Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Can anyone identify my grandfather's truck?  Behind the truck his steam engine is running on a belt to the Red River Special threshing machine.  Presumably it is the same truck that he removed the water tank used to service the steam engine and replaced it with a "camping" box-body.  Possibly a Ford TT?  There is a deer with a serious rack of antlers on the left fender.

Threshing.jpg

Deer on fender.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, ford TT truck, probably 1920 or '21 based upon low radiator and styles of starting crank, headlamp lenses and wheel sizes and types. First photo shows brackets for a Prestolite tank (acetylene gas) down by the running board. Second photo shows the acetylene lamps mounted on the firewall. Very unusual for a vehicle that late that has electric headlamps. Possibly for working late into the night and lighting up the work area.

Very unusual body for a TT. It should be noted that Ford did not supply bodies for the TT until the 1924 model year. Before that, bodies were supplied by after-market truck body builders, chassis owners using second-hand bodies (very common to use discarded earlier runabout bodies!) or building their own crude bodies (sometimes literally fence boards!).

It should also be noted that some non-Ford heavy duty trucks continued to use acetylene gas headlamps until the late 1920s! Prestolite tanks continued to be readily available well into the 1970s, and in some states can still be found available at welding supply stores (unfortunately not in Califunny because I sure would like to pick up a few of them that way!!)

Forgot to mention, it has a Peerless after-market radiator. (Not related to the Peerless automobile.)

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)

10 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Can anyone identify my grandfather's truck?  Behind the truck his steam engine is running on a belt to the Red River Special threshing machine.  Presumably it is the same truck that he removed the water tank used to service the steam engine and replaced it with a "camping" box-body.  Possibly a Ford TT?  There is a deer with a serious rack of antlers on the left fender.

Threshing.jpg

Deer on fender.jpg

That picture with the thresher is priceless!  I have seen those big steamers running at shows but to see a 'real life' picture of one in action is awsome. Thank You for posting this.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

That picture with the thresher is priceless!  I have seen those big steamers running at shows but to see a 'real life' picture of one in action is awsome. Thank You for posting this.

This.  Would love to see more pictures of the steamer

• Like 1

I try to get to the threshermans reunion late summer in Ronks PA. They have a fantastic steam museum there. To see these beasts in action is incredible. I would recommend to anyone that has not witnessed it in person to do so at least once. My late father grew up on a farm in the 30's, and he would tell us all about the old stuff that was used 'in his day'.

• Like 1

Wayne, thank you for the information about my grandfather's Ford TT truck.  The steam engine was used for harvest / threshing season and the rest of the time he used it in either the sawmill at town or for the mobile saw rig he took out to farm properties.  It was a 23 horsepower steam engine, which doesn't sound like much but it was 23 horse at the drawbar.  The power of the machine was amazing with steel lugs bolted to the drive wheels.  The attached photo is one of his two Minneapolis gas tractors that was also used for threshing season and he is again running the Minnie on a belt with the 38-32 Red River Special thresher.  I was a grandson and unpaid helper with the threshing operations.  Somewhere I have a photo of him moving a house with the steam engine; it's quite a photo.

The deer on the fender of that Ford TT is shown in the attached photo.  The rifle is a Winchester caliber .32-40.  Can you identify the car, seen through the tree branches?  I can't begin to guesstimate what it is.  That's my dad on the small steamer at the home place, running a bucksaw to cut up fire wood.  Slab wood would be brought form the saw mill and "bucked" into fire wood at home.

Minneapolis gas tractor and Red River Special threshing machine - Copy.jpg

Grandpas deer 1931 - Copy.jpg

Home place - Copy.jpg

My dad with a broken arm in front of a Chevrolet.  Also a photo of dad when he was trapping muskrats; the truck is unidentified.

Dad broken arm Chevrolet - Copy.jpg

Dad muskrat trapper.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

is that from a magazine?

My friend Jim took the picture when he owned it. Picture was in frame when he gave it to me. Before arriving in Chicago the car came of of Ireland and was owned by a man named Desmond Fitzgerald. In later years this car was painted bright red and given whitewalls and chrome wires wheels.

1 hour ago, Tph479 said:

My friend Jim took the picture when he owned it. Picture was in frame when he gave it to me. Before arriving in Chicago the car came of of Ireland and was owned by a man named Desmond Fitzgerald. In later years this car was painted bright red and given whitewalls and chrome wires wheels.

Jim Debikero?

27 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Jim Debikero?

yes. He gave me some old pictures over the weekend. Incredible cars and stories. He told me how he raced his 540 k special roadster against the Model J 437 Weymann tapertail in the early 1960's on a country road. Said the engine sounds and exhaust notes that the cars made under full throttle is a sound you never forget. He later bought the tapertail for $20k..... It is interesting seeing amazing cars and hearing how the cars were driven and enjoyed when they were just used up old cars.

• Like 4

Can you identify the car, seen through the tree branches?  I can't begin to guesstimate what it is. 

Home place - Copy.jpg

Just not enough detail to identify that one. The lighting is bad, appears to be snow on the running board. Tree branches in the way. Cannot tell for sure what the suspension is? Car appears to have side curtains on it, and a front bumper? (But could be the tree branches?) Body is not a typical model T. It could possibly be an after-market body (it looks something like an after-market roadster body that ABC Body company and a couple others made for the model T?) The rear trunk area does not look typical either. It may have been built up with a utility box of some sort?

Interesting car though. 

And I love that steam engine!

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Some pages back earlier on there was a string on the "Brooklands Track'. You may be interested that the track is now an industrial estate with only a very small part of the banking and the Club House retained.  In 2017 after they moved the Bellman Hangar and completed the factory car parks I took the photo below of what remains of the main straight. Some other photos on https://www.svvs.org/brooklands17.shtml  

Regards 

Vintman(UK)

www.svvs.org

The new view of the Finishing Straight and Members Banking in the distance with the Bellman Hangar gone. Rest is now car park for industrial units and normally packed with cars.1336556185_Brooklandsmainstraightnow.jpg.6bdc4218bdf0da6ef9994eaeea3ca9f2.jpg

Edited by Vintman (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Tph479 said:

yes. He gave me some old pictures over the weekend. Incredible cars and stories. He told me how he raced his 540 k special roadster against the Model J 437 Weymann tapertail in the early 1960's on a country road. Said the engine sounds and exhaust notes that the cars made under full throttle is a sound you never forget. He later bought the tapertail for $20k..... It is interesting seeing amazing cars and hearing how the cars were driven and enjoyed when they were just used up old cars.

Any period photos of his ownership of the Duesenberg J 437 Weymann 'taper-tail' among those photos?  We'd love to see them!

21 minutes ago, Vintman said:

Hi Folks,

Some pages back earlier on there was a string on the "Brooklands Track'. You may be interested that the track is now an industrial estate with only a very small part of the banking and the Club House retained.  In 2007 after they moved the Bellman Hangar and completed the factory car parks I took the photo below of what remains of the main straight. Some other photos on https://www.svvs.org/brooklands17.shtml  

Regards 

Vintman(UK)

www.svvs.org

The new view of the Finishing Straight and Members Banking in the distance with the Bellman Hangar gone. Rest is now car park for industrial units and normally packed with cars.1336556185_Brooklandsmainstraightnow.jpg.6bdc4218bdf0da6ef9994eaeea3ca9f2.jpg

I had a Norton flat tank that was purported to be a Brooklands racer, even had the funky exhaust!

What is the story about the wheels / hubs of this Cadillac with the three well dressed men?  Looking at period photos of the same year and year-class of Cads, I see wood wheels, wire wheels, hub covers, and a more modern pressed steel wheel with a hub cover.  Back to basics, which wheel or wheels did Cadillac actually produce and roll out the factory door?  Which wheels are after market types, and are after-market wheel considered to be true to the make of car?  Presumably all of these six attached photos show 1934 Cadillacs.  Sometimes on the internet sites the year-date ascribed to a vehicle is not correct and my apologies in advance if there are errors.

34 Cadillac V-16 - Copy.jpg

34 Cadillac V16 Limo shopped.jpg

34 Cadillac Rdstr.jpg

34 Cadillac V-16 Limousine Town Car 01-14.jpg

34 Cadillac coupe.jpg

34 LaSalle Club Sedan.jpg

The Hubcaps on the top V16 are correct.   I think the later series V16 like that car had full steel wheels.

The town car which is actually a cut down limo is an earlier series 34 which had spokes with a wheel cover.

3r car is a 34 Lasalle which is very cool.

Last car is a 835 Reo Royale Victoria with painted wood spoke wheels.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

The Hubcaps on the top V16 are correct.   I think the later series V16 like that car had full steel wheels.

The town car which is actually a cut down limo is an earlier series 34 which had spokes with a wheel cover.

3rd car is a 35 LaSalle with the split windshield. 34 had bi-plane bumpers and a flat windshield. Common mistake. They look almost the same otherwise. 35 dash is not as fancy as 34. Also, 34 had a Fleetwood body, and I think 35 Fisher.

Edited by 34LaSalleClubSedan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Are you saying 3rd car down from top or after the pic with the 3 guys?  Car with girl has flat windshield, car with red mini car next to it has split windshield. So depending on how you’re counting pics you can both be correct, I think. But what the heck I don’t know any of this stuff but sure enjoy the pics and info. What’s the white car with two ladies? 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Are you saying 3rd car down from top or after the pic with the 3 guys?  Car with girl has flat windshield, car with red mini car next to it has split windshield. So depending on how you’re counting pics you can both be correct, I think. But what the heck I don’t know any of this stuff but sure enjoy the pics and info. What’s the white car with two ladies? 
dave s 

'Car with girl' is an Auburn.

3 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

dave s 

The white car with two ladies - actually three -  is a '35 LaSalle.

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Counting the first photo - V16 and three guys - as the first photo, the third car is an Auburn.

22 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

'Car with girl' is an Auburn.

The white car with two ladies - actually three -  is a '35 LaSalle.

Counting the first photo - V16 and three guys - as the first photo, the third car is an Auburn.

Sorry, I did skip over the Auburn.

9 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Any period photos of his ownership of the Duesenberg J 437 Weymann 'taper-tail' among those photos?  We'd love to see them!

In a race down a straight line I think I would take the Duesenberg....but then again I could have fun with either one of them.

36415277-D7A5-4D7E-AF3D-92639BC8C4BF.png

26CF8536-0820-45B6-94DF-7E5DFB13CE00.jpeg

Just beat up old race cars. Do you think that the cars had ashtrays?

ADA0D1B5-1639-4EC7-AD53-88293FB8D79C.jpeg

• Like 2