Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

• 3 weeks later...

Drove the 57 from the shop, where I installed an electric fuel pump, about 100 feet to the garage. About 2" of snow yesterday, mostly gone now. Only one plow-able snow so far this year along with a few nuisance ones...................Bob

Considering the axial tilt of the earth always varies and that the projected magnetic north pole has shifted from Greenland to Siberia, North America is now further from the north pole than it has been. Plus it's also La Niña, so the jet stream has also shifted. I'm personally not complaining about lack of snow fall here. :P

• Like 6

Well I have not driven an old Buick, unless my now 15 year old Rendezvous counts. Though this afternoon I did see a 1930 Model A Ford at the grocery store. Very nice condition too. Still too much salt flying around for me to bring one out. Though at the moment I have a few things off of the '41, so I can't drive it right now. The temps here in Toronto have been up and down, snow and then it warms up and melts, then it gets cold again. That's winter for you!

Keith

• Like 1

Mid twenties Fahrenheit today - but sunny, clear & dry.  Took Goldie out for a short jaunt.  Good news is this picture is a '2-fer', as I can post over in Winter Buicks as well since I was able to pose her near the only remaining small pile of snow left!  ;)

IMG_0679.JPG

• Like 4

Love the pictures of the cold and snow, I left for work the other morning at 5.00am and it was 95 F!!! I kid you not. The tilt in the axis must have sent us north and closer to the equator. The '36 and I are heading off for a drive to the 35th All American Show and Shine day in Sydney tomorrow hosted by the Mustang Club. Next weekend its another Buick day out to the Maitland Airshow 110 miles north of Sydney to see a few warbirds including a P40, P51, Corsair, Avenger etc. Weekend after that is a 110 mile trip to the Blue Mountains west of Sydney for the Roaring '20s festival.......you've got to love summer!

Cheers

Paul

AACA Member

BC of America No.49149

BC of Australia 1150

allam 220117

Edited by Paul White (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Paul White said:

Check out this '37 Buick Aussie Sloper

One of my fraternity brothers in college had a '72 Electra 4DHT the same color as the one parked opposite the '37.  Had a minor deja vu moment!  :huh:

On January-21-17 at 11:21 PM, Paul White said:

Had a great drive out today, perfect weather took the back roads all the way there. Took a lot longer but a much nicer drive than the freeway. Parked with a bunch of Rivieras and a '36 series 80 . Check out this '37 Buick Aussie Sloper

DSC03426.JPG

DSC03413.JPG

DSC03421.JPG

Owner must have a sense of humour or just didn't put the road kill all the way into the trunk.

• Like 1

yes, as i understand it the chassis, engine and the body work forward of the the cowl was built by Buick, the remainder of the body work was build by a local company "Holden". They also did similar work for a range of other US imports to Australia such as Oldsmobile etc. Holden only commenced making its own locally designed and manufactured vehicles in the late '40s. Holden became a subsidiary of GM in 1931. Sadly, due to a down turn in sales of its locally produced vehicles it is ceasing local manufacturing here in the middle of 2017. You may recall the early 1990 Pontiac GTO? It was a Holden designed and manufactured model exported to the US. In \its ultimate form hear it had a 427ci engine and was called the Monaro after the famous 600mile road race held here, Ford have ended their design and manufacturing here at the end of 2016. Out local motoring industry is dead

Last weekend my wife was busy writing a job application.  When I mentioned that it was a warm, sunny day and that I might take the Buick out she asked me not to be too long as she wanted me to proof read her application. Anyway four hours later I returned and she didn't notice that I had gone!! Anyway, I have uploaded a video to give you a taste of driving a Buick in the Australian countryside, enjoy!!  

MAH03398.MP4

• Like 7

Hi Mark, I just received my January Bugle in the mail and saw a story about our 2016 Nationals. The same Sloper is pictured at the front of the row of '30s Buicks. Anyway, I am heading off to an Art Deco festival in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney tomorrow for a few days which means lots of time behind the wheel. I will post photos on my return.  

• Like 1

The weekend went well as did the Buick on the 120 mile outward bound trip. Arriving at the 1910's Carrington Hotel I rounded the car park, heading toward the entrance to find a '41 Buick already parked outside! The night of was a lot of fun with a '20s band followed by drinks and a gramophone on the veranda late into the night. I took the trip home a little more cautiously as the weather was hot (110F) and humid. The Buick soldiered passed lots of overheated modern cars but I stopped a few times along the way to give her a chance to cool off a bit and grab a drink or three. Till the next weekend and the next Buick trip! 

DSC03578.JPG

DSC03584.JPG

Edited by Paul White (see edit history)
  • Like 12

Well, here is a picture of me NOT driving my Buick today. Paul, I think that you said something about liking pictures with snow and ice? Well we have both here in Toronto. We are going through an ice storm right now, as I write this, and the power has flickered a few times, but so far, the juice is still on.

Keith

RendzIce.jpg

• Like 2

BCA meeting on Saturday at a Mexican food restaurant - temperature was in mid 80's.  Had a new prospect member there in the '54 Skylark that his father restored 30 odd years ago.  Meeting was about 25 miles away, so the Buick got some exercise as did the A/C on the way home. 

• Like 2

I put 130 miles on my 1937 Century on our local AACA Chapter "BBQ Tour". Enjoyed a great BBQ lunch and stopped at a Mennonite store and bought some really good baked goods that I really did not need. 

DSC_0586.JPG

DSC_0589.JPG

• Like 2

On February 13, 2017 at 5:52 PM, jvelde said:

BCA meeting on Saturday at a Mexican food restaurant - temperature was in mid 80's.  Had a new prospect member there in the '54 Skylark that his father restored 30 odd years ago.  Meeting was about 25 miles away, so the Buick got some exercise as did the A/C on the way home. 

1 hour ago, Caballero2 said:

Seventy degree day Friday, Feb. 17, 2017 in Northern Colorado.  Warmed up the old Roadmaster with the top down and had lunch at A & W.  We just might survive until Spring.

Dan

Pictures or it dint happen......

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

I put 130 miles on my 1937 Century on our local AACA Chapter "BBQ Tour". Enjoyed a great BBQ lunch and stopped at a Mennonite store and bought some really good baked goods that I really did not need. 

DSC_0586.JPG

DSC_0589.JPG

I don see no Buick...

• Like 1