JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Nice group of cars John!

I especially like the '58 Roady!

I was thinking of you and Rob when I took those photos.  So blame me if your ears were ringing.

• Like 1

The last few photos explain why it is called Lower Hudson Valley. You cannot get much lower than that.  My appreciation for the work by the Chapter and John for your kind comments.

John

We just finished a 2300 mile trip in our not so old 2007 Lucerne.

It is fairly new to me.....I purchased it because it had the V8 and I wanted to experience performance again.

What did surprise me was the gas mileage,  it got 23+  consistently... one stretch  gave me 26.6 at an average speed of 68 mph (no town driving involved)

The book says premium but I would fill it up at about 1/2 tank and alternate between premium and midgrade.

Our 2011 Enclave with the 3.6 V6 has never gone above 24mpg... but it does have room.

Barney,  We bought the '08 Lucerne with the 3.8 V6 and have been happy with it, especially on highway trips.   95,000 miles so far but my gas mileage runs 2 to 4 mpg less than yours.  I usually hold 65  70  mph on the highways.  It never made the gas mileage I got on the last two LeSabres before it.

Drove the '56 Roadmaster out of the city to a small town to get the new cover they made for me altered. Even though they measured the car earlier, they made a couple of mistakes. Kind of annoying. Nice to drive the car, but the drive wasn't too much fun, as the only practical way to get there is to take a main highway across the North end of Toronto, a bit of a hell drive at the best of times. The traffic is just nuts on that highway, and is supposed to be one of the busiest in all of North America.

Anyway, no argument about the bad fit, they will fix, send it back to me at no charge, and give me a discount for my troubles.

Keith

Took the Electra to what is probably the last local car show for 2015.  Mills Mansion in Staatsburg, NY is a museum on the Hudson River waterfront just south of Rhinebeck, NY.   The Hudson valley car clubs put this on and it's been going for many years now, but today was a first.  It snowed on the show field.  But it was still a good time.

Once again my brother and nephew attended as well.  and we had some nice photo opportunities. 

• Like 1

We had a 70deg day here today in south east Michigan so we took the '15 truck out for dinner and just some driving around. 

Probably the last day for the season because the future forecast is looking cold.

No Mills Mansion for me. Too cold to drive the Chartreuse Lady there and back with only a high of 48 if we were lucky. I was in Connecticut with family over the weekend and got a very rare chance to ride a 1928 F&M Rail Road track repair car about 30 miles on the rails. Dandy Dave!  

• Like 4

Brought out the '41 this past weekend to show off as part of an city-wide architecture tour.  I was a tour guide and parked it in front of the building I was working at (a restored '20s ballroom) to add to the excitement.  Hopefully the weather holds out this weekend too.

• Like 1

Took the Electra to what is probably the last local car show for 2015.  Mills Mansion in Staatsburg, NY is a museum on the Hudson River waterfront just south of Rhinebeck, NY.   The Hudson valley car clubs put this on and it's been going for many years now, but today was a first.  It snowed on the show field.  But it was still a good time.

Once again my brother and nephew attended as well.  and we had some nice photo opportunities. 

Sorry I missed this show and LHV at Constitution Island. Two of my favorite events. This year they happened to be in conflict with the GSCA Nationals. It was a lovely week of racing and cruising. See you next time.

post-102025-0-93491000-1443377492_thumb.

• Like 1

I drove my 1954 Buick 30 miles to a car show in Mariposa, CA. It ran great!

• Like 1

I took the Electra out to pick up a friend that I've known since grade 10 in high school to take him out for a birhday dinner last night. Not too far, about 15 miles or so.

Keith

This morning, I drove my 1937 Buick to the Red Cross to donate blood, and then across town to an AACA event. We have an annual presentation where we line up cars of all different ages in chronological order for the 5th Grade class at a local private school. The students learn about the history of automobiles in their History Class. They get about a 5 minute presentation and question and answer session with each vehicle owner before moving along to the next car. This gave them about an hour long session. The students seem to enjoy this presentation, ask lots of questions, take lots of photos, and take quite a few notes (they have a test on the subject later).  Attached is one photo from this morning that shows a few of the cars and some of the students. Later, I drove the 1937 Century to lunch and then drove it to dinner this evening. I put about 30 miles total on the car today.  

post-90592-0-20448100-1445654938_thumb.j

• Like 3

Ventured 300 miles in the Wagon yesterday, bringing my spare GS bumpers to Sandys Bumper Mart in Syracuse. I am going to miss this car terribly when it's days are done, and that day seems to be getting a lot closer with each use.   

Took out the 1926-26 coupe out for a Sunday drive today and shot this drive by video.

• Like 3

Had the 82 Buick Riv. Ragtop out yesterday just for a spin around the neighborhood. Had to replace a left rear brake hose that failed early in the season. Special order item only. The old one collapsed internally and kept the caliper locked up. Dandy Dave!  

• Like 1

We took the Electra out to a coffee shop we like yesterday afternoon, 15 miles or so. Cool but sunny.

Keith

• Like 1

Are you Buick lovers driving on antique plates?  Do they permit this kind of use?  Michigan is kinda restrictive so I kinda wondered if all the states were more liberal than good old Michigan.

No restrictions whatsoever with Arizona's Historic Vehicle plate.

$25 initial application fee/ $10 annual renewal. Vehicle must indicate a model date of original manufacture that is at least 25 years old. May require a vehicle inspection.

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)

"Texas Antique Vehicle Provisions:

Antique license plates are issued for cars, trucks or motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector’s item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or carry advertising. The vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance."

Those are the rules, but the reality is you might get busted if driving to work daily.  I have been stopped, but only because the officer wanted to look at the car and talk about it.  If I ever do run into a hard nose, my ready answer is "I'm road testing my new brakes"

• Like 2

I like your game plan Willie.  It's much easier than explaining how regular use is a maintenance requirement for the seals in the engine and tranny.  Meanwhile, I stole  Brian Heils Photo idea when I had the 56 out for another 20 miles or so on this 2nd bonus day of 2015

gallery_77230_175_334914.jpg

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Massachusetts provision:

An “antique motor car” is any motor vehicle over twenty-five years old maintained solely for use in exhibitions, club

activities, parades, and other functions of public interest. This includes test drives to prepare for such functions and

transportation to and from repair facilities, and not used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods over any

way. A motorcycle is eligible for an Antique registration plate.