Jump to content

You can't fix stupid.


Recommended Posts

I wish I had a picture to post but about 4 years ago I was staying late to unload a shipment of books. The truck was late...and when it arrived we found out why. The driver had tried to pass under a local bridge that has huge signs on either side announcing that it is a low bridge with a clearance of... less than the height of the usual tractor trailer. He ignored the signs but the truck was only a few inches too tall so rather than getting stuck, it peeled about half of the top off the trailer. When he finally arrived, our pallets were covered with splintered wood and aluminum shavings. His hydraulic tailgate didn't work either and I had an exciting hour figuring out how to get the pallets (which are very heavy) off the truck and into the warehouse. I've often wondered what he had to say when he got back to the yard with that trailer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trini said:

Nooo, the truck was in the wrong place.

Is it my eyes, the camera angle or is the trailer stopped partially on the road and blocking the traffic lane.  Sure looks like the truck driver deserves a serious fine as does the SUV driver.  Two stupids surely do not make a smart.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I wish I had a picture to post but about 4 years ago I was staying late to unload a shipment of books. The truck was late...and when it arrived we found out why. The driver had tried to pass under a local bridge that has huge signs on either side announcing that it is a low bridge with a clearance of... less than the height of the usual tractor trailer. He ignored the signs but the truck was only a few inches too tall so rather than getting stuck, it peeled about half of the top off the trailer. When he finally arrived, our pallets were covered with splintered wood and aluminum shavings. His hydraulic tailgate didn't work either and I had an exciting hour figuring out how to get the pallets (which are very heavy) off the truck and into the warehouse. I've often wondered what he had to say when he got back to the yard with that trailer.

 

You wouldn't happen to be anywhere near the 11'8" bridge of YouTube fame are you?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Since the '60s Even when living in Indiana & Michigan I always looked for cars with AC - heaters were better, battery/alternator/cooling were all heavy duty and instant defog.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Is it my eyes, the camera angle or is the trailer stopped partially on the road and blocking the traffic lane.  Sure looks like the truck driver deserves a serious fine as does the SUV driver.  Two stupids surely do not make a smart.

 

Maybe it just looks that way because the truck pulled to the side of the road when they felt her enter.

 

That stuff can't happen on a TV show. Her approach would have been in slow motion and she could have steered around it..... maybe.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ply33 said:

 

You wouldn't happen to be anywhere near the 11'8" bridge of YouTube fame are you?

That was the first thing i thought about.  

 

There are some good videos on that channel.  It appears that over time, the state/city has added more and more signage/flashing lights

before that rail bridge, but it still does not stop some drivers from "giving it a try".  Some folks think that "signage" doesn't apply to them.

But, physics still proves that X = X and if one tries to put X + 1 or X + 2 under X, something has to give.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Maybe it just looks that way because the truck pulled to the side of the road when they felt her enter." 

 

Tailgate is down and unlikely she could enter if it wasn't. I see landscape guys stop and unload just about anywhere.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 4:36 PM, JV Puleo said:

I wish I had a picture to post but about 4 years ago I was staying late to unload a shipment of books. The truck was late...and when it arrived we found out why. The driver had tried to pass under a local bridge that has huge signs on either side announcing that it is a low bridge with a clearance of... less than the height of the usual tractor trailer. He ignored the signs but the truck was only a few inches too tall so rather than getting stuck, it peeled about half of the top off the trailer. When he finally arrived, our pallets were covered with splintered wood and aluminum shavings. His hydraulic tailgate didn't work either and I had an exciting hour figuring out how to get the pallets (which are very heavy) off the truck and into the warehouse. I've often wondered what he had to say when he got back to the yard with that trailer.

Most likely fired. Every truck driver I have known would say that is one of the first things you look for. Low bridges.  Better to try to back our than hit one.  I expect unless there were extremely extenuating circumstances anyone too dumb to avoid that(or the owners son) is now in the company history book.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also thought of the 11 foot 8 bridge videos. That bridge is in Durham North Carolina. 

 

It's evil little brother is also fun to watch, unless you are an insurance company.....😯

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-UugI0JoA&t=4s

 

Not only is it a low bridge, the curb on one side throws cars into the other lane for head on collisions!😨 That traffic designer should have been fired.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 11:25 AM, Ronnie said:

Even if you're not stupid sometimes things just don't turn out the way you planned.

 

267317265_truckoverloaded.png.5d34b4974df130b91245521079f35adc.png

  That dump truck reminds me of when a friend bought a Cadillac V12 Fleetwood

   and called a rollback to take it home.  The Cadillac @ 6000 lbs. did that to the

   rollback when it was being unloaded.  Wish I had a picture!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...