Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Two one-off L29 Cords.  These photo copies were made during visits by the late Jack Willis and I in the '70's to Mrs. Agnes Leamy, wife of acclaimed ACD designer Al Leamy, from originals in her late husband's files, which she had lovingly cared for over the decades since his passing.  In the late '70's I received a thank you letter from John Martin Smith in behalf of the ACD Museum thanking me for helping to get Mrs. Leamy to donate all of Al's material to the Museum.  I had persuaded her to not give it to the Smithsonian.

MVC-007S.JPG

MVC-008S.JPG

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Chauffeur-driven Customized  L29 Cord with Woodlites

Doors and louvers on the hood is that a one off feature? 

My guess is the hood top vents extra air helped keep it more cool inside - a 30's car can be pretty toasty on the feet, especially ones where the cowl is relieved a couple inches to the inside for the engine (no matter how good the cowl padding is) and my guess is that this is a photo from California - hard to read the license plate..  Very artistic though with the different sized vents and probably a very good solution.  I have never seen another car fitted with these - they would allow identification today if car survived. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I don't know for certain which variant it is. Buick importing was only taken over by GMNZ in the mid 1920s and from then on they all came from Flint. Up until then they were imported by independent agents and there are surviving cars from both the US and Canada.

Here is a picture of my '13 right/drivers side.  Notice the gear shift and park brake on my car. 

IMG_20200417_111855_01.jpg

Here is my great aunt Ivy and her husband Walter Lawry with their ca. 1912 Mitchell (I think) in the Seattle/Tacoma area.  The second picture seems to be a ca. 1916 Overland.  I think that's my father as a young boy standing in the front of the car on their way to Ellensburg, WA, maybe 1918 or so.  My grandparents were living in Roslyn, WA back then, where the family had been for 30 years.  Perhaps the wire wheels were uncommon on Overlands of the period.  The tires sure look skinny.  Just for kicks, here's a GoogleMaps streetview picture from Hwy 10 just west of Ellensburg.  Looks about the same 100 years later.

58068694_WalterLawry-1912Mitchell.thumb.png.a63b15aa94eb2f62889414e1b9c61f5d.png

ca. 1912 Mitchell (??)

494697426_Ellis-Overlandcar_rd-to-Ellensburg.thumb.png.d0d50a1efe54a9681a8a44ddab58d357.png

ca. 1916 Overland on the road to Ellensburg, WA from Roslyn.

1577894805_EllensburgWA6181Hwy10streetview.thumb.PNG.0abaf8ecccefd69a87d3b224c54a75c5.PNG

GoogleMaps streetview picture from 6181 Hwy 10, Ellensburg.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dave Henderson said:

...an error occurred in laying out the top,which caused the height at the windshield to come out 1 inch lower than planned. 

What a crime, it looks even better than we imagined!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

My guess is the hood top vents extra air helped keep it more cool inside - a 30's car can be pretty toasty on the feet, especially ones where the cowl is relieved a couple inches to the inside for the engine (no matter how good the cowl padding is) and my guess is that this is a photo from California - hard to read the license plate..  Very artistic though with the different sized vents and probably a very good solution.  I have never seen another car fitted with these - they would allow identification today if car survived. 

A thirties Fageol truck hood comes to mind: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/50464-orphan-of-the-day-03-04-1938-fageol-1066

Craig

Going by surviving photos there were several early poppet-valve Daimlers in NZ (they went to Knight sleeve valves in 1908-09). Daimler built a confusing range of  models and it is difficult to be certain of the exact identity of them. This circa 1907 car was in Christchurch about 1910.

Daimler Chch 1910ish.jpg

The 1953 movie Genevieve for many was the start of their passion for old cars. The star of the movie, a 1904 Darracq, lived in New Zealand for a few years in the 1950s, owned by George Giltrap. He had some sort of dispute with the local authorities about 1959 and moved his collection to Queensland,  Australia. Genevieve returned to the UK in the early '90s but is currently in the Louwman Museum in The Hague as far as I know.  These shots are from 1958. 

Genevieve 1958 Rotorua.jpg

Genevieve Rotorua 1958 a.jpg

Vintage cars Rotorua 1958 Giltrap collection.jpg

Here is a photo out of my personal collection - I inherited from a friend and the role of film was never developed until 1968 and this is the first time it has been scanned

Lakeside Ohio, 1925, developed March 12, 1968, photo collection of Felix Koch, photo collection of Honest Tom Konop, photo collection Herb Krombholz

Scan_Pic0007.thumb.jpg.4c9c9bcf43f347d2143012b7dfb05b52.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is a photo out of my personal collection - I inherited from a friend and the role of film was never developed until 1968 and this is the first time it has been scanned

Walnut Hills  Ohio, June 1930, Wonderwell Film Adventures show at Kemper Lane Hotel, developed March 12, 1968, photo collection of Felix Koch, photo collection of Honest Tom Konop, photo collection Herb Krombholz

Scan_Pic0008a.thumb.jpg.36824dd13e9879c095b00d22e516a086.jpg

• Like 1

College Hill  Ohio, November 1929, developed March 12, 1968, photo collection of Felix Koch, photo collection of Honest Tom Konop, photo collection Herb Krombholz

Scan_Pic0009.thumb.jpg.ecba1354cc1aa074adf5fd51e8ab893e.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Ike Brigham's 1932 Packard Eight Custom Dietrich Convertible Victoria first time out with new red paint in 1980's - CCCA Grand Classic Indianapolis Speedway  

Scan_Pic0008.jpg.f9d05367f2a2ecfd6bb75c76d68300e4.jpg

Of course it wsa done in the 1980s.  

• Like 1

Rolls-Royce at a polo match in 1922 at  Westbury, NY on long island which was a well known area for polo matches on Jericho Turnpike before the state widened the road. Mr. Grace in his car.

RR1922WestburyRGracepolo001.jpg

• Thanks 2

John Mereness, in 1986 I had some black & white film in my camera and visited the Suffolk County

Vanderbilt Museum in Centerport, Long Island, the former "Eagle's Nest" estate of William K. Vanderbilt.

There was an important Chrysler displayed in the courtyard...

1943087332_37ImperialbyLeBaron.thumb.jpg.2c77d38907553063f5c80c35edea338e.jpg

http://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/blog/article/rare_photos_of_chryslers_chrysler_at_the_vanderbilt_museum_in_1986

Many years later I gave the current owner those B&W images taken that day.

Total fun!

TG

• Like 1

This Chrysler was stored for years in the main area of the house in a garage area that had a turn table in the floor! that is where I saw the car soon after it arrived at the Vanderbilt museum as a gift. Eventually the 1926(?) Lincoln town car that was a Vanderbilt family car took the place on the turn table and the Chrysler needed to be stored. It wound up out in s storage building at the Long Island Auto Museum owned by Austin Clark in Southampton. That is where I saw it once again at one of Austin's "Iron Range Days". It was not in the main display area there. As noted by then the paint was flaking off and condition had deteriorated. It broke my heart to see the car look so poor due to neglect by the Vanderbilt Museum. Eventually the car went back to the Vanderbilt museum to a basement area where there was a single car garage and stuff piled all around it. That is where Howard first saw the car and where his website Vanderbiltcupraces.com shows us extracting it carefully to get towed up the hill from the museum and loaded into a trailer to make its way west to Howard's garage and then eventually into a restoration shop. All videos and photos taken can be seen on the website mentioned. I had the privilege to be there through out the process and see a car I fist saw when about 10 years old come back to life.

• Like 2

I forgot who posted the photo of a Brewster towncar, with a man standing beside the driver side door.  When I put a copy of that photo into my computer file of Brewsters I discovered a similar be slightly different version of the towncar.  In the photo of the Brewster with the man, the car has a painted radiator shell, the headlights are smaller size, and the tires are black wall.  In the other photo from my file, the photo is labeled "34 Brewster Town Car on Ford chassis".  This second photo shows the Brewster with a chrome radiator shell, white wall tires, and the headlights are larger, with the left headlight oriented toward the right, out of focus.

I have simply brought this forward in event a Brewster fan is interested or has other information to share.

Brewster Towncar.jpg

34 Brewster Town Car on Ford chassis.jpg

• Like 2