Ethanol Free Gas at Convenience Stores...

charlier

A couple of weeks ago my brother stopped at a new Wawa that recently opened in his area on Cedar Crest Blvd. in Allentown, PA. Seems that this Wawa is selling 89 Octane, Ethanol Free Gasoline. One has to wonder if this is something Wawa is doing with all new Wawa locations or a regional thing in specific areas?  The price on the pump in the picture is about 34 cents/gallon less than the place I currently buy my Ethanol Free gas for my Antique Cars and Lawn Mower. Should be interesting to see how sales do at this location. I'd bill willing to bet that sales will spike at this location when the AACA Grand National is held in Allentown in a couple of years.

Anyone else seeing Ethanol Free Gas popping up at new convenience stores in their area? 

Ethanol Free Gas at Wawa.jpg

• Like 2

Many of the gas stations here in CNY have switched over to ethanol free 91 octane, now.  You can Google "E-free gas" and a bunch of websites will come up  that list gas stations across the country that carry E-free gas.

And it's not just better for the old cars.  I switched over to using just E-free in all my small engines. They run better and no more fuel related problems.

Paul

I've been getting mine at a local farm co-op, and I've noticed slightly better mileage using it compared to other NE gas in the area. Stands to reason that a farmer co-op would have a blend that would give a farmer better fuel economy. They also have 50 cetane Diesel which I'm going to try in the Massey-Ferguson 135 tractor next time it needs fuel. The higher cetane supposedly gives quicker starts and better fuel economy.

Pump gas here is about to drop under $2/gallon, and it's tough justifying 75c more per gallon for the co-op gas, but then I think how easy the old station wagon starts with it, and no evaporative fuel smell, and right at 15 mpg when it barely gets 13 on the crap at the pumps...

What's really a pisser is that ALL gasoline is ethanol-free until it goes into the tanker truck. Ethanol gas isn't stable enough to store in tank farms, so they add the crap to the tankers just before they hit the road and hope the vibration on the trip will mix it thoroughly. Then they charge us a premium for non-ethanol gasoline. Just goes to show you what a government subsidy can do for a product.

• Like 3

A bit of a rat hole since AACA will never show tractors (though maybe a MM UDLX would make the cut), but I have a Perkins gas MF135. Great little machine I really enjoy operating. Did you see the diesel MF135 up for raffle at Charlotte earlier this year at the SE meet? No one called to say I won yet....

One of the Wawas here started carrying non-ethanol fuel. it was an older (20 years ?) station that was remodeled.

One can go to their website and enter a zip code (use word zip and 5 digits) and click a box to search only for non-ethanol fuel locations. Widest search is only 20 miles.

Murphy (typically near Walmarts here) can carry non-ethanol fuel. The one in Dahlgren VA does.

Until these two stations started carrying it, I could not get non-ethanol except at marinas far away....

We're seeing more ethanol free gas too.  I would imagine the sales would be there because the carburetors on the small engines don't like ethanol so I'm sure the landscapers are buying it.

We had a serious problem at the firehouse about seven years ago.  We were having issues with the Jaws of Life, the generators, the portable pumps, etc.  What took a long time to find out was that we don't use that equipment everyday, we get our fuel at state bid and it was the ethanol tearing everything up.

There's nothing worse than having someone trapped in a smashed vehicle and you can't get the Jaws started to get them out of the car because the ethanol is causing problems for the gas in the Jaws as well as the gas can with extra gas too.

11 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

One of the Wawas here started carrying non-ethanol fuel. it was an older (20 years ?) station that was remodeled.

One can go to their website and enter a zip code (use word zip and 5 digits) and click a box to search only for non-ethanol fuel locations. Widest search is only 20 miles.

Murphy (typically near Walmarts here) can carry non-ethanol fuel. The one in Dahlgren VA does.

Until these two stations started carrying it, I could not get non-ethanol except at marinas far away....

My local Wawa has gutted their store for a major remodel. A few years ago when they replaced their underground tanks (which stations do every so many years around here) they added Diesel Fuel pumps. I can only hope that when they have to replace their underground tanks again they add a tank for Ethanol Free and start selling it. In the near future Sheetz will be building a new station not a mile away from this Wawa. Should be interesting to see if Sheetz adds Diesel and/or Ethanol free to their offerings when this station is built. Their current station in the area that the new station is replacing does not sell either Diesel or Ethanol Free.

The place where I currently buy Ethanol Free gas for my Antique Cars and small engine devices (Lawn Mower, Weed Wacker, etc) is about a 25-30 mile round trip from my house. This place is a country store that sells 87/89/91 octane Ethanol Free. They do a good gas business selling to Antique Car Owners, Lawn Care Companies and Motorcycle owners. Sure would be nice to have a source for this fuel closer to home.

A few years ago on my way home from an AACA Meet in Lebanon, TN I found a place selling Ethanol Free gas in Virginia by accident. The price was the same price I pay in Pennsylvania for Ethanol gas (thanks to Pennsylvania's tax on gas highest in the USA). Anyway, I filled up my tow vehicle and got about 1.5 MPG more with the Ethanol Free gas towing my enclosed car hauler. If the price of Ethanol Free gas was closer to the Ethanol gas (currently $1.04 more per gallon here) it might be worth it to me to use it more often in my daily driven vehicles. Right now it is not. If more mainstream retailers like Wawa or Sheetz started selling it around here that might help to bring the price down.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:01 PM, Frantz said:

I was excited to see this since my car has been having fuel related problems. However, from the Chicago suburbs, by the time I drive out to one of these places with my Lincoln and drive home, I would need gas again.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Drove the AACA GLIDDEN TOUR in Hastings, Nebraska a few weeks back with our 1941 Cadillac convertible -

the local CASEY'S convenience stores there had a pump dedicated to Non-Ethanol,

a bit more expensive, but our old cars absolutely run better without the resultant problems

• Like 1

I guess I don't know something.  I have never heard of a "Wawa"? Must be a regional thing.

Here in Calicorruptifornia,, it is nearly impossible to legally get non-ethanol gasoline for automobile use. It can be gotten at airports, but is a major crime to use in an automobile on the state roadways.

I better shut up now.

12 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I guess I don't know something.  I have never heard of a "Wawa"? Must be a regional thing.

Here in Calicorruptifornia,, it is nearly impossible to legally get non-ethanol gasoline for automobile use. It can be gotten at airports, but is a major crime to use in an automobile on the state roadways.

I better shut up now.

Wawa is a regional convenience store chain that currently operates 720 stores in Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

• 2 weeks later...

This week a bud drove his 77 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon w/403 Olds engine on a 300 mile round trip. He gassed it up at the farm co-op and on the trip down this car got 19.8 mpg. I don't considerthat unusual because my 78 Olds wagon w/350 has delivered 19+ mpg many times on return trip from Charlotte NC after getting 13.5 mpg on the trip from Danville TO Charlotte- same route, same speeds, same traffic, only difference was Charlotte-sourced gas.

This Estate Wagon came home on a tank of corn squeezings and managed only 16.3 mpg. Again, same route, traffic, speeds. 16.3 isn't terrible on a 4600 lb car with a 403cid engine, but the fact it got 3.5 mpg better mileage on pure gas should tell all you need to know about this ethanol crap. All to make a bunch of greenies feel like they're making a difference in the world, and to make farmers go deep in debt for land and equipment to grow corn.

Still say if early primaries were moved out of corn-producing states you might see reduced emphasis on ethanol.

• Like 1

We don't have an outlet in North Central MD, but we drive to York Sorings, Pa- where Paul's Garage operates a 24-hour fuel island. It's on our way to Carlisle and Hershey so there are plenty of times to gas up. The old cars run better and you don't have to worry about leaving it in the tank over the winter. Let's use the corn to feed cows and people.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SC38DLS said:

I appreciate knowing what/where a WaWa was/is, it would also help if you would say what part of what State you find these stations. I would like to know if any are near me in Lexington KY. Thanks

Dave S 

You can find out by looking here,...

https://www.pure-gas.org/

And there are other e-free gas station listing websites if you Google, "e-free gasoline"

I knew of the near me. That link showed that all the other stations here in town now have e-free gas, also.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

No surprise getting better gas mileage from the e-free gas. Back when 10% ethanol gas first appeared at the pumps it was said to expect about a 10% reduction in gas mileage. 

Ethanol only has 76,000 BTU's per gallon. Unleaded regular has 116,000 BTU's.  

Since the infernal combustion engine is basically just a heat pump to get work done, the more heat the fuel can deliver the less fuel is needed to move the car the same distance. Thin out real gas with ethanol and you get a reduction in mileage.    Likely one of the main reasons why there's so little demand for e-85. E-10 was mandated by law, but e-85 is by choice. It didn't take long for word to get out from flex-fuel car owners about the poor gas mileage with e-85 and not enough savings on price to make up for the loss of mileage.  

And it often brings up the question of less mileage means having to burn more fuel to travel the same distances,... than where's the benefit to the environment ?

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Frank said:

(Wawa)

We have 3 here in our fairly small town, all within a mile of the house. (we are  an exit town off the interstate)   

Only one station has a dedicated pump.  The others have the same delivery hose,  but a selector.  I wonder how much crappy gas you get before you get the stuff you are paying for, as usually it's a junker that's filling up before me and I'm sure they are buying the cheapest 87 corn fuel they can find.  

Of course the one with the designated pump is the smallest busiest station that's the hardest to get in and out of, especially with my big truck when I'm going to get fuel for the yard equipment.  It also has a Dunkin Doughnuts with a drivethrough so the traffic is a never ending cluster.  

I was gone from 1967 to 1971. They cut down the orchard at the south end of town and built a Grant's plaza while I was gone. In the old yard goods store, an empty nester, middle aged woman sells candles, and there is a Mobil convenient store on a 50' traffic circle where my street meets Main. They have pre-made sandwiches all wrapped up but I haven't bought one yet.

When I first left I kind of related to this hit song at the time. Thinking about moving now, maybe a little cabin on Ruby Ridge.

Oh, don't play it more that once, the chorus is pretty easy to get stuck in your head, like for 50 years or so.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

The others have the same delivery hose,  but a selector.  I wonder how much crappy gas you get before you get the stuff you are paying

My local station is the same. Their web site and a sign on the pump recommends pumping the first gallon into a separate container. They say they will have a dedicated pump going in next month..........Bob

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

usually it's a junker that's filling up before me and I'm sure they are buying the cheapest 87 corn fuel they can find.  

I've owned 40 tractors, 8 old cars and various "new" cars over the years.

Since ethanol gas was introduced none of my "junk" has tasted anything other than ethanol gas and I've never experienced a second's worth of trouble with it.

In fact I'm heading to my local gas station this afternoon to fill the tank my '32 junker Confederate with 87 octane ethanol gas.

2 minutes ago, cahartley said:

Since ethanol gas was introduced none of my "junk" has tasted anything other than ethanol gas and I've never experienced a second's worth of trouble with it.

In fact I'm heading to my local gas station this afternoon to fill the tank my '32 junker Confederate with 87 octane ethanol gas.

Count yourself lucky.  The number one country song this week is a story about how things come in waves.  His was good luck,  when the ethanol kicks in,  it Won't be so good.  Ask almost any marina what they think of Ethanol gas.  

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Count yourself lucky.  The number one country song this week is a story about how things come in waves.  His was good luck,  when the ethanol kicks in,  it Won't be so good.  Ask almost any marina what they think of Ethanol gas.  

Cars with metal gas tanks are very different from many boats that have fiberglass tanks.  Alcohol is a solvent and will make the fiberglass go bad.

That said, if you put alcohol gas in an old car that has a lot of residue or varnish in it, the alcohol is like a cleaning agent and will dissolve the junk and start plugging up the fuel filters, carb jets, etc.

1 hour ago, cahartley said:

I also have had the same experience with all of my gasoline vehicles and equipment like chain saws, etc.

BUT............on the issue of fuel economy the alcohol added fuels are awful.  Doing the math though I can not justify the approx. 50 cents per gallon premium for non alcohol added fuel.  Just run the junk and complain to you representatives in congress knowing that they are doing the best for the general public and not the special interests.

• Like 1

Actually with the marine it's the moisture that the corn blend draws in.  Water in the tanks and carbs,  actually eating up the potmetal carbs on boats as well.  Many boats do still have steel tanks.  Atleast 20 years ago when I worked on boats they did.  That was before the blend was mainstream.  

• 3 weeks later...