Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Last weekend our nephew's wedding took place on Nantucket Island, off the coast of Cape Cod. Nantucket is a story in itself, and since this trip required a 2 night overnight in the parking lot, we took the Regal GS.  As a 2013, I'm not sure it's an old Buick consistent with this thread, but at this point it is an old Buick what with the 2017's arriving at the dealerships, so I'm just throwing this out there in case anyone is interested.

When we got back to Cape Cod from the wedding, we decided to run a loop around the Cape.  We drove to Chatham MA via Rt 28, which was too busy for any picture taking.  But there are numerous small towns and lots of quaint homes.  We also saw some obviously older homes which have survived the elements of time and salty weather and reeked of early American history.

At Chatham we went to the Coast Guard light house.   There is a public beach at this point and I was hoping we could get close to the water.

DSC03936.JPG

But close or not, it was a beautiful spot.  Not much free parking, but there may have been more of that around that I missed.

DSC03935.JPG

We decided not to walk down as Linda wasn't feeling well. There was an information board at this point which indicated the Pilgrims actually arrived in America at this spot. But they were anticipating landing at the Hudson River.  So they turned south, only to encounter a fierce storm and a natural rock jetty.  Thereupon, they turned north and went around the point of the Cape seeking shelter on the area now known as Princetown.  5 weeks after docking at Princetown they set sail west again and landed at Plymouth Rock.

After Chatham we drove north to Orleans, via the road closest to the water.  The houses along the water in this area are beyond imagination.  Why anyone needs palaces like that is anyone else's guess. Chances are they would pass by my house and ask themselves; why does this jackass needs 5 Buicks.  But, whatever the reason, the area is still, beautiful, and imaginative, and desirable.  But I did not get any pictures.

In Orleans we turned west and drove back via Rt 6A.  This area is also full of large newer houses and small towns, which make for a nice drive.  All this took about 4 hours and we stopped for a great dinner just before getting off the Cape.  I'd recommend this road trip if you have a day to spend in leisure.

Since we were so close, we went to see Plymouth Rock.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I have always wanted to see the landing spot of the Pilgrims. 

Upon arrival we saw this:

DSC03969.JPG

And I thought, Wow!  What a structure!  This must be a great display for a big rock.  And the Rock is big.

DSC03943.JPG

But I was immediately struck with the thought that this cannot be what the Pilgrims saw upon arrival.

And, as usual, the information board tells much more of the story than I'd ever bothered to research.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Here is the information board in several pictures.

Plymouth Rock0001.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0002.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0003.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0004.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0005.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0006.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0007.JPG

xPlymouth Rock0008.JPG

So, there you have it.  The basis of American History is the recall of a 95 year old elder, who could not have been alive during the time of the event he recalled! 

Still, you have to start somewhere.  Just ask Jackofalltrades70 about that concept!

• Like 3

Anyhow, we stayed overnight in Sturbridge MA on the return trip, and had a nice leisurely drive home the next day. I did not record the total miles driven, but it was several hundred.  The Regal ran great!  It also received several compliments, which always makes me feel like I got the right car, and which, by the way , is why this jackass has 5 Buicks.  LOL.  Also I only had to fill up once enroute, and once when we got home, which was about the only economical part of this entire little adventure!  :rolleyes:

Here are a few more random pics from Plymouth rock

DSC03946.JPG

DSC03954.JPG

• Like 1

Doesn't the Mayflower still look good for being almost 400 years old!!  Actually, the original returned to England only to be scrapped according to my 10th grade History teacher (1965). 

• Like 1

Just got home from a day tour through some more of the scenic byways East of Toronto. They would of been more scenic had it not been raining! We drove the Electra about 150 miles or so today. This brings the total mileage I've put on it to nearly 2,000. Of course it missed Allentown due to sickness, or else it would of been quite a bit more.

Keith

• Like 1

Went to the South-Central Regional fall meet in Burnet TX today and drove my 1991 Reatta.   I do not know the official numbers but we I counted 9 Buicks and one '67 Toronado.

Our meets have a light attendance as it is always a long drive to get to anything in Texas.   While attendance was small, we had some very important and well know Buick people there.

Pete Phillips was there with his 48 sedanette, Willie Pittman with his 55 Century 4 dr HT,  former Board member Jerry Courson '55 HT, South-Central Regional directors Willis Bell and Mike Middleton,

and Ben (regular poster here) came down from Wichita Falls TX.  Oldest Buick was a '33 4 dr model 50.

• Like 3

We drove the Riviera down to Ottawa, KS yesterday to attend the Ol' Marais River Run.  Well over 1,500 cars.  As Linda said  " lots of testosterone here."  Restored, modified, hot rod, muscle car, rat rod.  You name it; it was there. This video is from last year's event, but it's neat the way the residents and merchants welcome the car guys for the weekend's festivities.  

Edited by RivNut
I hate predictive text!!! (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I drove my unrestored '48 Super about 250 miles each way to the S. Central Regional Buick meet in Burnet, Texas. In Texas, a regional meet consists of nine (count 'em) Buicks--very sad numbers, but a nice meet nonetheless. It was in front of a hanger at the Burnet Airport, which houses a restored C-47 from World War Two. On the way home, Sunday morning, I stopped in deserted downtown Hico (pronounced "high-co"), Texas which is full of old, historic structures that have barely changed in 100 years. I could not resist parking the '48 in front of some of them for a few photos.

IMGP1111.JPG

IMGP1139.JPG

IMGP1153.JPG

• Like 10

Ok Pete and Ed the wheatland chapter is trying to get the chapter going again and we are doing a show on October 8 2016. You guys are invited as my guest. The guys Don and Matt are doing a great job along with our great leader Tom Sparkman. The show will be held at Scholfield Buick in Wichtia Kansas. Cant say how many cars will be in attendance but the Chapter has be rather quiet for the past 10 years go I think it will be a good start. It would be good to have you guys. Questions give me a call.

Thanks \

Chuck

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

We drove the Riviera down to Ottawa, KS yesterday to attend the Ol' Marais River Run.  Well over 1,500 cars.  As Linda said  " lots of testosterone here."  Restored, modified, hot rod, muscle car, rat rod.  You name it; it was there. This video is from last year's event, but it's neat the way the residents and merchants welcome the car guys for the weekend's festivities.  

"We drove the Riviera" is an interesting statement from a man with four Rivieras in his signature....

• Like 1

Drove to Burnet, TX to a BCA meet, via Decatur, TX and their swap meet. Found a pair of mirrors that MIGHT work.  Then by Terrell machine to meet them. 570 miles and nary a skip or miss.

Came away with a third place win!! Thanks, folks. 

Burnet trip 014.JPG

The old war plane over my hood. Burnet trip 021.JPG  Sunrise over the Buick.

Ben

• Like 8

We've been having a nice weekend with some fellow McLaughlin Buick Club members as we tour around this area of Ontario on the shores of Lake Huron. Our base is in the town of Port Elgin. The cars on tour spanned from a 1922 McLaughlin, to a late model 2010. Glenda wished that she had her 2016 Envision to add to the group photo we took in front of a nuclear power station.

The ride of choice this weekend is the '69 Electra. It of course did not give us a trouble free drive. I do not think that I have ever had so much trouble with the vintage cars as I have this year. All three have given me problems of some kind on tours.

I had two issues on the 4 hour drive yesterday. The upper rad hose somehow got pulled into the path of the fan, and it cut a gouge through it and it started leaking a bit. We were stuck in a small town, but I was almost right beside a Canadian Tire store. So I went in and asked the young man if they had one in stock, and of course I wasn't very hopeful. They didn't have one, but they did have the size specs, so he dug through the pile of flexible hoses they had and found the was almost the exact length. Close enough, rad issue fixed.

The other problem was the charging system. The weekend before the "GEN" (alternator) light came on from time to time. So the alternator was noisy and took it to a local rebuilder, and it worked after the rebuild, but then the light started coming on from time to time. I drove it to the rebuilder's shop, but no light on now, however they checked it out and it they said it was alright.

About the time I had the coolant leak, the "GEN" light came back on. I couple of miles back I went by a well known car restoration shop, the Guild of Automotive Restorers, so I went back and explained my situation. They were able take a look right away, and an old school mechanic came out and did a few tests on it. He determined that it was charging, but not properly, as one of the three stators was bad. He said that if I kept the electrical load very low, it should be alright.

So we drove another three hours with the gen light dimly lit and made it our destination safely.

I checked the battery voltage a few minutes after I shut the engine down and it was about 13.1 V. So it was charging enough to keep the battery up.

Looking forward to another day of touring before heading for home on Sunday.

No pictures, but I will up load some tomorrow.

Keith

• Like 2

We took the 38 Special for a very nice cruise yesterday.  It was a beautiful day to cruise back roads from Vancouver to Chehalis WA to see the Veterans Memorial Museum  http://www.veteransmuseum.org/index.htm .  We traveled on back roads through little logging towns and literally drove along & "over the rivers and through the woods".  We stopped for lunch at a little park in Napavine before continuing to Chehalis to visit the museum.  The museum is normally closed on Sunday, but they opened it just for the car club and gave us group admission of only $4 each  (seniors is $5 if you insist).  This museum is not about the many artifacts as much as it is for telling the stories of the veterans who served the USA from WW1 to present.  It was well worth the price of admission.

Kappler Cruise 2016-1.JPG

Kappler Cruise 2016-2.JPG

• Like 2

Took the family and the '41 Limited to a decent car show at the Medina County Airport. They were claiming 800 cars, but my guess is more like 350, mostly late-models and imports, a few unrestored cars, a few army vehicles, and a smattering of old cars in various condition. Lots of people and a nice event, with plenty of vintage airplanes at work, too. Surprisingly, no photos except this "Thing." You can see the Limited waaaaay over there on the left-most edge of the photo next to a--wow!--2002 Chevy Monte Carlo with a for sale sign in the window:

2016-09-25 12.10.25a.jpg

The interesting thing was that everyone seems to want to own a late-model or some kind of resto-mod, but nobody seems to want to look at them. Nobody cares about modified or late-model performance cars. However, there were at least one or two people around the Limited all day, so after I noticed this I did some crowd watching. Most folks just walked past most of the other cars and completely ignored them. Hellcat, ZL1 Camaro, Stingray Corvette, Audi A4 with fat tires, whatever, nobody cared. But the handful of old cars that were as the factory built them were always busy with sight-seers. Isn't that interesting?

The Big Guy ran great, as usual. Effortless @ 60 MPH, 160 degrees coolant on the highway, and the new radials make it ride and handle beautifully. Have I mentioned how much I love this car, exhaust leaks and all? Another great outing and the The Big Guy took good care of us and got us home safely.

• Like 3

We got back home yesterday, after a great weekend of car fun. The Electra behaved herself the rest of the weekend, though it is still not charging properly. All driving was in the daytime, and we didn't need A/C, but we did need a bit of heat on the last morning.

We visited a nuclear power station, and took a picture of some of the cars in front of the main office. We also visited a couple of car collections, one with just 6 or so, the other one on Sunday just before we left for home. I took a shot of a small fan that was on the dash of a '39 Chev. A vacuum operated Trico unit.

The latter was truly amazing. Eighty six cars stored in a series of new top notch buildings on this man's farm. I took a lot of pictures, but they are all on my camera, so it will take a day or so to get them off and sorted so that I can upload a few. A 1928 McLaughlin Buick which was used as a Royal tour car for the prince's Edward, and George before either one ascended to the throne. Plus a couple of Skylark GS's, one a stage 1, and many other muscle cars. GM, Chrysler, and Ford were all represented, but also quite a number of other cars that you do not expect to see along with muscle cars. A Chrysler Town and Country, an Erskind, an Abbot Detroit, two 30's Packards, one of them a V12, and even a Franklin, plus many others.

Here are a few pictures from Sat., as I said, I'll post the others later on.

Keith

40Buick1Sml.jpg

BuicksBrucePower1Sl.jpg

ChevFan1Sml.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

The interesting thing was that everyone seems to want to own a late-model or some kind of resto-mod, but nobody seems to want to look at them.

I take my '41 to a few of the local cruise nights, and I find much the same thing happening. In fact, I started taking the Electra because I couldn't get away from the people wanting to talk to me about my car, and I never got to look around at the other cars there. Young as well as older ones.

Keith

• Like 2

Didn't go too far, but had the Electra out for the annual local truck show.  It was a great show and swap meet at the county fairgrounds.  Even though it was a truck show the Buick got a fair share of WOW's!!!  Anyway, here's a few photos

B spa truck show 9 25 160001.JPG

B spa truck show 9 25 160008.JPG

B spa truck show 9 25 160011.JPG

B spa truck show 9 25 160030.JPG

B spa truck show 9 25 160031.JPG

B spa truck show 9 25 160028.JPG

B spa truck show 9 25 160032.JPG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Brian,

Did you go to Hell for ice cream again?

No ice cream this time since we just ate a greasy sack of fresh donuts at the cider mill 45 minutes earlier.

For those who have need to be concerned about Hell since they may end up there; there is ice cream, and a bar and as my Dad used to say: 'Hell aint but half full'.  72F and sunny too!

• Like 3

I'm still trying to get caught up on my pictures from the other week. We had taken the Electra to Port Elgin for a weekend of touring. Here are some pictures of the gentleman's place who owns the beautiful '40 Buick convertible sedan I posted earlier. There's a '39 Chev, a very original car also owned by the same person, and the car under restoration is a 1922 McLaughlin. The auto collectibles he had was quite amazing!

Keith

Buick39ChevSml.jpg

BuickGarage1.jpg

BuickGarage2Sml.jpg

BuickGarage3Sml.jpg

BuickGlobeSml.jpg

McLaughlin22Sml.jpg

McLaughlinToolsSml.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Here are some more pictures from our tour the other weekend to Port Elgin with the MBCC, and on Sunday just before we all left for home we visited a great collection of 86 cars, and most of them finished to a very high level. Talk about saving the best for last!

There were many muscle cars from the late 60s' and very early 70's, from GM Chrysler and Ford, though most were either GM or Chrysler. He had two 1970 Skylark convertibles, one a GS 455, the other a 455 Stage 1. The other Buick in the collection was a 1928 McLaughlin Buick Touring car built for the 1927 Royal tour. I know that seems to be odd, and contradictory. This is how the story went. When Royal Tour was annouced the Canadian Gov't asked Sam McLaughlin to supply two touring cars for the use of the Princes during their 5 week stay, but at the time there were none being produced, so they used two prototype 1928 cars, and extensively modified them into touring cars. This was for the Prince of Wales, who had bought a ranch in Alberta a few years before, and his brother Prince George who were the Royals which were visiting.

There is one at a museum in Ottawa, but this one had been out of the country for many many years till it was finally acquired last year and brought back to its' home turf. The colour in the picture is a bit funky due to reflections off of the red floor, but it similar to the later Sequoia Cream.

A few other of the unusual ones, were Eskind, an air cooled 1926 Franklin, and an Abbot Detroit.

Also, a couple of Packards, one a V12, a 1935 Auburn Supercharged convertible sedan, and Chrysler Airflow.

I took a lot of pictures, and here are a few of the more notable cars, and a couple of shots of the buildings he houses them in.

Keith

BuicksAtTonys1Sml.jpg

TonyGarage1Sml.jpg

RoyalTourCar1Sml.jpg

SklarkGSSml.jpg

Stage1FullSml.jpg

Stage1HoodSml.jpg

Vet541Sml.jpg

Packard12FullSml.jpg

Packard12Sml.jpg

Auburn851Sml.jpg

DetroitAbottSml.jpg