Jump to content

Period images to relieve some of the stress


Walt G

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Interesting accident photo, automobile not identified, sourced to the City of Toronto Archives.

c99f955a32f5021a0a1bbce62aa7c35f.jpg

 

 

That photo has been around the internet for a long time now. Often discussed. It is actually one of the rarest of all model T Fords as far as actual factory built cars go! It is one of at least four variations of the 'removeable pillars' 'couplet' cars built from mid 1917 through 1918. And this is the rarest variation with its padded high roof line. There may or may not have been a few non-padded similar roof line cars (I have serious doubts Ford built any that way, all era photos of the high roof line couplets that I have seen seem to show the padded top?). The other three+/- variations 1917 and 1918 couplets had basically flat roof lines. All of those variations had windows in the doors and body that lowered all the way down, and the B pillars could be removed and stored under/behind the seat. This gave a feeling more like an open runabout with the top up than the later fixed pillar coupes did.

I have never been sure just when this variation was built, but generally believe it was during 1917 model year (Ford rarely made changes that complicated manufacture!), most likely soon after the folding top couplet was discontinued mid-year. Regardless, this variation was manufactured likely less than three months! At least one, and I think maybe two of these survive. Only about ten to twelve total survive of the little more than year and a half production of removeable pillar Ford couplets.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

Not that long ago but I guess we should respect those who can keep the same car, and the same woman. 

 

May be an image of 4 people, car and outdoors

 

That is awesome on a number of accounts.   But he needs to go back to the Cragar SS mags.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

 

I have never been sure just when this variation was built, but generally believe it was during 1917 model year (Ford rarely made changes that complicated manufacture!), most likely soon after the folding top couplet was discontinued mid-year. Regardless, this variation was manufactured likely less than three months! At least one, and I think maybe two of these survive. Only about ten to twelve total survive of the little more than year and a half production of removeable pillar Ford couplets.

Here's one of the surviving examples. It once belonged to a doctor, who was the brother of E.P.Taylor. The story goes that whenever the good doctor's wife wished to ride in it, he had to slide down the windows and remove the pillars so that she could climb in without removing her huge flowery hat ! After she was safely inside, he had to reassemble it. The pictures were taken in the mid-seventies, and the car is safely stored in it's own special-built garage.

1918 Ford T Couplet.jpg

1918 Ford Couplet 2.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

Here's one of the surviving examples. It once belonged to a doctor, who was the brother of E.P.Taylor. The story goes that whenever the good doctor's wife wished to ride in it, he had to slide down the windows and remove the pillars so that she could climb in without removing her huge flowery hat ! After she was safely inside, he had to reassemble it. The pictures were taken in the mid-seventies, and the car is safely stored in it's own special-built garage.

1918 Ford T Couplet.jpg

1918 Ford Couplet 2.jpg

 

 

Ed's cheer-leading aside,  I have never had any interest in a Model T.  Until now.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Vaseux Lake, British Columbia, a 1913(?) Cadillac. From the Old Kelowna fb page.

 

May be an image of 4 people and outdoors

The famous Vaseux Lake overhang on Highway 97 near Penticton, British Columbia.  For obvious reasons it was removed in 1937, but not before countless photos similar to this one had been taken.  Something needs to be done about the blind corner in the background, though.  It is still claiming victims.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dictator27 said:

The famous Vaseux Lake overhang on Highway 97 near Penticton, British Columbia.  For obvious reasons it was removed in 1937, but not before countless photos similar to this one had been taken.  Something needs to be done about the blind corner in the background, though.  It is still claiming victims.

 

Something similar to this is Hawks Crag on the Buller River in Westland in New Zealand. It is probably one of the most photographed sections of road in the country. It was initially excavated in 1869 during the gold rush days and has remained much the same but with gradual improvements ever since.

 

 

1.jpg

1a.jpg

 

 

2.jpg

 

 

1916

3.jpg

 

An Oldsmobile Viking in the 1930s

4.jpg

 

Big trucks use it regularly - this one is a mobile surgical unit.

5.jpg

 

The river floods occasionally - this one is from 1993.

 

6.jpg

2a.jpg

 

Edit - a 1953 photo. From the look of the damage to the railing there had been another flood through not long before.

 

 

4a.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another feature in the Buller Gorge was Fern Arch. It was widened and 'daylighted' many years ago but is still very narrow and controlled by traffic lights. The arch was damaged in the big earthquake that hit the area in 1929 and was demolished in 1937.

 

 

 

 

fern arch 1.jpg

fern arch 2.jpg

 

A 1906 postcard.

fern arch 3 1906.jpg

 

This last photo is very small but the county registration plate says the photo date is not later than 1925.

fern arch 4.jpg

 

In 2019 someone stole the traffic lights - 

 

Lower Buller Gorge traffic signals stolen at Fern Arch, SH6 | Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency (nzta.govt.nz)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

Here's one of the surviving examples. It once belonged to a doctor, who was the brother of E.P.Taylor. The story goes that whenever the good doctor's wife wished to ride in it, he had to slide down the windows and remove the pillars so that she could climb in without removing her huge flowery hat ! After she was safely inside, he had to reassemble it. The pictures were taken in the mid-seventies, and the car is safely stored in it's own special-built garage.

1918 Ford T Couplet.jpg

1918 Ford Couplet 2.jpg

I am curious to know if anyone knows of one of these whose history traces to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan in the 80s. When I was younger there was a model t coupe with a removable pillar in a local collection that sold at auction in the mid-late 80s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2021 at 9:09 AM, Walt G said:

A few more to start the week off: The Cadillac phaeton was for sale as a used car by the R-R dealership in New York City approximately in 1928.

The town car is a Citroen model B2 dating from 1921, note how small the wheels are .

The panel body on the rolling platform would be mounted on a Packard model 115 chassis produced in 1937. This was the way bodies got moved around from place to place when at a coach builder .

Even after a year the momentum and purpose of this thread doesn't seem to be slowing down any , a few of you still want to check out what is here being contributed by

some great people who take the time and make the effort to share things with us. Keep well everyone and pray that everyone stays well and life can return to all the good

things we took for granted before. PLUS we all need a weeks dose of THE BIG H  in October!😉

Cadillacpheaton 1926RRfldr.jpg

CItroen1921towncar001.jpg

Packard19 37Panelbody115001.jpg

Walt, would you have a picture of the finished car?  Interesting body.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe 35 years ago I went through a 15 minute phase of wanting a Nash Metropolitan.  Dragged my girlfriend with me to look at a couple.   Thank god they looked like this and I passed.    For some reason I had moved off my Packard Caribbean phase went to Nash, stopped briefly on Corvette before going full musclecar for 15 years.

NashInJunkYard.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A.J. hummmmmm  my definition of a "muscle car" has always been a car of the 1929 and earlier era that had manual steering , was low on air in the front tires and was hard to steer because of that ..................................🥴

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Walt G said:

A.J. hummmmmm  my definition of a "muscle car" has always been a car of the 1929 and earlier era that had manual steering , was low on air in the front tires and was hard to steer because of that ..................................🥴

Or a car with a Knight sleeve-valve engine you had to start by hand.

 

Craig

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, John S. said:

Walt, would you have a picture of the finished car?  Interesting body.

John, someplace here in this thread there is a photo of the finished Packard panel truck but I can not tell you what page it is on ! I sort of recall it may be within the past 50 pages or so but then again ..........................

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Walt G said:

John, someplace here in this thread there is a photo of the finished Packard panel truck but I can not tell you what page it is on ! I sort of recall it may be within the past 50 pages or so but then again ..........................

See what YOU started?

 

But we are all thankful for it!!!

 

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Craig my friend - What I started ! who me!    Well, the way I recall it now, is I can picture myself quoting Red Skelton at the time I did start it  "If I dood it I get a whippin.... I dood it!"  and then knowing that an urgent e mail from the HQ of a national antique car club located in Chocolate town , Pa. would appear from their shy CEO, and  would quote Oliver Hardy and say " Here's another fine mess you've gotten us into" !  And I assure you that is the way this all got started........................😇

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if this is a good fit for this thread as it is slightly more modern than most of the others, so remove it if it is doesn't fit. The picture was taken in the mid 1990s. The car is a 1963 Morgan Plus 4. The tunnel is the Gilman Tunnel, blasted out of rock in the 1920s for a railroad spur line built for logging (Santa Fe Northwestern Railroad). It is near the town of Jemez Springs, New Mexico. The river shown in the next picture is the Guadalupe River and is just to the right of the car as viewed.

Phil

P1010008.JPG

P1010007.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2021 at 1:03 AM, alsancle said:

This made me laugh so I had to post it.

JagDragRacing.jpg

This the first time I’ve seen a car in this thread that have actually owned , if that is a mk9  jag , which I had in late 80s , mine was slightly different had filled in wheel arches , was lovely car 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...