Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

I have a photo or two on my phone but the gentleman who owns the 1940 Brewster bodied car that is here (and was in Danvers) was volunteering with the Bulgarian collection. We had a good chat with the family. Later I see Suzanne and Joseph getting into the car and getting chauffeured away. 

Of course, we are driving two cars daily now. In spite of the rain this evening we had a good time at Dorney Park hanging out with Ed Logan and Aaron Clark. Ice cream and a carousel were involved. It was neat coming out to the parking area assigned to the BCA and seeing the Reatta, the pace car, and Ed's hearse being the last cars in the lot. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had the 56 out today, to drive my neighbors to their wedding.  Just 41 miles with uncountable smiles.  Picked up the groom and Groom's men in the next town, and then returned to my block to pick up the bride and bridesmaid.  Brought them to the hall where the ceremony was and stayed till they had a chance to get some pictures.  While waiting many of the guests went out of the hall to check the car out, and I saw quite a few of them taking their pictures with the 56.  The part I liked the best was when the grooms Father, who was driving a late model Corvette, said, Man, that thing sounds great!!  It just purrs!!!

Made it a Buickful day in the neighborhood!  

july4th Super at sunset0001.JPG

july4th Super at sunset0002.JPG

july4th Super at sunset0003.JPG

july4th Super at sunset0004.JPG

july4th Super at sunset0005.JPG

july4th Super at sunset0006.JPG

july4th Super at sunset0007.JPG

july4th Super at sunset0008.JPG

• Like 6

So I took the '69 Electra out to storage today, and brought the '41 Roadmaster home for a few weeks. No pictures of the '41, but a couple of the Electra. One of the front seat, now upholstered correctly. I am now fairly certain that it is the front seal that is leaking, but she is resting with my friend's Fords for a little while, then I'll bring it back home and do the repairs. I am getting the '56 Roadmaster ready for a long tour for next week, and plan to use the '41 as my fun, and cruise night car this week. Nothing major on it, just some maintenance, minor repairs and detailing.

Keith

ElectraNewIntSml.jpg

ElectraStoreSml.jpg

• Like 3

I took the '41 Roadmaster to a local cruise night tonight, and here's a picture of it, and a nice Allante that I hadn't seen before. Also, and I may have posted this car before, my friend's 1919 Ford Model T. He bought this car over the internet a few years ago as a basket case. The old refrain, someone started on the car, and didn't finish it. So he got it all together, running well, and he drives it regularly around the streets in our part of the city.

Keith

41AugCruise1.jpg

Allante1.jpg

Allante2.jpg

Cruise1.jpg

Cruise2.jpg

• Like 4

Been busy with work around the house with the summer weather, but have been able to get the Electra out several times.  Here's a pic of Electra with it's new tires and hubcaps (still have the ralleys in the garage) against my freshly painted house.  I guess I really like blue!

tn_IMG_2063.JPG

• Like 4

I got up early Saturday morning and made the 100 mile drive up to New Bern NC for the 2016 SE Fall Meet. The drive up was wonderful. The car performed flawlessly. The Meet was good, but it was 92 degrees by the afternoon. After the meet ended at 3 pm, I drove home with the car performing flawlessly again but the heat made the trip less fun than the early morning trip. Here are a few photos. There was a wide variety of cars there but not too many Buicks. I have more photos from the Meet posted in the AACA Meets and Tours Forum.  On the way home I stopped by the USSNC Battleship Memorial for a few photos.

DSC_0867.JPG

DSC_0868.JPG

DSC_0869.JPG

DSC_0870.JPG

DSC_0915.JPG

DSC_0916.JPG

DSC_0922.JPG

DSC_0925.JPG

• Like 5

After completing a cylinder head rebuild and piston ring change was I able to drive my Buick this weekend.  3 long months and a car show season just about behind us.  A missed once in a lifetime opportunity to bring my Buick to the 50th BCA show in Allentown I'm please to say she is running well once again. 

WP_20160813_004_zpscfjep7yp.jpg  

• Like 4

Well, I haven't driven any of my Buicks, for a couple of days, as too much family stuff going on, plus I have been doing some maint work on the '56 Roadmaster as we are leaving tomorrow (Tues) morn for a long McLaughlin Buick Club tour the rest of the week. Likely we will be driving 1,000 -1,500 miles this week.

I will post some updates we go.

Keith

• Like 3

We drove for about 6 hours from Toronto, Ont, to Pembroke, Ont., through constant, pouring rain, but we made it to the hotel safe and sound. Rained almost like we had at times in Allentown at the National, only this lasted all day. It seemed like it couldn't get any worse, then it did. The car ran absolutely perfect through it all, didn't miss a beat even once. Though it doesn't mean that we didn't have our adventures, to put it mildly. The defroster on the drivers side wouldn't clear the fog, so at a gas station I got under the dash to make sure that everything was connected, and it was. The rain kept on coming, and my wife was clearing the windshield by hand for me, but I got a crazy sounding idea. So we stopped again and using a couple of old Tim Horton's paper coffee cups and duct tape, I made up a duct that went from the air outlet on the side of the dash to the top of the dash panel, aiming towards the windshield. Kind of weird looking, but it worked and my side of the windshield stayed clear from fogging up the rest of the trip. We took on only a bit of water inside the car, quite remarkable considering the conditions. This is very nice countryside, and normally a scenic drive, as most of the roads are secondary highways, primarily 2 lane, and in decent repair, except where under construction. Some of the gravel sections were being washed out due to the high rainfall, so were pretty rough at times.

Then I parked at the hotel, and when I shut my door, the side glass broke! Not what I wanted to see after the hard drive!

No pictures today, just too wet to take pictures.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Nice weather today, till about sunset, then a rainstorm, but rather short. We drove into Quebec this morning, which is quite close to here, and saw some waterfalls, had some great food, and traveled through farm country on nice rural roads. Helps to make up for the terrible weather of yesterday. We drove about 120 miles all together today.

The rainbow after this evening's rain was spectacular, a full arc that lasted for 10 mins, or more. I got a few quick shots of it, but I could not get the total arc in the picture, even with my slr, but I've posted one that looks almost like the rainbow is ending in my car. Plus a shot of my car with a very pretty '49 Super convert, and the oldest cars on the tour, a pair of '37's, and a '38. One of the '37's drove from Indiana for the tour.

Keith

Buick56RainbowSml.jpg

Buick56 49Sml.jpg

Buick37 38Sml.jpg

• Like 4

Buicknutty,

Is that Bob Ward's 1937 Buick on the right? If it is, please tell him I said hello and he should feel free to write up a nice story with some photos about the tour and send them to me for publishing in the Torque Tube II. :)

Caught a break on the sloppy weather today, and got to the Wednesday evening /cruise in

DSC03505.JPG

It was an opportunity to try and work with my camera. I have been unhappy with the quality of the pictures lately.  So here are two other pictures of some nice vehicles.

DSC03507.JPG

DSC03514.JPG

We had another great day of touring, a bit less than 100 miles, the weather was about as perfect as you could get. We visited a gentleman who had a very large collection of tractors, perhaps 150 or more. His favourite seemed to Allis Chalmers, as he had more of them than any other make, from very small ones, to huge 8 wheeled monsters with 731 cu in turbo diesels.

I'm posting a few that I found interesting. One, called a Graham-Bradley must of been a rather upscale tractor for its time, late 30's, very pretty and it used a Graham Paige engine. if memory serves, they weren't using that name at the time, so perhaps they bought up engines that had been made some years earlier. This was a very nice looking machine with its' side panels and car like grille. Somewhat like a '38 Buick, I thought.

Also, there was an air cooled, diesel tractor made by Porsche. According to the info provided less than 200 were imported into North America.

A small tractor that brought back memories to me, a small Gibson, more like a garden tractor, but unlike the newer ones, this was like a small version of a big one. I used one similar to this one, though I think that the one I used was a bit smaller, but it has been more than 40 years since I've seen that it! Not owned by us, but by friends who used to loan it out to us to work our garden. It came with a full complement of farm implements, plow, rake, culitvators, etc. It had an air cooled, rope start Wisconsin engine with about 6 or 7 HP and a 3 speed transmission. A Waterloo Bronco, now I had a Ford Bronco at one time, but this wasn't a Ford!

Plus a tractor that was built on a 30 degree angle to mow ditches.

Later on we stopped at a blueberry farm, and had a plate of blueberry pie, garnished with blueberry ice cream, and fresh blueberries that were so good, words cannot describe how good it was!

Keith

GrahamBrad1Sml.jpg

GrahamBrad2Sml.jpg

GibsonTracSml.jpg

TractBronc1Sml.jpg

TractBronc2Sml.jpg

SideTracSml.jpg

TractPors1.jpg

TractPors2Sml.jpg

TractPors3.jpg

• Like 1

Twas the last Hemming's Cruise in of the season tonight.  Hard to believe, but the summer's almost gone!  Hope everyone has had their fill of driving their cars this year.  Hope the southernmost fellows have a good driving season coming up.  Anyhow tonight's turnout was one of the better ones of the season.  Some new Buicks I have not seen prior.  Here's a few photos.

The drive over was sunny and warm.  Comfortable with the top down, but the clouds to the north looked troublesome.

DSC03549.JPG

Still, it was an hour or so of cruising the open stretches of backroads to and through Vermont.

DSC03542.JPG

x

DSC03551.JPG

x

DSC03556.JPG

x

And dodged all the rain on the way over

x

Did a much shorter tour today, about 70 miles of driving, and it felt like we walked almost as much. Read on, my friends!

First we visited a clock museum, the only one in Canada, and it was very interesting. Lots of neat clocks from the 19th through the 20th century. Many stylish ones from the 60's that I recall family members having. Then lunch at the Canadian Forces Base in Petawawa. We ate in the enlisted mess, and a very nice cafeteria, it must of been quite a different from what my Dad enjoyed during his time in the army 75 years ago!

Lastly a walking tour of Pembroke with a guide telling us about the various murders and such that took place in early part of the 20th century. This was of course the warmest day of the week, mid 80's or so, and some folks were feeling the heat quite a bit, after nearly a couple of hours walking up and down the hills through town. We ended up back were we had parked our cars, but it seemed like we walked more uphill than down!

Keith

• Like 1

We had a good drive home, though the heat was building as the day wore on, but we made it home before dinner! About 900 miles or so all told for the five days, and the '56 Roadmaster ran perfect through it all. Oil consumption was quite reasonable, less than 1/4 of a quart, which included quite a bit of highway driving. This is less than I've have had it use in the past, but this spring I finally got to install the vent pipe that I bought from Lamar a couple of years ago.

Being a California car, in the 70's it had a retrofit of a primitive PCV system, but I have since returned it to the factory correct setup, so the crankcase is venting properly again.

I'm thinking that this is the reason oil usage is much less than before.

Keith

• Like 2

Headed out to the annual Yankee Chapter show today:

2016 yankee Chpt 01 .JPG

Partly Cloudy with small chance of rain, till later this evening. Then definite rain showers!

2016 yankee Chpt 02.JPG

But makes no difference.  The Queen is ready to travel.  When the sun did come out, it was another HOT one!

2016 yankee Chpt 03.JPG

But I love driving the big girl with the 4 40 A/C on days like this.  

2016 yankee Chpt 04.JPG

Yes, Linda stayed home, so all the windows were down.

2016 yankee Chpt 05.JPG

• Like 1

Of course it is always great to see our friends from the other Chapters but the show attendance seemed lighter than other years.  But there were more stunning Buicks that I had never seen before. 

2016 yankee Chpt 06.JPG

2016 yankee Chpt 10.JPG2016 yankee Chpt 12.JPG2016 yankee Chpt 09.JPG2016 yankee Chpt 07.JPG2016 yankee Chpt 08.JPG

2016 yankee Chpt 11.JPG

• Like 3

After the show we took Rt 68 over the mountain instead of the over crowded highways we used to get to the show.

2016 yankee Chpt 34.JPG

And I thought this must not be a college town!  If It was those signs would be brand new each week.

2016 yankee Chpt 35.JPG

Afterwards we took Rt 8 north just like last year.  What a great highway!!!  This year instead of veering off on a westward path in northern CT, we took Rt 8 through the Berkshires in Massachusetts all the way to the end.   WOW!!!  Seriously, this is a road that begs to be traveled!

2016 yankee Chpt 36.JPG2016 yankee Chpt 37.JPG

x

• Like 3

The last picture I got was this sweet lake on Rt 20 in Mass. 

2016 yankee Chpt 41.JPG

After that we ran into that rain that was predicted.  Worse , we decided to take the path home that went past Lebanon Valley Speedway.  Apparently they were hit with some heavy rains before we got there and to add to the traffic woes, people leaving the parking field dragged out a few dozen yards of mud, which we could not avoid. Then the state is replacing two bridges requiring alternating traffic in the one remaining lanes, so we spent a good 20 minutes or so in a backup for that. 

Still, a great ride in a great car, for a wonderful day.  Thanks Yankee Chapter folks for a nice event!   

• Like 2

I took the Wildcat out to a show & shine this afternoon. I was too late to get it in the show but enjoyed walking around seeing some different cars than I normally do and taking advantage of store special on Meguiars products. 

Once i I got tired of that I went further afield to look at a '96 Riviera for sale. It was fun but the car may need more than I want to put into it especially since I haven't seen bills for the '29 yet. 

I took the Riviera out on Friday and had a fun time. It almost cost me major money as I got stopped for going 97 in a 85 zone.

He was nice and after checking for a seat belt and some stern warnings on what would happen if he caught me again, he let me go.

Glad he did the fine would have been $ 307.00.

• Like 3

Hey John, I have to ask about the black shoes that 'The Queen' is sporting.  I noticed them in earlier photos, so were they on the car when you acquired it or did you install them.  It's interesting to me given all of the recent discussion on other threads regarding 'proper' whitewall widths and blackwall vs. whitewall, etc.  I do think the blackwalls work on the 2-door, maybe not so much if it were a 4-door, or with wheelcovers rather than road wheels...

• Like 1