Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

7 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Yes, there was enough aluminum in a "high end" car to build a Merlin engine - very patriotic to donate to the cause = the life you saved may be your own .  

I saw the story about that car somewhere recently - might have been the ACD group facebook page. Have to look for it. Something to with the eccentricity of the owner.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

How do the doors on that car work?

Looks like it is a double acting door where you could open it from the front or back depending on which seat you were entering.

1932 LincolnKBBrunnDoublentreeSportCabrioletAdj2X.jpg.30a8b74e10899dc010030f9ee909d1d6.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Walt G said:

Hey Ed. here is one you can help identify. WHat I know: photo was taken in 1935, location is the south side of 7th Street in Garden City, NY out here on long island.

Car is obviously a Pierce Arrow. What is the year and series/model, is the body custom built?  Note how bald the spare tire is

Photo was taken by the Drennan studio which was a commercial photographer located one town south of Garden City.  Less then a 1/4 mile away to the right of this photo was

located the Garden City Hotel ( original wood structure not the sad excuse for a replacement that is there now) where Charles Lindberg stayed the night before he made his famous flight to Paris

from Roosevelt Field airport which would be a mile east of this location.

The tail light on the P-A I always admired as a fine cluster of automotive art and equipment. I have one mounted on a display stand with a license plate on it in my living room with a period advertising plate mounted to it urging all to eat Bond bread. 🙃.

PierceArrowGardencitycrash001.jpg

Im going to go with Judkins,.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

Looks like it is a double acting door where you could open it from the front or back depending on which seat you were entering.

1932 LincolnKBBrunnDoublentreeSportCabrioletAdj2X.jpg.30a8b74e10899dc010030f9ee909d1d6.jpg

Yes.  I believe we had more discussion about it in the Lincoln thread down in the CCCA forum.   There were two built if I recall correctly.

The top of the line Peerless for 1929....an Eight-125 Seven-Passenger Sedan

Image may contain: 1 person

Photo from The Creative Workshop's restoration file for an identical one shown at The Elegance, Amelia Island and Boca Raton. 

On the third page, I think,  of this thread I started a post about five period images from my family's photo collection. No Mustangs or tailfin wonders, just things like Velies, Coles and Stutzes. Turns out my granddad had three Stutzes. It has been erased. I  spent two hours getting them scanned, but am needing to somehow convert them from pdf to jpg images. Pdf is impossible to use on the Forums. I cannot use the library resources to convert them because it's been closed. I'll get them here eventually!

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Two were built. One survived and is now in Michigan when I saw it twenty years ago. Interesting door hinge and latch set up. Very beefy and very heavy. The wood was causing problems for the weight of the door. They should have made the vertical supports out of steel or bronze, not wood. Last I knew the car was partially disassembled.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Two were built. One survived and is now in Michigan when I saw it twenty years ago. Interesting door hinge and latch set up. Very beefy and very heavy. The wood was causing problems for the weight of the door. They should have made the vertical supports out of steel or bronze, not wood. Last I knew the car was partially disassembled.

The 1932 Lincoln KB Doublentree Sport Cabriolet by Brunn had doors that opened from either end, as noted by others.

OK Al, is that lead car a Locomobile? trying to make it out, seems to have a cape top at the rear and perhaps a dual cowl/second windshield.

Yes, I am fond of Locomobiles and their dual cowls because they were designed by J. Frank deCausse who I did a biography on about two decades ago.

Hope to pen a story about the N.Y. City Locomobile dealership on the upper west side of Manhattan soon. The building still exists, and I own the hard cover

showroom album with huge linen back photographs of all kinds of Locomobiles of the mid to late teens era.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Walt G said:

OK Al, is that lead car a Locomobile? trying to make it out, seems to have a cape top at the rear and perhaps a dual cowl/second windshield.

Yes, I am fond of Locomobiles and their dual cowls because they were designed by J. Frank deCausse who I did a biography on about two decades ago.

Hope to pen a story about the N.Y. City Locomobile dealership on the upper west side of Manhattan soon. The building still exists, and I own the hard cover

showroom album with huge linen back photographs of all kinds of Locomobiles of the mid to late teens era.

Walt,

It certainly has the appearance of a circa-1917 Locomobile Model 48 Type Sportif Victoria.

I'm sure the owner of this one knows which car is in Al's photo.

1619267088_DSC_1188CXT17Locomobile48TypSportifAsaCandler.thumb.jpg.b4d0de2aa2a459d3162e502ccb36da83.jpg

866244587_AutoNames2CVictoria.jpg.435160ee285ae7abbd5bea35ed165b3b.jpg

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 1