Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

8 hours ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

Walt,

It certainly has the appearance of a circa-1917 Locomobile Model 48 Type Sportif Victoria.

I'm sure the owner of this one knows which car is in Al's photo.

1619267088_DSC_1188CXT17Locomobile48TypSportifAsaCandler.thumb.jpg.b4d0de2aa2a459d3162e502ccb36da83.jpg

866244587_AutoNames2CVictoria.jpg.435160ee285ae7abbd5bea35ed165b3b.jpg

TG

We need a Locomobile expert but I believe they are the same car.

I didn't love the color choices,  but the restored car is fantastic.  I spent about 20 minutes talking to the owner,  who restored it over a long period in his back yard barn.   It is really a cool car.

• Like 1

The owner of the Locomobile that is restored and shown here is a GREAT GUY and did an outstanding restoration of a wonderful car. Colors are original to the car , and must have made a very bold statement to everyone who saw it when new and is still doing the same thing now over a century later. It seems that the Locomobile owners is as dedicated to that make as much as some other makes of 'orphan' cars ( Franklin, Pierce Arrow, Hudson, Packard, Reo etc) are.

• Like 2

Just now, alsancle said:

Anybody know what this is?  Way out of my area of expertise.

UnidentifiedEarlyCar-Smaller.jpg

Brighton era horseless carriage...........need anything else identified?

• Like 1

Interesting the color on the Loco is original. I know in this hobby you should never say never, but I would have bet anything it was way off the mark. I’m not sure I would have restored it to the original, and I’m a purist. It just doesn’t look right. Another lesson learned.

• Like 2

Is that an early Knox?   I had a ride in a car like this in the front seat down some narrow roads in north eastern Wales , within view of the ocean, about 35-40 years ago. I fortunately did not fall out !! It was an interesting sensation to go down the road with absolutely nothing in front of you that was a part of the car .

• Like 1

I was in the Knox club for 20 years, and by no means an expert. Doesn’t look like one to me, but that’s just a guess.

• Like 1

The Locomobile was built for the founder of Rexall Drugs and is finished in its original colors of Pacific Coral and Deep Slate Blue-Gray,

colors very similar to those of Rexall. The owner is a really nice fellow who has garnered multiple club and concours awards with his restoration.

1890473557_DSC_0427CXT17LocomobileModel48Sportif.thumb.jpg.1081f6e673c40d73bcaeecc1c2f3fc88.jpg

1943774755_DSC_0431CXT17LocomobileModel48Sportif.thumb.jpg.6c79e8ad8ed0cb48493168308cf126f0.jpg

Locomobile Co. of America - Designed By - Locomobile Custom Department.

1981132659_DSC_1190CXT17Locomobile48TypSportifAsaCandler.thumb.jpg.71ab31de7198cabcfdc9e28cba3d61da.jpg

TG

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I scanned a couple more of the cars going around the race track.    Looks like a parade around a horse track.  Early AACA event?  Glidden? 

WaltRaceTrack-2-smaller.jpg

This is definitely Raceland.  Possibly 1950, and I think the car in front is a Stanley belonging to Evans Larson.  This body doesn't seem to be Stanley's standard roadster.  I've always wondered about this and have no idea where this car ended up after it went to an E. S. Johnson in Florida.

Raceland_#90_Larson.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StanleyRegister said:

This is definitely Raceland.  Possibly 1950, and I think the car in front is a Stanley belonging to Evans Larson.  This body doesn't seem to be Stanley's standard roadster.  I've always wondered about this and have no idea where this car ended up after it went to an E. S. Johnson in Florida.

Let me go see what other pictures of that car I have.

Need specs for that elusive 1929 Kissel White Eagle Coupe-Roadster you've been chasing?

1713207339_29KisselWhiteEagle.thumb.jpg.789eb5ac1b4e60f7f920a8ecdbbeb21b.jpg

The AACA Library & Research Center has scanned their entire collection of the Motor Car Directory
and the 1904-29 Hand Book of Automobiles, an excellent source for research.

1396011816_24Cover1X.thumb.jpg.77775d934edd9689e757a188cea3b2e2.jpg

You can find them here on the Library & Research Center's Facebook page,
every issue including cars, buses, trucks, and more!

Happy Hunting!

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I thought Knox was late to the steering wheel, and only late 04’s had them..............or is my memory faulty?

• Like 1

1904 Knox photos on line do not show steering wheels. They all show tillers from 03 & 04, and the body on the car in the photo doesn’t look like a Smith-Springfield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Anybody know what this is?  Way out of my area of expertise.

UnidentifiedEarlyCar-Smaller.jpg

I have seen two autos in person with that drop-down front footrest; a 1903 Pierce Motorette in the Gilmore Museum, and a 1906 Adams-Farwell in the National Automobile Museum in Reno.

It sure appears to be a Pierce Motorette to me.

Craig

11gm088.jpg

1906_A-F.jpg

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

Yes.  I believe we had more discussion about it in the Lincoln thread down in the CCCA forum.   There were two built if I recall correctly.

Somewhere I have seen photos of the hinges in design - the hinge has a dovetail integrated into it - neat design and probably worked just fine for a couple of years. 

7 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Somewhere I have seen photos of the hinges in design - the hinge has a dovetail integrated into it - neat design and probably worked just fine for a couple of years. 

Ford's much later 'Magic' doorgate from 1966 comes to mind.  

The major difference is all the other US automakers and Toyota Crown picked up on it, and the Honda Ridgeline still uses it for their truck tailgate.

Craig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

1904 Knox photos on line do not show steering wheels. They all show tillers from 03 & 04, and the body on the car in the photo doesn’t look like a Smith-Springfield.

Photo from mid 70's:  The relative that had the 1932 RR PI also had this 1904 Knox Truck - it was I believe a NY Sanitation vehicle and they bought it from Dave Dominion when working on the RR - I also believe it had a tiller now that you mention it. 

1201140539_unnamed(1).jpg.462ed2d145ced8363d52e76295e01827.jpg

67741642_KNOX01BustruckconversionNews_1904-11-02HA.thumb.jpg.70cdd0451be79a6f32e7be001f6aec0a.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Also from the Creative Workshop Facebook page - as a sidnote, I recall watching their television program regarding the early Kissel they restored and Pebble Beach; and how laborious they were at documenting with a particular discussion as to their installing buttons across the seat back - well, not many surviving unrestored cars, but plenty of very early restored cars and you just have to get a feel for if they took the time or not when car was done to get it correct  - AKA why original period photographs are so important to find.  As a sidenote - I lean toward no buttons on the seat back - just deep pleats. 

42290340_10157834479129942_1091331682172141568_o.thumb.jpg.14ed15eaa03ca6d91360ede459a3afb9.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

The Locomobile was built for the founder of Rexall Drugs and is finished in its original colors of Pacific Coral and Deep Slate Blue-Gray,

colors very similar to those of Rexall. The owner is a really nice fellow who has garnered multiple club and concours awards with his restoration.

That can't be unseen, if it had been my car I'd rely on the best black and white photos I could find. Bob