Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, hook said:

Walt,

Here's one to go with your Purina truck. This was taken in Seaford Delaware in 1919. I leased this building in the 1970's. It was built in 1898 and raised by the State in the mid 1980's.

Bill

Enterprise mill circa 1919.jpg

Bill, WOW love this, think of the talent and artistry to be able to paint that lettering on - get it even, straight etc. No computer generated images as a guide line. Thanks.Walt

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 3:00 PM, twin6 said:

Here's one for those who fancy long bonnets.  Supposed to be a c. 1907 Gearless. Quite the contrast to the CGV landaulet.

Gearless c 1907.jpg

Gearless Automobile | Just American Automobiles

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

This is actually a period shot taken when the car was new.   You can always pick out a Duesenberg II by the 18" wheels vs the 19".

DuesenbergII.jpg

I see a modern car in the background, so it was not taken when the Duesenberg was new.

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

I see a modern car in the background, so it was not taken when the Duesenberg was new.

But it was.   The 18" inch wheels indicate Duesenberg II made in 1984.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, twin6 said:

BLC.jpg

OK, that load may say Lumber Co. but I have a feeling that they are a load of large paper bags that a insurance company will be giving out in the flea market at the next Hershey show in October so that we can all take several to fill with all the stuff we want to buy that we haven't been able to for over a year. I know I have several friends who just read that and are thinking 'how does he come up with that kind of thought/stuff ?' Answer is my brain has always been in overdrive and thinking out of the box. 🙄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Walt G said:

If you buy a copy you will watch it over and over again. I bought a copy last year so I could do that. Before you sit down to watch it make sure you go out and buy a cheesecake so you will have something to eat while watching it. I know that Dave would agree with me that it would be the best thing to do.

More on that movie - some cars not yet identified - IMCDb.org: "All Through the Night, 1942": cars, bikes, trucks and other vehicles

• Like 1

What is with the headlights?  I have never seen lights like that before.  The sad and unsafe right front tire is really a sight to see.  There has been a lot of photos in this thread showing worn tires but this one is a prize winner.  The front fenders are definitely minimal.  Does anyone know the make of this car?

fast.thumb.JPG.db1f7a6fd773036dd14bd6bcc3b7f9b7.jpg

15 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

It is an American Underslung.

Yes it's an American Underslung 1913. It was taken in 1918 When my Aunt was 17 and seeing the boy that owned it. Here's a picture of a restored one. Real sharp car.

1913 American underslung.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

what does Duesenberg have to do with it? 

Not much but 99.9% of the world,  including most of this forum would think that car was real.   But now that I've given everybody the tell on this thread you can all act smart like me.  😉

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Not much but 99.9% of the world,  including most of this forum would think that car was real.   But now that I've given everybody the tell on this thread you can all act smart like me.  😉

I still would still find room for it in the garage if I could afford it in the first place! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hook said:

You want a stress reliever? Let me have one of these today. The first car I ever drove, I was 14 and this was my brother's 54 vet.

54 Vet.jpg

Your brother had a pretty cool ride.  This is what I was driving until I got my GTO running.  Amazingly I had a good looking girlfriend somehow.

1949-plymouth-special-deluxe.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

To get back to some black & white earlier images/photographs here is two more images from the ca. 1928 Rolls Royce of New York used car folder , plus the Ford model T chassis and flying passengers is of the APAA Auto-Polo Association of America. This was from their program for 1913 ( it was founded in 1913). They had a field on Stewart Avenue in Garden City, N.Y. where they would play polo but rather then use a horse used a car with a roll cage ( literally, if they rolled over it prevented them from being crushed)

President was Hicks Arnold Weatherbee ( any relation Mark?) and on the "Board of Control" was racer Harry Harkness.

More "different" stuff from my library /archives. The program for the event that took place on July 4 and 5 , 1913 has some really interesting advertisement that set the attitude and pace of that era just before WWI. Access to long island was not via the several bridges that are now taken for granted, they were not there. Main advertised access was via the Ferry for Autos Across Long Island Sound between Rye and Sea Cliff, N.Y. ( Rye was in Westchester County north of NY City and Sea Cliff was and is on the north shore of long island near Glen Cove. )

RR TILBURYmayfair.jpg

AUTPOPoloassnphoto001.jpg

AutoPOLOprogram cover001.jpg

AutoPOLOprogramPag10005.jpg

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I don't really focus on Ford Company stuff , but have some cool and interesting European Ford and Lincoln sales  material.  So here is a Ford item from 1933 that was in the in house spiral bound magazine issued by Ford of France in 1933. Maybe the topic "Yanks in Europe" would be a good subject for a seminar or a talk or better yet in a print publication.  Just so much stuff never seen since it was new .

FORDFranceKIDS1933001.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

It was just another day workin' in the junkyard with a John Henry size hammer.  Hopefully that beautiful Chrysler roadster wasn't next.

Junkyard 020.jpg

No harm no foul on the Renault.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

Help me out here.  Buick?  Attractive sedan whatever it is.

BuickMaybe.jpg

A 1946-'47 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Ninety Series (98 Series).  The same GM C-Bpdies shared with Buick Super and Roadmaster and Cadillac Series 62.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1