Looking for knowledgeable car guy to review pre purchase vehicles..50s/60s

StylishOne

Sent a message about someone to AVOID; he's from the Midwest but also spends a lot of time in SoCal.  He's bad news all the way around. 

** clarification - I'm offering a personal warning about a person who represents himself as an Appraiser / Consultant / Broker and may offer his services to StylishOne who asked for suggestions.  Not sure if the person I am referring is active here but some AACA forum participants likely know him.  Don't want to post the name but will respond to inquiries.  

Edited by CarFreak (see edit history)

I think John S asks a perfectly reasonable question. I've gone out of my way to look at items for other enthusiasts and I'd be extremely PO'd if I thought I was helping another collector and found out all I'd done was waste my time helping someone else flip a car. It's fine if you are paid for it but that wasn't specified in the original post.

Are all cars for resale? Maybe on this site, which seems to be overwhelming dominated by the "you'll be under water in no time" attitude. I'm not sure that applies to all of us, especially those who flourish under water.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

I think John S asks a perfectly reasonable question. I've gone out of my way to look at items for other enthusiasts and I'd be extremely PO'd if I thought I was helping another collector and found out all I'd done was waste my time helping someone else flip a car. It's fine if you are paid for it but that wasn't specified in the original post.

Are all cars for resale? Maybe on this site, which seems to be overwhelming dominated by the "you'll be under water in no time" attitude. I'm not sure that applies to all of us, especially those who flourish under water.

We are only trying to discourage members from getting badly burned and or burned out on cars that will never see the road.  No easier way to turn a guy off old cars than to let him dive into a car head first with no knowledge or experience only to find out he's spent all his money is nowhere near being complete has no time or desire to finish and he has to sell it in a fire sale because he lost storage,  a place to work on it,  or the support of his significant other through a cold shoulder or divorce.   If you don't believe me,  look at Craigslist.  It's full of guys in that exact position all trying to come up for air and be shed of old cars forever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JV Puleo said:

JV 

There are collectors who love cars and want to share their skills to help fellow  collectors, and there are those who wish to be paid for their time reviewing a car  for someone else.  I have dealt appropriately with both types.  

However, when I hear the immediate tone of "are you trying to make money on this" right off the bat I find it diminishing to me. I have loved cars since childhood and owned over 100 by this point in my life.  What I chose and what I do with what I pay for is my business alone.  I'd also suggest never do anything for anyone unless you want to . Be clear about if you wish, a payment or not up front,  so there are no issues  with feeling used. If you do anything expecting certain responses  you're  bond to be disappointed when or if you don't  get what you expected.

Just respect each other but be clear from the beginning what your role is and if you wish payment. 

We are all here, I think because we love cars. Not to pry or judge or assume..just aid a fellow collectors or chose not to. Period.

Edited by StylishOne (see edit history)

This hobby is dominated by guys who expect to profit from merely participating. "I have $40,000 in this $25,000 car, therefore I expect to get $45,000 for it--you know, all my money  back and then a little extra." For every guy who understands that this is a hobby that costs money there are 20 who expect a car getting a year older also means it is a year more valuable. I think pointing out to a newcomer--whose only experience with the hobby might be through TV or auctions--that you should do it for the love of the game and not expect to make money is reasonable. 

There are also members of this forum who deeply resent anyone potentially making money off "their" hobby. I suspect they would not be willing to sell their cars for anything other than 100% market value, but they nevertheless wag their fingers at anyone who dares to buy and sell cars at a profit and cry for the newcomer who has to pay to play like everyone else. For some reason, they always assume that an anonymous guy selling a car in his driveway with nothing to lose by lying to a buyer and cheating him out of his money is far more trustworthy and honorable than a person who owns a business on which his livelihood depends and for whom lying and cheating would be the end of his career. But whatever.

To bring it back on-topic, when you do a Google search for a pre-purchase inspection the initials AAG are going to come up. Do not use them, no matter how big and smart their advertising makes them seem. it's a known scam--well, not quite a scam but a hustle that is designed to take your money and make sure you don't buy a car that will come back to bite them on the ass. So use anyone but them.

My experience with almost every inspector of any type suggests that the very best way to ensure you get the car you expect is for you to spend the money you intend to spend on an inspection on an airplane ticket instead. Go see it yourself and there will be no mistakes. If you don't, and the car isn't what you expect, you have only yourself to blame (although a whole bunch of grown men in this hobby try to whine and complain their way out of taking responsibility for buying a used car they didn't even bother looking at--don't be that guy). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, StylishOne said:

JV 

There are collectors who love cars and want to share their skills to help fellow  collectors, and there are those who wish to be paid for their time reviewing a car  for someone else.  I have dealt appropriately with both types.  

However, when I hear the immediate tone of "are you trying to make money on this" right off the bat I find it diminishing to me. I have loved cars since childhood and owned over 100 by this point in my life.  What I chose and what I do with what I pay for is my business alone.  I'd also suggest never do anything for anyone unless you want to . Be clear about if you wish, a payment or not up front,  so there are no issues  with feeling used. If you do anything expecting certain responses  you're  bond to be disappointed when or if you don't  get what you expected.

Just respect each other but be clear from the beginning what your role is and if you wish payment. 

We are all hear, I think because we love cars. Not to pry or judge or assume..just aid a fellow collectors or chose not to. Period.

Your O P leaves many questions unanswered such as: Are you a collector looking to buy a particular car, looking to find cars to flip, trying to help someone else or just filling your spare time. Context is everything and your remark "for now" is a bit of a red flag.

What it boils down to is if you are a fellow hobbiest looking for a bit of help as a favor you should state so. If you are looking for help to turn a profit you should also say so. If you are just killing time.... Ditto.

When a perfect stranger ( you ) asks for a favor or help it's both customary and logical to explain why that help is needed......Bob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have absolutely no problem with people making money...I wish I were better at it myself. Nor have I any problem with pointing out to a newcomer that making money at this is not a sure-fire thing and that it is a lot more difficult than popular entertainment makes it out to be. That said, were I new at this (fortunately my experience goes back to the days before the internet) I would find the general attitude on this site to be discouraging. I do not think that is intentional and I've no recommendation as to how it can be addressed but it is something we should all think about if we want others to get into the old car world.

Just this week I was contacted by a gentleman who was looking at a RR I worked on 30 years ago. From our conversation I learned that he'd flown out to look at and drive the car then started running down everyone he could find that had previous experience with it. That's the right way to go about it and there are still risks. I knew the car to be absolutely straight and untampered with but who can say what has been done in the 30 years since I've seen it.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

We are only trying to discourage members from getting badly burned and or burned out on cars that will never see the road.  No easier way to turn a guy off old cars than to let him dive into a car head first with no knowledge or experience only to find out he's spent all his money is nowhere near being complete has no time or desire to finish and he has to sell it in a fire sale because he lost storage,  a place to work on it,  or the support of his significant other through a cold shoulder or divorce.   If you don't believe me,  look at Craigslist.  It's full of guys in that exact position all trying to come up for air and be shed of old cars forever. 

Both of your statements are spot on.

40 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

This hobby is dominated by guys who expect to profit from merely participating. "I have $40,000 in this $25,000 car, therefore I expect to get $45,000 for it--you know, all my money  back and then a little extra." For every guy who understands that this is a hobby that costs money there are 20 who expect a car getting a year older also means it is a year more valuable. I think pointing out to a newcomer--whose only experience with the hobby might be through TV or auctions--that you should do it for the love of the game and not expect to make money is reasonable. 

There are also members of this forum who deeply resent anyone potentially making money off "their" hobby. I suspect they would not be willing to sell their cars for anything other than 100% market value, but they nevertheless wag their fingers at anyone who dares to buy and sell cars at a profit and cry for the newcomer who has to pay to play like everyone else. For some reason, they always assume that an anonymous guy selling a car in his driveway with nothing to lose by lying to a buyer and cheating him out of his money is far more trustworthy and honorable than a person who owns a business on which his livelihood depends and for whom lying and cheating would be the end of his career. But whatever.

To bring it back on-topic, when you do a Google search for a pre-purchase inspection the initials AAG are going to come up. Do not use them, no matter how big and smart their advertising makes them seem. it's a known scam--well, not quite a scam but a hustle that is designed to take your money and make sure you don't buy a car that will come back to bite them on the ass. So use anyone but them.

My experience with almost every inspector of any type suggests that the very best way to ensure you get the car you expect is for you to spend the money you intend to spend on an inspection on an airplane ticket instead. Go see it yourself and there will be no mistakes. If you don't, and the car isn't what you expect, you have only yourself to blame (although a whole bunch of grown men in this hobby try to whine and complain their way out of taking responsibility for buying a used car they didn't even bother looking at--don't be that guy). 

• Like 1

Matt Harwood

the very best way to ensure you get the car you expect is for you to spend the money you intend to spend on an inspection on an airplane ticket instead. Go see it yourself and there will be no mistakes. If you don't, and the car isn't what you expect, you have only yourself to blame (although a whole bunch of grown men in this hobby try to whine and complain their way out of taking responsibility for buying a used car they didn't even bother looking at--don't be that guy)

This is the only way to be sure you get what you think you are buying. I spent 2 months talking and emailing a seller about a Jag MK IX. He sent me about 200 pics covering every part of the car. He was even willing to arrange shipping. I still bought the ticket to go from Lexington to Seattle to check it out. The frame was sitting in mud! Every one of those picks had to be twenty years old. If you want to be In a hobby It’s going to cost something so be sure and check it out yourself. Arrange to have help if you don’t know squat about it but go in person. 

Have fun 

Dave S 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

I agree with most of your reply. There are times when you can't get away and you need boots on the ground.  After all these years I remember 2 where I didn't get what I expected. Those were years ago, thank God! 

This is good advice & I've seen it many times before. Questions: Wouldn't flying to look at a car depend on the car & the cost of the car? You certainly wouldn't do it for say a $5000 or less car. What is a good general price at which you hop on a plane.

Also, In theory, you could spend a lot of time & money chasing cars around the country and end up with nothing but a thinner wallet. Do you have any advice on how to avoid this?

36 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Both of your statements are spot on.

the very best way to ensure you get the car you expect is for you to spend the money you intend to spend on an inspection on an airplane ticket instead. Go see it yourself and there will be no mistakes. If you don't, and the car isn't what you expect, you have only yourself to blame.

I might add, buy two airplane tickets and take someone with you who has the car knowledge to help      you make your decision.   The price of the tickets can be a lot less than a bad purchase decision.

Don't make my mistake of buying a one way ticket.   (It's easy to make buying mistakes!)

the OP has posted on here before with the same request.

not a new request, which would lead me to believe he is looking for scouts. He states he has had numerous cars......

so he isnt learning anything new from all of the rhetoric written here.

you either want to work for him or you dont. simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

Your O P leaves many questions unanswered such as: Are you a collector looking to buy a particular car, looking to find cars to flip, trying to help someone else or just filling your spare time. Context is everything and your remark "for now" is a bit of a red flag.

What it boils down to is if you are a fellow hobbiest looking for a bit of help as a favor you should state so. If you are looking for help to turn a profit you should also say so. If you are just killing time.... Ditto.

When a perfect stranger ( you ) asks for a favor or help it's both customary and logical to explain why that help is needed......Bob

Bob ..The troubling red flag," for now" referred to where there are cars I have some interest in ..right at the moment, others could appear, you know the car world.  That's a red flag, to you?  I miss what you're getting at? I didn't ask YOU for a thing,  it's in "general discussion" not in your mailbox n it doesnt appear youd be looking to help.

I explained :my whole life I've been a car guy. I mentioned how many cars I've owned ,and that I can't get to where the cars are, also that I have paid for help , as well as had guys who didn't want any money as they just enjoyed the shared "hunt" for cars. 

For many months I stayed out of this forum. One of the guys had offered me a car and I explained I liked that model but I wasn't interested in it and thanked him.. he went on a tear that I wanted his car for nothing, the fact was it wasn't my kind of car and his price was very high. He couldn't get that his car wasn't for me and started a dust up. So I stayed away from this Forum.

So here I am again, a mature guy who just last year, sold a car at a loss to a guy who I knew loved it and would make it even nicer, when another collector offered to pay me more,, but he would part it out. I chose to take less money that buyer wrote me several times with pics and thanking me..  But why do I have to prove myself to you, or others?  Are cars so easy to make profits on?  Really? And why do you care what I do with my cars I dont care at all what you do with yours?? 

You know, I joined this Forum to be around guys who appreciate what I appreciate .. only to find some guys in here are nosey ,impolite, or just difficult.  But what would I know? I'm still just a Neutral 4 !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh fer the luvva............... . Listen up : How 'bout those of us who are curious as to aspects of the gentleman's motivations and ultimate disposition of the barn finds, or garage finds, or desert finds or whatever, engage him in a less public, less confrontational format ? Perhaps P.M. ? If you take the time to read his, his, his whatchacallit ? The intro at the bottom of his postings ? You will see that he particularly enjoys reviving slumbering survivors. Now, I am not the brightest bulb on the Thanksgiving Tree, and am notoriously slow to catch on. But I am pretty sure the gentleman is truly a gentleman. So how's about we treat him as we ourselves would appreciate being treated ? As someone who also loves to take my "finds" to another level by exorcising demons and gremlins, I can appreciate that the process is a valid end in itself. I do it for MYself, but I sure can see being the guy who does it for others. See what I am getting at ?

Stylish', evidently travel may indeed be out for you. BUT : if there is any way possible for you to get a ticket to 'Vegas, or San Anton' this Winter, rent a car, and make a loop through the scenic and relatively warm and sunny Southwest, DO IT!  It would not take too much twisting of my remaining good arm to pull me out of a Northeastern Winter. If you have not yet done so, you could include a Route 66 section, and on the back trip take in the best of the (South)West. I might even be tempted to tell you about a true American Shangri-la which I wandered into while taking a two month x-country cruise, at the end of a road, high in the mountains of S.W. New Mexico. Hint : it is the ancestral homeland of Geronimo s father-in-law, Cochise. 

Hey ! I don't usually like to participate in anything which could be construed as confrontational. I love you all, I really do. So why don't we just call this another one of my too infrequent Sunday Sermons. Let's call this one : "Golden Rule".    -   Carl 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I posted my question because a few guys have looked for cars on here (some if not most I don't think have been on in quite some time) I've presented them with many good examples , which takes time, only to have every one shot down.  After looking,  many were priced very reasonably, if not down right cheap.  Just don't want to waste my time if the OP or any one else isn't realistic about what they are looking for. Sure we all want a 50G car for 10 G but if you have a specific want and market is say 10 G, but won't spend a dime over 5G,  then I don't want to bother posting anything but exactly what the person is looking for which will most likely be nothing. 

Just like when I'm in a position to finally buy an Auburn.  I will post a wanted ad ,  but will be realistic knowing I'm at the 50 g to 100G mark depending on condition,  and will post accordingly. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Oh fer the luvva............... . Listen up : How 'bout those of us who are curious as to aspects of the gentleman's motivations and ultimate disposition of the barn finds, or garage finds, or desert finds or whatever, engage him in a less public, less confrontational format ? Perhaps P.M. ? If you take the time to read his, his, his whatchacallit ? The intro at the bottom of his postings ? You will see that he particularly enjoys reviving slumbering survivors. Now, I am not the brightest bulb on the Thanksgiving Tree, and am notoriously slow to catch on. But I am pretty sure the gentleman is truly a gentleman. So how's about we treat him as we ourselves would appreciate being treated ? As someone who also loves to take my "finds" to another level by exorcising demons and gremlins, I can appreciate that the process is a valid end in itself. I do it for MYself, but I sure can see being the guy who does it for others. See what I am getting at ?

Stylish', evidently travel may indeed be out for you. BUT : if there is any way possible for you to get a ticket to 'Vegas, or San Anton' this Winter, rent a car, and make a loop through the scenic and relatively warm and sunny Southwest, DO IT!  It would not take too much twisting of my remaining good arm to pull me out of a Northeastern Winter. If you have not yet done so, you could include a Route 66 section, and on the back trip take in the best of the (South)West. I might even be tempted to tell you about a true American Shangri-la which I wandered into while taking a two month x-country cruise, at the end of a road, high in the mountains of S.W. New Mexico. Hint : it is the ancestral homeland of Geronimo s father-in-law, Cochise. 

Hey ! I don't usually like to participate in anything which could be construed as confrontational. I love you all, I really do. So why don't we just call this another one of my too infrequent Sunday Sermons. Let's call this one : "Golden Rule".    -   Carl 

Thank you Carl.. in addition to responsibilities here, I'm not a great traveler maybe no one thought of the other factors at play.  Yes treat each other respectfully... if you're interested in helping  you write the person, if not.. say nothing!

• Thanks 1

I would spend some time checking out a car within a hundred mile radius of me. I like looking at cars and there might be more than one. I still work at what would probably be the most liberal definition of the word. So when greater time and travel get involved I would treat the job with the same value as any other work I might do.

I like the comment about the guys selling on Craigslist. Some might begrudgingly pay pay a guy who inspects a car and tells them to avoid it. But if they overlook the advice they worship the hero who fixed all the problems they unknowingly bought. Yep, the hero is that "cracker jack" mechanical genius who took 3 years to finally get it to start, steer, and stop. They have banquets for the hero's. The guy standing and holding up the "Bridge Out" sign was just loafing. He didn't do anything of value. He just knew the bridge was out.

The value of non-events is grossly underrated.

Bernie

I live on the west coast of Canada but I just had to put my two cents in and recommend strongly to make the trip to San Antonio.  It’s a wonderful city and I think it’s a must see for everyone to visit.  Lots to see and do and if the car turns out to be a dud, the trip was still worth it.  We stayed at the Drury hotel on the Riverwalk, which was a state bank building built in 1929.  They even have a Model A sedan in the grand Art Deco styled lobby.  Take your wife on a trip and just happen to go view an old car for sale while you’re there, you can’t lose.

13 hours ago, StylishOne said:

Looking at some purchase choices  need a knowledgeable  general car guy..mostly about body n general condition , basic mechanical..to look 50s/60s cars. Las Vegas, and San Antonio for now..

12 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Are these cars for resale?

The OP was asked a simple question that could have been answered with a simple “ Yes “

or “ No “.

The OP is currently seeking transport for two vehicles here in another forum:

B8BBB673-0A2D-4EA9-B418-76D5FB64B319.thumb.png.2c6cc01c5352984da7af7dc819cebdf5.png

Jim

Yeah, looks pretty simple to me too, Jim, FWIW. Seems like just a thorough guy doing his due diligence and getting them ducks lined up in order to make the decision whether to pull the trigger. Sounds like he might have found a couple to add value for himself, or others. I sure can't see the harm, even if it WAS any of my binnitch. And I might add, that I would be happy to check them out just for gas money. Sadly, in my case,  I am way too far away for that to pencil out.    -    Carl 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

The OP was asked a simple question that could have been answered with a simple “ Yes “

or “ No “.

The OP did not respond to that question because he considered it an inappropriate question. Therefore his failure to respond does not imply what you are trying to imply.

If I wanted someone to look at a car out of state for me I would not include "willing to pay" in the post because I'd consider that tacky. At the same time I would not let anyone look at a car for me unless I paid them.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bills Auto Works said:

Exactly! It is nobodies business why the O.P wants the cars inspected, just that he wants them inspected. If you don't want to help him...just scroll on by. Which is so damn hard for people to do these days.

God Bess

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Thank you Bill you get it, bless you and others who see my point  It's very weird to me why/how my personal purchases even vaguely affect others without a horse in the race..?  And others who "discovered" I'm asking about shipping costs? Was it a secret? I'm doing my homework trying to add total costs of purchases, go figure?  Guess no one else does that?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StylishOne said:

Thank you Bill you get it, bless you and others who see my point  It's very weird to me why/how my personal purchases even vaguely affect others without a horse in the race..?  And others who "discovered" I'm asking about shipping costs? Was it a secret? I'm doing my homework trying to add total costs of purchases, go figure?  Guess no one else does that?

So, I admit I'm a little nosey. Can you please tell me what you are doing with these cars? Could you also tell what they are? How about a photo?

Thank you in advance for any answers to my questions.

So, what have we learned?? 

Most of us joined this forum for the love of cars - and most of us would not intentionally set out to take advantage of or burden a fellow enthusiast - however, evidently, some of us (maybe most?) have had a bad experience or two - this appears to make many of us hyper-sensitive to what is said - or in this case, what is not said.

I'm pretty sure we all would prefer to look at any potential purchase in person.  I'm also pretty sure most of us understand the phrase "penny-wise but pound foolish."  Some of us find it easy to ask for help while some of us struggle to reach out for any sort of help.  I know an enthusiast whose spouse has a medical condition that makes it a challenge to go across town to get parts from the auto store, let alone travel more than an hour to check out a vehicle in person.  And this enthusiast would never admit, let alone post, the details of the reason for the request, as it might appear to be a manipulative ploy.  So, without a private follow-up exchange its gonna be really hard to know whether or not you want to help. [A public follow-up unfortunately just draws out more banter - lol]

Not wanting to end this post on a somber note...  when I was a teen with meager funds to acquire my first car, my dad spoke to my uncle (a 'car guy'), a used car salesman three hours away in Chicago - and he said I have the perfect car for him - drive on over.  When we arrived, there it sat, the back windshield had leaked water for a long time, trashing the interior and causing a bad smell.  Plus, the car had been backed into some object, opening the fender like a can opener.  My dad was livid.  My uncle said, listen to the engine, it runs like new, the whole drivetrain is excellent, this other stuff can be fixed.  You should have seen my dad's face when I told my uncle I would take it - for $250.  I got it home and proceeded to look for a parts car.  In two weeks, I located the perfect car and got all the parts and the full interior for $100.  Of course, there was a lot of sweat-equity - but I ended up with a mechanically excellent car and learned a tremendous amount about body work and cosmetic restoration.  My dad was angry with his brother for a long time.  I was very happy with how things turned out.  So, did my uncle do the right thing?

Good luck with finding a good 'car guy'

1 hour ago, George Smolinski said:

So, I admit I'm a little nosey. Can you please tell me what you are doing with these cars? Could you also tell what they are? How about a photo?

Thank you in advance for any answers to my questions.

Okay you're kidding or trying an attempt at funny??  Or is this sadder n more bizarre than I imagined.

• Like 2

I certainly respect the original poster's love of cars.

Forum members are always happy to help a hobbyist,

sometimes even free of charge.  However, if the car buyer

is involved in flipping or reselling for profit, it's only fair that the

person going out of his way to look at a car for him

be compensated for time and expenses.

Mr. Stylish, if you're reselling the cars you've sought and bought

over many threads, it won't hurt to tell us.  We'll understand! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I certainly respect the original poster's love of cars.

Forum members are always happy to help a hobbyist,

sometimes even free of charge.  However, if the car buyer

is involved in flipping or reselling for profit, it's only fair that the

person going out of his way to look at a car for him

be compensated for time and expenses.

Mr. Stylish, if you're reselling the cars you've sought and bought

over many threads, it won't hurt to tell us.  We'll understand! 

John if you wish to read the hours of replies here,  you'll note my thoughts clearly spoken in addition to a brief bio.  

You might chose to reread it all as I'm done repeating myself and hearing the same thing from several angry snoops.  So far I've learned, after staying away a long time, it's even worse than I experienced before.

Though several are leveled headed and kind guys here the majority are way too nosey , self righteous ,and unkind to a fellow car lover for my tastes.  I had no idea I had to prove myself list my intentions and be grilled by the masses to just put a simple ad up.

I guess I've gone to the hardware store to buy lettuce!  

• Like 1

Could a local car club be of assistance ? These areas have many active car folk with year 'round driving potential. Cad/LaSalle Club had  their 2016 Grand National in Las Vegas, 2018 in San Antonio. I am sure other clubs must have done the same.   -   Carl 

20 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Could a local car club be of assistance ? These areas have many active car folk with year 'round driving potential. Cad/LaSalle Club had  their 2016 Grand National in Las Vegas, 2018 in San Antonio. I am sure other clubs must have done the same.   -   Carl 

Good idea, wonder if they interrogate  fellow gear heads as much as here? 

I do inspect cars for fellow gear heads. They are in Europe, I'm in Canada. It's not all that glamorous. About 60% of cars are far lower in quality than described. 30% are a bit lower but still worth the trip. 10% are actually as good if not better.

It involves a lot of time, money and frustration. But every once in awhile you meet a really good person and that keeps you going. Started doing it for fun many decades ago. Have never encountered anything like the so called "Barn Finds" shown on TV or YouTube, so I call B.S. on most of that stuff.

Do I make money at it? Not much but it helps! Mostly theraputic. Spent last Saturday getting a 63 Cadillac convertible out of long term storage. A good friend inherited it from his Dad. It was -7 C with a ice cold breeze. Finally got it running with expert help, yeah it was worth it. Even though the car is rough it's far better then wasting my time on late model Cadillacs!

I'm probably going to make $400 to $500 on this deal if it ever goes thru. So if that gets your panties in a bunch or steams up your glasses, feel free to flame away!!

63cad09chalor 047.jpg

• Like 1