JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

To MCHinson, thanks for sharing your story with us, it was quite interesting, sad too, that what might of been a decent car was left to decay. But it gave you the inspiration to buy one some time, so its' time there was not really in vain after all.

One of the first '56 Buick's I tried to buy was in a similar situation, and in way, it is just as well that didn't get to buy that car too, as I did not have the skill, time, or money, to repair it properly.

I just loved the cars, that's all.

Anyway to get back on track, my wife and I took our '56 Roadmaster out for an after dinner drive to a corner of our huge city where a the country meets the city for about a 20-25 mile drive. Still quite warm here in Toronto, but the heat of the day was gone by then and it was lovely to cruise around with all the windows down!

Keith

• Like 1

Love driving the truck.

Started out the day by driving to church and back home.

Then went out to Costco for a few things, then to the grocery store, then to Sam's club for some gas, then Home Depot for some hardware, and finally home.

Put on about 35 miles.

Getting ready for a parade tomorrow with friends.

• Like 1

I drove my 1955 Buick 30 miles in the morning and then rotated my tires and lubed my front wheel bearings when I got home.post-80448-0-06531700-1441591926_thumb.j

• Like 1

We are on the road to the 1936-38 club's Tour around Nashville TN. Since we had the embarrassing roll back ride home on our attempt to drive our 37 to the Buick nationals in Springfield we feel she was now ready to go. After installing my re-cored radiator and redoing the manifold gaskets the 37 is running cool and quiet. We put on 385 miles today driving from Chambersburg PA to Bristol VA/TN. Temperature gage pretty much stayed around 160-180 all day. Even at over 90 degrees. We have a little under 300 miles to do tomorrow to get to Muffreesboro TN where we will meet the rest of the group.post-121302-0-89850100-1441592849_thumb.post-121302-0-79191800-1441592942_thumb.

• Like 1

I don't remember hearing that story before Matt.  Interesting twists.  I always figure if you can't make the deal you want then it just is not meant to be.  And there is a good reason.  Of course, that means someone had it in for me when I got my first 78 Electra, and my 95 Riviera too.  Both of those cars really tested my patience! 

Also to get back to the thread, had the 56 out today for 38 miles of pure enjoyment!  Many thumbs up and "nice car" comments,  even two from some 40'ish ladies...  I just love those unsolicited but appreciative comments when driving by?

I drove the 37 Century to our local Cars and Coffee this morning. After that, we took it to lunch at a local diner. Lots of folks wanted to admire it and talk about cars at lunch. One of our local AACA Chapter members took this photo at Cars and Coffee.

Matt,

Your '37 Buick looks great !  

It would have been a hit on the Glidden Tour last week. Maybe we'll see it on Founders next week in Ohio?

Marty,

Sorry you won't see me there, but now that the temperatures are starting to be a little bit more moderate here, the 37 is likely to be out on a nearly daily basis for the next month or so.

I drove the pace car out to the country estate this morning and drove the '41 back to get it ready for the film premiere in 18 days. It needs a cleaning more than anything else.

• Like 1

WE all went to an exclusive car show today. The grumpy old guy that ran it said the big chicken on the Packard hood growled at him; so he excluded it.

post-89785-0-91645600-1441668486_thumb.j Bernie

• Like 2

I drove my '67 Riviera from Ft. Worth to Georgetown, TX Sunday to attend a funeral of a family friend.  Its about a 3 hour drive each way.  I first thought I'd take my Lucerne for economy, but when I found gas available for $1.88/gallon decided it was a good day for the big block to get exercise.   I-35 was in better condition than the last time and traffic wasn't too bad for a holiday weekend.  Of course it was a comfortable ride, after all it's a Buick! 

Chuck Bloomberg.

• Like 2

Took the truck to the Romeo Peach Festival parade today. 

Was it HOT-HOT-HOT.  Over 90degF.

:)  The best news is that we drove the whole parade and the truck DID NOT OVERHEAT! :)

Had a good time with some high school friends who rode in the back of the truck for the parade.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I drove the '41 out of the garage to wash it and then back in...doesn't really count but it looks nicer now.

I took the '56 Roadmaster to a local cruise night that I often attend on Tues evenings. It sometimes get boring, but every once in a while something neat shows up. A guy had a 1980 Rolls Royce Corniche convert there for the first time. Nice car, near flawless paint, but the interior show showed wear, and it is a fairly high mileage car. I think that is nice, as some one bought and then loved to drive this very expensive car. Which is what the current owner likes to do also.

Then he went back to his garage and brought another of his cars, one car I have never seen before, a Borgworg Isabella coupe, 1957 I believe he said. I have seen the odd sedan, but never a coupe. The light was bad so pictures were tough, but I'll post one of the Borgworg. Very neat looking little car, made in Germany.

Keith

post-119367-0-20137300-1441812738_thumb.

• Like 1

I stumbled on A Borgward Isabela for the first time on the streets of Santa Barbara years ago in college.  I have only seem two or three since.  Eye-catching little car.  It reminds me of a Karmen Ghia, but for grown-ups.

O.K. this wasn't last weekend but...on 8/23 me and the family participated in a re-enactment of the first Port Jefferson Hill Climb of 1910, followed by a car show of the 60 cars that participated.  Good times!

post-102762-0-43195000-1441985254_thumb.

post-102762-0-23250100-1441985265_thumb.

• Like 1

34-mile shakedown cruise with this '69 Electra that I've been working on since February of this year. First time out on the highway since engine rebuild/replacement, new paint, new chrome, new vinyl top, new headliner, new brakes, etc. The tires have flat spots from sitting so long in one place; belongs to a BCA member in Oklahoma City, and I will be returning it to him next week, but until then, it is mine to enjoy!

Car was bought new in Oklahoma City, and has been in the same family since new.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

post-77451-0-73028000-1442020814_thumb.j

post-77451-0-72962400-1442020831_thumb.j

post-77451-0-12252700-1442020850_thumb.j

• Like 3

Did it get new rear springs?  Seems kinda high in the back.  But I love that color combo.  That was what mine would have been, except mine had the off white limited interior. 

Spent the day at the Greenfield Village Old Car Festival.  Gave rides all day to family and friends through the village on the '15 truck. 

Had a great time and getting ready to do it all over again tomorrow.

Here is a picture of Joyce and I with our grandson Clay.

post-87831-0-23755700-1442107000_thumb.j

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What?!? no seat belt or car seat!!!  :o  :lol:

Also, noticing the sweatshirts...I guess it's September...

Still a great picture though!

post-121302-0-81200400-1442170067_thumb. post-121302-0-88592100-1442170090_thumb. post-121302-0-11916200-1442170129_thumb. We got home at a quarter to 7 last evening. We stayed over night at the same motel in Bristol VA. We left there at 8:20 AM. So over 10 hours with stops. Probably 7 1/2 hours total actual on the road driving time.Total mileage since last Sunday morning when we left Chambersburg is 1,585 miles. I kept the speed between 55 and 60 mph on  routes 81 and 40 thru VA and TN. We would get on to routes 11 and 70 to cut the boredom of the interstates.  Except for the first 2 days when the temps were in the upper 90s, the water temp stayed at 160 degrees. Other than a few hard pull, uphill vapor locking episodes (when we had to use some ethanol gas) she ran great! 100% gas was very available once we were in VA and TN.
 We were the only ones on tour who had no problems! John Young from Louisiana trailered up a beautiful green 1938-41. Low mileage, pristine interior, flawless paint etc. On the first day of the tour his brakes locked up which caused the engine to overheat ( plugged return hole). This caused the same problem we encountered trying to go to Springfield. Sludge from the overheated engine plugged up the radiator. The first photo is of the on the road repair seminar with 38-41 stuck in the middle of the street. The tour leader Ralph Artall is trying to remove the master cylinder cap to clean out the return hole.  Ralph had the starter vacuum switch go out on his 1938-46 Coupe. Then one of the modern cars on tour with us a 2002 Park Avenue had a plastic fuel line split. The local Buick dealer quoted him $1,800 to repair and a five day wait for parts.  A local shop got him going again for less than $100 and now they are back home in Indiana.
This is the third "tour" we have been on. The second with the 37. We did have a great time. On the last night we had a banquet and all dressed in period 1930s costume. Right up my alley. But now Joan wants vintage jewelry.

Nice, Larry! Love that car, Pete!

Keith

Thanks but it is a truck. 

Spend all day Sunday on the second day of the Old Car Festival.  Had a great time and probably put on another 25 miles driving friends and family around Greenfield Village.

The weather was a perfect early fall day with the temperatures in the mid to high 60's and the crowds were good.

This show is the capstone event of the driving season in Michigan for the pre 1932 vehicles.

• Like 1

Despite half of the family being under the weather (me being one), we made the best of a beautiful day and took a long, meandering trip for ice cream. 
It was absolutely worth it. 

post-109043-0-85830900-1442196944_thumb.

Got out to the cruise tonight...came across a nice 1936 McLaughlin-Buick convertible...needless to say I was excited.

I have photos...can't remember how to deal with photos with the new forum software...sigh.  Old dogs, new tricks.

I joined Larry at Greenfield Village on Saturday, driving my Buick 68 miles each way.  Great event.  Lots of rides given also at GFV.

Then on Sunday, picked up friends and went on a 60 mile round trip cider mill and donut run.  Beautiful day.  Well over 200 miles for the weekend.

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 2