Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

You are very welcome, my pleasure to share the photos from that really obscure sales folder. There are 18 photos of cars shown that were for sale and 8 of those are R-R ( all Silver Ghost)

It reflects the level of cars that were imported in that era and in the Metropolitan NY area. I am positive that some of the cars came from major cities like Philadelphia, Hartford,  and Boston , as the areas around those cities had the clientele that could afford that level of cars.

Let's hope that next year the AACA annual meeting will once again be in Philadelphia and I can give a talk ( yes with lots of period photographs and images) on coach builders. I did that for the CCCA at some of their annual meetings a few years ago .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Gov. Martin G. Brumbaugh of Pennsylvania with a 1915 Packard limousine. Big car.

1915 MGB.jpg

Note how short the chauffeur and footman are compared to the Governor. This was typical, all the room in chauffeured cars was provided for the owner of the car - in the back. Up front it was really tight quarters and usually the front seat was not adjustable. I love town cars,( enclosed drive limousines etc) and owned one for over 10 years and was in denial for the entire time that I fit well enough to be comfortable driving it. I was to long in leg. I also have a chauffeurs uniform from the 1920s, plus the stiff  leather chaps that you see here they are wearing that cover the lower leg from the shoe to the knee, looks great - yes, and it feels like you have your lower leg wrapped in a piece of sheet steel. That is not stated to amuse- it is a fact.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Walt, your postings of the used prestige cars by the Rolls-Royce dealer is educational.  It is interesting to learn the amount of "beating" the former owner took in order to acquire more prestige with a more expensive car.  Thank you for the postings.

IF the owner owned a business such as a steel mill, he would have purchased it through his company, and not taken any beating at all.  Uncle Sam would take the beating in the form of the owner writing off depreciation, insurance, etc., in taxes.

Craig 

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

plus the stiff  leather chaps that you see here they are wearing that cover the lower leg from the shoe to the knee, looks great - yes, and it feels like you have your lower leg wrapped in a piece of sheet steel. That is not stated to amuse- it is a fact.

Those were also often called 'puttees' or 'leather puttees' back in the day. Technically, and the origin of the term, 'puttee' is the cloth wrapping that began at the top of the shoe and was tied up below the knee, as worn by foot soldiers around the world about a hundred years ago. However the term was also applied to the leather leggings (another term also used for those shown in the photo) that served the same purpose.

I have several original era pair of leggings/puttees and have worn them many times years ago. You are correct about them feeling like having your lower legs "wrapped in a piece of sheet steel". But wear them enough, and you get used to it.

Wearing authentic era clothing with your antique automobiles is a whole another education. Ever watch an era silent film, and notice how people walk funny? See how they stiffly shift their balance from one foot to the other as they walk? Wear hard leather sole shoes along with garters and a three piece suit with a tight vest for a day or two, and you may know why they walked that way!

I have also worn the cloth wrappings with my World War 1 army uniform for parades and such.

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is a 1930 Franklin series 145 sedan ( possibly a series 147 the longer wheelbase but at this angle it is difficult to determine)  that was in a sales publication from Europe. The car is equipped with Marchal headlamps that have a crown/crest at the top of the rim of the lamp, and larger parking lamps on the top of the fenders as well as turn signals ( trafficators in the UK) fitted to the front door/windshield posts. That is an oval shield mounted to the center of the headlamp license plate bracket that also has a grown shape mounted to it so the car was part of the royal fleet of cars. Car is left had drive not right. The bumper medallion up front in the center has a image of an airplane cast into it and in the USA was usually fitted to the rear bumper of the similar Franklins sold there. Dark color on the car but with what appears to be a bright color on the belt line molding.

I am posting this here rather then the Franklin designated area of the forums because that seems to be a bit sleepy seeing minor "traffic" so far as views and interest, or even contributions .

FRANKLIN1930europe001.jpg

• Like 8

From The Movie, "All Through The Night" (1942). 

Starring Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre, William Demarest , Jackie Gleason and others.

One Of My Favorite Bogart movies after, "The Maltese Falcon" and "Casablanca".

All Through the Night (film) - Wikipedia

All Through The Night.jpg

All Through The Night 2.jpg

All Through The Night 1940 Buick Limited.jpg

All Through The Night 1.jpg

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

From The Movie, "All Through The Night" (1942). 

Starring Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre, William Demarest , Jackie Gleason and others.

One Of My Favorite Bogart movies after, "The Maltese Falcon" and "Casablanca".

All Through the Night (film) - Wikipedia

12 minutes ago, Walt G said:

One of my favorite movies as well, amazing cars , and a film that many have never seen.

And some of us have never heard of. Just looked it up on IMDB and watched the trailer there. Looks like a movie I'd like to see but it does not seem to be on any of the streaming services I currently subscribe to nor at my local library. I guess I'll have to buy a copy.

• Like 1

If you buy a copy you will watch it over and over again. I bought a copy last year so I could do that. Before you sit down to watch it make sure you go out and buy a cheesecake so you will have something to eat while watching it. I know that Dave would agree with me that it would be the best thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Walt G said:

Let's hope that next year the AACA annual meeting will once again be in Philadelphia and I can give a talk ( yes with lots of period photographs and images) on coach builders. I did that for the CCCA at some of their annual meetings a few years ago .

I don't normally go to the meetings, but for that I would make an exception. I enjoy your photos and stories about the fine old classics.

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Walt,

Here's one to go with your Purina truck. This was taken in Seaford Delaware in 1919. I leased this building in the 1970's. It was built in 1898 and raised by the State in the mid 1980's.

Bill

Enterprise mill circa 1919.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hook said:

Walt,

Here's one to go with your Purina truck. This was taken in Seaford Delaware in 1919. I leased this building in the 1970's. It was built in 1898 and raised by the State in the mid 1980's.

Bill

Enterprise mill circa 1919.jpg

Bill, WOW love this, think of the talent and artistry to be able to paint that lettering on - get it even, straight etc. No computer generated images as a guide line. Thanks.Walt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

This is actually a period shot taken when the car was new.   You can always pick out a Duesenberg II by the 18" wheels vs the 19".

DuesenbergII.jpg

I see a modern car in the background, so it was not taken when the Duesenberg was new.

55 minutes ago, twin6 said:

BLC.jpg

OK, that load may say Lumber Co. but I have a feeling that they are a load of large paper bags that a insurance company will be giving out in the flea market at the next Hershey show in October so that we can all take several to fill with all the stuff we want to buy that we haven't been able to for over a year. I know I have several friends who just read that and are thinking 'how does he come up with that kind of thought/stuff ?' Answer is my brain has always been in overdrive and thinking out of the box. 🙄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Walt G said:

If you buy a copy you will watch it over and over again. I bought a copy last year so I could do that. Before you sit down to watch it make sure you go out and buy a cheesecake so you will have something to eat while watching it. I know that Dave would agree with me that it would be the best thing to do.

More on that movie - some cars not yet identified - IMCDb.org: "All Through the Night, 1942": cars, bikes, trucks and other vehicles

• Like 1

10 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Oh....silly me. I missed the "II" part!

what does Duesenberg have to do with it? 

• Like 1

What is with the headlights?  I have never seen lights like that before.  The sad and unsafe right front tire is really a sight to see.  There has been a lot of photos in this thread showing worn tires but this one is a prize winner.  The front fenders are definitely minimal.  Does anyone know the make of this car?

fast.thumb.JPG.db1f7a6fd773036dd14bd6bcc3b7f9b7.jpg