Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

17 hours ago, alsancle said:

Ed,  ever seen this one?

SilverArrowPierodShot.jpg

Yes, the doctor.......and his posse. The car is still in its muddy two tone barf brown.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Yes, the doctor.......and his posse. The car is still in its muddy two tone barf brown.

The back of it says "Director Alfred Werker and some of the girls appearing in the movie 'It is Great to Be Alive' along with the car".

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The back of it says "Director Alfred Werker and some of the girls appearing in the movie 'It is Great to Be Alive' along with the car".

My fault.......I didn’t look close enough. It’s not the guy, and probably not the car I thought it was. That said, it’s still barf brown.

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2021 at 10:49 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.  I concur, those appear to be in common.  I concentrated more on the unusual molding, beltline and window treatment.  Where the Willoughby attribution arose is from Fred Roe's Duesenberg text, page 152, center photo, the J-#### is unknown.  It appears to have a V-windshield and header of similar style, though photographed angle makes it hard to tell for certain.   Roe noted: "Hollywood actor Frank Morgan was photographed with the car for tire company endorsements."   We will have to find those advertisements to compare.

Duesenber J-547-2527 Rollston Prince of Wales.jpg

'31 Pierce-Arrow sport sedan by Rollston.png

This is the Duesenberg J sedan I was referencing in the Fred Roe Duesenberg text, the car in the tire company advertisement with Frank Morgan.  Note the reflection of the upswept molding on the quarters, the V-windshield and header, belt molding separate from that on the hood which sweeps down to the door sills.

Pierce-Arrow & Duesenberg J Used Cars.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

166016007_10159647138992189_931742696834928036_n.jpg

A photo taken in Hastings, New Zealand, of the new Pierce-Arrow imported by The Tourist Motor Company for local tobacco magnate Gerhard Husheer. He bought three Studebaker Presidents and two Pierce-Arrows during the early/mid 1930s. I think all five cars have survived but I would would have to check on that. The subject was discussed a few years ago on a local facebook page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

This is the Duesenberg J sedan I was referencing in the Fred Roe Duesenberg text, the car in the tire company advertisement with Frank Morgan.  Note the reflection of the upswept molding on the quarters, the V-windshield and header, belt molding separate from that on the hood which sweeps down to the door sills.

Pierce-Arrow & Duesenberg J Used Cars.jpg

There hopefully will be a history of the Willoughby Company done within the next year or so. I have the company photographs albums of the vehicles they built ( commercial vehicle bodies as well for local businesses) that were the personal property of Francis Willoughby ( mostly in the 1913-29 era) and signed as his in his hand in ink. The photographs in the albums to some extent also show how the structural woodwork was framed) Plus the information, ads, etc. of the company that they were based on in Utica, NY. in their very early years. The original factory plant that was 3 stories tall has been reduced to a one story building.

• Like 3