

17.jpg

Body on that center "panel" delivery seems to be a extended length delivery for possibly an upscale store. It's hard to make out but possibly the area over the front (drivers ) seat may be able to open up similar to a town car. Body extends well beyond the rear fender so was built to accommodate more space inside for items to await delivery. "Painted" fenders ( meaning that they are not black) so that is an indication of wanting to appear more "non commercial" but car like.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

What type of body is in the middle of the frame? The white one...

It's really interesting, would love to put the magnifier on it. Walt, as usual, is spot on with his observations-those painted fenders really distinguish it. Given the era of the surrounding vehicles is anyone else of the opinion that it's just too fine a chassis of that time to have been a cheap commercial conversion? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, md murray said:

It's really interesting, would love to put the magnifier on it. Walt, as usual, is spot on with his observations-those painted fenders really distinguish it. Given the era of the surrounding vehicles is anyone else of the opinion that it's just too fine a chassis of that time to have been a cheap commercial conversion? 

I would agree with that.... I believe this same type of vehicle was posted in a parade photo approximately 100 pages ago. If I find it, we may have a better angle. 

It was questioned at the time who the  maker was (my guess would be Packard) but no one responded. Will try and find it again...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks I recall seeing it as well but although I started this thread ( mess?) don't know how to navigate it well to locate things. Not a Packard, but does have the open area above the drivers seat. Definitely a high end delivery vehicle for "fancy goods" ( as my British friends are fond of stating) or services , would not have delivered office supplies like rubber bands and thumb tacks, more likely upscale butterfly nets or ladies under garments, or Betty Boop's garters.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Thanks I recall seeing it as well but although I started this thread ( mess?) don't know how to navigate it well to locate things. Not a Packard, but does have the open area above the drivers seat. Definitely a high end delivery vehicle for "fancy goods" ( as my British friends are fond of stating) or services , would not have delivered office supplies like rubber bands and thumb tacks, more likely upscale butterfly nets or ladies under garments, or Betty Boop's garters.

Correct, it was a department store that sold womens clothing, sporting goods and such..

Noticed the wagon and the special delivery both had the same logo B.H.Dyas Co.

B. H. Dyas - Wikipedia

Here's the original link I found it on that shows the vehicle and info of the locations in the Los Angeles CA area 

Water and Power Associates

Hint:

ctrl/F old setters parade and it will take you to the section.

A person could get lost in time on that Water and Power website about the LA/Hollywood  history...

I still have no idea what type of vehicle it is, I thought Packard due to the shape of the grill and hubcaps. Just not enough detail in the photo for a positive I.D. and I couldn't locate any other clues.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

23 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Very similar to this one which turned up on a facebook page a few days ago. I think the car in the fb pic is a few years old as I reckon it dates from 1902-03 but it has a registration plate, and appears to have had its wheels changed.

20s autos Jack Finney maybe De Dion.jpg

I have been advised that this one is a 1902 Darracq, presumably sold in the US as an American Darracq. although there was little difference between the American version and the French one.  This one has been modified considerably - chassis lengthened, radiator size increased, and the controls and steering wheel altered or replaced, among other things. I think it is reasonable to assume that the 'car wash car' is the same model, in unmodified from.

19 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

J. Hawkings: Thanks, Kellner would make sense for a Duesenberg J bodied in Europe.

Here's what I've identified in this NYC film.  In addition to a number of late 1930's Lincoln K models including a Willoughby panel brougham and a Rolls-Royce sedan-limousine, at specific times in the film are.

2:15; left side, light color taxi - unknown maker.

6:07; 1934 Lincoln KB three window Berline by Judkins.

7:06; unknown maker taxi

7:59-8:01 Duesenberg J four window sedan enters from right side street

8:54-8:56 this same Duesenberg J overtakes the film vehicle, the body might have been by Rollston

9:45 1934-'37 Cadillac Sixteen sedan-limousine parked at the curb.

I'm interested to know the makers of those two unknown make taxis.  The Checker Model Y and DeSoto Skyview were ubiquitous, a few GMC/Yellow Coach taxis appear much less frequently.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:35 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

J. Hawkings: Thanks, Kellner would make sense for a Duesenberg J bodied in Europe.

Here's what I've identified in this NYC film.  In addition to a number of late 1930's Lincoln K models including a Willoughby panel brougham and a Rolls-Royce sedan-limousine, at specific times in the film are.

2:15; left side, light color taxi - unknown maker.

6:07; 1934 Lincoln KB three window Berline by Judkins.

7:06; unknown maker taxi

7:59-8:01 Duesenberg J four window sedan enters from right side street

8:54-8:56 this same Duesenberg J overtakes the film vehicle, the body might have been by Rollston

9:45 1934-'37 Cadillac Sixteen sedan-limousine parked at the curb.

I'm interested to know the makers of those two unknown make taxis.  The Checker Model Y and DeSoto Skyview were ubiquitous, a few GMC/Yellow Coach taxis appear much less frequently.

Thanks for making this easy for me Steve.    The Duesenberg at 7:59 & 8:54 is J473 Rollston Sedan which is no longer with us.   This info came straight from Randy Ema.

Duesenberg-J473-Rollston.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AJ: Thanks for the confirmation, especially from the foremost acknowledged expert in all things Duesenberg.   The fleeting images struck me that it might have been the Rollston limousine pictured on page 144 of Fred Roe's  Duesenberg The Pursuit of Perfection.

Now, the really tough question: what carmakers were those two unknown make taxis?   The first reminds me of a scaled down Diamond T Model 80 truck.   The second is a complete mystery.  

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, Tph479 said:

09D2E664-A8FB-4E04-A4C2-48589C862DC0.jpeg

Something my son is building from scratch at his work for an overseas client. Modelled after no one particular car, just intended to have the essence of the period. 

It is being built around modern mechanicals  - a mid 2000s BMW V8 - for ease of use.

I look forward to its completion - probably in about two years.

Reassembly work on the red BMW 3.0CSL next to it has kept him off the project for a few weeks.

Photo  - not 'period' of course - posted on a local facebook page by the father of the young guy in the foreground.

Harry at AR 0321.jpg

Some pictures taken at the 1956 New York International Automobile Show held at the then new New York Coliseum showing my 1956 300 SL which was especially prepared by Mercedes-Benz to serve as a Standwagen for the Show. The person I bought the car from in 1971 purchased it from M-B at the Show. Also attached is a picture of the car as it appears presently.

1956 NY Auto Show 2.jpg

'56+New+York+Auto+Show.jpg

Avus Cedar Beach 2_0497 (2).JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I'd second the Rambler opinion, anyone recognize the other car?

Stoner & Bozer Garage ca 1910.jpg

My first thought was Buick but on the badge on the radiator the second - and third? - letter has a 'tail' - maybe a Y or G?

The bike is a similar mystery - engine mounted forward and low down.

9 minutes ago, ejboyd5 said:

Some pictures taken at the 1956 New York International Automobile Show held at the then new New York Coliseum showing my 1956 300 SL which was especially prepared by Mercedes-Benz to serve as a Standwagen for the Show. The person I bought the car from in 1971 purchased it from M-B at the Show. Also attached is a picture of the car as it appears presently.

1956 NY Auto Show 2.jpg

$7295 was obviously a lot of money in 1956 but it was still only about 2 1/2 times the price of a Corvette. In modern terms it is nowhere near the half million of so that supercars go for.

Maybe the mark vs dollar ratio had something to do with it?

2 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

You now need a modern one to park beside it!

Craig

10cis012.jpg

• Haha 1

I think we need a prewar photo about now?

This one showed up in the model T forum a few days ago (Thank you Rich B). So far, no really good guesses what it is/was. Certainly an unusual car. My first thought (for about two seconds) was Hupmobile, long chassis model 20 of 1911 or 1912. However, clearly it is not. While the car appears to be rather small, relatively speaking, the hood is too long, hubcaps and several other details are not right for a Hupp 20. The long chassis Hupp 20 was usually a touring car, of small proportions. Based upon the size of the men, it does appear to be about a Hupp 20 size? This car looks almost like a half-size Ford 6-40 roadster/model K? 

unknown6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I think we need a prewar photo about now?

This one showed up in the model T forum a few days ago (Thank you Rich B). So far, no really good guesses what it is/was. Certainly an unusual car. My first thought (for about two seconds) was Hupmobile, long chassis model 20 of 1911 or 1912. However, clearly it is not. While the car appears to be rather small, relatively speaking, the hood is too long, hubcaps and several other details are not right for a Hupp 20. The long chassis Hupp 20 was usually a touring car, of small proportions. Based upon the size of the men, it does appear to be about a Hupp 20 size? This car looks almost like a half-size Ford 6-40 roadster/model K? 

unknown6.jpg

No idea what it is yet but I notice it has full elliptical springs at the front.

The rear springs seem to be not visible.  Maybe it has a transverse setup - like a Paige-Detroit does.

P-D doesn't seem to have full elliptics at the front though.

Oddly enough there was a similar size mystery roadster posted somewhere within the last few months with similar front springs - now just have to remember where I saw it.

• Like 1