Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Mercer's are tough.......too many dealers took a single good car and made three out of them.........and now the story is they are "all original". I am sure there are a few guys out there that really follow them, and know most of the true histories, but with such large numbers involved, very often the truth can't or won't be told. Like all the 1934 Packard coupe roadsters that went from 8's to 12's.

• Like 1

Just now, edinmass said:

Mercer's are tough.......too many dealers took a single good car and made three bastards out of them.........and now the story is they are "all original". I am sure there are a few guys out there that really follow them, and know most of the true histories, but with such large numbers involved, very often the truth can't or won't be told. Like all the 1934 Packard coupe roadsters that went from 8's to 12's.

A good friend that worked in the trade called that practice "55 gallon drum jobs" 4,8, or 12 depending on how many Packard series were getting body swaps. Drums and some 4x4's allowed the chassis to roll out from one and under another. The small series four doors must be a tough sale today. Bob 

On 4/14/2020 at 5:40 PM, Matt Harwood said:

On the other hand, look at the oddball way they ran the exhaust manifold out of the hood. How was that achieved? Spacers on the block to push the manifold outboard?I believe there's a similar Duesenberg Victoria with a made-up body on it (they credit it to F&D but I think the car used to be a sedan or a limousine) with that same exhaust manifold setup--was that a Fernandez & Darrin thing?

The exterior one piece exhaust only appears on a few cars and is a masterful example of welding - no spacers or ... and not unique to a certain coach-builder.

1995014272_image(1).thumb.jpg.40652d96a30d20246b191891edb3d311.jpg

2059168876_image(2).thumb.jpg.374d58c842960ad3220f792c58e882b4.jpg

1478830315_image(3).thumb.jpg.fe0ca952c48b6a861fa1279b8993d063.jpg

1033046921_image(4).thumb.jpg.5c3b7c55bb71d7f7d6422de6489fe0b8.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Matheson_glass1.thumb.jpg.b650c6a326fd5fbeb8dd28d0d1e6fdec.jpg

Collection of the Charles River Museum of Industry

More Matheson - a Silent Six with a glass hood. Apparently it was a demonstrator gimmick - the car was so quiet that you needed to be able to look inside to know it was running.

1912-01-10_BridgeportCTEvFarmer.jpg.e1ba7759ca2d02ba3a161e44d89bd0dd.jpg

And a different glass-hood Matheson -

Matheson_glass2.thumb.jpg.22ed21708af0c6e5ea6ee8cf337756f5.jpg

Matheson_glass3.thumb.jpg.56e8ebb46e4a53048229eef3446aa056.jpg

This photo was actually taken on Jul 28, 1911, during a massive multi-day Massachusetts militia maneuver simulating an attack on Boston.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JRHaelig

• '39 Buick Team Member
  •  
  • JRHaelig

In honor of what would have been my Mom's birthday today I wanted to post a photo of her next to what I think is a 1941 Studebaker President.

I've seen it in color home movies of the day and know that it was tan and brown and took the family from NJ to Yellowstone as late as 1948 or 49.  If I remember the story correctly my Grandfather got a carb adjustment while he was out there to deal with the higher elevation.

This photo was taken in  '42 or '43 at a cottage at the Jersey shore.

Studebaker.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanleyRegister said:

Matheson_glass1.thumb.jpg.b650c6a326fd5fbeb8dd28d0d1e6fdec.jpg

More Matheson - a Silent Six with a glass hood.  Apparently it was a demonstrator gimmick - the car was so quiet that you needed to be able to look inside to know it was running.

Reminds me of this car: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2011154/Worlds-remaining-Ghost-Car-headed-auction--incredible-images-Plexiglas-Pontiac-expected-fetch-500-000.html

Craig

• Like 1

J542 (I assume) at Callaway Gardens 1975. In this photo it has body color wire wheels, a light colored top and extra driving lights that are not seen on the previous photo. Which version is later?

106487448_Duesenberg1.thumb.jpg.1b2d373bf59a31f3cbbbab4aa5177293.jpg

216428795_Duesenberg2.thumb.jpg.0b3cfb5bb14c24624ac147944a84bd05.jpg

Don

Edited by DLynskey
More details (see edit history)

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

1929 Duesenberg J140-2166 Convertible Sedan by Murphy

Early car converted to radiator shutters,  skirted fenders and 17 inch wheels.  Hubcaps make it look OK to me,  but I would prefer the original fenders, radiator and wheels. And yeah,  I know this is a sedan.

model a duesenberg | Search Results | The Old Motor | Page 4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here are some pictures I took at a car show in Morrisvile, NJ in the summer of 1965.  I went with my friend Sid Bloom (bottom left of photo below) to see his father Morty Bloom's Packard which had recently been restored.  Morty is standing on the right.  There were lots of great cars, including a Darrin-bodied Rolls that was supposed to have been used in a Cary Grant movie.  Did anyone know Morty Bloom or what became of his cars?  Sid's sister drove a light blue '53 Packard that had a '37 grille welded on the front - the hood was so heavy it needed a power lift mechanism.  The Kodachrome slides have held their color for all these years.

1257792508_MortyBloomfamilyPackardsm.jpg.1fa3f4d2e8e77f0f2eb8f9712c85c285.jpg

Sid Bloom, Sid's sister, Mrs. Bloom, Morty Bloom in front, some guys whose names I don't remember in back.

1749299838_Packard-MortyBloom-Morrisville1965sm.jpg.0b540b0782fd4865ff4f59ae68015c0b.jpg

Morty Bloom's car

1702394590_Morrisville1965carssm.jpg.6714acafe6ea23e39e32246295805431.jpg

Cars at Morrisvile, NJ show, 1965

1460011378_Rolls-DarrinbodyMorrisville1965sm.jpg.9dca69cfb38288580e54eaf1d6c7594f.jpg

Darrin-bodied Rolls, possibly in Cary Grant movie.

2059569641_Rolls2-Morrisville1965sm.jpg.d1c654887db3dd4ca5e8aa545440b93c.jpg

Another Rolls

1650110777_Mercedesroadster-Morrisville1965sm.jpg.a8bd2e83cfc51016b1e8b95beb31e317.jpg

Mercedes roadster

333292828_Bugatti-Morrisville1965sm.jpg.e006163a743bf0b4d396d3f2708cf9fc.jpg

A Bugatti, of course.

1076385570_Cordsm.jpg.44b56701f75939c173e432832f5e71da.jpg

A nice Cord.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

The Rolls is Hubbard & Darrin... and I think it’s in a collection on the west coast.

Not that I want to correct you publicly, Ed,  but I think it is straight Darrin (EDIT or F&D). A great car and it is in a collection with lots of other Rolls Royces.

Gear Head Tuesday – Designer Dutch Darrin | '56 Packard Man

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

Public correction is fine... I have never seen any “straight Darrin” except a Packard. As my wife often comments to me...

”Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.” 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

A photo from probably late 1960's or early 1970's

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Holy cow that's a good-looking car! I don't think I've ever seen an L-29 dual cowl phaeton, they're all convertible coupes and sedans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Here are some pictures I took at a car show in Morrisvile, NJ in the summer of 1965.  I went with my friend Sid Bloom (bottom left of photo below) to see his father Morty Bloom's Packard which had recently been restored.  Morty is standing on the right.  There were lots of great cars, including a Darrin-bodied Rolls that was supposed to have been used in a Cary Grant movie.  Did anyone know Morty Bloom or what became of his cars?  Sid's sister drove a light blue '53 Packard that had a '37 grille welded on the front - the hood was so heavy it needed a power lift mechanism.  The Kodachrome slides have held their color for all these years.

1257792508_MortyBloomfamilyPackardsm.jpg.1fa3f4d2e8e77f0f2eb8f9712c85c285.jpg

Sid Bloom, Sid's sister, Mrs. Bloom, Morty Bloom in front, some guys whose names I don't remember in back.

If ever there was a guy who should be named Morty, that's him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gary and all who are reading this. In the 3rd photo down that you provided at the car show the first car you see is a tan touring car with wood wheels  and side mounted spare tires. That car is a 1929 Franklin series 13 model 137 , 7 passenger touring car and was owned by my friend Carl Fregonese of NJ.  Carl and his wife would drive that car all over the place. I believe he found and bought the car here on long island  , he also owned a 1929 Auburn conv sedan that he found here in Floral Park where I live about a mile north of me several blocks north of Jericho Turnpike . Carl was a fine gentleman kinda quiet, and that Franklin of his was one sweet automobile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Gary and all who are reading this. In the 3rd photo down that you provided at the car show the first car you see is a tan touring car with wood wheels  and side mounted spare tires. That car is a 1929 Franklin series 13 model 137 , 7 passenger touring car and was owned by my friend Carl Fregonese of NJ.  Carl and his wife would drive that car all over the place. I believe he found and bought the car here on long island  , he also owned a 1929 Auburn conv sedan that he found here in Floral Park where I live about a mile north of me several blocks north of Jericho Turnpike . Carl was a fine gentleman kinda quiet, and that Franklin of his was one sweet automobile.

It impressed a 10 year old in 1961, the third photo I ever took at the Ridgefield Meet. Was the Auburn cream with green wheels & trim? Bob 

DSCF6245.JPG

• Like 1

WOW !!! Impressive indeed, Bob. To my eyes, that is the best looking Franklin I have ever seen a picture of. Those stout wood spokes are just perfect with their blackwall tires. Thanks for posting. I always enjoy your contributions here. You'uns with your 50, 60, 70 years in the epicenter of the hobby, have such natural insight into Classic, Pre-Classic, and Antique cars ! Particularly guys like you and Walt, and others with so much archived material you can personally draw from.      Very cool !         -     Carl 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DLynskey said:

J542 (I assume) at Callaway Gardens 1975. In this photo it has body color wire wheels, a light colored top and extra driving lights that are not seen on the previous photo. Which version is later?

106487448_Duesenberg1.thumb.jpg.1b2d373bf59a31f3cbbbab4aa5177293.jpg

216428795_Duesenberg2.thumb.jpg.0b3cfb5bb14c24624ac147944a84bd05.jpg

Don

J542 was added to the Cofer Collection in 1967, around the time of this image. I later underwent a lengthy restoration that resulted

in the black top and chromed wheels.

Image may contain: car

In the '50's to some point in the '60's it was two-toned with a black top as seen here.

2062882662_J-542-2567Coachbuild1950s.jpg.eeba66e58418220df98745658222e0b3.jpg

Same time frame and colors as in this 1957 CCCA Caravan film...

2084961531_35SJFlint7.jpg.65190adfa41e122a3c59222f17eb749b.jpg

664126397_35SJFlint6.jpg.e28d4402d6ef443bed156db7f16ff777.jpg

The film is a pretty cool thing to watch, by the way...

Enjoy, 

TG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Matt:

I didn't know Morty Bloom well, as I was a friend of his son Sid in Philadelphia in the summer of 1965.  We were 21 years old then, looking for dates at the U. of Penn. nursing school in west Philly.  What I heard of Morty was that he was a dedicated Packard fanatic, and maybe a mensch.  His son Sid talked of how his father bought 10 matched hides to upholster the car and how his father had sat in front of the TV evenings stringing nuts, bolts, and washers from a bucket onto a long copper wire to send to the chrome platers.  Fancy antique cars were new to me then, but I was impressed.  Morty would restore a car, show it for top awards for a year or two, then drive it on tours and around town (W. Orange, NJ?)  as he restored the next car.  Sounds like a good plan to me, even now.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

Bob, yes I believe that the Auburn conv. sedan Carl Fregonese had was cream with green wheels and trim. That Franklin 7 passenger touring was a very impressive car. Had trippe lights on it but no other "lamp" accessories like running board spotlights or spotlights mounted at the windshield base. It may have eventually had white wall tires but that was late in life  of Carl's ownership. The headlamps were Ryan lights that were standard equipment on the larger Franklin in 1929 and had headlamp lenses that bulged out past the rims. The wood wheels were just right too, spokes not to long and narrow to look like a wagon, and the natural varnished wheels matched the color scheme really well. There were two styles of wood wheels in 1929 for Franklin and this is the more attractive of the two. Carl was an excellent mechanic so the car ran better then it looked !!! 

Carl, thank you for the compliment, we like to share what we have, have no reason to be miserly about what we have collected over the decades - but there are people like that , who need to have what they see as a one step up over everyone else so afar as information or images go, why? makes them feel superior or more important? For 32 years I shared what I had with CCCA , now it is with Hemmings Classic Car readers and here on the wonderful AACA forums. I am happy to have the opportunity to do so.

Walt

• Like 1

Walt, I think this is the Auburn in question at Ridgefield in 1966.

Carl, Thank you for the kind words if it wasn't for the AACA Forum I wouldn't have a place to share the stuff that I've collected. Nobody ever showed up on my door step asking to see the Ridgefield album. I lent a book out once, never saw it again, but did buy a replacement. Have you ever noticed how some people turn a page, that will also end letting some people even know you own books. It is fun filling in the blanks on car histories, and following the line of caretakers of the cars we love. Bob 

DSCF6247.JPG

Bob, yes that is indeed the car owned by either Carl Fregonese or possibly his brother. It was a wonderful original unrestored car that as I mentioned was here in my home town that they bought and "restored" by repainting it. Today you would never repaint the same car as it was to nice an original to do so.

Why do I remember all this stuff??  I keep asking myself that , then think " because you hate to look something up twice , if I do research or see a photo , it just gets filed in my head who, what , where, when.

That annual meet at Ridgefield, Ct. was the best pre WWII era car show in the NE section of the USA. SO many great cars would show up. I still recall a totally original 1935 Oldsmobile conv coupe that just stopped you in your tracks when you saw it that was there at least once or twice. It was one of the more modern cars to attend!

Walt

16 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Holy cow that's a good-looking car! I don't think I've ever seen an L-29 dual cowl phaeton, they're all convertible coupes and sedans.

I believe they built 2 of these Murphy Dual Cowls (each similar - see below), plus they built at least one Dual Cowl of other variety (see also below).  They also built a few different varieties in Town Cars, Coupes, at least one Convertible Victoria, and ....  I am an Auburn guy and did not pay too much attention probably when I should have, but today there is room in the garage for an L-29 (at least at some point) - everyone say "open car", though I always like a good original Sedan and Brougham. 

1930 Cord L-29 photograph

1930 Cord L-29 photograph

m06-30cord1.jpg

2925858-1.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I took this shot of a one of a kind Graham at Cobble Beach in 2015. 

2015-09-11 cobble beach 037.JPG

2015-09-11 cobble beach 041.JPG

Leave it to Saoutchik to see the extravagant potential of the 'Spirit-of-Motion" Graham.  Wonder how LeTourneur & Marchand would have bodied one?  Or better yet, Figoni & Falaschi, pretty wild, I'd bet!

10 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

I believe they built 2 of these Murphy Dual Cowls (each similar - see below), plus they built at least one Dual Cowl of other variety (see also below).  They also built a few different varieties in Town Cars, coupes, at least one Convertible Victoria, and ....  I am an Auburn guy and did not pay too much attention probably when I should have, but today there is room in the garage for an L-29 (at least at some point) - everyone say "open car", though sort have always liked the Sedans and Broughams. 

2925858-1.jpg

Going out on a narrow limb with limb saw in hand, this phaeton is by Rollston.  Its a one-off, shown once at Hershey years ago.  Corrections?

• Like 1