Rant alert - bellyaching about TV car shows

Dosmo

Possibly the best car related show is Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee with Jerry Seinfeld. He really seems to like and care about the old cars. You get to see them in action on the street and see a couple of comedians discussing their craft and careers. This is an illustration of what I said before, the cars and conversation are more interesting even to someone who is not into cars or show business, than anything the producer or director could dream up. But if it was a typical "reality"  show they would ham it up and kill about 3/4 of what makes it interesting. If you haven't seen it, watch a few episodes and you will see what I mean.

Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee by Jerry Seinfeld

• Like 1

One of the more real to life shows, PICKERS, when Frank and Mike come across Cars and Motor Cycles that are true Barn Finds.. Fun to watch them struggle to get the cars and bikes out to see their condition. Some of the places they go are amazing and something that can't be staged. Reminds me of how I liked to spend a day in a You Pull It  Auto Junk Yard looking for parts. 

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Doug Novak said:

One of the more real to life shows, PICKERS, when Frank and Mike come across Cars and Motor Cycles that are true Barn Finds.. Fun to watch them struggle to get the cars and bikes out to see their condition. Some of the places they go are amazing and something that can't be staged. Reminds me of how I liked to spend a day in a You Pull It  Auto Junk Yard looking for parts. 

These guys attend the big motor cycle swap meets as does a close friend of mine.

My friend tells me that most of the items they haggle over are planted.

I like the show and agree that they do some times go to a lot of work to get the items out into the light, but they rarely show those efforts. I suspect that they have labor for that. 

I keep thinking that if I ever get over to Iowa I will stop in and visit with Danny Dee.

Pickers.

One thing for sure is they do get invited to many of the locations, with a description in advance as to what they will be looking at, and what to expect. Someone schedules a time and date to be there. Also, they do what they call Free Wheeling while traveling, looking for places that may be sources of items of interest. Someone, other then Frank or Mike, makes the initial contact to see if they can get in and set up the film crew, to be there in advance of their arrival. This could also allow for a someone to look over what's there and work with the resident to prepare or relocate items to some degree. Still, that's TV and for it to be interesting, and continued in a way that they can come up with enough filming for a full season, things are most likely done to make it happen. I think it comes across as reasonably believable.

Pickers:  A year ago I had a brief conversation with a car collector acquaintance whose stuff was picked on one show.  He said the total crew was at least 25 people, including director, camera and sound people, makeup, etc.  They only bought a few small items from him, but half were "salted" (not his); he wouldn't budge from "outrageous" (not his word) prices on better stuff.  He said it was totally scripted in advance.  He agreed to do the show only because he was looking for free publicity on a semi-high-dollar car that they weren't interested in purchasing anyway.  He didn't mention whether and how much additional $$ he received.

These shows are the same as all TV shows. Meant to appeal to LCD. Lowest Common Denominator. To bring in the largest audience possible while spending the least amount on production and charging the maximum rate for advertising. It's just business, quality has ZERO to do with it. Fringe audiences such as true gear heads are not the target, but they'll take us anyways.

I can't stand to watch any of them now, but I was really intriguied when they 1st started appearing. There's only a few scripts, very few talented writers, directors or producers involved, probably none of them car guys.

Thank God for remotes and the internet!!

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:19 AM, Rusty_OToole said:

Possibly the best car related show is Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee with Jerry Seinfeld. He really seems to like and care about the old cars. You get to see them in action on the street and see a couple of comedians discussing their craft and careers.

Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee by Jerry Seinfeld

Hey Rusty, glad you mentioned this show, I also think it is a real gem.  Not a reality show (thankfully) and not really about the nuts and bolts of the cars, but beautifully filmed and paced and respectful of the cars.  As a relaxed and enjoyable interview and commentary it is one of my favorites, Todd C

Danny Dee does not actually work at any of the Picker's stores. She is an actress/TV personality, not a sales girl. The Pickers had spaces 

across from us in the Red field at Hershey the year the show started. Their good friend still has the spaces and fills us in on what really goes on with the show. It's TV folks, it's all scripted.