Are you "cursed" with a rare car that requires you to keep alot of extra parts?

auburnseeker

As I clean out my shop and storage facilities to complete it's sale,  I have come to realize that my 1936 Cord has turned into almost a curse of sorts.  It doesn't have it's original drivetrain but is cosmetically very correct, so I have been acquiring parts to convert it back to it's original configuration.  

In the process of cleaning,  I have realized as I condense them into one place,  exactly how many parts I have accumulated for it.  Still lacking the actual engine and tranny though.  I have multiple sets of axles, brakes, and more miscellaneous drivetrain related parts than you can believe.  Mush of it being small somewhat unique looking parts that may not even go to a Cord that I have felt compelled to keep.  I would say 2 truck loads of this stuff and the car 1/2 full of the better NOS and rechromed parts.  

Do any of you feel almost the same type of curse with any of your cars?  I mean some of the stuff I could probably just scrap but I don't know until I actually do the conversion back.  

It was a treat to come across a bucket full of Model A stuff (mostly brake related)  that I was keeping for a Model A my son will one day get to redo.  I was able to glance in it,  scoop a few things up in my hand and junk the entire bucket of scrap parts  (none of which were pristine.) knowing I could easily replace any one if i needed them with a quick phone call.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I have manuals for most cars I've had and for all that I have now. Know there are two or three engines out there (and a correct date code 400 long block for my Judge) plus a 421 plus a '77 400 complete and only have one car that needs a Pontiac V8. Do have a complete 3800 power train in the garage for my Reattae and another in its own shed. Thought about taking the GTP to the TRR and found I can completely fill the trunk with just parts for it (do need a nice leather AQ9 interior for the '93 GTP if someone has one that is mobile).

Only reason I have four floor jacks is because I gave one away, Do think if there is a garage sale in my future, will need to put the ad in Hemmings.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I still have parts I bought for cars I sold years ago.

I did too but I found those easiest to part with.

My business is selling parts so it's almost twice as hard to outright scrap stuff.  Though I did send 10 pretty nice starters/ generators to the scrap yard today.  I hated to do it,  but figured I would never get around to selling them.  I did wholesale out three huge piles of stuff at probably 1 cent on the dollar just to avoid having to be the guy that threw out all the new old stock stuff.  It was good to clean out,  but hard to decide what to toss.  Especially when my wife pulled a pair of shocks out of my scrap pile (NOS Delco ones)  that we brought home and after some sleuthing discovered they fit High performance 60's Corvettes with Special Heavy duty race suspension.  They sold for over 800 for the pair on ebay.  I started them at $30.  The next 9 sets still brought around 100 a pair for different 60's cars including a few sets for Chevelles.  I have a few crates full to go.  They were literally in the scrap pile more than once.  I have a huge new shop planned but until it is built I have had to condense my packed shop into one half as big and put all my advertising, parts and cars in their.   Not fun when you are still trying to make a clean workspace. 

I used to feel somewhat cursed when I was first starting on my old cars. I was 13. All I ever saw at swap meets were Model T, Model A and Chevrolet parts. I NEVER found any 1931 Dodge Brothers parts. I would tell people at the parts stores what car I had and they would bust out laughing....as they were telling me, "so sorry....no". It wasn't until I went to Hershey at the age of 16 that I found an n.o.s. radiator shell for my '31. Then....a looooong drought of parts. I had to write a million letters in order to find the needed parts. Then, the internet came along. All of a sudden I am finding parts for the '31 and getting as many as I can find. I have slowed down a bit on buying the stuff, but I no longer feel cursed to own a car that they only made a little over 3,000 (business coupes) of. I am certain that if I was to sort my parts, I would be giddy to find that I have at least a couple of everything for the car(s).

I once went to Reno to look at a very early Buick that was for sale.  Another brass car had just sold out of the garage, and there was an early Model T limo (very tall car) in the corner of the garage.  The garage was neat as could be, not a part in sight, the gentleman had passed on.  When I asked about extra parts for the Buick, the reply was "he kept none, figured is something broke he'd fix the one on the car!"

As I stare at the 4 or 5 spare engines I have, plus piles of parts.....think he had the right idea!

I have one main problem: every time something is deleted, six months later I need one, Fortunately much I use is small so have toolboxes stacked and labeled as to which car.

Loved to wander in swap meets and part of the reason I got into Pontiacs was because there were very few parts to be found so matched my available cash.

It isn't even "rare" cars that are the problem anymore.  Nobody sells many of the suspension and brake parts for my 1967 Delta 88 anymore.  No, nothing in the chassis/suspension/brakes/steering is common with Impala (those are easy).  I've had to chase down NOS brake and steering parts to rebuild mine. I stockpile spares when I can find them inexpensively. 

Yeah, Kanter sells brake drums and similar parts.  They are NOTHING like the originals.  They are actually late-model drums machined to work.  They are functional but not correct.

It doesn't have to be old, or rare, to be cursed with the need to carry special tools and turn your car into a rolling parts warehouse if you're going to go more than a few miles from home. I have an old and rare Chrysler TC, even minor body damage could mean the end of the car and my daily driver is a late model Saab. If the TC doesn't want to start I can get it fixed almost anywhere, get the Saab key wet while you're out fishing and you could be a several hundred mile tow job from the nearest place that can help.

I've always been a parts hoarder....

It came from my early addiction to muscle car era Mopars.... at the time I started collecting (when I was a teenager) nothing was reproduced for the cars. I found myself stashing rare parts I'd snagged not only for the current project... but for future projects. When my tastes changed and I the Mopars got sold.... all the parts when with them, and it was very nice to have a clean garage for the first time ever...

Of course, now I'm building a Speedster and the process is starting all over again :lol:

I don't think I'll feel relieved until I have a decent amount of spares for my Seagrave T-head, which will probably be never with this engine....

Well a Cord is actually not rare and pretty much every part is available for them.  Even many from the factory,  but the people who have those parts want some very serious amounts of money for them.  I about fell over when I saw prices at the booth at Hershey. 

I guess rare meaning more rare at a price I can afford to pay for the parts.  Engines aren't real rare but cores seem to be very pricey.  There is a rebuildable engine and tranny on ebay for a non supercharged car for 10K.  I think there is a rebuilt engine and tranny for sale somewhere else for around 30,000  for the pair.  There is alot that bolts to these as well that's not included.   Thus the reason to keep the parts until I do the conversion. Much cheaper to go to the bin and pull out a bracket or special bolt then to start spending 100's if not thousands of dollars for an order of parts that will fit in a 4 inch box. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Yes, I am, however, all of the parts do come in handy when I need a part and I have an extra immediately available.   Several years ago, I had the opportunity to acquire a parts car and stripped it of everything that was interchangeable with my car a 1929 Studebaker President.   I now have a shed full of parts including a complete 337 straight eight engine.   Some parts are very hard to find for the big eight Studebaker President.   I feel confident that I am in good shape and don’t worry about replacement parts with the exception of the starter.  I recently took my spare starter to get it gone through to ensure it was ready in case I  need to put it on my car.  The rebuilder discovered the Bendix drive is frozen and they could not free it up.  Now I know my spare is unusable and I need to find a “rare” Bendix drive for a 1929 Studebaker President.   The rebuilder did not have any sources for that part.   So, with a shed full of extra parts, I still am hunting for an elusive part.    

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Well a Cord is actually not rare and pretty much every part is available for them.  Even many from the factory,  but the people who have those parts want some very serious amounts of money for them.  I about fell over when I saw prices at the booth at Hershey. 

I guess rare meaning more rare at a price I can afford to pay for the parts.  Engines aren't real rare but cores seem to be very pricey.  There is a rebuildable engine and tranny on ebay for a non supercharged car for 10K.  I think there is a rebuilt engine and tranny for sale somewhere else for around 30,000  for the pair.  There is alot that bolts to these as well that's not included.   This the reason to keep the parts until i do the conversion. Much cheaper to go the bin and pull out a bracket or special bolt then to start spending 100's if not thousands of dollars for an order of parts that will fit in a 4 inch box. 

When you ask a vender for a price for a 30-31 Cadillac part it always seems to fit a 16 Cyl. and very rarely do they say 8 for some reason. So my way of thinking if 16 parts are so plentiful then 8 should be more expensive and much rarer.  

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

"The rebuilder discovered the Bendix drive is frozen and they could not free it up." I'd just let it soak for a week or two submerged in an ATF/kerosene mix, dry, then apply heat and see what happens. Only time I have not been able to free up a frozen part with time and patience is when it broke in the process.

All,

I collect and restore Kissel Kars from the "nickel-era". Kissel made their own big L-head engines then and mandrel-stamped their aluminum bodies so these were almost custom built beauties. There are about 130 relatively complete cars from 1906 -1930 that survive, plus maybe 80 basket case chassis, engines, and rusted hulk bodies out there.

After spending a near-fortune trying to machine missing parts, I now use a two phased solution to the quandary of spare parts for rare cars. First I found an old-style tractor/stock car mechanic who fiddles on trucks, hot rods, and farm engines. He makes stuff work. He found Ford tractor connecting rods that fit my rare Kissel model 6-45 engine which now purrs. He does all my engine work. (St. Clair Engine, Richmond, Michigan)

Then I set about buying known Kissel parts and chassis. I'm sure that I have the largest stash of Kissel parts that exist. My kids will have a hard time when I'm gone disposing of this stuff, but for now I can usually make parts from the Kissel engines 6-38, 6-45, and 6-55 and bodies to work. When you have Kissels, you are the expert and not any judge.

BTW, if anyone out there has Kissel parts, please contact me !!

Thanks, RON

1918 Kissel Sedanette Fenders and Parts.jpg

IMG_2764[1789].JPG

IMG_2499 [834140].JPG

5 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

I hate it when someone needs a part that I have a spare of, but would rather retain.  I like helping out fellow hobbyists, but some spare parts I want to keep.

I totally get that.

15 hours ago, padgett said:

"The rebuilder discovered the Bendix drive is frozen and they could not free it up." I'd just let it soak for a week or two submerged in an ATF/kerosene mix, dry, then apply heat and see what happens. Only time I have not been able to free up a frozen part with time and patience is when it broke in the process.

Padgett,

Thank you for the advice.  I will give that a try as soon as I am back on my feet.   Laid up at the moment.  

While as far from rare as one can get, I wish I kept all the Model A parts I accumulated when I had my '30 tudor.  Sold them all to a friend in one big lot thinking I was moving on from Model "A"s.  Bought a roadster to mess around with last year, and of course he will do just fine selling me back my own stuff here and there!!  :rolleyes:

Also makes me think of my High school pal, who still has his '68 Mustang GT 35 years on - he worked at a Ford dealer in the early 80s, used his employee discount to by two sets of fenders, quarters, hood, & trunk lid using the logic he never wanted to sell the car and wanted the spares in case he needed them.  Still has the car, and to my knowledge he still has the parts but he has not needed them yet...  

On 11/29/2016 at 3:07 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

... Still has the car, and to my knowledge he still has the parts but he has not needed them yet...  

I think that happens in most instances

when people stockpile items:

Few, if any, are ever needed.

But doing so at least preserves a collection

of car parts for future generations.

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I think that happens in most instances

when people stockpile items:

Few, if any, are ever needed.

But doing so at least preserves a collection

of car parts for future generations.

Oh yea, we take all kinds of spare parts to the races just so we wont need them.

But we always need something that we didn't bring.

Every once in a while I pick up a Murphy's Law part and set it on a shelf, not that often, though. I guess I learned early that the whole parts car concept thing was connected to pre-computer days.

Today I see those hoards of parts and ask "How much for everything in the garage? It will be gone by Saturday afternoon." I am smiling now, remembering the widow who thought my offer was her cost for me to clean out the garage. Was she happy!

Oh, somewhere around 1980 I stopped including the manuals and spare parts with cars I had for sale. I realized it only tended to confuse the buyer. So when I do have extra parts I don't say anything and sell them separately. That may not sound like the right thing to do, but, like so many other things in life, my answer is "It is not you, it is those whom came before you that made me do this."

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I have always thought the spares were part of the negotiations: "Can't  come down that far but will throw in..."

Also the Murphy of racing was "if you have a spare it won't break."

Finally inevitably anything I sell (or more often give away) I'll need in six months.

OTOH my life has been one of "Whatever I give away will come back threefold". Whether I want it or not.

Speaking of which now that nice weather is here I really need to clean out/reorganize everything again & need to be ruthless about getting rid of stuff. Do I really need three Petty-fones (and a Kyle)?

It is an easy trap to fall into - likely more so if you are a professional and somehow around the stuff even more than the rest of us.  When I bent a wheel on the first "A" a couple of friends advised spares make a lot of sense.  So I bought a couple, then every time I found a straight one I would pick it up.  Then, I found there are two distinct types of '30-31 wheels so I started to pay attention to that and found a couple more.  Then I flirted with a conversion to V-8 wheels, bought a set of 16s and one or two spares.  Next thing I had a couple stacks of them.  Sold off with my lot mentioned above (agree sometimes you make out a little better if you don't toss everything in with the car at sale time.) 

BTW, I am looking for a couple of straight spare '30-'31 wheels guys...