What did you buy at Hershey?

Laughing Coyote

I'm sure there were a lot of us folks that weren't able to attend Hershey and get to look at all the vendors offerings and beautiful cars on display.  I thought maybe the people that have attended may be able to show us what you bought. One off parts, hard to find or that off the wall item you just had to have. Interested to see what comes up. :)

I'll try to post my annual Hershey haul photo later tonight as I haven't had a chance to unload it all.   I didn't find anything I was looking for , for my own cars,  but being I'm a reseller, it is fun to hunt for all the possible treasures I can find.  I did buy a Willard Battery sign for what  I thought was a good buy considering what signs were being offered for,  as well as a fairly rare Firefighting domed lunch box from the 1950's.  They used to be rare and I had never seen one in person,  though I had Acquired the thermos for one some time ago online.  I had only seen a couple on line a few years ago when my wife was actively collecting them.  Seems they are still fairly rare,  but not very desirable as the last one sold barely broke 100 with the thermos.   Amazing how ebay has changed the market for vintage collectable items.  

I picked up both exterior door handles for my 1929 Ford Business Coupe and a trunk handle. All are restored to show condition. I also found one interior window crank handle and bezel. Still looking for one interior window crank and bezel, I'll keep looking! Only 365 days till HERSHEY!!!

Spent two days and about 10 miles of walking. Found one book at a great price.

For me it is about spending time with friends, seeing AACA members I know and catching up and hunting for hidden treasures. :)

Also bought a crab cake sandwich each day for lunch.  :D

Edited by charlier (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For about two years, I've been quietly looking for a set of these for my Limited:

FogLight.jpg.c39b1bb1018a43eb9254708c94704139.jpg

They are very elusive, unique to the large series cars (they are similar to Chevrolet units, but are about 20% larger). There was one light (not a pair) on eBay recently for $450. I bid but didn't hit reserve and couldn't stomach paying more than that for one light that still needed to be re-chromed. Fortunately, during our walk to lunch on Friday, Melanie spotted these sitting on a table and quietly bought them while I wasn't looking. NOS, still in the original box! Now all I have to do is find the rest of the lights that go with them:

FogLightLenses.jpg.8e9c8fd703224e5ee5197b07d10e7723.jpg

The biggest score wasn't necessarily found at Hershey, but I picked it up there from fellow forum member Bullrun. Large Small (DANG!) series dual carb setup, complete from top to bottom. With luck, the exhaust manifolds aren't cracked and they're usable on the Limited. If not, it'll still be good for spare parts, including another pair of carbs. Thanks, Nick!

DualCarbs.jpg.de4a8f957561fcafbf2d8fe47c1d9b68.jpg

I'm going to throw the exhaust manifolds in the blast cabinet tomorrow and get them cleaned up, then I'll probably have them magnafluxed to check for damage. Let's keep our fingers crossed! WooT!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Grease alemite covers for the 1930 and a trany band for the T. Not a whole lot of parts but also tie down straps for the trailer. Oh I also got some period clothing to go with the hat I got two years ago.

I was also informed about some very good news at Hershey that will include AACA members but I will keep you in suspense just a little longer until the timing is right.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

With my friend at home tending to a family issue, I was stuck in my spaces the entire week, selling '41-'46 Chevy & GMC parts. For the first year in decades I wasn't able to walk the entire swap meet field. On Friday afternoon, I decided to close up at 3pm and take a spin around the car corral. I ended up behind the Guant Center and decided to walk thru the Orange Field to get back to our Green Field spaces. At the first Orange Field space I saw, there was a complete 1946 GMC grille assembly; and the matching headlight units. After a brief and cordial negotiation, I picked them up and headed back. That's the magic if Hershey, I guess.

BTW, my college age son joined me Friday after class and we opened for business on Saturday morning. We managed to make a few sales until we finally closed up at noon and headed over to the car show Field. I was again surprised to talk to folks that arrived Saturday morning after working all week. They were happy to see some vendor spaces still open.  

I do not get to do any looking at the swap meet but this item was at the Lodge.  A magnificent hand built one-of-a-kind race car by artist Tony Sikorski.  #23 just happens to be the number of my Olds Special so after lusting over it for a couple of years Tony made sure that I could buy it!  I could not have been any more excited!

2017-10-06 21.38.46.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

metal tire covers for the side mounts for my Packard touring car that a friend was kind enough to sell me and haul in from Illinois (which my son and I took turns carrying from the Orange Field to the middle of the Chocolate Field to a friends space for him to haul back for us.- those covers will probably add another 70+ lbs to the car, and we were glad to finally put them down) , a manifold  gasket set for my 40 Roadmaster conv sedan, , both "practical" purchases, plus two things in the "non essential, totally 'just cause I liked it' " class - a large ca. 1928 Valentine that was in minty condition and had a roadster at the center as a feature and is obviously a Packard, plus a cast aluminum logo of the CCCA touring car, two sided, not the one that you put up on the garage (still want one of those) . I also always stock up on metal polish, and polishing cloths/rags, and sandpaper.

46 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It is one of the magazines I don't have because my dad threw them out after he read them. 

Please PM me with any information of a support group that he may have used to do that. I know I could do it, but not on my own.

Bernie

• Like 2

Steve,  I hope that car collecting does not go the way of model railroading.

My dad bought is first "collector" car in 1955 and started joining clubs and subscribing about the same time.

Magazines he kept:

1. CCCA quarterlies

2. Road and Track

3. RROC

4. ACD magazines

Magazines he tossed:

1. Hemmings

2. Cars and Parts

3.  All club bulletins

4.  All AACA publications pre 2000.

It gets easier after you cut the first one loose Bernie.  I sold my old house which literally housed my magazine collection.  When I was moving and deciding I just couldn't fill my new office to the hilt with my pristine rodding magazine collection,  I turned my head the other way and made a huge pile of every issue of rodding magazine I had collected since I was about 16 and carefully looked at and stored so they still looked new, to head to the recycle bin.  I really wished I could have found a kid that would have liked them.  I would have gladly filled their trunk and back seat right full.  I saved the 60's and back ones I had collected, but any car mags resto or rod newer than the 70's got recycled.   

I did haul all my records to the new home to go through as I didn't have time there and once in a great while I dig off my old console stereo and listen to a few of them. 

It's easy if you start with the trader magazines first.  Remember,  baby steps. 

I rarely keep a Hemmings more than a month or two now. 

Despite my broken leg, still managed to get out a bit and find some goodies.  Susan also did some power-shopping and snagged a lot of neat MG collectibles.  I got into a newly opened collection of pins, buttons, etc and bought a lot of great early stuff.  Found advertising letter openers, some NOS Model T accessories for my old parts store recreation, spark plugs for the collection, and am still trying to figure out how to afford a really nice piece that may be a post Hershey acquisition.  One thing I'd like to learn more about is this neat pin that came to me from a good friend. 

The best parts of Hershey included the chance to see old friends.  There were so many who just dropped in to say hi and their encouragement was tremendous as my leg heals toward next year's event. 

Terry

Pensy pin.JPG

Al, people were buying, at least up in the NE corner of the Red Field. We arrived at noon on tuesday, set up and things were slow until about 4 pm, when one fellow decided to buy some steel toy buses and pother stuff I had, Wednesday was amazing, about 2/3 of what I had went home with happy owners. I was pleased to hear three people tell me "you have nice stuff". when we packed up Friday afternoon, only one large Buddy L water tower steel toy truck and a JeP Alfa P2 race car went home with us and that may leave here in a post Hershey sale. It was my best year for sales yet. I still have a few Pierce Arrow and Franklin instructions books that didn't find new owners as well. All in all a great event.

I bought this accessory running-board mounted trunk from the 1920's.  The only time I had ever seen one before was on a Marmon that ran the 1997 Peking-to-Paris race.  I think it will be an unusual and useful accessory on my Marmon touring car, which has a rear-mounted spare and no trunk.

RB Trunk.jpg

RB Trunk Peking to Paris.jpg

I stayed at my spot most of the swap meet, so didn't go "shopping".....but had a fellow go by with a stone guard tied to a little wagon, with a for sale sign on it....and it was a Pierce Arrow stone guard!  He'd apparently gotten it with some other small parts, I believe he was French so he said he couldn't take on plane....price was quickly negotiated to a reasonable $100 so I bought it.....nice when parts come to you!

I believe the attendance was less this year, despite beautiful weather....but I sold a ton of stuff, and was very happy with going home with a lot less stuff!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

It is good to see someone was buying.  After day one I would have thought nobody was.

I have to agree with you on that one. I just thought traffic was slow for good weather, not just because i sold less but we did noticed many people walking around empty handed

One of my neighbors commented on the same thing, people not only walking around empty handed, but walking down the row barely looking at the wares.

for example, I had everything from brass lamps to promo model cars to ride on toys to spark plug terminal extensions.....and many who took a moment to look found and bought something of interest.....

A passing glance at a vendor space is a waste of time, one has to search.....my best finds at Hershey over the years have been because I really looked hard.....or asked!  Once, a fellow had a bunch of bicycle lamps, and I asked if he had a Pierce lamp....he said he did, but didn't put it on display because he figured no one would buy it...but I did and it's one of my prize pieces of Pierce memorabilia....

My dad would spend 10 hours a day for 4 days stopping at every single vendor.  By the time I would show up on Thursday he would always have found some kind of jewel.   He's on a scooter now but still tries to at least cover the Chocolate field. 

I was talking to a friend today who has a big tent setup. He said it started slow but ended up having a great year.  But he pointed out that he thinks most people are coming to socialize and not so much for parts scrounging.

Well like Annie I bought lunch and a Good Humor Ice cream.  I did stop by Frank's "Granite Save A Battery" tent and bought his new design battery tester.  Also bought some Meguire"s 305 ultra polish and a small container of polymer finish "wax".  Also found a bunch of reasonable but correct micro towels.  Also I bought a Griots surface prep mitt to hopefully replace my claying bars!  Now to find a vehicle to experiment on some of the above as not sure I will be using some of the above on the 61 & 62 SS cars.

Robert

My running mate got a killer deal on a pair of original Max Wedge carbs!  

I brought back a bunch of memories.   First, my buddy was a Hershey newby , and he was the one that found the carbs.  We also went to the museum, the Tucker display was AWESOME! Went to the overflow storage buildings and helped do some work on a 28 Whippet.   Plus wandered around looking at the cars.  What a great introduction to AACA for my buddy.

This my first time in 10 years to go to Hershey. i had a ball just looking at everything and trying to keep up with Rocky. my legs were hurting daily!  I was looking for some trunk trim for my 65 Dart.  i need the DODGE letters for a 65 Dart 270.  I didn't find them,  but not for lack of trying.

dodeng.jpg

2017_03300105.JPG

2017_03300003.JPG

9394558611_4b4d95f9ef_z.jpg

Edited by Yoda (see edit history)

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Nah, that can't be the Centralia, Pa. Fire Department. Is the flag covering the ia?

image.jpeg.778867eb51c65b4caec0d1d679f0b0ef.jpeg

Not too far from Hershey and still burning.

I'd never seen one of those lunchboxes.  That would be an 800 series American LaFrance depicted on that.  The 800 series ran roughly from 1953-1958 before being replaced by the 900 series.  The way to tel the 800 series trucks is because it has the 700 series front with the compartments on the back of it.

Speaking of 700 series trucks, we have a 700 series ladder truck in our collection that shares space with a 1971 American LaFrance Ladder Chief (with a Century series cab).

IMG_9012.JPG

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:53 PM, trimacar said:

One of my neighbors commented on the same thing, people not only walking around empty handed, but walking down the row barely looking at the wares.

for example, I had everything from brass lamps to promo model cars to ride on toys to spark plug terminal extensions.....and many who took a moment to look found and bought something of interest.....

A passing glance at a vendor space is a waste of time, one has to search.....my best finds at Hershey over the years have been because I really looked hard.....or asked!  Once, a fellow had a bunch of bicycle lamps, and I asked if he had a Pierce lamp....he said he did, but didn't put it on display because he figured no one would buy it...but I did and it's one of my prize pieces of Pierce memorabilia....

I saw the same thing.  There weren't a lot of people carrying stuff over in the red field either.

I think my pet peave is you can tell who watches American Pickers and Pawn Stars.  They're the ones who use the terms "bundling" "petinna" or they ask you your lowest price and then offer you half of what your lowest price is.  One gentleman stopped by my space to visit and was talking how the American Pickers have driven up the price on things that you couldn't give away 10 years ago.  The Pickers and Pawn Stars lingo was non existent at Hershey ten years ago

The Pickers and Pawn Stars wannabes taught me to is raise my prices and don't give my bottom price.  They think they're getting a deal, when in all actuality they're getting the price I was looking to get to begin with, but I raised the price to accomodate for the "picker" way of doing business.  If it wasn't for that mentality, my list prices would be a lot lower, but there isn't a single thing that I've put out that I wouldn't take less money for.

I had a gentleman approach my flea market spot looking to sell items.  He set the price, I felt it was good, and I didn't try to beat him up to get it at a lower price.  He wanted me to make him an offer, my offer would've been higher than what his price was, but I didn't make him an offer for fear of insulting him.

I am convinced the people who beat people up on price aren't even AACA members because I never see that kind of stuff going on at the smaller meets.  A couple of years ago I remember when someone stole Steve Moskowitz' camera at Hershey, yet most other meets you'd never see that happen either, so I'm convinced that it is someone not from within the ranks of AACA. 

Hershey is a great event, it draws a lot of people, but it doesn't always draw the right people.  Usually when I'm buying at Hershey, I'm buying restoration supplies to get me through until next year (tires, paint, sandpaper, grommets, screws, rubber weatherstripping, electrical supplies, cleaning supplies, etc.).

As far as selling, it all depends on quality of stuff you have, and do you want to take it home.

The demeanor of the would be buyer can make a difference, too.   When someone starts criticizing condition, for example, price starts getting firmer.   Same with people who pick something up and say "I don't know anything about this horn/light/whatsit", the whole time inspecting each little thing....in many cases they're trying to act as the "ignorant buyer" so you'll lower price.

Also, I much prefer the buyer who makes a fair offer, rather than one who says "what's your best price".....a fair offer, he's bought it, if you name a lower price on your item, then not only can he walk away, but you've opened the door to an even lower offer,

You have to be willing not to sell and let them walk away.....

My good stuff, I priced at fair market value, many cases sold with no dickering.  My junky stuff that I just wanted rid of, I'd name a silly low price....so low they couldn't refuse!  The dollars add up.  

I had one really sad toy truck, offered the guy the truck and a dollar if he'd just take it away....didn't work!  But, it was trash can sad....