Rant alert - bellyaching about TV car shows

Dosmo

Sitting inside on a dreary winter day, I start scrolling the TV channels with my remote.  I know better than to think that there is the tiniest chance that there is another old car show worth watching besides Wayne Carini’s show on Velocity, but I’m desperate, so I start looking at the channel guide on the screen just to see if anything seems as though it’s worth a look.

I won’t name the show, but the program info says this:  Three guys spot a 1956 Chevrolet Nomad in the middle of a muddy field, leading them to the holy grail of car collections.  Knowing better, but doing it anyway, I set the DVR to record the show.  I’m thinking, a Nomad in a muddy field, that DOES sound kind of interesting.

Later, I turn on the TV, and the show begins.  A couple of guys in a pickup truck going down the road tell a story about a buddy spotting a Nomad in a barn – in fact, they are on the way to this place to check the car out.  They pull up to a farm and there is a huge barn – immediately, a guy walks out, introductions are made, and the two guys state that their purpose is to see the Nomad.  The owner says, yeah, I’ve got a Nomad, but it’s not here, it’s in another shed, and I’m getting ready to go down there.  You two can go with me, but the shed is in a field and we have to ride horses to get there.

As I’m watching, I’m thinking about the program info that says a Nomad is spotted in the middle of a muddy field.  Maybe, THAT Nomad is sitting outside at the other shed location.  The three guys arrive at the other shed on horseback  - nope, no cars outside.  Inside, however, is a fairly nice 56 Nomad, not exactly original, not exactly stock, but a reasonably nice wagon with updated drive train and non-stock wheels and tires.  The two buyers are obviously interested, and one of them keeps hamming it up, talking to the camera, saying stuff like, This is THE coolest Nomad I have EVER seen, blah blah blah.  This guy is amazed by the chrome strips adorning the headliner, and, in general, the amount of chrome the car came with from the factory.  He is amazed by the side windows in the cargo area that slide open, and in particular, he comments about the rocket tail lights.  The owner asks him if he can find the gas cap – the guy stands at the back of the car, says “it ain’t under the plate, is it, it’s too low”.  The owner walks over to the left tail light, turns the rotating section about the lens, and tilts the light out, exposing the gas cap.  “WOW, look at that”, says the other guy, “that is cool”.

What kind of serious car guy doesn’t know this about a 56 Chevrolet?  Whoever came up with the idea for this show must think the people that watch it know nothing about old cars.  I guess in a way that is true, because the only people that could stand to watch it would be people possessed of limited knowledge of the subject matter.  No car collector with any significant knowledge or sophistication could take this drivel seriously.  The only reason I had given this show a look at all was because the guide info had mentioned a muddy Nomad in a field.  What a load of bunk THAT was.

Anyway, they make a deal for the Nomad, and the seller tells them of another guy with some old cars.  So, they go to the second seller’s place.  He also has his cars stored inside and the two cars that pique the interest of the buyers are a 56 Bel Air Convertible and a 67 Corvette.  In short order, they make a deal to buy the 56 Bel Air Convertible and the 67 Vette for $87,500.  As the camera pans over the cars one last time, a caption appears with these words:  “1956 Mercury Chevrolet Bel Air / 1967 Corvette – Purchase price $87,500 – Estimated value $96,000.

I had to pause and reverse the DVR to look at the caption again – Mercury Chevrolet Bel Air.  Does anyone associated with this show have any real knowledge of what they’re talking about?  Does anyone care?  Maybe the people doing the proof reading are people that know nothing about old cars - but, that just jumped out at me.

Sorry, it’s probably a good bet that no one cares about this post - it's just another rant.  The subject of annoying old car TV shows has been covered extensively, and I’m not covering any new ground here.

I just wish that there could be ONE classic car show with good subject matter that didn’t focus on flipping cars for profit, or customizing just for the sake of customizing.  A show that doesn’t feature a bunch of characters spewing out a bunch of words that sound like they could only be found in the urban dictionary.  A show that doesn’t concentrate on manufactured drama, because no car collector with any level of sophistication cares anything about that.

All right, I’m done…….

Edited by Dosmo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dosmo said:

...I won’t name the show, but the program info says this:  Three guys spot a 1956 Chevrolet Nomad...

Dosmo, you can go ahead and name the show.

Maybe some of us will want to check it out,

and maybe some of us won't.  We know that it's

not truly "reality."

Our AACA region's newsletter did an interview a year ago

with car collector Jay Leno, about his own television show.

He said, "You know I do Jay Leno's Garage on the web;

that's a little more technical.  But for this show, since it's

a mainstream TV audience, we just try to make it

interesting for people...."

Even if every one of our 60,000 A.A.C.A. members watched

a car-related show, those numbers wouldn't be enough to 

sustain it on television.  So, alas, we won't be getting

any in-depth histories of Nash, or learning the intricacies

of owning a 1924 Chrysler or a 1972 Lincoln, on television.

To get anything close to that, you'll have to see Jay Leno's

videos on his website. 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The funny thing is, even non car people like to hear unusual facts and inside stories about cars, or anything else. I don't know who their dumbed down audience is. Maybe the same people who get high and turn on the TV hoping to find a show about blowing stuff up. In other words, morons. Are there that many morons, to make a demographic big enough that all entertainment has to be for them?

Jay Leno's Youtube episodes are probably the best of the lot but even he makes me cringe sometimes. His knowledge is often superficial and occasionally wrong. Nice cars though.

My life is less stressful without a TV or radio....for 8 years now.

You sheeple have no idea how it mind controls you in one way or another.  It is pure evil, including the news and ads.  It sets your mind tone for that day or week.

Get away for a year and you will understand.

Remember how upset Elvis would get, that he did target practice on his TV.....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, F&J said:

You sheeple have no idea how it mind-controls you in one way or another...

I eliminated television from my life about a year ago.

I find that I don't miss it a bit.  I agree with you, F&J,

that people involved in the entertainment industry, in general,

have among the lowest morals of any people in the civilized world.

Most people probably don't realize the extent of their degradation, either.

And I agree that that industry tries to manipulate public opinion,

subtly and gradually, or not-so-subtly sometimes, with

their content.

There were occasional programs that were decent,

but I found on TV nothing that was actually uplifting--except for old shows.

I can watch Jay Leno's car videos on internet, or go read a book!

9 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Dosmo, you can go ahead and name the show.

Maybe some of us will want to check it out,

and maybe some of us won't.  We know that it's

not truly "reality."

I decided to forgo naming the show because I figured that it is possible, maybe even likely, that some of the people in the show are decent folks that are just getting their chance to make a living in the hobby.  I wrote a similar rant a few years ago about another, more popular show in which I included the show's name, along with some of the characters.  I found one character, in particular, to be annoying, and I guess a lot of others did, too.  Some of the comments generated by that post trended toward the mean side of things.

In a way, this forum is another form of social media, though it seems nothing like Facebook.  It just seems like Facebook brings out the meanness in people.  I don't wish to say anything mean about anyone associated with any TV show - I just keep hoping that someone, somewhere, will come up with an idea for a show, whether it be on the Internet or on TV, that is based on a premise that appeals to the more serious hobbyist.

Most car shows are trying to appeal to people who aren't car people, since most people aren't.  They know a lot of car people will watch regardless just because there is a car on the show.  You have to watch them like I do, just to look at cars.  99% of them make no sense in terms of the money or what they are saying.  The ones that are the most realistic actually get the worse ratings and are on the smaller cable networks because the general audience doesn't get into the nuts and bolts of the actual car industry. 

1 hour ago, Dosmo said:

I just keep hoping that someone, somewhere, will come up with an idea for a show, whether it be on the Internet or on TV, that is based on a premise that appeals to the more serious hobbyist

I am finding a lot of car restoration type channels on YouTube.   There are so many people out there doing videos, that you can find one that meets your type of budget, or quality levels...or junkyard tours, car shows, etc...

Also, plenty of videos there that may not be car related, but show you how to sew upholstery, re-cast broken/missing parts, how-to-clean things, find an old lathe and how to run it to make threads or parts, ...you name it.

You can live a life, or watch stuff that upsets you.

My point is that you can learn a lot of useful interesting things there, rather than listening to "who had the best Superbowl commercial",. or how many TV car show guys/gals are all pierced/tattooed up?... Geez, how mentally dead can a person be, that cares about that?

I used to watch This Old House back in the early 1980s when I tore my house apart on a budget.  I had to wait another week to see how the next step was done, when I was following, and making my own kitchen cabinets.  The Yuppies won out, and that show changed, and then was more about "how to write checks to the builders", or how to spend $8000 on just mood lighting in the huge kitchen.  I'm not BS-ng about that 8K bill, I never went back after that.

• Like 3

Quality programming, and a quality format for a show would be easy to do. If the goal was to highlight the hobby/trade/industry. And the talent and skill of the people who do the work. But as long as winners and losers are picked based on who will give up the most to make it happen. Not much will get any better. Jacking people in their private lives to get a rise out of them on TV does not help to promote this incredible industry. If people want things to improve, an honest conversation about some of the things that go on would get the ball rolling. 

5 hours ago, F&J said:

You sheeple have no idea how it mind controls you in one way or another.  It is pure evil, including the news and ads.  It sets your mind tone for that day or week.

Get away for a year and you will understand.

Remember how upset Elvis would get, that he did target practice on his TV.....

I, for one, enjoy the TV and radio, and see no reason for you to have insulted ("you sheeple") those of us who do.  Without the insult, I would have appreciated your insight on this matter; however, resorting to insult often indicates one is running short of logic.  Since you now avoid the stress of the TV or radio, how do you get your news?

Cheers,

Grog

3 hours ago, padgett said:

And now for the real Velocity question of the day: what happened to Robin ?

Ted assaulted her, left severe bruises and such. She is doing what she needs to do to separate from him. I always thought he was not a good guy and he wanted show car prices for projects. Fake and staged crap. I hope she is successful wherever she goes.

That is sad. Always thought she was the brains of the operation. Does explain Lucy.

Never made it down there (about 4 hour drive) and now I won't bother.

DVR the shows and fast forward a lot, more entertainment than fact. Seems like more trash lately. I do think Wayne is a class act (met briefly once).

2 hours ago, capngrog said:

I, for one, enjoy the TV and radio, and see no reason for you to have insulted ("you sheeple") those of us who do....  

Grog, I think the criticism was aimed primarily at the programming.

Sheep are noted as inoffensive creatures who follow their shepherd,

so I didn't take that as an insult.  It's a caution, though, for us always to

think for ourselves and never take for granted that the media are

telling us the truth.  The media are not shepherds that we should follow.

But I do wish someone would broadcast some thorough car histories!

2 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

Mark Twain said, if you don't read the paper, you are uninformed. If you do read the paper, you are misinformed

6 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Grog, I think the criticism was aimed primarily at the programming.

Sheep are noted as inoffensive creatures who follow their shepherd,

so I didn't take that as an insult.  It's a caution, though, for us always to

think for ourselves and never take for granted that the media are

telling us the truth.  The media are not shepherds that we should follow.

See, not everyone believes in mainstream venues for news or entertainment (and the ads that come with both).

As far as ads; back when Ford was suffering from "sales issues" with the Explorers, they ran a TV commercial showing a perfect little family; Handsome Dad, pretty Mom, and young daughter and son in the back...out in the FOREST with no roads, driving through deep snow...then Dad stops so they can all watch as Bambi crosses in front..  The whole family all smiling, and so happy.   Reality? No.  The average Explorer sat in traffic or rushing to a job they can't stand, or heading back home to a life they can't stand.  But nobody would admit that.

News? you get what "they" want you to see, to tweak your mind or actions.  I woke up to that sick fact while watching CBS "live" coverage of the surprise US Marine beach invasion into Somalia..  Geez, Dan Rather-not was already on shore waiting for the troops in rubber rafts to sneak in.  Dan had the whole beach lit up with camera floodlights so we could see the patriotic thrill of it all.  This was done only because somebody's popularity was sagging in the polls.  But it all went so terribly bad for countless and now forgotten parents, that later watched their dead sons bodies dragged through the streets by cars.

.News.TV.Etc.

this will get deleted, but at least a few will see it

I for one do not watch this type of reality show. My own experience a few years ago I had a major fishing show approach me on doing a show on my property. I told them I was not interested as it may draw people wanting to come and fish also. Plus I do not need the headache's with my insurance company already giving me warnings. Anyway make a long story short they got permission from a fellow up the road where I have visited before and know his land. When the show was aired it showed them driving four wheelers through rough terrain to get to the river for several miles. For the live of me I do not know where they were driving as you could drive a low rider car about 200 Ft. to get to the river bank from the road. I would think car shows not being filmed much different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amphicar BUYER said:

Ted assaulted her, left severe bruises and such. She is doing what she needs to do to separate from him. I always thought he was not a good guy and he wanted show car prices for projects. Fake and staged crap. I hope she is successful wherever she goes.

I am surprised that Velocity would even film another season with baggage like that in this day and age, athletes who do the same sort of crap at least get suspended.

I agree it is fake and staged BS cars are border line drivers at best,  if a car looks bad on TV imagine how bad the cars must be in person?

3 hours ago, Amphicar BUYER said:

John,

What's the source of your information?  I'd like to follow up on that.  I'd heard some rumors to the effect of what you said, but I've seen no substantial information.

Cheers,

Grog

Chasing Classic Cars is the best of the Velocity car shows if you enjoy seeing cars found and  flipped. Bitchin Rides is the best show if you enjoy seeing quality workmanship, and a nice finished product in a normal two year build time of 5-7 thousand hours. Bob

A long time ago, when I had less experience dealing with individuals that do not share my values; I received a telephone call from one of the satelite channel car shows that then actually fixed up older cars. They had heard that our carburetor rebuilding kits were the best available, and if we would supply them with a rebuilding kit, they would mention "their friends at the carburetor shop" as a supplier. Was a fairly inexpensive kit, so I said OK, where do I send it. They gave the address, and I shipped the kit. About two weeks later, I received a contract from their legal department thanking me for the kit and informing me that the credit would be rolled at the end of the show with the other credits, but if I signed the contract AND send it back to them along with a money order for $2500. that the guy rebuilding the carburetor would mention us at the time of rebuilding.

We still had a wood stove at the time, so I did get some use out of that contract! ;)

I never even watched for the episode. I have no idea, nor do I care, what they said.

Its all about the money!

Jon.

Much-discussed topic. My favorite show would have Wayne Carini finding/picking the cars with Roger working on the older cars and Edd China working on the others. The only humor would be Roger or Edd having a little fun while blowing through a carburetor, or testing spark, or...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, padgett said:

Add Larry from Restoration Garage and we'd have a show.

We watched the first episode of the new show last week on Discovery Velocity, its now called Guild Garage.  The main reason my wife watches the shows is because of Roger, Edd and Larry, they remind her of her 80 year old mechanic up the street who has looked after her cars for the past 35 years. 

Bob

On 2/8/2017 at 9:21 PM, Dosmo said:

A show that doesn’t concentrate on manufactured drama, because no car collector with any level of sophistication cares anything about that.

All right, I’m done…….

And I'll begin....... :wacko:

Even Cuban Chrome, which I enjoy, has to have some manufactured drama, ie: an unrealistic time line.

Even in Cuba the car HAS to be done for a once a year car show or the owner simply won't live another year.

Well.......I'd rather put up with the Cuban drama than the same crap on every single car show on TV.

It doesn't matter which show........there is always some IMPOSSIBLE time line but they always get done.......baloney!

I'd much see a deadline come and go than try to convince me an entirely new interior can be installed in 5 hours!

All right........now I'm done....... :P

Mike 6024,

Thanks for the links.  I'm not a Facebook participant, and I wasn't able to find anything on the above link that discussed allegations of domestic violence concerning Ted and Robin.  Perhaps it's just because I don't know how to research things on Facebook.  What I did find in the above link was a lot of speculative mindless gossip about the Ted and Robin breakup.  Is that what Facebook is all about?

I've purchased two cars from Ted Vernon over the years.  The first deal was with Ted only, and I think I got a pretty good buy (1947 Crosley Sedan).  On the second deal, both Ted and Robin worked me, and I think I came out second best (1970 VW).  With that said, I've known (acquainted with them ... we didn't hang out together) both Ted and Robin for a number of years, and I've known Ted prior to Robin's appearance on the scene.  Ted is a true character, and I enjoy his company, but Ted is what he is: a self-promoter and a super salesman of old cars of dubious quality.  I've never detected a strain of violence in Ted, but, as I've said, I am not a close friend.  Robin, in my opinion, is a class act, and I'm sorry to hear stories of the breakup with Ted.  As I said, I like both Robin and Ted and wish them and their son the best.

As a point of interest, The State of Florida has very strict laws concerning domestic violence (F.S. 741.28).  Under my limited understanding of the law (I'm not a lawyer), if their is documented evidence of injury, neither party to a domestic violence dispute needs to bring charges for prosecution to proceed.  If domestic violence did occur in this high profile situation, I'm surprised that some ambitious young prosecutor hasn't brought charges against Ted.

Cheers,

Grog

16 hours ago, carbking said:

I received a contract from their legal department thanking me for the kit and informing me that the credit would be rolled at the end of the show with the other credits, but if I signed the contract AND send it back to them along with a money order for $2500. that the guy rebuilding the carburetor would mention us at the time of rebuilding.

Ah, the old Nigerian carburetor kit scam. I would watch that whole story about the letter and burning it in the stove if Ken Burns produced your story. Maybe Stacey Keach could read the letters.

Bernie

Grog: do not have to log in to see the Facebook page (just ignore the nag screen) but have to scroll down a long was. Is a photograph. I do understand that her appearance has changed greatly (noticed a little at the end of the last season).

For anything else, the court records in Florida are public and usually web accessible. Miami is in Dade county. Personally am not that interested. Only used car (have bought new ones from dealers) remember as bought from a dealer was a Fiero/V6/4 speed that was taken in on a trade and the dealer neither understood nor wanted any part of it.

So I record several of the shows so can fast forward (the third shot of the Power Wagon winch drum was two to many). In general I avoid long beards ( anyone remember Isadora Duncan ? How can they tune an engine ?)

Bottom line, is mindless entertainment but can fill an hour or two with humor for no cost.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, padgett said:

Bottom line, is mindless entertainment but can fill an hour or two with humor for no cost.

Padgett,

You hit the nail directly on the head there.  That's all this T.V. stuff is: ENTERTAINMENT!  Some of the contrived drama (CD) can be a bit much at times, but one encounters CD in most entertainment.  It's found in novels, movies (good and bad), Shakespeare, and in just about every entertainment medium.  If one wants a true "reality" show, try one of the first: "Cops".  I'm afraid that many of the problems with today's popular "news" media is that they have to be somewhat entertaining to stay up in the ratings game.  It's too bad that many of the media have gone overboard with the drama/entertainment routine.

Cheers,

Grog

7 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

If you want to be educated - read a book.

If you want to be entertained - watch television.

It has been that way since television and books came into existence.

Jim

Jim, please allow me, if I may, to add to your apothegms.

I don't want to be critical of the entertainment industry, but

in my opinion they very much deserve it:

If you want to be educated, read an insightful or inspired book.

If you want to be entertained, as well as have your thoughts manipulated

so you accept the suggestions of Hollywood, watch current television.

If you want to have good family fun, participate in a car club!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1