Looking for knowledgeable car guy to review pre purchase vehicles..50s/60s

StylishOne

10 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

I do inspect cars for fellow gear heads. They are in Europe, I'm in Canada. It's not all that glamorous. About 60% of cars are far lower in quality than described. 30% are a bit lower but still worth the trip. 10% are actually as good if not better.

It involves a lot of time, money and frustration. But every once in awhile you meet a really good person and that keeps you going. Started doing it for fun many decades ago. Have never encountered anything like the so called "Barn Finds" shown on TV or YouTube, so I call B.S. on most of that stuff.

Do I make money at it? Not much but it helps! Mostly theraputic. Spent last Saturday getting a 63 Cadillac convertible out of long term storage. A good friend inherited it from his Dad. It was -7 C with a ice cold breeze. Finally got it running with expert help, yeah it was worth it. Even though the car is rough it's far better then wasting my time on late model Cadillacs!

I'm probably going to make $400 to $500 on this deal if it ever goes thru. So if that gets your panties in a bunch or steams up your glasses, feel free to flame away!!

63cad09chalor 047.jpg

Boy do I know all that goes in to it! Been buying cars since I was 13. It sounds about  right too with the troublesome and frustrating process ,but the deep love that makes us do it over and over.

I personally drove 2 1/2 hours for myself to look at three '58 Buick's based on a fellow local car club members advise "they looked very good".

When I arrived, getting no answer at the house, spent time looking them over parked at the side of the house with a brute of a dog in the fenced back yard raising a huge fuss! Thank heavens for that secured fence...

Finally I hear a female voice ask what I was doing? 

Long story short, she and her "old man" were splitting up and had instructions to Sell the Collection. 

Back then 5 grand for them was way too much for the condition they were in and considering transportation costs/time to even get home asked if I could talk to him about an offer. Telling me he was out riding with his buddies and not available, I passed.

With the tatoo's on he neck and arms just felt the whole transaction wasn't worth the experience...

The point? One man's interpretation / values is just that, one man's. 

I love '58's too much but this time my effort and decision was the right one.

If you ever are considering a 1958 Buick near me I'd be happy to look at it for you StylishOne.

3 hours ago, dei said:

I personally drove 2 1/2 hours for myself to look at three '58 Buick's based on a fellow local car club members advise "they looked very good".

When I arrived, getting no answer at the house, spent time looking them over parked at the side of the house with a brute of a dog in the fenced back yard raising a huge fuss! Thank heavens for that secured fence...

Finally I hear a female voice ask what I was doing? 

Long story short, she and her "old man" were splitting up and had instructions to Sell the Collection. 

Back then 5 grand for them was way too much for the condition they were in and considering transportation costs/time to even get home asked if I could talk to him about an offer. Telling me he was out riding with his buddies and not available, I passed.

With the tatoo's on he neck and arms just felt the whole transaction wasn't worth the experience...

The point? One man's interpretation / values is just that, one man's. 

I love '58's too much but this time my effort and decision was the right one.

If you ever are considering a 1958 Buick near me I'd be happy to look at it for you StylishOne.

I ve had 3  2LTDS converts 1 Estate Wagon..thanks 

• Like 1