Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Well, the car did come with the proper rims, hubcaps and whitewall tires.  I installed the road wheels with the blackwalls cause it's just my mindset.  The white walls help the hubcaps to blend.  Chrome road wheels, in my opinion, do not need the help.  That being said, I do have raised white letter tires on my 69 GS..

tn_IMG_9013.JPG  10 30 autumn buicks0001.JPG

• Like 3

Took the opportunity to join a fellow buick enthusiast at a show in Parkland, Washington in the south part of Tacoma.  Meant an early morning for me, as it's a 3 hour drive from Vancouver, but definitely a good opportunity to stretch the legs of the Electra given it ended up being a 350 mile round trip.  Not a huge show, but combined with a street fair, it made for an enjoyable day.  Turned out to be a very hot day pushing 100 degrees, and the heat was evident by 8:30 when I arrived, but it was a cool run in the morning and the car ran great.

tn_DSCN3003.JPG

Arriving at the "Peach Arch"  border crossing just before 6am.  This is at the northern tip of the I5.

tn_DSCN3009.JPG

Sunrise with the morning mist still in the fields in Ferndale, WA

tn_DSCN3013.JPG

Sun just over the horizon casting a shadow of the Electra in Mount Vernon, WA

tn_DSCN3015.JPG

Over the bridge into Seattle

tn_DSCN3049.JPG

69 Wildcat convertible at the show

tn_DSCN3056.JPG

Modified 50 Sedanette.  This car won best 50's, but unfortunately runs a 350 Chev. Nicely done car though

tn_DSCN3067.JPG

67 Wildcat and Electra 225.  I love the color combo on the Wildcat... it also has buckets and console with a built in Tach. 

tn_DSCN3076.JPG

And just for JD, here's a rather poor sunset picture.  It was a long day, but the car ran flawlessly, even in the afternoon heat on the way back at a steady 65-70mph and got 14 mpg which is not bad considering the speed (it does a little better cruising at 60).  Luckily was able to dodge the typically poor Seattle traffic on the way back, and decided to run home with the top down instead of running the a/c

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Well, the car did come with the proper rims, hubcaps and whitewall tires.  I installed the road wheels with the blackwalls cause it's just my mindset.  The white walls help the hubcaps to blend.  Chrome road wheels, in my opinion, do not need the help.  That being said, I do have raised white letter tires on my 69 GS..

tn_IMG_9013.JPG  10 30 autumn buicks0001.JPG

Wow - the 'before & after' really capture the attitude shift the car has with only the wheel & tire change!  I like the stock appearance, but man, she looks like she means business in the 'after' shot...

• Like 2

Thanks Em Tee!  My brother said the same thing when he saw it.  The only problem I have right now is I changed the rear springs and now the back is too high.  I have to put in new front springs to get the right angle again. 

I took the '41 Roadmaster to a local cruise tonight. A very lovely night weather wise here in Toronto. I was a bit unsettled when we went to start the '56, as a connection in the gas pedal linkage separated at a joint just under the floor. Rather scary, as I have hardly moved it since we got home from the 900 mile drive. Sure glad it didn't happen while we were on the road.

Keith

Buick41Sml.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Last night I went to another local cruise in with the '41. A few interesting cars that I haven't seen before were there. A '73 Electra 4 door, in a slightly more orange colour than mine.

I was not able to talk to the owner too long, but he looked a 30 something guy, and loves the car. It looks to be quite original, and I think that velour type of material would be correct for the car, but I do not know for certain, but I'm sure that John will. Great cars, but rarely worth the money to do any serious restoration on them.

Plus a Canadian built army vehicle, called an Iltis, designed by Volkswagen, and built under license by Bombardier as an general light duty utility vehicle.

Also, rarely seen unless you're in the Edsel Club, 1960 Edsel, which was the last year, a short one at that, for this controversial car, and the love it/hate it horse collar grille was replaced by a less distinctive one, but was unable to stave off the inevitable.

Keith

Buick73FullSml.jpg

Buick73Int1Sml.jpg

Buick73Int2Sml.jpg

Iltis1Sml.jpg

Edsel1.jpg

Edsel2.jpg

• Like 1

Yup, that interior looks original to me...much like my '75 in a different colour. 

I seem to remember a hullabaloo surrounding the Iltis...contract signed for a light duty vehicle when that wasn't what our under-equipped land forces needed. 

Have a Fabulous Friday birthday Matt!

• Like 1

I had the '41 Roadmaster out for a short drive, only 8-10 miles, but it was nice to drive it. Also, I got the replacement door glass for the '56 Roadmaster, so I can put it back together soon.

Don't know if mentioned it, but when I went to move it back into the garage after I took the glass out of the door, the gas pedal linkage broke, at the joint right under floor where the shaft from the pedal goes through. So that needs fixing too, but I have been busy doing other things to get into working on that.

Keith

• Like 2

I took Goldie to cars & coffee this morning.

IMG_0648.jpg

The only other Riviera there today (or ever, as far as I know)...

IMG_0646.jpg

Also at C&C:

IMG_0653.jpg

On the way home I stopped for a 'glamor shot'...

IMG_0654.jpg

...and then when nearly home, we ran across this distant relative!

IMG_0655.jpg

A beautiful late summer Saturday morning!

• Like 4

The Manitoba Classic and Antique Auto Club had their annual corn roast today.  The host for over 30 years passed away earlier this summer, so there was a bit of a presentation to the family and I think that had something to do with a really good turnout.  Aside from the Wildcat and pace car (the latter came late), there was a '41 Limited and '57 Roadmaster for the Buick representation.  The weather was very nice and the company was pleasant.

2016cornroastIMG_2324.jpg

2016cornroastIMG_2325.jpg

2016cornroastIMG_2332.jpg

• Like 3

I didn't take any pictures, but I took my '60 Electra to a Cadillac Club ice cream social about 30 miles away yesterday. And I got my lactose intolerant friend who is just recovering from a stroke to follow me in his Rolls-Royce. I expected it to be pretty entertaining. Maybe it was later. He took a different route home.

What a great season for drives. The sunlight is really special this time of year.

Bernie

• Like 1

Once again I took the '41 Roadmaster to the local cruise. A nice warm night here in Toronto. After some carb adjustments, it is really running great, though I still have the cracked fan belt, so I'm not driving it far, or fast.

There was a nice '67 Wildcat there, that I hadn't seen before. The car, though very nice is still a bit of a work in progress, so it hasn't been out much yet.

I talked to the owner for a while, and the story is interesting. His first car was a '67 Wildcat, that he bought for $500., and he drove it for a while, but it had mechanical troubles, and his father made him get rid of it, but of all the cars he owned, this is the one he wished he could of had again. Over the years, he had looked for one from time to time, and a few years ago this one was for sale on the 'bay, so he bought it, had it shipped to Toronto and then had some restoration done on it. A nice solid car, but needing some work.

Keith

Wildcat3.jpg

Wildcat2.jpg

Wildcat1.jpg

• Like 4

So far, a really great Buick weekend, as I've driven all three, four if you count the '02 Rendezvous. I finally got the new fan belt from Bob's for the '41 yesterday, so I put it on right away, the fit was just right. Then I filled it with empty boxes and after supper we took it for a drive over to my Mother in Law's (old) place to pack up some more stuff from the house. Less than 10 miles, but at least I wasn't in fear of the fan belt breaking! For those that don't know, she passed away the very last day of Feb this year, and only a week before her 94th birthday.

Then today (Sat) I drove the '56 Roadmaster out to storage and brought the '69 Electra home for a few weeks. That's about 60 miles each way, terrible long weekend traffic on the way out, as this is a popular route to cottage country, but no other issues. Interesting driving the three right after one another.

So then I am going to change the timing chain cover on the Electra over the next few days.

Sunday there is a local tour for pre WWII cars, but I've promised my wife that I will help her pack up some more of her Mum's stuff, so I decided not to go, and did not know if I would get the fan belt in time. The weather here for the weekend is looking perfect, so perhaps I can sneak out with the car and have a small unofficial tour of my own!

Out near the storage facility we drop into a local Tim Horton's (it's Canada of course) for a bit of refreshment and there was a Unimog in the parking lot. Quite a machine! It was sporting some kind of European plates, not Ontario ones.

Keith

Unimog1.jpg

Unimog4.jpg

• Like 3

Had the GS out for a little bit today.  It's such a happy car.  But I am going to change the timing chain and gears just as soon as the backordered original style battery cables arrive.  The positive cable runs through a channel attached to the bottom of the engine and it just looks easier to remove and replace when the timing chain cover is off. 

10 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Had the GS out for a little bit today.  It's such a happy car.  But I am going to change the timing chain and gears just as soon as the backordered original style battery cables arrive.  The positive cable runs through a channel attached to the bottom of the engine and it just looks easier to remove and replace when the timing chain cover is off. 

John. I have the same task in mind for Goldie this winter.  Where did you source your timing set?

I got mine through Advance Auto. CARQUEST Kit part number 73045.  I have this set in the Queen and it has been good through Springfield MI and Allentown,PA meets. Plus a whole lot of other driving too.  However, I just thought of something. 

The 72 is the low compression 455.  My 69 and your 67 are much higher compression.  And I keep thinking of Keith's 69 crank gear failure.  I wonder if I should be using the more expensive set in the 69?  The visible difference in the sets are the holes cast into the cam gear.  The set I have has pretty large openings in the gear.  The more expensive set has smaller openings in the cam gear.  Otherwise the crank and chain look identical.  I just wonder if higher compression puts more stress on the cam and subsequently the cam gear and if that's not what may have contributed to Keith's situation? 

I'm going to see if I can get the other set up for the GS.  Otherwise I'll never be comfortable  with this.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, First Born said:

Very sharp!

Thanks, Ben!

I had to take one back to the plater's as part of it was not as bright as it should be. He told me that it was because the nickel had not been polished well enough before the chrome went on. Anyway, there are redoing it without any argument. I have had virtually all of the chrome work for the car done by them.

Keith

• Like 1

I took my wife and her sister to breakfast Saturday morning in Goldie.  On the way home we passed the bottle redemption shop and the same green '55 Special was outside just like last week (ref. the picture in last week's post).

P.S. Thanks , JohnD for the timing set info.  I'm going to look for a name-brand non-offshore part (if I can find one).  Rock Auto has a Cloyes set that might fit the bill http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=904136&cc=1319059&jsn=426.

• Like 1

I did manage to take the '41 out for a nice drive out to some scenic countryside in and around a small town I spent some years in when growing up. Much more built up now, even from a couple of years ago, and there is a parking lot in the exact spot our house once was.

I visited the cemetery where my grandparents and other friends and relatives are interred. Hope no one minds, but the car looked so nice with the trees as a backdrop, I took a few pictures.

The car ran great during the hour and a half drive, and beautiful weather as well.

Keith

BuickErskind1.jpg

BuickErskind2.jpg

• Like 3

Bride and I are reading to Michigan early in the morning.

Of course driving our 41 Limited.  70 plus MPH.  First stop is Flint, getting a private tour of Sloan museum at 1.  Since the Buick Bug is back on display I will be able to get up close and personal with it.  Some of you know I'm making a 1/4 scale model of it.  I need to add to my many photo's of it, missing is an overhead shot if the width provile.  David Langdon has provided to me many detailed measurements, and photo's, but this trip will help even more.  David will most likely be our guide, looking forward to meeting him for sure.  He has been so much help with this build.

Then later in the day we will visit Sharon's birth home in north Detroit.  Her parents the year she was born, 1940, built a new home for $3,000.00, bought a new Ford for $700.00, and she was born.  We did a satellite view of her home, and it appears to be a nice neighborhood.

Thursday we will hook up with Michigan friends of over 50 years.  Friday and Saturday us guys will attend the car show in Frankenmuth Michigan along a beautiful river.  Frankenmuth is a great city, the girls have lots planned, and we all meet up at night for a great meal together.

Sunday we will head south to Indy, COASTING all the way, it is downhill you know.  .hehe 

Grandson's BD is Monday so can't miss that.

Fun time, FUN IS GOOD!

Dale in Indy

P.S. This will be the first time folks will see the Sweep Spear I just installed.  It is an inspiration of the Brunn rendering of 1940, but was never built.  I love it.

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)
  • Like 2

There was a big car show here today but I ignored it. I figured the pace car had seen enough miles for the year and will be needing the garage space in the city so I drove it out to the country. There Luke and I pulled the truck out and hooked up the trailer for an adventure to get the next addition (photos are on the computer that is presently acting up so it will be another post tomorrow). 

The the end count is that I drove one Buick, pushed and pulled another, and saw almost all of my Buicks (three project cars are in another building I didn't enter today) today. 

• Like 1

Took my wife, daughter, son-in-law and grandson to Sno Top yesterday for ice cream and then stopped to the swan pond to see the ducks.  The local Model A club hosted their car show in Wampsville yesterday so we saw several 50's and 60's cars traveling on Rt. 5.  Also, a nice 1924 Packard convertible pulled in as we were eating our ice cream!

• Like 1

Took 'Roger the Roadmaster' to church rummage sale Saturday. (Put lots of finds in the trunk!)

:o

• Like 1

We took the '69 Electra out to visit my daughter on Sunday, and did some other driving around for a total of over 200 miles. It ran great the whole day.

At a corner, there was a small shop with a few cars parked out front. A Cadillac Allante, and a slightly modified '53 Buick. Shaved door handles, white and gold paint, and an interesting custom mod to the steering wheel and spinner.

Dual exhaust out of the back, so it was sporting some kind a V8, but there was no one there. By the look of the dash, I'm thinking that it was a Special, but all the badging had been removed.

Keith

Buick53Mod1.jpg

Buick53Mod2.jpg

Keith Electra.jpg

• Like 2

https://www.flickr.com/x/t/0098009/photos/wtkern/sets/72157673672462015/

Larry Schramm and I ran the Dearborn to Lansing to Dearborn One and Two Cylinder Run on Thursday and Friday of last week as a 'modern' support vehicle in my 1923 Buick. ~240 miles.  Fun to work on some of the really early cars and to help and meet some really fine people.  My Buick's entire back seat was loaded with tools, floor jack, jack stands, compressor, extra battery, gallons of fluids, luggage, etc..  Name something useful, we had it onboard (tow strap being #1).

If you like early brass cars, lots of nice pictures in the attached link including a few (4?) Buicks (3 F's for certain).  We never saw some of the cars, I saw them for the first time in the link, as we were helping those needing assistance and tail-end-Charlie and the well running cars were well ahead.  No Buicks had their hood up.  Thursday was wet and some of these cars have no top, windscreen, doors or fenders or lights or some missing combination.

Also drove my Buick 130 miles round trip from Fenton, MI on Sunday to attend the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village (The Henry Ford), this time in the sunshine.

• Like 3