Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

19 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

I forgot who posted the photo of a Brewster towncar, with a man standing beside the driver side door.  When I put a copy of that photo into my computer file of Brewsters I discovered a similar be slightly different version of the towncar.  In the photo of the Brewster with the man, the car has a painted radiator shell, the headlights are smaller size, and the tires are black wall.  In the other photo from my file, the photo is labeled "34 Brewster Town Car on Ford chassis".  This second photo shows the Brewster with a chrome radiator shell, white wall tires, and the headlights are larger, with the left headlight oriented toward the right, out of focus.

I have simply brought this forward in event a Brewster fan is interested or has other information to share.

Brewster Towncar.jpg

34 Brewster Town Car on Ford chassis.jpg

Question is, who had more distinctive cars on the New York City avenues then?  Brewster or Checker?

Checker Taxi - Model M.jpg

1936-Checker-Y-8-Taxicab-Gilmore.jpg

4 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

58L-Y8, you have me stumped on these two car makes.  What are they?  The one has headlights that resemble parking meters.

1163114530_CheckerTaxi-ModelM.jpg.ffb1613f4599753244cda0abde0399fa[1].jpg

1936-Checker-Y-8-Taxicab-Gilmore.jpg.db3976917b39ceeea827231f957b6284[1].jpg

Both are Checkers, top one early 1930's Model M, lower one the mid-1930's Model Y.

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Distinctive and buttugly are not interchangeable. Bob 

Distinctive and butt-ugly are in the eye of the beholder!  Oh, Wait, that's supposed to be beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

BTW, take a look at how similar the Brewster town car and the Checker Model Y are in configuration and details.   Interesting, wonder if Checker might have drawn design inspiration from the Brewster.

An armored, black town car version of the Checker Model M was the personal transportation of the Chicago utilities mogul Sam Insull during the Depression in an effort to move incognito around the city in dangerous times for high-profile wealthy. 

Edited by 58L-Y8
Brewster-Checker similarity & Sam Insull Checker town car (see edit history)

1 minute ago, 58L-Y8 said:

BTW, take a look at how similar the Brewster town car and the Checker Model Y are in configuration and details.   Interesting, wonder if Checker might have drawn design inspiration from the Brewster.

How in the world did you manage to not see the nose of the Checker? 

Yes, the Checker Y mug pretty bad but the heart-shaped radiator shell, high-flying fenders and snow-plow divided bumpers aren't much better.  Distinctive, yes! 

Walt will correct me if I'm wrong, but John Inskip is credited with the Brewster frontal styling.  Something tells me he was much more deft at body design than frontal ensemble which he never had to worry about on a Rolls-Royce.

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)

Hmmm.  As far as I know, being a junior member and all, nonetheless pushing 76 years, Checker never built their own cars.  This Checker Y 8 seems to be cobbled together from several manufacturers.  The radiator shell suggests a Hupmobile, outside chance a Studebaker.  The side of the hood kind of resembles some make that I can quite remember the name of.  The top / roof of the car is unique; never have seen one like that.  The wheel hubs are definitely unique and resemble wheel weighted rears on an Allis-Chalmers tractor.  Someone must know which car company was responsible for this design.

From my experience with Checkers in the 1950s, they were built for Checker by Chevrolet.

36 Checker Y 8 Taxicab.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

5th Avenue New York City  looking north from 38th street.

5TH AVENUENYC001.jpg

Still had the double-decker Fifth Avenue Coach Company bus on 5th Ave when I was a kid during the WWII era,

and loved riding it with my father's sister who would take me from Brooklyn to Manhattan by open-air DeSoto taxicab, and then to the Horn and Hardart Automat for brunch -

all food served through little glass windows which opened when you deposited the right coins (nickels?)-

and then we walked to Rockefeller Center for a short visit, after which we crossed 50th Street to go to Radio City Music Hall.

There was always an orchestral performance, a magnificent concert organ which reverberated throughout the building and shook the concrete floor, a stage show featuring the Rockettes, and then the newest movie. By then it was time for an open-air taxicab ride back to Brooklyn.

Years later as a teenager living in New Jersey, my buddies and I would still go to "The City", and Radio City Music Hall was still fantastic !

57 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Hmmm.  As far as I know, being a junior member and all, nonetheless pushing 76 years, Checker never built their own cars.  This Checker Y 8 seems to be cobbled together from several manufacturers.  The radiator shell suggests a Hupmobile, outside chance a Studebaker.  The side of the hood kind of resembles some make that I can quite remember the name of.  The top / roof of the car is unique; never have seen one like that.  The wheel hubs are definitely unique and resemble wheel weighted rears on an Allis-Chalmers tractor.  Someone must know which car company was responsible for this design.

From my experience with Checkers in the 1950s, they were built for Checker by Chevrolet.

36 Checker Y 8 Taxicab.jpg

Checker sourced most of the powertrain and mechanical components from proprietary makers, engines from Buda, Continental, Lycoming, same for transmissions, and differentials, frames from A.O. Smith, much as any of the 'assembled' cars common in the Teen's and 1920's.   Bodies and panels were their own stampings, some outsourced and generally in-house body builds, skilled body-makers were available, Limousine Body Co. was in Kalamazoo and if I recall correctly Hayes Body had an operation there too.  Within the regions were plenty of stamping supplier of fenders, radiator shells, cast hardware, anything a company would need to build a series of cars.  Primary engineering consideration for Checkers was to over-engineer all components for rough service and/or selected parts specifically with that purpose in mind.   

For the styling, all they had to do was try to remain reasonably with current styling trends and there were plenty of designers who free-lances designs to manufactures.  Count de Sahkoffsky and even Ray Dietrich among others did so at various times.  Remember, it was pretty easy to keep those individual design service just between the company and a designer, even if he was on the staff of a major carmaker.  While individual parts may look similar to other contemporary cars, none interchange, they always had a little different look.  None of the major carmakers considered Checker any threat to their sales, Checker didn't offer a car for private passenger sales until the 1960 model year.   

As far as "built for Checker by Chevrolet",  only powertrains parts were sourced from GM/Chevrolet from 1965 on to the end in 1982.  Up through the 1964 model year, Checker still ran the old Continental 226 ci L-head six last used by Kaiser-Willys, even offered an optional OHV version of the same engine.   Checker made its own body panel stampings and did so under contract for a other carmakers including GM.  In fact, that was their last product when they closed down in 2010, if I recall correctly.  

Edited by 58L-Y8
corrected syntax errors (see edit history)

22 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Distinctive and buttugly are not interchangeable. Bob 

To be honest Bob,  the Brewster and Checker are basically the same to me.  I would not throw either out of my garage,  but both are interesting,  not attractive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

To be honest Bob,  the Brewster and Checker are basically the same to me.  I would not throw either out of my garage,  but both are interesting,  not attractive.

Some pre-war checkers are more attractive than others though.   And, I agree that most all are interesting. Unfortunately, the survival rate is the lowest of the low. 

• Like 2

With not much printed matter issued when new for the Marmon 16, I thought it perhaps appropriate to scan and post here the corner of a envelope that the San Francisco, California Marmon dealership used. There are a good number of us here that want to see anything printed or photographed of cars we admire when new, even if it is "not a big deal". that is why I have posted this here.  If you surmise that I like the odd and obscure , well you are correct.

Marmon16envelopelogo001.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, twin6 said:

Teddy Roosevelt in a twin six in a parade in Denver.

Teddy on 17th st Denver.jpg

I'm glad it appears to be a cold day, because that Twin Six wasn't going to stay cool for long with a flag over its radiator.

• Haha 1

From my friend Johan Boltendal - 1930-1931 Cadillac V-16 - as a sidenote, this car should survive and is in the Collection of His Royal Heighness, The Crown Prince of Thailand  - possibly now the King of Thailand (whose grandfather bought it new).  Car 703000, a 4291 3 Glass Limousine, Body # 13

D24008.jpg.07aabf246e0a08657486722cba6cfc2b.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1