Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

15 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I took this shot of a one of a kind Graham at Cobble Beach in 2015. 

From Velocity:

When new: from IMCDB database:  1939 Graham Supercharger [97] in L'embuscade, Movie, 1941

1939 Graham Supercharger Saoutchik Convertible 'Riviera-Sport 6 Cylindres' [97]

From Coachbuild.com 

scan_7115132853_1.jpg

saoutchikgraham 001.jpg

saoutchikgraham 002.jpg

saoutchikgraham 005.jpg

September 11, 1944, General de Lattre de Tassigny in Dijon

saoutchikgraham 004.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I would be interested to see the proof this Graham convertible was custom-bodied by Vesters & Neirinck of Brussels such as period photos.   The V & N car had a stamped steel windshield frame from the sedan, this car has the built-up frame from individual pieces.  When the side-windows are up, the door window has a square rear corner and a small quarter window fitted behind it, the V & N car has only nicely curved door windows, no small quarter windows.  This car was in a small collection in the Finger Lakes Western New York area in the 1970's, evidence of after-market construction from a four door sedan and folding top mechanism from another contemporary make car.  As they say, "a car of questionable provenance…" maybe some 'creative' attribution by an auction outfit...

Also the center grille is the 1940 only continuously sized chrome grille bars.

• Like 1

1932 Chrysler Imperial Cabriolet by Drauz for King Carol II of Romania, found in the January 1935 issue of "Overseas Graphic,"

published for foreign markets by the Chrysler Export Corporation, Detroit, MI. King Carol II had quite a stable of coachbuilt cars...

207791042_CP3511832ImperialKingCarolIICX.thumb.jpg.3805c1dd3c9fdb24b37e5796e8381f0b.jpg

"Personalities...
La SARAL, S.A., our distributors in Bucharest have kindly sent us this interesting picture of His Majesty Carol II, King of Romania,

(sitting) in his brand new Imperial Chrysler during the festivities recently held in the capital of the kingdom."

King Carol II is the man in plumed hat and moustache in the back seat of the Imperial Cabriolet by Drauz of Heilbronn, Germany.

file.php?id=74953&mode=view

A 1931 Imperial Cabriolet by Alexis Kellner of Berliin, also owned by King Carol II, as shown in the July 1932 issue of "Overseas Graphic". 

TG

• Like 2

This photo can be dated to 1927-28 by the license plate mounted on the front fender.  New Zealand introduced a national licensing system in 1925 - with new plates issued every year up to WW2 -  and this car shows it previous plate which is painted on the radiator. 

I think the car is an EMF??

The location is on the Summit Road above Christchurch, overlooking Lyttelton Harbour.

Alice Williams in front with dog and unidentified people back.jpg

Buicks photographed in 1913(?) in Christchurch, New Zealand, looking across the Avon River to the old Provincial Council buildings which dated back to the 1860s when each province had its own government. The system was abolished in 1986. The building survives although was seriously damaged in the 2011 earthquakes.

The exact location  of the photos can no longer be reached by car as that area was closed off some years ago wit the redevelopment of the adjacent square.

Buick Christchurch.jpg

Buicks, Christchurch.jpg

A 1916 photo taken in Latimer Square in Christchurch, New Zealand. It is the first V8 Cadillac to be bought new by Newman brothers of Nelson for their passenger transport service. They had been operating coaches,  and later, four cylinder Cadillacs, since the 1870s.  They would have collected this from Dexter and Croziers the local Cadillac agent. The car would have been likely to have had its body extended to carry more passengers before going into service. This photo was posted on a facebook page some time ago and the less than happy expressions of the car's occupants can be explained by them having heard the days before of the death of a family member.

Cadillac.jpg

21 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Buicks photographed in 1913(?) in Christchurch, New Zealand

Buick Christchurch.jpg

I am guessing that this is a McLaughlin-Buick as it has a right drivers door.  My '13 does not have that door and has a spare tire there with the gear shift and park brake where the door is. 

3 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

I am guessing that this is a McLaughlin-Buick as it has a right drivers door.  My '13 does not have that door and has a spare tire there with the gear shift and park brake where the door is. 

I don't see any front door hinges on that one. Did the door in front have hidden hinges?

20 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

I don't know for certain which variant it is. Buick importing was only taken over by GMNZ in the mid 1920s and from then on they all came from Flint. Up until then they were imported by independent agents and there are surviving cars from both the US and Canada.

I mentioned in an earlier post eh firm of Dexter and Crozier who were the Cadillac agents in NZ. After WW1 the price of Cadillacs rose and fewer were sold here. Croziers took on the British Austin agency which the company in its various forms retained until the 1980s. This is their building in Worcester St West in Christchurch in about 1920. They remained on this site until the 1980s, although the building was replaced post WW2. The photo features three Briscoe cars. I road tested a 1920 Briscoe  for a magazine article some years ago and found advertising for the much anticipated shipment of Briscoe cars which arrived just before Christmas 1920. That was probably the last shipment of them to come to NZ as Briscoe went under about that time. Bean was a short lived British make. 

Crozier & Dexter Ltd, importers and engineers, Christchurch.jpg

Crozier & Dexter Ltd, importers and engineers, Christchurch (2).jpg

Crozier & Dexter Ltd, importers and engineers, Christchurch (3).jpg

• Like 1

The Wolseley-Siddeley agent in Christchurch was JS Hawkes who operated from their premises in Gloucester St. To the right in the first photo, with four cars parked in front is the Theatre Royal which sort of survived the 2011 earthquakes and was considered important enough to restore, unlike about 80% of the commercial buildings in the central city which had to be demolished.

These two photos date from about 1910. The odd looking car exiting the garage in the second photo is a circa 1907 Standard.

Gloucester St,Christchurch.jpg

JS Hawkes Ltd, Gloucester St,Christchurch.jpg

• Like 2

The start of a reliability run in Christchurch about 1905. The car on the right is a Clement-Talbot and behind it an early horizontal engined Wolseley. The car on the left has not been identified. The car at the very back with the lady driver looks to be a Peugeot. 

Reliability run, Christchurch.jpg

If you will pardon a minor reminiscence drift. All the discussion of L29 Cords, and their body styles, dual cowl phaetons in particular, has me remembering the first time I saw an L29 up close. It was about 1969 (plus or minus a year?), my dad had known Jack Passey since college days, and as I was really interested in antique and early classic cars, we visited Jack at his place a few times. He told us about a (then) upcoming meet for the CCCA, I believe it was a "Grand Classic" or something like that. It was to be held not far from San Jose California, so we went on the day, just to look at the cars. There were a lot of great cars there, but the one that made the biggest impression on me was the L29 Cord Phaeton (I "think" it was a dual cowl, but it was fifty years ago!). It looked fairly original, the paint was dinged and scratched a bit, all black, but overall it was beautiful! I am not sure the color of the upholstery, but as I recall, it was nice enough.

Jack had driven down in I think a 1929 Packard roadster with one of the longest trunks I have ever seen. I know he said it was a very special model, but don't remember the specifics. There was judging at the show, but neither the L29 nor Jack's Packard were judged as I recall.

Cadillacs were popular as service cars in NZ. Newmans in Nelson ultimately ran several dozen of them over a period of about 40 years. I am not sure of the exact location of this one - it may be Reefton. A 1914 Cadillac on the right and two 1913s, all with extended bodies. 

10986914_1418231688476268_2306564301221133124_o.jpg

Hudsons and Studebakers were also popular as service cars but a few other makes were used.  This Jeffrey operating in Hawke's Bay in 1915 is the only one I have seen a photo of. The caption says the 'East Coast Run' ran from Herbertville to Dannevirke (a town named for its Danish settlers), a distance of about 40 miles. 

Jeffery on the East Coast run,1915, from Herbertville toDannevirke.jpg

nzcarnerd, A bunch of very interesting photos! I really like a lot of the English and European cars, especially in the veteran days. I will have to spend a bit more time looking these pictures over.

The model T Ford is also quite interesting. I would wonder if it would be a Canadian sourced car? Or perhaps this one came from England? There are quite a number of unusual details about it. The basic body looks like the US 1914 model, with the doors that do not quite reach the bottom of the body. The 1913 style had square bottom doors that reached clear to the bottom of the body sills. That design resulted in a week rear section on the tourer, that began breaking of the sills when the cars were only a few months old. Patches were retrofitted by Ford beginning early in calendar 1913. Ford rushed a new design with shorter doors and stronger sills. They began use of the new design by July of 1913, still sold as '13 models. All this of course based upon the US production, however, Canadian production followed design and changes fairly quickly in those days.

English production in those brass era days did somewhat their own thing. Many parts, even entire chassis, were manufactured in the US, and shipped to England. Meanwhile, many other parts were manufactured locally in England. Bodies were sometimes very similar to the US bodies, and sometimes they were quite different. Fenders, hoods, windshields, and wheels were usually made in England. English model Ts at that time usually had wooden spoke wheels (some of them with demountable rims and spokes, and carried a spare wheel), but some did have wire wheels. 

The pictured car is right hand drive (one can tell by the location of the horn and the bulb mounted onto the steering column). The curved fenders front and rear are NOT standard Ford issue for either US or Canadian production. English built model Ts sometimes had those. The windshield appears to be the 1913 style, with the upper glass that folds forward. For a few months in the US, '13 style bodies and '14 style bodies were both being assembled and sold, and either the earlier or later body could end up with either the earlier ('13) or later )'14) windshield. So the mix of the '14 body with a '13 windshield actually was not unusual.

The wire wheels. Although wire wheels are quite popular with model T owners today, they really were not that common on models Ts in the US back in the model T's days. This statement is especially true for brass era model Ts. In the US and Canada, it just wasn't really done that often. However, Australian and New Zealand model Ts seemed to get wire wheels somewhat more often. I would expect that adding the shipping and other import costs made the cars a bit more expensive. And perhaps the owners would be more inclined to spend the money on wire wheels. In the US and Canada, model Ts were one of the best buys in an automobile, but basic transportation. Few buyers would be willing to spend nearly half the cost of the car for a set of wire wheels to be installed.

Another detail I notice, is that the running board is not standard issue. It appears to be actual wood, likely covered and trimmed nicely.

I forgot to add, "Bottom line, that is likely a late calendar year '13 or early '14 car."

Whether Canadian or English in origin? It is an unusual and beautiful model T! I like those fenders on it.

Than you for sharing all of these and others.

Edited by wayne sheldon (see edit history)

The bulk of our Ford Ts came from Canada. The body on this car may well have been built locally. Like many places New Zealand had coachbuilders in most towns. Christchurch had at least four, maybe more. 

This TT truck had a body built by Boon and Co who were best known for building many of the local tram car bodies.

10s Boons Chch Ford TT.jpg

• Like 1

I have a lot of photos on file. The hard part is remembering where they are. I need to cross reference them better, by date, make and location.

This one, and the Ford TT, are from another file of local history. It was taken at the local railway station. I presume most of the landaulets there are Fords? The station was demolished about 1960 and replaced with a new one, which unfortunately had to be demolished after the 2011 earthquake. By then it had become redundant as a railway station as there were no passenger services operating. At the time there was a movie cinema and a number of businesses in the building. The new station can be seen in the other photo taken in December 1968. 

10s fb 181118 Rly Stn.jpg

68 December.jpg